Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread IX: Trade Deadline Edition

Would you do it: Romanov, Poehling, and a 1st for Stone, Panarin, or Duchene with an extension?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2010
I agree with this.

It will be interesting to see how he does come playoff time.

Im skeptical that he'll be as productive in multiple 7-game series where the opposite coach/team is focused on shutting/wearing him down.

I hope he proves the contrary, but I just don't see his style of play & stature being a good recipe at C come po's...

Yeah the move still seems desperate to me. But for now, he can be our number 1 center til someone can take over that spot.

As for the playoffs, this is also why I want MB to form a reliable 4th line. Just so we get scoring from our bottom 6 and not have to rely too much on Domi/Drouin/Gally. I feel that It's really our only hope to have any kind of success in the playoffs if we can really roll all 4 lines.

Hopefully, Weise can find that playoff magic back. Also hoping for a Byron - ??? - Weise for a 4th line. Wish Brian Boyle wasn't that expensive.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I think Lehkonen (as much as I like him) is the most expendable one and most likely to get traded to make room for Byron on the 3rd line. We can get picks for Lehkonen and I also think Byron is a better fit on the 3rd since he can finish Kotka's play more often than Lehkonen does. I'd like to see this lineup with our 4th line getting a major facelift.

Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Domi - Shaw
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
XXX - XXX - Weise
So you're willing to trade a 23 years old NHL player for magic beans? Also one that has chemistry with our best hope for a #1 center. Byron doesn't mesh well with Kotkaniemi, they play a different game.

25th

Jul 11, 2009
Aylmer beach, Qc
How about...

Suzuki, Primeau and 2019 2nd For Stone or Panarin (signed at $$$)

and

Romanov, 2019 1st, Hudon for Lindhom
or
Brook, 2020 2nd and Ylonen for Fowler

or something around that?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So you're willing to trade a 23 years old NHL player for magic beans? Also one that has chemistry with our best hope for a #1 center. Byron doesn't mesh well with Kotkaniemi, they play a different game.

Magic beans? Lehkonen will fetch quite a bit imo

What kind of on-ice chemistry would you say Lehkonen and Kotkaniemi have?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Panarin won't play in Canada anyway.

And I don't think Duchesne or Stone are interested to play in Montreal anyway.

So don't lose sleep over it.

Maybe things have changed, but Panarin was set to sign with Montreal before he chose to sign with Chicago.

His team in the KHL was in the Gagarin Cup Finals and were down 3-0 in the series. If they had lost, he was ready to put pen to paper with Montreal. But his team ended up mounting a comeback and winning the series in Game 7. By then, more teams got into the mix and he chose to sign in Chicago. He had stated their style of play was a better fit for him than Therrien's Habs.

I think right now, his style of play would fit in with Habs. And he was willing to come play in Canada if it weren't for his team coming back to win that series. But like I said, maybe things have changed.

Reactions: CapSpace

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I really think it's pointless to come up with trade scenarios for a "signed" Panarin, Duchene, Stone, etc. The odds of these players agreeing to a contract before the trade deadline are slim to none.

If you want to trade for them, you have to accept that you're getting a pending UFA in the hope you can re-sign them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I really think it's pointless to come up with trade scenarios for a "signed" Panarin, Duchene, Stone, etc. The odds of these players agreeing to a contract before the trade deadline are slim to none.

If you want to trade for them, you have to accept that you're getting a pending UFA in the hope you can re-sign them.

I agree. Better take a run at them at free agency than to trade for them. And like you say, they won't sign. They'll see how things go with their new team before they opt to sign an extension with them.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
If (hypothetically) these guys are willing to sign a deal we can sign them in the offseason. Not worth giving up 3 assets to get any of them. I would throw paper all Stone or Panarin though for sure.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Is Mark Stone actually the elite talent that HFBoards makes him out to be?

Stone has never scored 30 goals in a season.
Stone has never produced 70 points in a season.

He's a first-line winger for sure, but not an elite one. He doesn't belong in the same conversation as Duchene and Panarin. His play does not warrant an 8-year contract paying 7+ million/year.
I agree....I dont know why...and I'm sure I will be reminded that my opinion is wrong but Stone feels like a slightly better version of what Ryder used to be with a better all around game. I'm not feeling the crazy hype this guy is getting. Just my opinion.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I agree....I dont know why...and I'm sure I will be reminded that my opinion is wrong but Stone feels like a slightly better version of what Ryder used to be with a better all around game. I'm not feeling the crazy hype this guy is getting. Just my opinion.

It really is about the all around game. Stone is seen as an excellent defensive player and elite level pick pocket. He's also viewed as a leader. I think he'd look great with Kotkaniemi.

That said, I think of the 3 Panarin is the guy you go for. He's an elite level playmaker and can snipe. Habs really need a RH goal scoring option and I think he'd really bring it.

Not sure what I'd give him but he fits the window pretty well so I wouldn't be afraid to put in a competetive offer. We don't really have a guy like him anywhere in the system.

I think it's possible we get him, based on Montreal as a city, the team being up and coming, and the cap space to pay him. Most of the cities mentioned are about lifestyle - Florida, NY - and I think some European players see Montreal as a very familiar city given its European style. He'd fit nicely with Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Suzuki, Poeling.

Reactions: le_sean

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Is this poll a joke? We are much better this year than any of us expected, but there's no way in hell we should be moving either of those stud prospects, nor our 1st...horrible

Reactions: Justin11

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
There is no chance any of Stone, Panarin or Duchene sign after being traded at the deadline. If you've waited this long to go to free agency, you aren't going to lock into a new team months before you get there. Its profoundly stupid. Might as well do a poll on the hypothetical cost of Eichel.

And Montreal needs to keep its powder dry (cap space, trade assets) for big game hunting. They have depth, they need elite player(s). That's very obvious when you watch them play the best teams in the NHL.

Go after Stone and Panarin in the offseason. Offersheet Aho or Point. Don't load up on middle of the line-up types, Montreal is stocked there and will need the space on the roster soon anyways for their prospects.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
There is no chance any of Stone, Panarin or Duchene sign after being traded at the deadline. If you've waited this long to go to free agency, you aren't going to lock into a new team months before you get there. Its profoundly stupid. Might as well do a poll on the hypothetical cost of Eichel.

And Montreal needs to keep its powder dry (cap space, trade assets) for big game hunting. They have depth, they need elite player(s). That's very obvious when you watch them play the best teams in the NHL.

Go after Stone and Panarin in the offseason. Offersheet Aho or Point. Don't load up on middle of the line-up types, Montreal is stocked there and will need the space on the roster soon anyways for their prospects.
Habs not at a point to be offer sheeting top dollar players and lose valuable first round pickS. I think Kapanen or Johnsson could be prime offer sheet candidates. Leafs can’t afford them in the 3-3.5 AAV range and it would only cost a 2nd rd pick.

Reactions: c_robio

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I'd be open to moving poehling in the right deal. I have concerns he will wait it out and sign in Minnesota. They need a center and he is from there

No interest in trading Romanov though

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I certainly like the group of prospects that the team has assembled but there's not one that is untradeable.

Poehling : very good prospect but not elite. If Minnesota wants him for Charlie Coyle, I'd trade him.
Suzuki : see above
Romanov : simply because he's a Russian and the KHL factor... I'd be open to trade him for the right value in a hockey trade
Primeau : great great NCAA goalie but that's a long ways away from being an NHL goalie.
Brook : great WHL defenseman. Because he's a RH D, I'd be apprehensive but we'll know more after his AHL season. But if Edmonton wants him as part of a deal for Klefbom or Nurse, bye bye Brook.

Those are our five best prospects. All the others are obviously tradeable too.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I think Lehkonen (as much as I like him) is the most expendable one and most likely to get traded to make room for Byron on the 3rd line.

Kinda inevitable some decent players are going to end up having to play on lower lines. You can trade Lehkonen to make room for Byron. But with prospects coming up, some of these 3rd liners will find their way down to the 4th sooner than later anyways.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Habs not at a point to be offer sheeting top dollar players and lose valuable first round pickS. I think Kapanen or Johnsson could be prime offer sheet candidates. Leafs can’t afford them in the 3-3.5 AAV range and it would only cost a 2nd rd pick.

Montreal doesn't need a Kapanen or a Johnsson that badly though. They have depth.

And honestly, if you're serious about actually contending, then you either add a star or two while Weber and Price are still playing at a high level and you're getting cheap contributions from other guys, or you start a true rebuild and moving guys out.

You can also try to structure deals to minimize draft pick loss. 10 mil for 5 or less years only costs two firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd. For a top 15-30 player in the NHL, that's incredibly cheap. Give them 4 years to take them straight to free agency. Give them a cheaper deal that would be very pricey to qualify. Be creative. But unless you expect Montreal to be brutal the next couple of years (and you need bad luck plus Montreal's young prospects being letdowns for that to happen), those 1sts aren't going to be that valuable anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad