Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What "right" thing is he doing? Selfishly and stupidly taking bad shots from atrocious angles instead of using his teammates? Not busting his ass every shift which is what's made him successful? Rarely crashing the net? Below average defensive game? I've been worried about him for a while and not solely because of his playoff performance. Got a feeling we will strongly regret the 7 millionish per year he will ask for.

Leading the NHL ixGF at 5v5. Effective 2 way game. Busting his ass off. Driving the net.

Just because he's not playing at his peak or not doing things as consistently does not mean he isn't playing his game or playing with effort. But this fanbase tends to draw conclusions based on results and move from there (see: Drouin at the beginning of the season for the opposite).

I'm not arguing that he's playing as well as he has in the past. Nor am I arguing that you sign him no matter what.

But the fact is that no player will be good enough for this fanbase. When Kotkaniemi goes cold and isn't arguably the best forward in the bubble, the Bustaniemi calls will return. When Suzuki has a cold stretch or gets too cerebral and not engaged enough, people will start calling him something like Snoozuki. And lord help Romanov if he takes time to get acclimatized to the NHL. or Caufield. And many of those same fans will adopt the grass is greener mindset and want the team to sign the Duchenes of the league. Because this fanbase (more than even Leafs fans) can get so insular that they fail to look at the league as a whole.

Just because they aren't superstars, does not mean they aren't good players.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I’d focus on what is going to happen with the positions Price and Weber hold when they age out...

boss10

Jun 19, 2010
We are one of a few teams that can afford him with our cap space as it stands. We could clear more cap space buying out Alzner, or getting rid of Byron, Weal, Armia.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Call it selective memory but I remember that Rangers playoff series where Pacioretty wasn't good at all while Radulov was beasting and the optics where very bad there and during most of that season. Isn't then where he got the Patio-Ready moniker lol. And yes Gallager works hard and put pucks on the net, but the eye test tells me when he has the puck on his stick the play dies most often then not. I love Gallagher but I think his play style is more suited for 3rd line grinding where he could really contribute against lesser defenders.

I disagree that pressure is the same for all players in MTL tho. The pressure that Lafreniere would feel would be huge not just because he's from Quebec, but because he would be seen as the savior of this historic franchise AND is from Quebec. That's like double the pressure. I'm not saying he couldn't handle it but it would be there and would be massive.

Patio-ready has been around for years before the Rangers series.

And the benefit of Gallagher isn't that he's such a great handler of pucks, its that he's one of the best in the NHL in terms of getting to the net and going up against the other teams' best lines and outchancing and outscoring them.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Watching the playoffs it appears our biggest need is wingers who can score. We won't be able to get a first line winger through draft. Time to act now and throw the money at Hall. He is only 28...can score and has speed. He is the only free agent I would spend money on this year. Might have to overpay but around 8-9 mil a year might get it done.

Would rather obtain Evander Kane in some sort of a deal than overpay for a UFA.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
First of all, most NHL players play hurt. And Gallagher is very obviously playing hurt right now, you just need to watch him.

For another, his individual impacts are still elite. Just because he's not producing, doesn't mean he isn't doing the right things. He's making some mistakes, but he's still worth playing the minutes he has.
Obviously , from what point of view?
That's what i don't get. What base are you using that Gallagher is playing injured

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Patio-ready has been around for years before the Rangers series.

And the benefit of Gallagher isn't that he's such a great handler of pucks, its that he's one of the best in the NHL in terms of getting to the net and going up against the other teams' best lines and outchancing and outscoring them.
Isn't that how a checking 3rd line should be used though?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Kulak is fighting consistency. He's got the tools but does he have the IQ? Has not played a full NHL season yet and has shown flashes of brilliance and flashes of dud at times. You are way to critical IMO.

We can use a good offensive D man on the left side yes. His name is Norlinder so you will have to wait. Good luck finding that guy you want in trades or UFA signing. And no... I want nothing to do with Krug. Be honest... were you one of the ones who wanted us to sign Gardiner? I don't know... I'm just asking cause there were some Habs fans drooling over him as our solution.
Kulak is 26 and ''has not played a full season'' yet. Pretty good resume of what Kulak is.

And hell no i was more than against signing Jake Gardiner for god sakes.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Patrik Laine has shown this year he is a much more versatile player than some people still allude to here.
His playmaking ability and selflessness was praised in WPG this winter (more A's than G's) and he seems to have bought into putting at least a minimal effort on D.
I'm guessing these are some of the things he needed to prove he was capable of doing, to earn his next big contract.

If he's available for Domi/Danault + 16th +, you absolutely have to jump on it.
It's easier to live with our American hobbit if the other top-6 RW is a 6'5" monster with a neckbeard...

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Yeah, the habs need to add an impact forward while Weber and Price are still able to play as they have in these playoffs, Hall fits their system extremely well. He's fast and one of the best transition forwards in the league still and there just aren't many teams with the cap space to sign him. But he probably doesn't wanna play here.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I love Hall, he’s a great player but you’re essentially going to pay a premium for someone that plays 65 games a year. It’s a tough pill to swallow.

Reactions: 26Mats

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Isn't that how a checking 3rd line should be used though?

Ideally, if there wasn't a cap and Montreal had a roster that was deeper than even Tampa's, then sure. In reality, most teams can't afford to have a checking line with players as good as/effective as Danault and Gallagher on it. Its an incredible luxury. And while I hold this team to cup contending standards, I think expecting Montreal's most effective line over the past couple of seasons (Tatar-Danault-Gallagher) and one of the most effective lines in the NHL over the past couple of seasons to essentially be a 3rd line is an unrealistic standard and that line of thinking poisons anything the franchise will ever do.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
So you are assuming. We could say that for everyone. He might have a bruise or something , but that doesn't mean he's injured at all.

Yes it does. A bruise is an injury. My point is, it looks like Gallagher is playing through something. That isn't the case with, say, Drouin.

FLHabs

Feb 18, 2017
Patrik Laine has shown this year he is a much more versatile player than some people still allude to here.
His playmaking ability and selflessness was praised in WPG this winter (more A's than G's) and he seems to have bought into putting at least a minimal effort on D.
I'm guessing these are some of the things he needed to prove he was capable of doing, to earn his next big contract.

If he's available for Domi/Danault + 16th +, you absolutely have to jump on it.
It's easier to live with our American hobbit if the other top-6 RW is a 6'5" monster with a neckbeard...
As much as Laine would be an awesome add, would he fit the teams speed game though? Also, I feel like he's gonna ask biiig money, but on a good contract I'd take him in a heartbeat

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Could talk about it day and night....it's not our decision.
If he wants to come in, I'm sure Bergevin would work something out but it's up to him and it has to make senses.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He is clearly a vital target...

With our roster set up, adding an elite winger with some grit in his game is too perfect a fit not to go very aggressively after him.

It's a situation where "overpaying" to land him makes sense.
We've got the right cap, prospect & pic situation to make that gamble worthwhile.

Price & Weber need to be supported with "right now" elite talent up front.

Suzuki, JKO, Danault give us a great cost friendly C depth to make it easy to spend heavily to shore up W talent & depth.

Fleury, Juulsen & Romanov make Kulak expendable.
Weise is coming off the books.

If MB can find a taker for Drouin without taking cap back, and re-signs Domi on a "show me" last RFA deal, we could likely extend Tatar too.

Hall, Tatar, Domi, Gallagher, Armia, Lekhonen, Byron... That's a very solid W group with skill, depth, grit & versatility.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He is clearly a vital target...

With our roster set up, adding an elite winger with some grit in his game is too perfect a fit not to go very aggressively after him.

It's a situation where "overpaying" to land him makes sense.
We've got the right cap, prospect & pic situation to make that gamble worthwhile.

Price & Weber need to be supported with "right now" elite talent up front.

Suzuki, JKO, Danault give us a great cost friendly C depth to make it easy to spend heavily to shore up W talent & depth.

Fleury, Juulsen & Romanov make Kulak expendable.
Weise is coming off the books.

If MB can find a taker for Drouin without taking cap back, and re-signs Domi on a "show me" last RFA deal, we could likely extend Tatar too.

Hall, Tatar, Domi, Gallagher, Armia, Lekhonen, Byron... That's a very solid W group with skill, depth, grit & versatility.

Why would Kulak be expendable? He’s only making $1.85m a year. You keep a guy like that.

FLHabs

Feb 18, 2017
Ideally, if there wasn't a cap and Montreal had a roster that was deeper than even Tampa's, then sure. In reality, most teams can't afford to have a checking line with players as good as/effective as Danault and Gallagher on it. Its an incredible luxury. And while I hold this team to cup contending standards, I think expecting Montreal's most effective line over the past couple of seasons (Tatar-Danault-Gallagher) and one of the most effective lines in the NHL over the past couple of seasons to essentially be a 3rd line is an unrealistic standard and that line of thinking poisons anything the franchise will ever do.
I think that for Gallagher to be effective on a first line he needs to play with real talented player like a Hall for example. But even then he'd be more suited for a second line and 3rd line would be the ideal spot. But you're right, having Danault and Gallagher on a 3rd would be a luxury

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I think that for Gallagher to be effective on a first line he needs to play with real talented player like a Hall for example. But even then he'd be more suited for a second line and 3rd line would be the ideal spot. But you're right, having Danault and Gallagher on a 3rd would be a luxury

He's been effective on the 1st line for 5 of the past 6 seasons. His ES numbers a great. He isn't a good PP guy, which is were playing with an elite player might boosted his production. But he's been a 1st line caliber player for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad