Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
TB will need to find a way somehow and have to look at the big money players that are the most expendable. Similar to TO being in a cap crunch going forward and with NTC etc being tossed around like candy,it handcuffs an organization from making the moves that are actually desirable.

Tampa is in big trouble if those guys don't want to waive their NTC.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But Domi likely has better trade value than Drouin
So we fall into MB's logic. Win a trade but not improve the team. Domi brings more to the team than Drouin. Unload Drouin for what we can get and play Domi as a winger on the top two lines. He is also an excellent fill-in for when Zuk/KK/Danault are injured and they will be injured. We don't want to win a trade. We want to improve the team.

But if I were honest with myself I'd say that would never happen. Drouin is a local player who is fluently bilingual. I'm positive when MB got him it was more for PR than hockey reasons.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm not sure about that considering we have Caulfield, Ylonen, that russian kid I can't spell his name and not to mention that Poehling might end up there too.

We already have 7 wingers for our top 9.
Is Kovalchuk coming back next year too?

I agree that we need Wingers, but that's the easiest spot to fill.....and I still believe that our wingers might score more goals if the PP would be working and it's not a winger that will help unless he can QB the whole thing.

Was on a different train of thought. If you can score more 5 on 5 it makes it less urgent to score on the PP which is not guaranteed anyways.

On D next season Habs already have: Weber,Petry,Chiarot, slotted in with Fleury,Mete,Kulak,Juulsen and Romonov whom might be the one on the PP. Habs still might deploy a forward as well manning the point,Suzuki should be able to handle that or even KK but prefer someone with better wheels than them.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I wouldn't be comfortable with this group. Here are my reasons:

I'm fine with Chiarot-Weber. Chiarot's not this coveted #1 LD, so it doesn't look sexy, but it's been surprisingly effective. But we're over taxing them. It's not good for Chiarot and it's not going to be good for Weber. We need a #1B pairing built around Petry.

I don't think neither Kulak or Mete is reliable enough to achieve this. Kulak's a fine complementary player in spurts, when Petry's at the top of his game. When the latter falters (and it happens regularly for stretches throughout the season), Kulak's game nosedives.

Kulak could be useful on the third pair, provided he doesn't have to carry Fleury. It didn't work last season. Juulsen would be a good option, but he may never play again at the NHL level. Signing a dependable #6RD is necessary imo.

I refuse to hang my hopes for the next season on Romanov. If he makes it and is useful, great. If not, we have to be prepared. Depth is our only option if we want to be competitive.

I wouldn't move Domi for a defenceman at all costs, but it may prove inevitable. Nobody will trade us a top 4 defenceman for Drouin. If Bergevin can pry away Dunn, using a combination of picks and cap relief, that would be ideal.

I'd be comfortable starting next season with that defence corps simply because priority #1 is to get a reliable, competent backup who can have an excellent ~30 game season. Priority #2 is to get a scoring winger preferably a power winger. Priority #3 is to re-build that fourth line. You're asking too much from MB to also improve his defence as a fourth priority. I'd be ecstatic if he gets a decent backup.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's hard to trade for a top offensive player. I have offered big packages to 3 different teams on trade board been turned down every time.

Probably why we were able to get so much for Pacioretty.

We got lucky with Patch by staying potential and waiting for the right deal. That deal came right before the season started. We had no idea how Tatar would rebound and Suzuki was not a gem like he is today. He broke out in his age 19 season in that playoff run. Then he added some muscle in the off season to be ready as a Pro. Then we appeared to hit with Norlinder on a pick. We will see.

Panthers at the 18 deadline refused to gives us their 1st and Borgstrom. Thank god!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Him or Kutcherov make big bucks on forward and Stamkos has been missing a lot of hockey.TB overpaid for some players in too many slots and are facing some fancy maneuvering to extrapolate themselves.

This is their "make a run year" before they have to pull a Blackhawks and shed some very important players. Given our trading history, BriseBois, cap flexibility and stocked pantry of prospects and picks, we'd make excellent partners. Whether it be Sergachev, Killorn, or bigger moves like Stamkos or McDonaugh, we're excellent trading partners with them and I think they at least have some discussions when the season is over.

Reactions: angusyoung

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We got lucky with Patch by staying potential and waiting for the right deal. That deal came right before the season started. We had no idea how Tatar would rebound and Suzuki was not a gem like he is today. He broke out in his age 19 season in that playoff run. Then he added some muscle in the off season to be ready as a Pro. Then we appeared to hit with Norlinder on a pick. We will see.

Panthers at the 18 deadline refused to gives us their 1st and Borgstrom. Thank god!

Don't forget that Pacioretty declined a trade to LA. I wonder what that deal was? Would it have been better than the Vegas deal?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So we fall into MB's logic. Win a trade but not improve the team. Domi brings more to the team than Drouin. Unload Drouin for what we can get and play Domi as a winger on the top two lines. He is also an excellent fill-in for when Zuk/KK/Danault are injured and they will be injured. We don't want to win a trade. We want to improve the team.

But if I were honest with myself I'd say that would never happen. Drouin is a local player who is fluently bilingual. I'm positive when MB got him it was more for PR than hockey reasons.

Really strong points.

I think that MB should trade one of the four of Domi, Drouin, Tatar, or Gallagher, bring in those assets, and try and sign it bring in a winger with physicality and/or skill. Bergevin has a lot of good options, and he'll have to weigh a lot of pros and cons as he will have to think about what those guys might make in a couple years and their relative trade values. A second or perhaps third of those four might be tradeable if one or both of Caulfield and Ylonen develop nicely.

I will be surprised if Drouin is moved, for the sane reasons you write.

Reactions: habsfan891

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Tampa is in big trouble if those guys don't want to waive their NTC.

There are always exceptions - but most players generally agree to waive. They are professionals, paid millions of dollars - and generally don't sulk. If they're treated with respect, and if team tries to accommodate them, often those things work out.

I don't think Tampa looks to trade Stamkos though. McD not sure, but i'd guess no either

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There are always exceptions - but most players generally agree to waive. They are professionals, paid millions of dollars - and generally don't sulk. If they're treated with respect, and if team tries to accommodate them, often those things work out.

I don't think Tampa looks to trade Stamkos though. McD not sure, but i'd guess no either
Refusing trades happens a lot more often than I think most realize. Happens all the time when players pick and chose whom they wish to play for and GMs try to accommodate. In the case of a NMC, player may say I’ll only accept a trade to team X and Y, who are most likely also contenders in a great market and family friendly destination and it never goes further as team X and Y don’t have the cap, or assets to make a deal and we never hear about it in the media.

The NMC is to give the player the option should they choose. Seeing as Tampa is an amazing team in a great location, tax free, great weather, why would any player and their family choose to leave it? I wouldn’t.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I'd be comfortable starting next season with that defence corps simply because priority #1 is to get a reliable, competent backup who can have an excellent ~30 game season.

Oh, I agree. But it's not mutually exclusive with strengthening the defense. I don't expect the backup goalie to cost us much, if any, trading capital.

Priority #2 is to get a scoring winger preferably a power winger.

Disagree. It would be great if we could add one, but there's a limit to what we can achieve with our trade assets and I would address other areas first. Would Alex Killorn fit your definition of a power winger? Tampa needs to clear salary. There are also options via UFA market, but not power forwards.

Priority #3 is to re-build that fourth line.

It will be done. One of Armia, Lehkonen or Byron will slide down if we keep Domi or aquire a top 9 forward and I fully expect Bergevin to sign a #4C and some depth forwards.

You're asking too much from MB to also improve his defence as a fourth priority. I'd be ecstatic if he gets a decent backup.

Not really. The other things are pretty straightforward. The only question is if you absolutely need to use a trade asset should it be for a defenceman or forward? I think the former.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Really strong points.

I think that MB should trade one of the four of Domi, Drouin, Tatar, or Gallagher, bring in those assets, and try and sign it bring in a winger with physicality and/or skill. Bergevin has a lot of good options, and he'll have to weigh a lot of pros and cons as he will have to think about what those guys might make in a couple years and their relative trade values. A second or perhaps third of those four might be tradeable if one or both of Caulfield and Ylonen develop nicely.

I will be surprised if Drouin is moved, for the sane reasons you write.

I think to make the salary cap after next season there is a good chance he’ll have to trade one of them. If they bring in a free agent like Hall, Hoffman, Dadonov they may have to trade two of them to make it work.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Don't forget that Pacioretty declined a trade to LA. I wonder what that deal was? Would it have been better than the Vegas deal?

The base was Toffoli and Martinec, i think, really not sure.

also the gazette wrote this
The trade evaporated after Pacioretty said he wasn’t willing to sign an extension. There was a time element involved because Los Angeles’ first-round pick (20th overall) was part of the return to Montreal.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The base was Toffoli and Martinec, i think, really not sure.

also the gazette wrote this
The trade evaporated after Pacioretty said he wasn’t willing to sign an extension. There was a time element involved because Los Angeles’ first-round pick (20th overall) was part of the return to Montreal.

This is a good example of Pacioretty helping the Habs during the post-season.

Reactions: habsfan891

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
- Tarasenko (if he is willing to waive his NTC)
- Allen
- Dunn
for
- Gallagher (extension in place)
- 16th OA pick
- Mete
I did not even notice Tarasenko last night. Is he even playing? I think St. Louis would be all over this with their cap problems. Not sure if Mtl does it though. I will have to watch the next St. Louis game to get a better read on Tarasenko.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I did not even notice Tarasenko last night. Is he even playing? I think St. Louis would be all over this with their cap problems. Not sure if Mtl does it though. I will have to watch the next St. Louis game to get a better read on Tarasenko.

I'm fine with Tarasenko and don't need a better read.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It's hard to trade for a top offensive player. I have offered big packages to 3 different teams on trade board been turned down every time.

Probably why we were able to get so much for Pacioretty.

What were the trade offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad