Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 51

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
With OEL, Weber, Price, a competent back-up, Petry on an extension and Chairot.

We would be paying half the salary cap ~39.5 on top 4 defense and goaltending.

I just don't see why the fact that the Habs are overpaying Price means that they shouldn't pay for an elite puck-moving dman and power play QB who can help the team for many years to come. He's exactly the piece that the Habs are missing.

As for the math:
10.5+8.5+7.8+5.5+3.5 = 36.8, not 40. So with the backup that means 40. Ok fine. That then leaves 42 million to pay for Alzner, the bottom pairing D, and the 13 forwards. Ok fine. Not ideal.

Well, there are ways around this. They can ask Arizona to retain salary, as Toronto retained on Kessel. They can trade Chiarot. And the expensive backup need only last one year or at most 2, as Primeau should be ready the year after that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just don't see why the fact that the Habs are overpaying Price means that they shouldn't pay for an elite puck-moving dman and power play QB who can help the team for many years to come. He's exactly the piece that the Habs are missing.

As for the math:
10.5+8.5+7.8+5.5+3.5 = 36.8, not 40. So with the backup that means 40. Ok fine. That then leaves 42 million to pay for Alzner, the bottom pairing D, and the 13 forwards. Ok fine. Not ideal.

Well, there are ways around this. They can ask Arizona to retain salary, as Toronto retained on Kessel. They can trade Chiarot. And the expensive backup need only last one year or at most 2, as Primeau should be ready the year after that.

I'm just saying it's a lot of money to tie up on your blueline.. I would only do it if OEL comes cheap and even then, I think you gotta send Chairot the other way to eat a little bit out of the cap hit.

OEL isn't as good as he used to be either, hasn't been strong defensively and his point totals aren't very high to compensate. It's a risky move, would only do it if we can mitigate the cap and the price doesn't include one of our top 7 prospects or our 1st.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As others mentioned, this isn't a rumour, it's a wish-list. And I agree with the writer -- OEL and Krug would be terrific adds for the Habs. But so what? Until Bergevin shows the ability to not just pursue top UFAs, but actually sign them, these articles may as well be titled, "Look Who You're Not Getting!".

Reactions: Archijerej

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm just saying it's a lot of money to tie up on your blueline.. I would only do it if OEL comes cheap and even then, I think you gotta send Chairot the other way to eat a little bit out of the cap hit.

OEL isn't as good as he used to be either, hasn't been strong defensively and his point totals aren't very high to compensate. It's a risky move, would only do it if we can mitigate the cap and the price doesn't include one of our top 7 prospects or our 1st.
Based on what I've read about Larsson (haven't actually seen him much), you're right that he's not worth his large cap hit. But if he's 100% healthy, I'd gamble on the possibility that he's been playing at 75% mental engagement. Arizona seems to suck the motivation out of players.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
keep dreaming,

it would take at LEAST one of Suzuki or KK ++, and MB won't do that
He won't and he shouldn't give up our two most talented kids. But if the Coyotes are willing to trade OEL, it means they're giving up on the present. Our 1st or good prospect (Fleury?) plus a talented vet (Drouin?) might tempt them. Similar to the Pacioretty trade.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
There are some complaints that he's mentally checked out in Arizona & not playing well.

He probably would do better in a hockey market. Some people need that pressure. It helps with motivation.
Talked to a few Yotes fans and they said that he started to check out right after he lost his mother apparently she watched from Sweden every game he played and also the coaching change didn't help either.

Coyotes' Ekman-Larsson opens up about the loss of his mom
Some sad stuff man.....

Last edited:

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

As for the math:

Or we send a few picks to the yotes or another team to take Alzners cap off our hands.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Talked to a few Yotes fans and they said that he started to check out right after he lost his mother apparently she watched from Sweden every game he played and also the coaching change didn't help either.

Coyotes' Ekman-Larsson opens up about the loss of his mom
Some sad stuff man.....
He hasn't been worth close to 8 mil for 4 years. It's time to give up on him ever being a significant offensive producer. No interest unless Coyotes eat 3 or 4 million a year. If you are going to pay 8 mil a year it should be to Krug.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
OEL is always an interesting name to toss around but, even in his stronger offensive seasons, he was a high Minus player at even strength. I'd be a bit wary about just how good his impact would be with the Habs.

The idea suggested that they would take Domi back is ridiculous, IMO. Drouin and Fleury for OEL? Really?

I agree with those that see ARI throwing in the towel on the present if they agree to part with OEL. Montreal could surely acquire him without parting with their current core. It would take the 16th OA this year, for sure, maybe Norlinder or Romanov and Caufield as futures, to round things out, with Romaniv being more appealing to ARI because he's much closer to being an NHLer.

Personally, I don't see OEL turning Montreal into an instant contender -- because we need scoring up front as well -- so, giving up Caufield would be a bad idea in a trade for a veteran D.

The only positive about OEL's c0ntract is that the term is eaten up after a season played at age 35. Odds of getting maximum value for him are much higher than a long term contract that would have taken him to year 40, like Weber, for example.

It really would depend, for me, whether Montreal can make other significant moves to improve their situation up front? Domi or Drouin for Samuel Poulin, plus a 2nd rounder might be an interesting gamble to improve our size up front without losing out too much on the talent situation. However, with such a move, I'd then want to hold on to Caufield because Poulin would help surround him properly on an offensive line of Poulin - Kotkaniemi - Caufield, for example.

IMO, there are better trade options that won't plunder all your best prospects and your 1st round pick and still upgrade the left side of D for Montreal. The GM will just need to be more creative than he would have been with a traditional hockey trade for EOL.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
OEL is always an interesting name to toss around but, even in his stronger offensive seasons, he was a high Minus player at even strength. I'd be a bit wary about just how good his impact would be with the Habs.

The idea suggested that they would take Domi back is ridiculous, IMO. Drouin and Fleury for OEL? Really?

I agree with those that see ARI throwing in the towel on the present if they agree to part with OEL. Montreal could surely acquire him without parting with their current core. It would take the 16th OA this year, for sure, maybe Norlinder or Romanov and Caufield as futures, to round things out, with Romaniv being more appealing to ARI because he's much closer to being an NHLer.

Personally, I don't see OEL turning Montreal into an instant contender -- because we need scoring up front as well -- so, giving up Caufield would be a bad idea in a trade for a veteran D.

The only positive about OEL's c0ntract is that the term is eaten up after a season played at age 35. Odds of getting maximum value for him are much higher than a long term contract that would have taken him to year 40, like Weber, for example.

It really would depend, for me, whether Montreal can make other significant moves to improve their situation up front? Domi or Drouin for Samuel Poulin, plus a 2nd rounder might be an interesting gamble to improve our size up front without losing out too much on the talent situation. However, with such a move, I'd then want to hold on to Caufield because Poulin would help surround him properly on an offensive line of Poulin - Kotkaniemi - Caufield, for example.

IMO, there are better trade options that won't plunder all your best prospects and your 1st round pick and still upgrade the left side of D for Montreal. The GM will just need to be more creative than he would have been with a traditional hockey trade for EOL.

Good post but i think you overvalue OEL return with the Arizona situation and the fact most teams simply can't afford his salary with the tight cap. They badly need picks and moving OEL would confirm a full rebuild mode. I have no problem giving away our first-second and a top prospect like Caufield ( or any prospect not named Romanov/Norlinder/KK/Suzuki) for a proven number one Dman. Give some salary back like Byron and it's a no brainer. Unproven quantity for proven quality which fit our team needs and gives us the best top 4 in the league imo. Keeps the window open and fits Bergy mentality to compete now.

We have so many trading pieces in a favorable market, we need to take advantage...

My perfect summer?

OEL for first-second-third-Caufield-Byron
Mantha for Domi-Mete-third
Anderson for Lecky+second
Pipedream.... Something around Gaudreau for Gallagher++
Sign Crawford for one year

Drouin-Suzuki-Armia/Anderson
Gaudreau-KK-Mantha
Tatar-Danault-Anderson/Armia
scrub-Evans-scrub

OEL-Weber
Chariot/Romanov-Petry
Chariot/Romanov-Fleury/Juulsen
Kulak

This would be the most talented/violent D corps I've ever seen in Montreal.

There is scoring speed and size on all 3 lines.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Good post but i think you overvalue OEL return with the Arizona situation and the fact most teams simply can't afford his salary with the tight cap. They badly need picks and moving OEL would confirm a full rebuild mode. I have no problem giving away our first-second and a top prospect like Caufield ( or any prospect not named Romanov/Norlinder/KK/Suzuki) for a proven number one Dman. Give some salary back like Byron and it's a no brainer. Unproven quantity for proven quality which fit our team needs and gives us the best top 4 in the league imo. Keeps the window open and fits Bergy mentality to compete now.

We have so many trading pieces in a favorable market, we need to take advantage...

My perfect summer?

OEL for first-second-third-Caufield-Byron
Mantha for Domi-Mete-third
Anderson for Lecky+second
Pipedream.... Something around Gaudreau for Gallagher++
Sign Crawford for one year

Drouin-Suzuki-Armia/Anderson
Gaudreau-KK-Mantha
Tatar-Danault-Anderson/Armia
scrub-Evans-scrub

OEL-Weber
Chariot/Romanov-Petry
Chariot/Romanov-Fleury/Juulsen
Kulak

This would be the most talented/violent D corps I've ever seen in Montreal.

There is scoring speed and size on all 3 lines.

Your perfect summer is my worst Nightmare

I thank the god your name isn't Marc Bergevin.

Reactions: HabsMD97

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

As for the math:

I'd really like to hang on to Chiarot, I want a big 4 on defense. Weber, Chiarot, petry and un-named, could be Romanov though? If we bring a puck moving D in I'm happy to have it be a big 5. We could have one of the best D corps in the league depending how Romanov plays out.

Reactions: jaffy27

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just checking in to see if Domi has been traded yet for a couple cases of Creatine and a couple cases of protein bars by Le Bicep Club de hockey Canadien. :DD

Reactions: Runner77

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He won't and he shouldn't give up our two most talented kids. But if the Coyotes are willing to trade OEL, it means they're giving up on the present. Our 1st or good prospect (Fleury?) plus a talented vet (Drouin?) might tempt them. Similar to the Pacioretty trade.
I don't think Fleury is the equivalent of Suzuki back then. It would have to be Caufield.

Still a problematic move for reasons listed in this thread. We'd likely have to let Petry go and in order to stagger Weber's and Larsson's icetime, we'd have to find a partner for the latter. See how it worked with Weber.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who has more value?

Caufield or Norlinder?

I take it you mean to a potential suitor and not from the Habs' perspective -- I mean, it is a trade thread after all.

I'd say Norlinder. If the draft were held right now, who would get taken earlier?

Norlinder plays the more in-demand position and is also a PMD. Caufield's dwarfism sadly would still not endear him to a large number of clubs, several of whom passed on him on draft day.

Obligatory LWOS plug: Habs could trade Caufield or Norlinder. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwikwi

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Have we had 5 offseasons of disaster? In the last 2-3 years we've had strong drafts, made good changes to the coaching staffs on both NHL and AHL teams, and there have been some solid trades.
Yes, 5 years of disaster...........the results have been awful. Some of this belongs in his first 3 years, but MB's off seasons have been very much underwhelming.
Yes we have had a few wins, but Suzuki and KK are just getting going, we can only hope this continues.
Look at the Oilers though, they have McJesus and Drai and still nothing..............clinging all of our hopes on these two kids, is not fair. MB just has no clue.

Reactions: Pickles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad