Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'd like to take advantage of Vegas cap situation. Go after Karlsson and/or Gusev.

That was my thought a while back. Should have a trade centred around Karlsson and Danault. They get to have a good two-way centre that is cheaper, Habs get the better player.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'd like to take advantage of Vegas cap situation. Go after Karlsson and/or Gusev.

Even if it's not Vegas, we have to be able to take advantage of someone's cap situation this year. Them, SJ, Toronto, Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville, etc. will all have cap troubles and we may be able to get a solid player for cheap.

Reactions: montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Even if it's not Vegas, we have to be able to take advantage of someone's cap situation this year. Them, SJ, Toronto, Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville, etc. will all have cap troubles and we may be able to get a solid player for cheap.

Might be our best option at using the cap space we have.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's not bad. I'd certainly consider it. I didn't know the Ducks were interested in acquiring defensemen though. Thought they were pretty deep at that position?

They are not deep on the RD side. There are some Ducks fans saying Petry would fit their needs on the main boards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who's spot they taken? Both are 4th liners,have MTL not enough choice as is?

My thoughts exactly. We already have too many top 9 players with Suzuki and Poehling knocking on the door. Jets can keep them. We need top 6 offensive players if we are bumping some our our current guys down.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Especially if the big UFAs re-sign. Getting a Karlsson or Panarin would be nice, but if they and others re-sign we'll have to explore trades to use our cap space.

The only issue I would have is we take on more top 9 depth vs top 6 depth. Habs needs are offensive top 6 talent cause we lack goal scoring in tight games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What would you dangle to get Karlsson? Pretty sure they ask for one of our grade A prospects. If you say no, they will keep him and make other moves to free up space.

Poehling for Karlsson straight up. Would you do it?

Another option is Drouin and a 2nd for Karlsson and a cap dump. They do have Glass coming soon who replaces Karlsson at center. Don't look like they need LW help though.

They have 17 players under contract that = about $74M (not including any LTIR contracts). If the cap is $83M, they have about $9M to sign 6 players including Karlsson. Add Drouin's salary and it's $3.5M to sign 6 players. If we take a cap dump to help them make a bit more space, who would that be?

No idea what Vegas is going to do with their cap situation.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
They are not deep on the RD side. There are some Ducks fans saying Petry would fit their needs on the main boards.
you know petry fits the needs of whom best??

The montreal canadians. So no you dont trade a player to create a need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you know petry fits the needs of whom best??

The montreal canadians. So no you dont trade a player to create a need.

True to some degree. I'm not desperate to trade Petry and if I do, I prefer to wait and see how good Brook and Juulsen are first. But if someone offers a solid return for Petry, we need to consider it IMO. We can't afford to bring back all of Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, and Danault after the 20/21 season. Especially if our youth keeps improving and needs raises in the next few years.

Reactions: tazsub3

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
What would you dangle to get Karlsson? Pretty sure they ask for one of our grade A prospects. If you say no, they will keep him and make other moves to free up space.

Poehling for Karlsson straight up. Would you do it?

Another option is Drouin and a 2nd for Karlsson and a cap dump. They do have Glass coming soon who replaces Karlsson at center. Don't look like they need LW help though.

They have 17 players under contract that = about $74M (not including any LTIR contracts). If the cap is $83M, they have about $9M to sign 6 players including Karlsson. Add Drouin's salary and it's $3.5M to sign 6 players. If we take a cap dump to help them make a bit more space, who would that be?

No idea what Vegas is going to do with their cap situation.
Well if you want to be in win now mode then you have to be willing to part with some of your best young prospects and draft picks.....especially if you cannot land big impact UFA's and Bergevin has landed ....ZERO in 7 years......you need to pick a direction and build around Price.....otherwise get rid of Price as he has said his window is closing....Problem is the GM does not believe in windows.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well if you want to be in win now mode then you have to be willing to part with some of your best young prospects and draft picks.....especially if you cannot land big impact UFA's and Bergevin has landed ....ZERO in 7 years......you need to pick a direction and build around Price.....otherwise get rid of Price as he has said his window is closing....Problem is the GM does not believe in windows.

We are not close enough to make all in moves to win now. So IMO, we need to ride this out and add pieces that fit our youth movement. Going after players with short term contracts left and paying a price to trade for them is stupid based on where we stand. I am willing to make youth for youth trades to try to trade from a position of strength to address an area of need. Not easy to do but you never know what circumstance comes our way.

Bergevin landed one of the best UFA's you can find. You forgot about Radulov. Problem is he was not willing to sign him for term and thought he would have loyalty of us giving him a chance to prove himself. Bergevin later got upset when Radulov asked for more money. Major mistake not willing to overpay by $1M annually to make him stay.

Price's window is not closing. That is fake news. Weber's window is closing though. 2-4 years left. Price will be very good for at least 5 more years. Elite level goalies don't disappear before the age or 35/36 and most play well in their late 30's. Unless you think he will have more injuries, our fan base needs to stop devaluing Price. He is 31, not 36

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

That would be great additions.
But i think Karlsson is a fixture on their top 6, him and Stastny are their guys for the next couple of years.
Doubt Gusev would be available since it's one of their good cheap player

With the late addition of Stone on their RW, i think the target should be Alex Tuch who has fall on the 3rd line because of Stone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
do not sign Gardner, he sucks bad......

Agreed. Our fan base needs to send a clear message to Bergevin if he is even considering signing Gardner.

Also, does anybody think that Gardner is going to want to sign with the Habs and play against the Leafs in the same division? Does he seem like the hot head type that wants to burn them? Doubt it and it's the opposite. He likes that team and would like to return but knows that they are up against the cap.

He's going to get offers but this is exactly like the Alzner situation. A good team letting someone go who they feel is not good enough to help them win. Stay away!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pacioretty has been a ghost before in a series. Can't base a player's worth on 1 series. But, a bad series can really drive a player's value down.

It's great to buy low - the problem is you have to know which players have low value now, but will go way up in the future. That's what happened when we signed Radulov, and traded for Domi and Tatar. I would have also liked to have gotten Skinner and Perron this past summer because they also seemed to be undervalued.

I would love for us to sign Skinner but this Ontario boy is not looking to join the Habs where he gets several offers from various teams. I'd be shocked if Skinner choose us.

Imagine a Skinner / Domi / Shaw line? Would they ever be hard to deal with. Would be nice but doubt it happens.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That makes a lot of sense for Anaheim, who are ready to compete for the cup with Getzlaf+Perry still in their prime.

I think youre aiming a little low though. Maybe ask for 9OA + Lindholm ?

9th OA and Lindholm is way too much to ask. They get insulted no doubt. I think the 9th OA and the 2nd (39th right?) fits. We have a very solid chance at getting two grade A assets here which further helps our youth core and the range in age they would be in.

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
We are not close enough to make all in moves to win now. So IMO, we need to ride this out and add pieces that fit our youth movement. Going after players with short term contracts left and paying a price to trade for them is stupid based on where we stand. I am willing to make youth for youth trades to try to trade from a position of strength to address an area of need. Not easy to do but you never know what circumstance comes our way.

Bergevin landed one of the best UFA's you can find. You forgot about Radulov. Problem is he was not willing to sign him for term and thought he would have loyalty of us giving him a chance to prove himself. Bergevin later got upset when Radulov asked for more money. Major mistake not willing to overpay by $1M annually to make him stay.

Price's window is not closing. That is fake news. Weber's window is closing though. 2-4 years left. Price will be very good for at least 5 more years. Elite level goalies don't disappear before the age or 35/36 and most play well in their late 30's. Unless you think he will have more injuries, our fan base needs to stop devaluing Price. He is 31, not 36
You have to eventually start building around Price....that is REAL NEWS......and Bergevin has not done so ...the buffoon has continued to waste years...with no direction....and those are...FACTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad