Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
CLAUSE DETAILS: Lists 8 teams he can NOT be traded to

May be academic in the end, Neal may nix a deal.

Assuming he wouldn't, he doesn't fit where the Habs are going. He's not a great skater. He's got size and would be useful on the PP but the extra contract year and greater salary vs. Alzner makes him unpalatable.

Alzner can be buried and bought out. Why add another ball and chain.
yeah I'm against it.

The positive side is, for an extra 2 million in cap space (Alzner's contract is 1 million cheaper, plus we save about 1 million by having him in the minors), plus an extra year with a cap hit of 5.75 million, we get a player that up until this year, had a long track record of being, over an 82 game pace, a 25 goal, 45-50 point guy with size. Not bad for 2 million in cap space.

The negative side, and the reason I don't do it, is his age - what we see this year could easily be what we'll get for the next 4 years, given his age and that the game is getting faster.

Reactions: Runner77

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I always thought it would be a fun thing to have all the eliminated teams announce trades throughout the playoffs.

Of course, the rationale against it is how those dealing now don't have the advantage of being able to shop with all NHL teams, however, there must be some teams that have working offers that they could now attempt to finalize.

I'd love to see a blockbuster trade during the playoffs.

That's my "looking for Sasquatch" in terms of NHL happenings for sure.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Leafs in serious cap trouble with 68 million tied up in 9 players.

To MTL: Nylander, Marleau
To Tor: Paul Byron

Reactions: jaffy27

Gandalf The Habs Fan

Oct 29, 2012
Québec
Does a Nylander-Drouin woud make sense...Tor need a playoff performer and save all the money they can and even if Im not a big Nylander fan, Drouin in Mtl is not gonna end well. I think we should trade him. Would you do it, does Toronto do it?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nylander was a ghost this series. He’d be eaten alive here.

It's a roll of the dice. He put up big numbers at a young age before this year - but playing with Matthews. I think he was just off from missing camp and his value is at an all time low. I'd sacrifice Byron to take a chance on him. But, I think the Leafs will get more for him - and I definitely think he's getting traded this summer.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The question was about a one for one:

To Calgary: Alzner
To Mtl: James Neal

So, your answer is no, you wouldn't do it.

Of course, if we start adding pieces, then it becomes an Armia deal, which is a whole other question.

My bad, didn't see the previous posts...

Yes, clearly a 1-for-1 doesn't make much sense because we have no pressing need to free up Alzner's dead cap space & it only makes sense if we are leveraging Calgary's need by getting assets in the process.

The "Armia" type deals are exactly what we should be focused on this summer & upcoming season.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Does a Nylander-Drouin woud make sense...Tor need a playoff performer and save all the money they can and even if Im not a big Nylander fan, Drouin in Mtl is not gonna end well. I think we should trade him. Would you do it, does Toronto do it?

Not trading for that soft ass overpaid bum and I'm not even talking about Drouin.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

No. Drouins a better player. I believe in him. And he makes like 5 million. Keep him

Apr 28, 2010
The question was about a one for one:

To Calgary: Alzner
To Mtl: James Neal

So, your answer is no, you wouldn't do it.

Of course, if we start adding pieces, then it becomes an Armia deal, which is a whole other question.

Thats crazy. I just suggested that to a coworker.

I'd totally do it!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would never help them with their cap issues.

If you believe Nylander just had a bad year after missing camp, but will be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer and 60 point guy for years to come, I think it's clearly worth it. He's only 22.

Apr 28, 2010
If you believe Nylander just had a bad year after missing camp, but will be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer and 60 point guy for years to come, I think it's clearly worth it. He's only 22.

I'm gonna pass. They have to make room for Suzuki anyway. I'd rather gamble on a rookie over Nylander+contract

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm gonna pass. They have to make room for Suzuki anyway. I'd rather gamble on a rookie over Nylander+contract

I know where you're coming from. But, in my books there's no rush to make room for our waiver eligible players. If it comes down to adding good pieces for the present and future versus reserving spots for Suzuki, and even KK and Poehling, I'd rather add the pieces. I have zero doubt that Suzuki, Poehling, and KK could learn a lot and develop well playing 20 minutes a night in all situations in Laval - if we're stacked in Montreal. Then, next year, or mid way through this year, you trade players for assets (I would love to have multiple 1sts and 2nds in the coming drafts) to make room for them if they're knocking the door down.

Apr 28, 2010
I know where you're coming from. But, in my books there's no rush to make room for our waiver eligible players. If it comes down to adding good pieces for the present and future versus reserving spots for Suzuki, and even KK and Poehling, I'd rather add the pieces. I have zero doubt that Suzuki, Poehling, and KK could learn a lot and develop well playing 20 minutes a night in all situations in Laval - if we're stacked in Montreal. Then, next year, or mid way through this year, you trade players for assets (I would love to have multiple 1sts and 2nds in the coming drafts) to make room for them if they're knocking the door down.

7 million for the next 5 years is just too much for me. It makes me kinda feel bad for Gallagher.

And trading for him after not resigning Radulov is just a little hard for me to accept.

Domi will also need to be resigned by 2020-21. I'd give him a Nylander type-contract.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
7 million for the next 5 years is just too much for me. It makes me kinda feel bad for Gallagher.

And trading for him after not resigning Radulov is just a little hard for me to accept.

Domi will also need to be resigned by 2020-21. I'd give him a Nylander type-contract.

I hear you. But is the fact that Gallagher is way under payed reason to not add other good players, let's say that are paid at or a little above their worth but bring offense? Nylander may become a 25 goal 70 point guy.

And imo, Gallagher is worth at least 7 million...

If Domi keeps playing like this, imo, he may even be worth 8 or 9.

But I get your point.

At any rate I think the Leafs could get a good young D for Nylander, or hold on to him to see if he can get back to 20 goals and 60 points and then have better trade value. Leafs would probably want at least Juulsen for Nylander, and then get rid of Marleau's contract in a separate transaction.

Reactions: No More Subban

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I dont see Nylander being a dominant player. He is a 50-60 pts player imp but for Drouin I would do it

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Leafs in serious cap trouble with 68 million tied up in 9 players.

To MTL: Nylander, Marleau
To Tor: Paul Byron
f*** it, I'd do it. Just because Nylander will be great trade bait.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I'd rather try and trade Drouin for Ehlers and a pick, plus eat some cap space to help Win with its Cap situation.

Drouin + Petry at half price for Ehlers, Big Buff and a 2nd round pick. 4.85M difference between Petry at half price and Big Buff for the same two years term remaining. Another 500K difference between Drouin and Ehlers for a total savings of 5.35M. Certainly helps give WIN Cap room to re-sign their RFAs in the short term and MON isn't worse off for the Cap crunch after two more seasons than it would've been with Petry. Only, now, there won't be an issue with not re-signing Byfuglien where there might have been with not re-signing Petry.

Reactions: Gandalf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nylander was a ghost this series. He’d be eaten alive here.

Pacioretty has been a ghost before in a series. Can't base a player's worth on 1 series. But, a bad series can really drive a player's value down.

It's great to buy low - the problem is you have to know which players have low value now, but will go way up in the future. That's what happened when we signed Radulov, and traded for Domi and Tatar. I would have also liked to have gotten Skinner and Perron this past summer because they also seemed to be undervalued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad