Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
What do you mean "taking" Allen's contract ? Good, almost underpaid GK and year left on contract. In reality Dunn and Allen would cost ridiculously more.

I think you missed a good part of Jake Allen recent career.

The fact that he played in the playoffs just show how bad Binnington was.

Allen is St-Louis main cap dump in their attempt to retain Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Archijerej

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
MB also said in his year end presser that the Habs don't have as much cap space as people seem to think since he's looking forward 2 or 3 years from now. Trading for OEL and his 8.25m x 7 could have a major effect on what happens with his UFA's after next season and the upcoming deals for Suzuki and KK.

I just don't see MB taking on that long term 8.25m OEL cap hit after hearing him say that plus the cost it would likely take to acquire him. Also I think if MB do add a big salary it will be for a scoring winger instead of a dman.
No question, an $8.25M contract would be a risk and jeopardize future contracts. But by the time those future contracts are due, Weber is likely passed his prime and Petry and Price will be 35/36. So if Bergevin really is prioritizing 2/3 years from now, then why isn't he trading one or two of those aging vets before their value declines? Holding onto all of them means he wants to compete now. Okay, then he needs to add higher end players like OEL and stop talking about the future.

You have to sacrifice either the present or the future to allow the other to thrive.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You're probably correct and that's why I said it's highly unlikely the Blues would include him in any cap clearing deal but I'd certainly be trying. Especially if AP isn't re-signed the closer it gets to when UFA's can sign and the Blues getting wind of a team making a huge offer to AP.

I'm just no sold on moving the futures that Arizona would likely need to move OEL and adding his long term contract and I haven't seen an argument for doing so in this thread that even remotely comes close to changing my mind on it.

Not often I agree with MB but him saying the Habs don't have as much cap as people think and that he's looking 2-3 years ahead and not only for next season when it comes to cap space I'll be very surprised if he traded what was needed for OEL while also taking on that huge contract but we'll see.
OEL’s play has already slipped, I don’t know how much of that is because he’s in Arizona, but I’m not willing to find out. I’d pass here I think. I don’t see any combination of assets/risk aversion that makes a deal here make sense. I used to like OEL, always thought he was over hyped and weak defensively, but his game has slipped, I’m not a gambling man, so I wouldn’t bet on him recovering here. I need more of a sure thing if I’m moving the assets it would likely take to get OEL.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No question, an $8.25M contract would be a risk and jeopardize future contracts. But by the time those future contracts are due, Weber is likely passed his prime and Petry and Price will be 35/36. So if Bergevin really is prioritizing 2/3 years from now, then why isn't he trading one or two of those aging vets before their value declines? Holding onto all of them means he wants to compete now. Okay, then he needs to add higher end players like OEL and stop talking about the future.

You have to sacrifice either the present or the future to allow the other to thrive.
MB likes to stay in the middle...no expectations, no results...he has not really made a full commitment to anything, other than to himself and his buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad