Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Kotkaniemi is 6'2, 185 and got thrown to the ice by the current of a player skating by. Difference is Kotka is 18, and will fill out and put on weight.

Eriksson is 34, and wont be putting on any more muscle. If he eats enough hot dogs, then maybe he could put on a a pound or two but ya...

jokes aside, he is not what i, or anyone should consider a big body lol

Armia is a big body, Weber is a big body.

How’s he compare to Tatar, Byron, Lehkonen and Drouin? Hint, he’s bigger than all of them.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Eriksson also had his best years under Julien. Big body with something to prove. Van might have to eat some of it but better than Lucic as a trading partner. Maybe add in Edlers rights before the deadline as well.
Eriksson was a 70 pts forward with good two way play already before joining the B's... and that's where he started slowing down actually.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Eriksson was a 70 pts forward with good two way play already before joining the B's... and that's where he started slowing down actually.

Don't bother-he must be thinking of another Loui Eriksson. The 6'5 230 big bodied 90 pt forward who played for the Bruins :sarcasm:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'm probably in the minority, but with all the contracts coming up in 2021 (Poeling, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Gallagher, Petry), I would not spend 9 m x 7 y on a Duchesne right now. I'm more a fan of acquiring assets for short term cap dumps, and then using those assets to complement the roster with rentals if need be at the trade deadline, depending on how team performs.

Develop the kids first, see what you have. Domi/Danault can certainly shelter them enough if need be.

It's likely one or the other. If they sign Duchene, they won't have a lot of room to acquire Cap dumps. Either direction could work. I don't have a preference - I'd have to know what assets are available from teams looking to save Cap space. If it's more depth - a la Armia - then perhaps we're better off with Duchene.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm probably in the minority, but with all the contracts coming up in 2021 (Poeling, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Gallagher, Petry), I would not spend 9 m x 7 y on a Duchesne right now. I'm more a fan of acquiring assets for short term cap dumps, and then using those assets to complement the roster with rentals if need be at the trade deadline, depending on how team performs.

Develop the kids first, see what you have. Domi/Danault can certainly shelter them enough if need be.

Fair comment for sure. I'm interested in Duchene but not desperate for him. I totally support not spending our cap space if we feel we can capitalize on a better top of the line-up player at a later point in time.

VoladorJr

May 6, 2019
Hi !

I'm a big fan of Kevin Labanc. Well, I'm a fan of his usage on the PowerPlay in SJ. Him playing the right point would be a great fit for Montreal. It would allow Weber to play the left-middle side.

I understand that Labanc is a RFA that might have seen his stats inflated by playing with some good offensive players. Let's say he would command 5 to 6 M. At 23 years old, I would pay that kind of money for his skillset.

I would offer Danault for Labanc. I don't think MTL or SJ would add - Danault is a UFA two-years from now, is 3 years older, but would fit perfectly as a 3rd line center on a contender that needs cap-space. He would slot behind Couture and Hertl, giving San Jose and ideal shutdown center, allowing Couture and Hertl to draw faceoffs in the o-zone more often.

I would do that trade, only if Montreal signs Duchene.

Centers : Duchene, Domi, KK, Weal
LW : Drouin, Tatar, Lehkonen (RFA), Byron
RW : Gallagher, Labanc, Shaw, Armia (RFA)
Extra : Thompson, Peca, Deslaurier, Hudon (RFA)

RD : Weber, Petry, Juulsen
LD : Mete, Kulak, Reilly (RFA)
Extra : Folin

Let's say Duchene : 9,5 M, and Labanc : 5,5 M. It's a 15 M investment, minus Danault (3,083M$). At the end, we're looking at 11,917 M$ investment. It's a lot, considering Montreal needs to address the LD position.

What do you think?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
With the Flyers trading for Braun, they have quite the set of defensemen now, I assume something has to give.

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Gostisbehere
Hagg - Braun
Morin - Myers

That's too many defensemen who deserve quality minutes

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Why would Vancouver dump Erikssons contract to absorb 2 cap dumps that costs them an extra 1m/ year. Makes 0 sense for them. It's a two way street.

they aren't contending this year, absorbing the extra bit of cap this year is a non-issue. Creating the space over the following two years is a benefit to them, as is unloading a player that has publicly (in sweden) voiced his displeasure/discord with their coach.

Alzner might even be able to crack their roster, and if so, adds some veteran presence on defense (of which they have very little of with Edler's departure).

puts them in a better situation than being stuck with/burying Eriksson for the next three years.

buy-out could be preferable, of course.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) Offer sheet Meier... $6M x 7 years. Divide that by 5 years and it's $8.4M. That's right under the threshold of 1st, 2nd, 3rd (vs 2-1st, 2nd, 3rd if it's higher than $8.45M). Plus we get to keep our 2019 picks cause the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, would be from the 2020 draft.

2) Tatar for Leddy. If we have to retain or add something, do it.

Still $2.6M in cap space with a $82M cap.

KFzwst7.jpg

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
With the Flyers trading for Braun, they have quite the set of defensemen now, I assume something has to give.

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Gostisbehere
Hagg - Braun
Morin - Myers

That's too many defensemen who deserve quality minutes
A Flyers fan on FB mentioned that Hagg would go before Ghost if it were up to him. Would make more sense from a upside POV.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
1) Offer sheet Meier... $6M x 7 years. Divide that by 5 years and it's $8.4M. That's right under the threshold of 1st, 2nd, 3rd (vs 2-1st, 2nd, 3rd if it's higher than $8.45M). Plus we get to keep our 2019 picks cause the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, would be from the 2020 draft.

2) Tatar for Leddy. If we have to retain or add something, do it.

Still $2.6M in cap space with a $82M cap.

KFzwst7.jpg

That's a very risky proposition...

Do Leddy & Meier (minus Tatar) really propel this roster to sure fire playoff team? I'd be skeptical.

A bit of regression and/or average injury issues, and we're right back to a non-playoff team with risk of being a lottery team.

Can you imagine ending up giving away a lottery pick that turns into Lafreniere!!!???!!!

I like Meier, but he isn't impactful enough (especially in our group, where he'd have far less support than he had in his breakout year with SJ) to warrant that kind of risk... Not unless there other significant roster upgrades (Leddy not nearly enough)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's a very risky proposition...

Do Leddy & Meier (minus Tatar) really propel this roster to sure fire playoff team? I'd be skeptical.

A bit of regression and/or average injury issues, and we're right back to a non-playoff team with risk of being a lottery team.

Can you imagine ending up giving away a lottery pick that turns into Lafreniere!!!???!!!

I like Meier, but he isn't impactful enough (especially in our group, where he'd have far less support than he had in his breakout year with SJ) to warrant that kind of risk... Not unless there other significant roster upgrades (Leddy not nearly enough)

- I think Drouin plays well with Danault and Gallagher.
- I think Meier is a good piece to add on the LW side for now and the future.
- I think this would be our best D we had in decades.
- The only way it turns into a top 10 lottery shot is if we have multiple injuries to key players. When our core is healthy, we are a playoff contender. That has been proven time and time again

Risky to do a offer sheet for sure but the only way I see the Habs winning a draft lottery is if we have another disaster season in terms of injuries. If you feel there is a chance for this, then yes, you don't make the move.

The other option is to work a trade for Meier and avoid the offer sheet. Pretty sure I would do Suzuki and a 2nd for Meier

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I ventured over to the main Trade board thread, something I rarely do, and someone posted Tatar for Leddy.

And while i'm sure there could be other moving parts around that, that seems like a reasonable/plausible base for a deal.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
- I think Drouin plays well with Danault and Gallagher.
- I think Meier is a good piece to add on the LW side for now and the future.
- I think this would be our best D we had in decades.
- The only way it turns into a top 10 lottery shot is if we have multiple injuries to key players. When our core is healthy, we are a playoff contender. That has been proven time and time again

Risky to do a offer sheet for sure but the only way I see the Habs winning a draft lottery is if we have another disaster season in terms of injuries. If you feel there is a chance for this, then yes, you don't make the move.

Yup, and there is indeed a chance if we deal with even moderate/average injury issues.

This roster is only a playoff contender if we have near league best injury luck (as we did last year) and the majority of the roster matching or exceeding career best performance (also as we had last year).

Banking on both happening again, or Leddy/Meier being enough to mitigate the downside if things regress to the mean, is a bad bet.... Amplified by the potential lottery prize that Lafreniere represents. Easy pass.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I ventured over to the main Trade board thread, something I rarely do, and someone posted Tatar for Leddy.

And while i'm sure there could be other moving parts around that, that seems like a reasonable/plausible base for a deal.

I posted that trade offer and got the idea from someone on our boards. It makes sense to me.

Edit: What's very weird is I made the trade offer and went back to find out someone else made the same offer. It's got me thinking now

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yup, and there is indeed a chance if we deal with even moderate/average injury issues.

This roster is only a playoff contender if we have near league best injury luck (as we did last year) and the majority of the roster matching or exceeding career best performance (also as we had last year).

Banking on both happening again, or Leddy/Meier being enough to mitigate the downside is things regress to the mean, is a bad bet. Easy pass.

I added a part to the last post... Work a trade for Meier after you tell them we have a offer sheet agreement but have not signed yet. I'd trade Suzuki and a 2nd for Meier. Some say it's overpayment and that is fair but I think that offer would be close to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Maybe change the 2nd for a 3rd?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I added a part to the last post... Work a trade for Meier after you tell them we have a offer sheet agreement but have not signed yet. I'd trade Suzuki and a 2nd for Meier.

Hmmm interesting. Not sure I'd trade Suzuki at this point. Upside potential strikes me a higher than Meier's, though downside also higher.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hmmm interesting. Not sure I'd trade Suzuki at this point. Upside potential strikes me a higher than Meier's, though downside also higher.

I think Suzuki will be an offensive top 6F that puts people in their seats but I also think he is the type to disappear in a 7 game playoff war. I like Suzuki a lot but I don't have him as a future superstar or for sure top line talent.

Agree on the upside vs downside comment

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think Suzuki will be an offensive top 6F that puts people in their seats but I also think he is the type to disappear in a 7 game playoff war. I like Suzuki a lot but I don't have him as a future superstar or for sure top line talent.

Agree on the upside vs downside comment

Odd... Looking at the kid dominate and elevate his game on the way to the memorial Cup tournament, I don't think he's a risk to shrink from high pressure moments or the grind of long playoffs... Bigger concern is wether he can translate his performance to the pros, which is no-given. If he does though, he seems to have a gamer mindset rather than a wallflower

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Odd... Looking at the kid dominate and elevate his game on the way to the memorial Cup tournament, I don't think he's a risk to shrink from high pressure moments or the grind of long playoffs... Bigger concern is wether he can translate his performance to the pros, which is no-given. If he does though, he seems to have a gamer mindset rather than a wallflower

Drouin dominated in the CHL as well. Players like this who are not physically strong take a while once they play games against men. I like Suzuki a lot but mark my words, in 12 months time after he plays against men for one year, the hope and hype is going to be toned down a bit.

But hey, there are no guarantees either way. I just see the reasons why Vegas traded Suzuki+ for Patch. It happened right after they got to see his game at camp and they got to see how he looks against men. It was a calculated risk they felt they could do based on what they saw. This is not just about offensive ability, this is about complete game and ability to produce with less time and space. Suzuki has a lot of development work to do

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Drouin dominated in the CHL as well. Players like this who are not physically strong take a while once they play games against men. I like Suzuki a lot but mark my words, in 12 months time after he plays against men for one year, the hope and hype is going to be toned down a bit.

But hey, there are no guarantees either way. I just see the reasons why Vegas traded Suzuki+ for Patch. It happened right after they got to see his game at camp and they got to see how he looks against men. It was a calculated risk they felt they could do based on what they saw. This is not just about offensive ability, this is about complete game and ability to produce with less time and space. Suzuki has a lot of development work to do

Sure, that wasn't my point. You identified concern that he'd struggle in the playoffs. My response was that I find that an odd assessment for reasons I explained.

That he may struggle with the transition to the NHL as a whole, like Drouin has, I already acknowledged and pointed out in the very first reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad