Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Would you consider Drouin to the NY Islanders for : Keiffer Bellows and their 2019 1st round pick (23rd OA) - to select Samual Poulin

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Would you consider Drouin to the NY Islanders for : Keiffer Bellows and their 2019 1st round pick (23rd OA) - to select Samual Poulin
I doubt a move like that would happen.

I think like most posters are saying Bergevin might need to make the playoffs this upcoming season.

That nice while I have no issues with the value, just seems like it would hurt the Habs for this upcoming season offensively. I know Drouin is not the greatest as he plays when he wants to but he is still at minimum a 50pt player which the Habs need.

I get that it would also open more cap space to say get Duchene but we would need to get someone to also replace Drouins production as the goal was to add on to what we have not subtract and add a piece and not full say a departing Drouin at least for this season until Bellows is fully ready.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Risky but I do like the idea. Problem is skilled players young like Drouin and with term don't usually get traded for futures only. I do like Bellows but he had 19 pts in 73 AHL games this past year. This is a prime example of a player who was very good in their draft +1 and +2 years of development but was meh once they played their first pro year. Heck, Hudon had 57 pts in 75 AHL games when he was 20 in his 1st pro year. Bellows could buts out but he could also disappoint like Scherbak or Hudon.

It's possible that you trade Drouin for two futures who end up bottom 6 players. If Drouin turns into a 60-80 pts forward on another team, boy oh boy, that would be a bad trade.

I would be asking for more in return for Drouin or we try to do another Galchenyuk/Domi type swap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Someone check this for me? Trying to figure out what the actual money is if we unload Alzner (Lets say we retain 33%), and the team that takes him on buys him out after next season. I believe the answer is around $5M of actual money over 5 years? But how does buy outs work when another team has retention? Can someone break down how this looks in both cap hits and actual money?

19/20: $4.625 - $1.5M (33%) = $3.10M
* Buyout happens June of 2020
20/21: $833k - $275k = $558k
21/22: $833k - $275k = $558k
22/23: $833k - $275k = $558k
23/24: $833k - $275k = $558k

Does the total money to write off = $5.33M? How does the cap hits look? Does the Habs cap hits change depending on if the other team buys Alzner out or not? Wonder how retention works with this.

Regardless, the main question is what is the actual money that has to be written off if we trade Alzner with 33% retention by the other team? My guess is it's somewhere around $5.33M spread over 5 seasons and over half of it in the 1st season. If this is correct, it's double the amount of money we wrote off with Mason and that return us Armia, 4th, 7th so is is reasonable to assume we would have to double the assets?

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
Maybe replacing Bellows with Dal Colle make it more attractive

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
He fell off a cliff in the AHL. I don't know.
Poulin would be the main piece coming back, imo.

I don’t watch AHL games, I find with players like Bellows it’s 50/50 whether they can do alright at the NHL level. Some just can’t vibe in the AHL, I liked what I saw before the draft and I certainly hope he’s better then mediocre at the NHL level.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm sure Dallas wants Zuccarello back but dont want to give up the 1st. What if they traded him to us, we resign him, then we trade him back to them? I know teams cant trade their UFAs signing until a certain date, but would that rule still apply if the player was signed before July 1?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He fell off a cliff in the AHL. I don't know.

This is why we need to be careful with our Grade A assets like Romanov, Poehling, Brook, and Suzuki. Draft +1 and +2 years of development is the first step of many to prove your a top NHL talent. How you do against men when you turn pro is the next step and some players struggle at it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sure Dallas wants Zuccarello back but dont want to give up the 1st. What if they traded him to us, we resign him, then we trade him back to then? I know teams cant trade their UFAs signing until a certain date, but would that rule still apply if the player was signed before July 1?

Dirty and I like it!

Reactions: the

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's probably unrealistic and we wouldnt get much of an asset for doing that, but hey it's a free asset for doing absolutely nothing. Maybe a 3rd or a 4th? Let's not forget that they can do that with pretty much any other team.

I guess you got to find a GM that is willing to play ball like that.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
I'm sure Dallas wants Zuccarello back but dont want to give up the 1st. What if they traded him to us, we resign him, then we trade him back to them? I know teams cant trade their UFAs signing until a certain date, but would that rule still apply if the player was signed before July 1?

good question,/possibility.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's probably unrealistic and we wouldnt get much of an asset for doing that, but hey it's a free asset for doing absolutely nothing. Maybe a 3rd or a 4th? Let's not forget that they can do that with pretty much any other team.

A player traded from one team to another, then traded back can't play any games. Now, if that's for the rest of the season, or a calendar year, I'm not sure.

It happens with Calgary and Dean McAmmond a while ago and would have happened this year with Pittsburgh and Hagelin.

I would just be happy if they get Ghost from Philly. Give them a second and Lek. That should do it.

You better offer this over the phone, because in person the other GM has ever right to deck you.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

HABNIKO

Jun 29, 2015
Montreal
Money and term is in question regarding elite UFA's, should we really take that risk?
I'd rather just sign Nyquist and Ferland and stay away from big contracts.
Who do we trade away to make room is another issue.

HABNIKO

Jun 29, 2015
Montreal
I don't think all will return to normal with Drouin in Montreal unless Habs sign Duchene.
Drouin has lost favor with the fan base here and that will be next to impossible to restore in my opinion.

Reactions: Runner77

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Don't know Bellows that well. But something I would be open to. I am not a big Drouin fan
He’s a natural goal scorer, if he made the Habs he’d be on our PP for sure (whether it’s first or second unit remains to be seen), and he’d probably end up as a middle six winger. He’s a need, more of a power forward type but I don’t see him throwing his weight around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad