Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The Habs are not going to get an elite #1 centre unless they overpay by quite a bit. Nick Suzuki just lead all rookie centres in points this season as a 19 year old, even slowing down the last 9 games. Let him grow into that role over the next couple of seasons (with Danault still putting up big minutes against the top lines). If he continues to grow he’ll get there and could be elite. And if Kotkaniemi is able to do the same Montreal will be set up the middle for the next while.

Not sure why anyone believes the Habs can go from being a team that is 24th in the league, 3rd last in regulation wins, and hasn’t won a playoff series in 5 years to instant contenders with a couple of moves. Plus the Habs have to deal with at least 2 teams who will be one of the best in the NHL in their division for the next few seasons. It takes time to build a long term contender, it takes good drafting, development, and patience.
I agree. What I said was if you’re going to do it, at least do it for a young center like Eichel, Barkov etc. Of course the price is high but that’s not the point. They do get traded and the price is usually far less than people think in just about every case. For once, we have the assets to be in on one so if it costs us some good young prospects for a bonefide too center, history shows the team that gets the best player usually wins the trade.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I agree. What I said was if you’re going to do it, at least do it for a young center like Eichel, Barkov etc. Of course the price is high but that’s not the point. They do get traded and the price is usually far less than people think in just about every case. For once, we have the assets to be in on one so if it costs us some good young prospects for a bonefide too center, history shows the team that gets the best player usually wins the trade.

In the past decade which elite centres going into or in their prime have got traded (other than maybe ROR)? Recently I can think of below elite centres like Duchene, Turris, Johansen who got traded.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
In the past decade which elite centres going into or in their prime have got traded (other than maybe ROR)? Recently I can think of below elite centres like Duchene, Turris, Johansen who got traded.
Seguin is another not to mention others who’ve changed teams via free agency. Happens all the time. Just not for us.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Seguin is another not to mention others who’ve changed teams via free agency. Happens all the time. Just not for us.

Seguin was via a bad trade, that doesn’t happen often. Other than maybe Tavares which UFA centerman have been worth their salary and term? I don’t think it happens all the time. Most of the elite centremen in their prime in the league are still with the team that drafted and developed them.

NHL.com did a list of the top 20 best centres right now and 17/20 are with the same team that drafted them.

#NHLTopPlayers: Top Centers, Nos. 20-11

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Why are some posters so eager to "find a center for Lafrenière" before even trying him out with the ones we currently have?
Especially if that depletes the prospect pool and screws our cap situation?

Lafrenière is expected to drive his line, once accustomed to the NHL.
A center with a good shot, a minimum of anticipation and good positioning will do some serious damage there; we have 2 or 3 of those already, can there be chemistry with at least one of them?
As some posters mentioned we have 2 defensively aware RWs to tag along in Gallagher and Armia.

Lafrenière has been compared to Huberdeau and Kotkaniemi was once compared to Barkov.
Not saying this is going to be the same success story but do you think FLA develops their current first line if they don't let the kids play and learn?
HFHabs went full Claude today - never go full Claude hahaha! /rant

Reactions: Locks and le_sean

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why are some posters so eager to "find a center for Lafrenière" before even trying him out with the ones we currently have?

A center with a good shot, a minimum of anticipation and good positioning will do some serious damage there; we have 2 or 3 of those already, can there be chemistry with at least one of them?
As some posters mentioned we have 2 defensively aware RWs to tag along in Gallagher and Armia.

Lafrenière has been compared to Huberdeau and Kotkaniemi was once compared to Barkov.
Not saying this is going to be the same success story but do you think FLA develops their current first line if they don't let the kids play and learn?
I agree. I think we need to develop the centres we have first before trading them. Domi was a 70+ point center with Drouin on his wing. KK just turned 20 and has yet to really play with any significant tAlent. Suzuki is still in his first year and has shown a huge amount of promise. Danault is borderline Selke level talent.

Plenty of center talent on this team that we need to see play out first.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I agree. I think we need to develop the centres we have first before trading them. Domi was a 70+ point center with Drouin on his wing. KK just turned 20 and has yet to really play with any significant tAlent. Suzuki is still in his first year and has shown a huge amount of promise. Danault is borderline Selke level talent.

This is what I want to see too. I think over the next 2-3 years the Habs can have the best talent they’ve had in decades at centre, it’ll just take some time and they don’t have to give up any assets in the process.

And before we were discussing centres who have switched teams; one of those who could become very good who switched teams is Nick Suzuki. Yeah it was before he entered the NHL, but it’s even rare for top centreman prospects (who later become very good) to get traded.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This is what I want to see too. I think over the next 2-3 years the Habs can have the best talent they’ve had in decades at centre, it’ll just take some time and they don’t have to give up any assets in the process.

And before we were discussing centres who have switched teams; one of those who could become very good who switched teams is Nick Suzuki. Yeah it was before he entered the NHL, but it’s even rare for top centreman prospects (who later become very good) to get traded.

Absolutely on board with that, Montreal fans need to be a little bit patient with the future C-line. We need to improve the D to stabilize the back end and the whole team in the process.

Beyond that, we need to add some talent with a little bit of size on the wing. Obviously, a winger with more elite talent who isn't 4'2" like Lafrenière wouldn't hurt...

Trading for a C should take the form of us receiving a young enough, game changing, elite talent at that position for players that are disposable and not essential to our future core, plus picks but, that's highly unlikely to happen. The more you will read the past sentence the clearer that will become.

Reactions: CHfan1

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can agree with trying to go for broke and getting a bona fida no. 1 center but I don't think either Getlaf nor Kopitar fit the bill. I'd 100% target Eichel, Barkov, PLD or someone else who's young and fit into the core of this team. Why ditch the ton of young assets it would take to land a no. 1 center for only a handful of productive years at best?

If you're going to go for a no. 1 center better go for an established younger one that can grow and form chemistry with another young star than for years to come.

Who wouldn't want Eichel, Barkov, or PLD? Of course they would be the 1st targets if they were actually available. You just won't get any of them in their Prime. Who trades that? So I would see what it takes to get guys like Getzlaf or Kopitar. I'm not afraid of their 60-80 pts age 30 seasons. Those guys are not in massive decline but they are playing on struggling teams that may want to rebuild.

There may be another fit and maybe you wait to see what options are at the deadline. Things change from year to year and a player might become available. What about trading our 1st and a B prospect like Ylonen for Getzlaf at the deadline? He is a pending UFA

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Absolutely. Give the D a solid top 4 lhd and let our centers develop. I like what i see forwards wise. On D we need a little bit of help.

This offseason's priority is stabilizing the D. With Romanov and getting another top 4lhd, we will be in good shape NOW and probably for the future with guys like Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Juulsen etc.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If we don't get Lafreniere, I would be willing to stay patient. But if we do get Lafreniere, I would be very aggressive at making moves to create a more balanced roster. Not looking for a center who produces points only. Looking for a beast that does the assignments well at both ends. Domi is really a puck possession winger that can play center. Not good on faceoffs and not a shutdown center.

Can Domi shelter Lafreniere? Perhaps our best option IMO.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Who wouldn't want Eichel, Barkov, or PLD? Of course they would be the 1st targets if they were actually available. You just won't get any of them in their Prime. Who trades that? So I would see what it takes to get guys like Getzlaf or Kopitar. I'm not afraid of their 60-80 pts age 30 seasons. Those guys are not in massive decline but they are playing on struggling teams that may want to rebuild.

There may be another fit and maybe you wait to see what options are at the deadline. Things change from year to year and a player might become available. What about trading our 1st and a B prospect like Ylonen for Getzlaf at the deadline? He is a pending UFA

My point is if you’re going to get a top line center, I wouldn’t bother unless you’re getting a certifiably better one than the ones we have. Kopitar, Getzlaf and the bunch are absolutely on decline and not the players they once were and likely won’t be again. Domi, KK and Suzuki have either shown they can replicate that production or that they can be what those precious centres are now or better and else don’t have to throw away any assets to get them.

Ultimately, neither Getzlaf or Kopitar make us a contender even with Laff as we’re just as bad a team as they’re going on. So if you do land Laff (we won’t) I wouldn’t waste the assets on them. I’d spend more and get a younger, proven asset that will be here longer. If not available, I’d keep the ones we have to grow with Laff moving forward as he’s make them better anyways and we’d have that much more depth and deeper organization for it.

If we don't get Lafreniere, I would be willing to stay patient. But if we do get Lafreniere, I would be very aggressive at making moves to create a more balanced roster. Not looking for a center who produces points only. Looking for a beast that does the assignments well at both ends. Domi is really a puck possession winger that can play center. Not good on faceoffs and not a shutdown center.

Can Domi shelter Lafreniere? Perhaps our best option IMO.

Read above post.

As for Domi sheltering Laff, probably not. But KK and Suzuki have both shown signs that they can, especially if brought along properly. I still have a huge amount of hope in KK’s ability to be a true no. 1 center like a Barkov, Mikki Koivu (in his prime) etc. He may be a few years away but I can see it in him. Suzuki I see as an Yzerman or Sakic light. Has all the tools and can set up players, play d and score goals.

The point is we already have a good set of centres. If we’re going to upgrade, we should actually upgrade and not move sideways with older players on the down side of their careers in hopes of a 2-3 year run and then we have depleted assets and need to rebuild again. Make it count or continue with the retool as is.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Absolutely. Give the D a solid top 4 lhd and let our centers develop. I like what i see forwards wise. On D we need a little bit of help.

This offseason's priority is stabilizing the D. With Romanov and getting another top 4lhd, we will be in good shape NOW and probably for the future with guys like Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Juulsen etc.
Not saying g he is part of the future, but what about Mete? I agree with what your saying. If we acquire another top 4 LHD with Romanov added. Chiarot moves to 3rd LD. Pushing Mete out.

Now Mete is due for a contract. Should they move him in a package to acquire the top 4 LHD or in a seperate deal after acquiring.

I really like the Allen + Dunn for 2x2nd round picks. Then try and move Mete for a pick or a forward possibly.

Dunn Weber
Romanov Petry
Chiarot Juulsen
Kulak Brook

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Brodin or Dunn?

- I rather Brodin but maybe it's best to wait and see if the Wild extend him before the season starts. If they don't and the Habs are in a playoff hunt, maybe we can trade for him at the deadline?

- If we want Dunn, we would have to make a move earlier and probably on draft day. Dunn and Allen for Blues 2nd, two 4th's, and a B prospect. Maybe rights to Ikonen or Olofsson? Doing this on draft day allows the Blues to focus on Pietrangelo. Maybe we have to send Kulak the other way?

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not saying g he is part of the future, but what about Mete? I agree with what your saying. If we acquire another top 4 LHD with Romanov added. Chiarot moves to 3rd LD. Pushing Mete out.

Now Mete is due for a contract. Should they move him in a package to acquire the top 4 LHD or in a seperate deal after acquiring.

I really like the Allen + Dunn for 2x2nd round picks. Then try and move Mete for a pick or a forward possibly.

Dunn Weber
Romanov Petry
Chiarot Juulsen
Brook

Does Mete have to clear waivers next year? If not, put him in the AHL. And I think Brook and Fleury should play AHL for one more year. Here is the thing... Mete is still young and can still grow and mature more so giving up on him at this point might be a mistake. I'd wait for another year at least.

I would move Mete but only if the return was something of value. A 2nd round pick? Not sure about that. Think I would want at least two 2nd's

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Dunn Weber
Romanov Petry
Chiarot Juulsen
Brook
I would give Mete more rope, keep those 2 picks. They are good picks. Think we can get another Romanov with one of those. Keep Fleury instead of Brook, he needs time with Joel. Kulak you can get thru waivers, send him down, provided NHL caliber depth and saves million in cap

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

If we get Lafreniere, Habs be in postion first time to sign a top UFA.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Cause the young centers we have may not be a good fit early on and we have a unique situation with Vets and young players where we should make moves to go up in the standings faster while Lafreniere, Suzuki, Romanov are on ELC and Weber is still around.

If you stay patient and conservative, Weber will be gone and Price will be 35+ by the time those centers are mature. And you might look back in 3 or 4 years wondering why didn't we make a move while we had very good vets still performing. After those guys are gone... some are not considering the difficulty of replacing them

Remember this conversation cause if we do get Lafreniere and we go with our current centers, I bet you there will be lots of talk about that. Lafreniere is going to be a target so having a mature big center who can draw attention away is a good situation for him.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Brodin or Dunn?

- I rather Brodin but maybe it's best to wait and see if the Wild extend him before the season starts. If they don't and the Habs are in a playoff hunt, maybe we can trade for him at the deadline?

- If we want Dunn, we would have to make a move earlier and probably on draft day. Dunn and Allen for Blues 2nd, two 4th's, and a B prospect. Maybe rights to Ikonen or Olofsson? Doing this on draft day allows the Blues to focus on Pietrangelo. Maybe we have to send Kulak the other way?

Definately Brodin. Dunn is still ??? And i don't want to go for another guess.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Definately Brodin. Dunn is still ??? And i don't want to go for another guess.

I would agree on that even if it appears the cost to get Dunn is cheaper. I'm a big Brodin fan and I think he fits our team needs. Very curious if the Wild come to terms on a new contract before the next season starts.

Even in a sign/trade, he don't have full value. We might get away with trading them our 2021 1st (top 10 protection) and Poehling.

Does Brodin have more value than Patch in sign/trade?

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019
idk whats up with the Kopitar obsession but MB will never trade the top prospects it would take to acquire him,he refused Poehling for ROR who was much younger and better so no way he trades KK or a top 10 pick for a 10mill declining center let alone both,that would be such a horrible trade that would hunt us for years :facepalm:

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Does Mete have to clear waivers next year? If not, put him in the AHL. And I think Brook and Fleury should play AHL for one more year. Here is the thing... Mete is still young and can still grow and mature more so giving up on him at this point might be a mistake. I'd wait for another year at least.

I would move Mete but only if the return was something of value. A 2nd round pick? Not sure about that. Think I would want at least two 2nd's

I do believe Mete needs to clear waivers if sent down , and I don't believe he clears waivers. Hell Carolina will pick him to spite us.

I haven,t seen much of Dunn , except for the stats sheet. And i know this is not the most entertaining opinion to have on a forum.....

but i would hold on to Mete , I'm convinced even as early as next year it will pay dividends. If we can't improve our defense significantly (1st line LD or Petry equivalent on the LD Side) , I stand Pat with Romanov Chiarot Mete on my left side.

Still better than last year.

Then Seattle expansion , and then we make some moves or promote some kids.

I

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Mete and Juulsen are waiver eligible. Fleury will be in 2021-2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad