Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil2005

May 2, 2012
On Insider Trading tonight they said the ducks are trying to offload Corey Perry and his contract. He has 2 years left at 8.25. Would Bergy be interested in taking on that contract if the ducks were to sweeten the pot and offer one of their top d prospects (Jacob Larsson or Josh Mahura)to take on Perry's cap hit.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A Flyers fan on this main boards proposed this trade:

Ghost, 11th oa, 2020 1st top 10 protected and Ratcliffe

for

Petry, 15th oa, 2021 1st unprotected and Ylönen

I think it’s pretty fair. Would you guys do this trade?

That's the kind of trade that you can look at and see the benefits from both sides.

The trade would need to be done after July 1st, though. Because before you move Petry, you need to make sure you have his role on the team covered. Because if you move Petry without covering his spot, even if you bring in Gostisbehere, you plugged a hole while opening another. Then you're back to square one, you're still missing a Top-4 D.

So if I can fantasize for a moment. If Habs succeed in signing Karlsson as a UFA, then this trade makes too much sense not to do it.

I really like Ylönen. I would hesitate to move him. But bringing in Ratcliffe is a good trade-off. And the motivation I can see the Habs having to move for Ratcliffe is that since Suzuki was traded to Guelph, the two of them had chemistry. So there is familiarity there for the two young players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That’s right. Keep on forgetting him, it’s as remote and speculative as it gets.
Yes, I was kidding... but still secretly, or not so secretly hoping.

It will be interesting to see just how high the salaries go in free agency. It seems like most high end guys aren't asking for more than 11 million. Although they could get much more that that if they opened up to the highest bidder. Meanwhile, less high end guys like Skinner and Brock Nelson are going at highest bidder prices.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It will be interesting to see just how high the salaries go in free agency. It seems like most high end guys aren't asking for more than 11 million. Although they could get much more that that if they opened up to the highest bidder. Meanwhile, less high end guys like Skinner and Brock Nelson are going at highest bidder prices.

We all like to dream and it’s not a bad thing.

I wonder what Skinner’s contract means in terms of setting a baseline for the better UFAs. Can’t possibly be good news.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
On Insider Trading tonight they said the ducks are trying to offload Corey Perry and his contract. He has 2 years left at 8.25. Would Bergy be interested in taking on that contract if the ducks were to sweeten the pot and offer one of their top d prospects (Jacob Larsson or Josh Mahura)to take on Perry's cap hit.

On the same Insider Trading, they mention the Ducks are looking to get younger, which is a reason they want to either trade or possibly buy out Perry. I doubt they'd look to move two of their better defensive prospects.

But Mahura is someone I've hoped the Habs target as a prospect if a deal with Anaheim is ever made. He's played with Cale Fleury in Regina, as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I wonder what Skinner’s contract means in terms of setting a baseline for the better UFAs. Can’t possibly be good news.

And if Brock Nelson gets 6, I could see guys like Marcus Johansson and Nyquist getting 5 or even 6 if they choose the highest bidder. Anders Lee may be in 8 or 9 territory. I think EK could get 12 or 13 if he held out for it from someone, but I could see him sticking at 11 to go somewhere he wants and to leave cap room on the table to be better able to win.

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You don't always have to follow the village idiot. Everyone knows it's a bad contract.
Skinner is like Pacioretty for me in terms of player/Production, should not have get more money than Max, that's for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You don't always have to follow the village idiot. Everyone knows it's a bad contract.
Skinner is like Pacioretty for me in terms of player/Production, should not have get more money than Max, that's for sure.

It’s not about following the idiot but what the market will bear. I can’t see how the Skinner contract won’t have an inflationary effect on elite UFA signings, for a market that is already inflated on account of its intrinsic auction-like character.

Reactions: Vachon23

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Usually top end UFA have their priorities for EK, and that's something that has been talked about since his trade, his wife would like to be closer to home. If that's true, then there's no doubt Montreal has a shot. But that's only if it's true and if it's really high on their priority list.

But for all we know, maybe she would like to be closer than San Jose…...but it's doesn't need to be the nearest city either.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It’s not about following the idiot but what the market will bear. I can’t see how the Skinner contract won’t have an inflationary effect on elite UFA signings, for a market that is already inflated on account of its intrinsic auction-like character.

It will, to a point. No doubt.

Having said that, this isn’t a high volume efficient market where things are bid to a price that accurately reflects their value. It’s a low volume game here.

We’ve all seen cases where a player might wait too long to sign and find himself with limited options.
We’ve also seen cases where a desperate team jumps the gun and overpays.

The point is, it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a perception that Skinner is part of the latter scenario and equal players are signed for less.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It will, to a point. No doubt.

Having said that, this isn’t a high volume efficient market where things are bid to a price that accurately reflects their value. It’s a low volume game here.

We’ve all seen cases where a player might wait too long to sign and find himself with limited options.
We’ve also seen cases where a desperate team jumps the gun and overpays.

The point is, it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a perception that Skinner is part of the latter scenario and equal players are signed for less.

I think we also have to factor into the equation that a team like Buffalo is a lot like Montreal in that they are not a destination-team and have a much harder time attracting high level UFAs. Hence the high premium paid by Buffalo to retain a player who wouldn't even acknowledge them in the open market.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Usually top end UFA have their priorities for EK, and that's something that has been talked about since his trade, his wife would like to be closer to home. If that's true, then there's no doubt Montreal has a shot. But that's only if it's true and if it's really high on their priority list.

But for all we know, maybe she would like to be closer than San Jose…...but it's doesn't need to be the nearest city either.

I think he's going to New York. It's an hour flight from Ottawa, his wife's a model - it's the fashion capital of North America - and Lunqvist is a friend. But he may prefer a quieter lifestyle, a team closer to contention now, etc... Who knows.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Interesting thought but I believe he can be had in a package for less, so I wouldn't consider it. Sure, he was a high draft pick but a lot has happened to bring down his value, since.

Bob Mac said again few days ago on Vancouver1040 radio, Jesse Puljujarvi wants out of Edmonton...a sticky situation too for Oilers ,cause he needs a new contract before season starts.

I would gamble with our 15th...give it to Edmonton(seems like a fair deal),that's a former 4th overall(who hasn't looked like a 4th) for a 15th ...and sign Jessie long term deal....and roll the dice.

One thing i do believe Holland will deal him to the East..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bob Mac said again few days ago on Vancouver1040 radio, Jesse Puljujarvi wants out of Edmonton...a sticky situation too for Oilers ,cause he needs a new contract before season starts.

I would gamble with our 15th...give it to Edmonton(seems like a fair deal),that's a former 4th overall(who hasn't looked like a 4th) for a 15th ...and sign Jessie long term deal....and roll the dice.

One thing i do believe Holland will deal him to the East..

I beg to differ even if I could be proven wrong. I think he can probably be had in a package involving other pieces that would not require the Habs to cough up their 15th in a draft year that provides quite the opportunity to land a pretty good asset.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he also say something about bolting to the KHL?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I beg to differ even if I could be proven wrong. I think he can probably be had in a package involving other pieces that would not require the Habs to cough up their 15th in a draft year that provides quite the opportunity to land a pretty good asset.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he also say something about bolting to the KHL?

nope, agent says he's playing in NHL...

15 th could be another McCarron really...

Jesse Puljujarvi some had him as low as 3rd overall...

Runner, sometimes you gamble, it pays ...

If they could lock JP into a 5 yr deal, could end up a steal or bust...ok...but that 15th we get this year could bust too...

I really would take the chance on it, Oilers won't give him away(3rd round pick) ...they play him and if he goes off big in first 3 months of season , the price will be 3 times as high to get him ...

roll with house money ...

we can always get another 15th overall pick next year..

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I think we also have to factor into the equation that a team like Buffalo is a lot like Montreal in that they are not a destination-team and have a much harder time attracting high level UFAs. Hence the high premium paid by Buffalo to retain a player who wouldn't even acknowledge them in the open market.

Exactly.
I’m not sure if desperate was the right word to use, but your scenario is one example of the ‘desperation’ I was referring to. Desperate because of high taxes, or market, or weak roster, or ownership issues, or GM on the hot seat. Something that triggers an overpayment in an inefficient market.

Reactions: Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Skinner makes nicer passes, Pacioretty is a cherry picker.

Skinner does have better playmaking. But Max can kill penalties with his reach and speed, and he isn’t really a liability at even strength. Skinner is pretty poor when he’s not scoring.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
nope, agent says he's saying to play in NHL...

15 th could be another McCarron really...

Jesse Puljujarvi some had him as low as 3rd overall...

Runner, sometimes you gamble, it pays ...

If they could lock JP into a 5 yr deal, could end up a steal or bust...ok...but that 15th we get this year could bust too...

I really would take the chance on it, Oilers won't give him away(3rd round pick) ...they play him and if he goes off big in first 3 months of season , the price will be 3 times as high to get him ...

roll with house money ...

we can always get another 15th overall pick next year..lol

When it comes to young players like that, one can never be 100% certain which is why I always make sure to say that it's only my opinion.

My approach is premised on taking advantage of the Oil having mishandled him, the player not having shown any or much progress and now his agent asking for a trade. That screams at me as a bargain to be had. Maybe I'm misreading the situation and someone will pay more, I'm just not convinced right now with the variables we have.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I think he's going to New York. It's an hour flight from Ottawa, his wife's a model - it's the fashion capital of North America - and Lunqvist is a friend. But he may prefer a quieter lifestyle, a team closer to contention now, etc... Who knows.

My guess is NYR. Full disclosure, it usually is. They’re usually the safest bet. Come to think of it ... it’s often for the same reason - the GF or wife is a model, etc.

Regarding the short plane ride to Ottawa, also consider that she might want her family to come to her. Might be easier to ask mom and dad to drive a couple hrs in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad