Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't want Malkin, but Crosby sure. I think Crosby has a good 7-8 years ahead of him, at least, but he should become a winger and we should see him as such. In other words, we shouldn't accept any trade on the presupposition that he's a center, because he's no longer an effective one on the first line. Faceoffs were always not one of his strengths, and he would be much more useful in a purely offensive role on the RW. Ie. Think about a trade around Tatar - Caufield+1st 2020+2nd 2020+2nd 2021 + 2 Ds of Juulsen, Brooks, Mete, Kulak

Probably doesn't happen in the next year ish but will be interesting to see what direction the Pens go. It's been a trend downwards over the last few years. I'd love to see Crosby on the Habs but I'm scared what we would have to give to get. Free to dream and not likely to happen but like I said... a small part of me thinks it might happen.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Agreed. However, I'm curious (not going to happen but still curious)... Lets say Crosby at some point wants out and has Montreal on his list. Would you engage on trade negotiations? What would it take? 5 more years left at $8.7M (age 33-37). 1 less year in term vs Price and they are the same age.

A small part of me says Crosby finishes that contract in Montreal.... I believe Crosby and McKinnon were Habs fans growing up. Not 100% sure
We managed to get a washed up Briere to sign, has there been anyone else in the last 40 years who came home?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We managed to get a washed up Briere to sign, has there been anyone else in the last 40 years who came home?

Don't remember any impact playing coming home to Montreal in their 20's? Leafs have a bit more options though cause 20% of the players in the NHL come from Ontario and only 7% from Quebec. Something like that. Leafs also don't attack Ontario boys like the Habs do with Quebec talent.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Don't remember any impact playing coming home to Montreal in their 20's? Leafs have a bit more options though cause 20% of the players in the NHL come from Ontario and only 7% from Quebec. Something like that. Leafs also don't attack Ontario boys like the Habs do with Quebec talent.
Don’t think any team eats their young more than Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don’t think any team eats their young more than Montreal

It's an established culture that's difficult to shake. Passion for Hockey is real and we also have GM's in the basement of many homes in Quebec and the Maritimes. Only impact guy I see coming to Montreal might be Crosby. Doubt it but a small part of me thinks the timing might fit... Pens falling and Habs rising in the next 2 or 3 years? It's possible. Crosby has a NMC so he dictates where he goes if they move him... Think he was a Habs fan going up.

Too early to talk about that yes. We will see how both the Pens and Habs do in the next few years. What trade would work? Maybe if we sign Danault to a $5M, 7 year term and he gets even better in his prime. Wonder how Danault, 2022 1st, and maybe Primeau looks to the Pens in another 2 years?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'd rather keep Domi unless the incoming package is wonderful.

He should be playing as an offensive winger, who can replace one of the top three centers when there's an injury. Injuries to Habs players happen all of the time.

Domi also adds some toughness to the Habs.

That Domi's currently playing on the 4th line is due to the Habs' lack of depth, which is due to Bergevin having made the correct decision to sell assets at the deadline. And if we were just one year ahead, either of of Poehling or maybe Vejdemo would be able to handle that role.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd rather keep Domi unless the incoming package is wonderful.

He should be playing as an offensive winger, who can replace one of the top three centers when there's an injury. Injuries to Habs players happen all of the time.

Domi also adds some toughness to the Habs.

That Domi's currently playing on the 4th line is due to the Habs' lack of depth, which is due to Bergevin having made the correct decision to sell assets at the deadline. And if we were just one year ahead, either of of Poehling or maybe Vejdemo would be able to handle that role.

Agreed. The return has to be right. Like 70-80 pts value for a puck possession winger who can play center if you need him to... type trade value. Trading him for 50 pts value is dumb.

Reactions: DAChampion

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's an established culture that's difficult to shake. Passion for Hockey is real and we also have GM's in the basement of many homes in Quebec and the Maritimes. Only impact guy I see coming to Montreal might be Crosby. Doubt it but a small part of me thinks the timing might fit... Pens falling and Habs rising in the next 2 or 3 years? It's possible. Crosby has a NMC so he dictates where he goes if they move him... Think he was a Habs fan going up.

Too early to talk about that yes. We will see how both the Pens and Habs do in the next few years. What trade would work? Maybe if we sign Danault to a $5M, 7 year term and he gets even better in his prime. Wonder how Danault, 2022 1st, and maybe Primeau looks to the Pens in another 2 years?

This is not the province, this is the city of Montreal. This was never a problem on the Nordiques.

Toronto has the same problem, it comes from a class of high-passion and low-knowledge fans, hence why they involve politics and hyper-emotional stances on local players. See: what just happened to Marner.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Funny as it sounds, Habs are set at center. All they need is wingers and to convert high cost assets like Petry, Tatar, Gallagher into cost-controlled assets.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think it comes together over a span of a few years. By that point, Weber is gone and maybe Petry and Gallagher too. Will Domi and Drouin mature in their 25-30+ years at the same time Suzuki and Kotkaniemi turn into impact top 2c's? Then add Caufield and whoever we draft in the next draft?

Do the Habs keep the core in place and keep inserting kids here and there? Or do they make a quicker movement towards youth and lets some vets go? Next 2 years will reveal a lot
It seems that what once was a position in strength and too much depth, especially LW has devolved into our biggest weakness. Given Tatar, Drouin and Domi’s performance thus far, it doesn’t bode well for the future seeing we have zero LW prospects in the pipe. As for RW, we had Gally and Armia but again, outside of Caufield, we got bubkas in the prospect side.

I’d imagine we’d go pretty hard to get some legit wingers via trade and draft. We’re going to need it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Funny as it sounds, Habs are set at center. All they need is wingers and to convert high cost assets like Petry, Tatar, Gallagher into cost-controlled assets.
Agreed but I’d change/add Domi and remove Petry from that list as he’s not going anywhere. Gally, well that depends on his contract demands but certainly wouldn’t pay for past performance given his style of play and miles on his body.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Petry is cheap and next contract will be similar due to age.

Gallagher is the heart and soul, like Foligno to Columbus, not going anywhere.

Tatar......yes.....move him

Drouin......move him

Domi......sure, why not

there’s 17m$ in savings minimum.

Alzner gone......tack on another 5m$ or whatever he makes

there’s just no way in hell im moving Gallagher or Petry now.

if we can somehow get a hold of Lindholm from Ducks

Chiarot-Weber
Lindholm-Petry
Romanov-Fleury

Eventually it would become

Lindholm-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Fleury

I really like this D corps, a mix of power and finesse, stay at homes and free wheeling, lots of nasty and hard hitting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is not the province, this is the city of Montreal. This was never a problem on the Nordiques.

Toronto has the same problem, it comes from a class of high-passion and low-knowledge fans, hence why they involve politics and hyper-emotional stances on local players. See: what just happened to Marner.

I don't know man... Habs fans are pretty passionate in the Maritimes too. It's a war out here between Habs, Leafs, and Bruins.

Habs fan base is all over the place. I get what you are saying in terms of Montreal vs Quebec but the history of the Habs trumps the Nordiques. We expect the Habs to be contenders and when they are not, some go on attack mode. Reality

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It seems that what once was a position in strength and too much depth, especially LW has devolved into our biggest weakness. Given Tatar, Drouin and Domi’s performance thus far, it doesn’t bode well for the future seeing we have zero LW prospects in the pipe. As for RW, we had Gally and Armia but again, outside of Caufield, we got bubkas in the prospect side.

I’d imagine we’d go pretty hard to get some legit wingers via trade and draft. We’re going to need it.

I agree on Caufield and then a substantial drop. We will see what Ylonen and Teasdale do in Laval next year. Poehling might stall again or jump forward. But yeah, it's a grade A and then multiple B's or worse at wing. I consider Poehling a winger at this stage with some hope he can play center but looks like a good skating power forward winger to me. Heading into this past year, I had Poehling as a A- or B+ and now I have him as a B.

I think we draft a winger with our 16th pick. Not many D around that spot and lots of wingers.

What's going on with Tatar, Domi, Drouin? Who knows but every team needs players 25+ and even 30+. Having a complete hockey team from 20-30 lacks leadership. I think Tavares and Muzzin are not enough for the Leafs to be honest. We have to be careful with drooling over futures only. A combo of the two is the smarter plan IMO. Or you run the risk of being a team like the Sabres

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Agreed but I’d change/add Domi and remove Petry from that list as he’s not going anywhere. Gally, well that depends on his contract demands but certainly wouldn’t pay for past performance given his style of play and miles on his body.

Funny enough, Petry is the oldest of all you mentionned... Why is he going nowhere ? Hockey is a business, nothing more. You have to make tough moves for the future.

Drouin......move him

Domi......sure, why not

Chiarot-Weber
Lindholm-Petry
Romanov-Fleury

Lindholm-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Fleury

I really like this D corps, a mix of power and finesse, stay at homes and free wheeling, lots of nasty and hard hitting.

Petry is cheap ? He's going to take a cheap deal because he likes it here ? He will be paid less than 7m ? Or is he smart and he will try to bank on his last contract ? Come on Jaffy, lets not be this naive.

Petry didn't make much money in his career, he'll want to bank for his last contract, big term, big money.

Gallagher is breaking down and you will be paying for past performances. Moving on is the smart thing.

You can't get a hold of Lindholm while giivng nothing, stop being such a blind fan.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't know man... Habs fans are pretty passionate in the Maritimes too. It's a war out here between Habs, Leafs, and Bruins.

Not saying people are less passionate outside of Montreal...

I'm saying you have less of these high-passion, low knowledge (both of these characteristics) fans.

Ie. fans in the maritimes know their hockey and therefore would not criticize players for stupid things most of the times.

Montreal eats its own young players, because you have journalists who specialize in exploiting the mass of high-passion / low knowledge fans for clicks and revenues...

Toronto does the same and I would presume Vancouver/Calgary must have some of these fans as well (generally present in large cities). Quebec City/Winnipeg/Edmonton = fans are knowledgeable about hockey, the critics are very different.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

I think Domi should take tatar's spot on the top line. Before we talk about his performance

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Drouin......move him

Domi......sure, why not

Chiarot-Weber
Lindholm-Petry
Romanov-Fleury

Lindholm-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Fleury

It would be nice if the Habs had a more physical team that can hit and punish and have some skill. How long do we have to wait? :dunno:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not saying people are less passionate outside of Montreal...

I'm saying you have less of these high-passion, low knowledge (both of these characteristics) fans.

Ie. fans in the maritimes know their hockey and therefore would not criticize players for stupid things most of the times.

Montreal eats its own young players, because you have journalists who specialize in exploiting the mass of high-passion / low knowledge fans for clicks and revenues...

I'll have to trust you on that. I don't live in Quebec and only typically make the trip to Montreal a few times a season

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Funny enough, Petry is the oldest of all you mentionned... Why is he going nowhere ? Hockey is a business, nothing more. You have to make tough moves for the future.

Petry is cheap ? He's going to take a cheap deal because he likes it here ? He will be paid less than 7m ? Or is he smart and he will try to bank on his last contract ? Come on Jaffy, lets not be this naive.

Petry didn't make much money in his career, he'll want to bank for his last contract, big term, big money.

Gallagher is breaking down and you will be paying for past performances. Moving on is the smart thing.

You can't get a hold of Lindholm while giivng nothing, stop being such a blind fan.
Petry will be 33 1/2 by the time his contract is over, sorry, but this is not the age where players cash in on huge contracts,

6m$ per for 3yrs and he’ll hurry to sign on dotted line.

he’s staying

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I don't know what the Habs can truthfully get for Domi. But if there is a deal to be made between Habs and Pens, I would like to see either Poulin or Légaré come Habs' way in the deal.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Petry will be 33 1/2 by the time his contract is over, sorry, but this is not the age where players cash in on huge contracts,

he’s staying
Lmao, if its 6 million for 3 years he's stupid and Im signing him 10/10.

It won't be though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

he’s staying

Agreed. Think Muzzin type contract if Petry really wants to stay a Habs. 3 or 4 years takes him from 33-35/36.

$6M for 4 years is fair to Petry and the Team. Let Fleury, Brook, and Juulsen battle for the last RD spot. If two or all of those 3 shine and bust out... it's a good problem to have

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Friedman reporting how it looks from the Pens side of things. But what about the Habs? We are not going to trade Domi for futures only IMO. Need a roster player and don't see anything they would provide that I would really like.

Pens fans say no to Poulin. Well, Poulin is only the 1st must have. Who's the roster player that gets this deal done? I like Poulin a lot but even if they add the 15th pick, not sure I make that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad