Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 49

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
If we lost the play-in round and didn't win 1st overall, I would definitely consider moving the 9th overall pick for Boeser. He would add much needed goal scoring and he's only 23. Right now all we have is Caufield.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
If we lost the play-in round and didn't win 1st overall, I would definitely consider moving the 9th overall pick for Boeser. He would add much needed goal scoring and he's only 23. Right now all we have is Caufield.
i'm not the BIGGEST Boeser fan, but i don't know why Vancouver would consider this. Of course Montreal does this, he's still lock for 2 more years at a decent cap hit and then he's still RFA at 25 year, you can basicly lock him long term with barely no declining years.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
It was if we get Lafreniere... the idea was finding a center that could shelter him.
do you know what sheltering means?

Playing him with Kopitar and make him play against top oppossing lines every night is the contrary of sheltering a kid. Montreal has enough depth at LW and quality C to shelter Lafreniere without making him play with plugs. ( not that i think Lafreniere would need sheltering anyway. i would see him start on the third line for a couple of matches and then switch him with Suzuki for the rest of the year and give tough match up to Danault and Gallagher and who ever their LW will be cause i would see Tatar being traded.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
do you know what sheltering means?

Playing him with Kopitar and make him play against top oppossing lines every night is the contrary of sheltering a kid. Montreal has enough depth at LW and quality C to shelter Lafreniere without making him play with plugs. ( not that i think Lafreniere would need sheltering anyway. i would see him start on the third line for a couple of matches and then switch him with Suzuki for the rest of the year and give tough match up to Danault and Gallagher and who ever their LW will be cause i would see Tatar being traded.

Sheltering like how McAvoy played with Chara? I think Lafreniere is a good enough talent to be on any top line. But when the center is more mature like Kopitar and not guys like Suzuki, Domi, Kotkaniemi who are leaning to be mature centers? And no, I don't want Lafreniere playing with Danault.

Like do the Devils have good wingers to help shelter Hughes? Would Hughes jump forward quicker if he had a winger who had size/skating/skill and was mature like Kopitar?

I think you get my point but continue on with whatever you got stapled in your head.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Sheltering like how McAvoy played with Chara? I think Lafreniere is a good enough talent to be on any top line. But when the center is more mature like Kopitar and not guys like Suzuki, Domi, Kotkaniemi who are leaning to be mature centers? And no, I don't want Lafreniere playing with Danault.

Like do the Devils have good wingers to help shelter Hughes? Would Hughes jump forward quicker if he had a winger who had size/skating/skill and was mature like Kopitar?

I think you get my point but continue on with whatever you got stapled in your head.

That's Mentoring, the kid should be good enough to handle it. Yes Lafreniere is probably good enough to handle first line minutes with a good line mates, but that's still the opposite of sheltering a kid.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's Mentoring, the kid should be good enough to handle it. Yes Lafreniere is probably good enough to handle first line minutes with a good line mates, but that's still the opposite of sheltering a kid.

Sure, call it whatever you want. It don't change the fact that MacAvoy played top minutes with Chara and it could be both Sheltering and Mentoring. Don't be sensitive, you get my point in terms of who Lafreneire's center is if we draft him.

If we get lucky and draft Lafreniere, mark my words. There is going to be a huge conversation about protecting him and who his center is.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Since we’re in dreamland..

IMO Lafreniere & KK would make A formidable duo - throw in Armia as the veteran / calming presence to allow both to grow and develop chemistry.

Reactions: Guilliam

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If we get lucky and draft Lafreniere, mark my words. There is going to be a huge conversation about protecting him and who his center is.

Couldn't it just be Danault? I don't see the need to have to staple him to Tatar and Gallagher all the time. Give Suzuki or KK a good offensive winger.

Reactions: HOPE

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Couldn't it just be Danault? I don't see the need to have to staple him to Tatar and Gallagher all the time. Give Suzuki or KK a good offensive winger.

We might have to use Danault. Get ready for the shit show if we get Lafreniere. Not so sure it's smart to play him with any one of our current centers to be honest. He plays in your face and doesn't back down so I think he gets targeted on our current roster. Might get hurt. A center like Kopitar or whoever you can get that is similar would help in terms of puck possession and drawing attention

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Sure, call it whatever you want. It don't change the fact that MacAvoy played top minutes with Chara and it could be both Sheltering and Mentoring. Don't be sensitive, you get my point in terms of who Lafreneire's center is if we draft him.

I doubt Kopitar puts the Habs on his 7 team trade list (just like I doubt Brodin signs a long term extension with the Habs) so it’ll have to be someone else.

Maybe run with:

The Danault line with Tatar and Gallagher and put Lafrenière with Suzuki and Drouin.

What other top (non-RFA) centres could the Habs target?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Lmao, dude how big is your ego?, i'm not calling it whatever i want. i'm telling you the right definition of the word you're using wrongly. you can't be sheltered and play top line minutes vs top opposing lines. McAvoy indeed played top line minutes with Chara as a Mentor but he wasn't sheltered, he was good enough to play that role and for sure having a experienced guy like Chara probably helped his developpment.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt Kopitar puts the Habs on his 7 team trade list (just like I doubt Brodin signs a long term extension with the Habs) so it’ll have to be someone else.

Maybe run with:

The Danault line with Tatar and Gallagher and put Lafrenière with Suzuki and Drouin.

What other top (non-RFA) centres could the Habs target?

Kopitar is just one option and I look to the Kings cause they appear to be heading into rebuild. I'm fully aware it has low probability and the point of it all is to find a center who is good on faceoffs, has size, skates, well and has skill. A lot to ask for but that's what I would be after and yes, I would consider trading Kotkaniemi. I think Kotkaniemi has huge gains to take in skating if he becomes a 1C. Possible yes.

Other targets could be Getzlaf. I would to say Eichel but were not getting a center in their prime.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since we’re in dreamland..

IMO Lafreniere & KK would make A formidable duo - throw in Armia as the veteran / calming presence to allow both to grow and develop chemistry.

Lafreniere and Kotkaniemi could make for a good 1/2 combo but that's after the Weber window expires. Replacing Weber and Price won't be easy people. Even if we like Primeau a lot. Exchange holes in one spot for other spots if you stay to conservative.

Last thing I want is Eichel and Dahlin and no solutions in sight to turn that ship around in the Sabres. People ignoring Price and Weber and drooling over the future after them are not considering more frustration is very possible over the next decade. I think it's best to use our prospect pool to fill holes now and trade surplus for players we need.... especially when you got a group of vets like we have and if we had Lafreniere, Suzuki, and Romanov on ELC's.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Kopitar is just one option and I look to the Kings cause they appear to be heading into rebuild. I'm fully aware it has low probability and the point of it all is to find a center who is good on faceoffs, has size, skates, well and has skill. A lot to ask for but that's what I would be after and yes, I would consider trading Kotkaniemi. I think Kotkaniemi has huge gains to take in skating if he becomes a 1C. Possible yes.

Other targets could be Getzlaf. I would to say Eichel but were not getting a center in their prime.

Getzlaf is on the decline and has a NMC too. Another player who I can’t see waiving I to come to Montreal. Is there any other non-RFA player without a NTC or NMC you would target?

Not sure why the Habs need a centre going into their mid thirties and giving up premium assets to get him.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Getzlaf is on the decline and has a NMC too. Another player who I can’t see waiving I to come to Montreal. Is Joe Thornton next on your list?

Not sure why the Habs need a centre going into their mid thirties and giving up premium assets to get him.

I don't have the option to call other GM's to inquire. But you get my point... those are the types of centers we need right now today if we get Lafreniere. I'm not afraid of star centers that have production in the 60-80 pts range in their 30's. Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Tavares, Stamkos, Bergeron, Giroux, Backstrom, Getzlaf, are all in their 30's are just starting. You think they are going to turn into Carter or Staal quickly right? Getzlaf has 1 year left and is 35. He does have a NMC yes. And maybe he is available, maybe not. I would look at many options to help find a center that fits better with Lafreniere. Danault is the only guy we have and my strategy would be for him to stay where he is with Tatar and Gallagher and to find more proven centers for Lafreniere to play with.

Lafreniere with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or even Domi sounds like for a 100% rebuilding team yeah. We are not that team with Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry, and others. I think our fan base is guilty thinking our core after our vets are gone is going to be a contender. An improved prospect pool to me is a great situation but I'm not going to ignore the top players we have right now, I'm going to cherry pick the guys we need and possibly trade others to get players to make our team better now, not later.

100% rebuilds are for fools cause for every team that hits, there are a half dozen that fall flat on their face. You have the right to ignore Price and Weber all you want. I'm not willing to ignore our top players we have today. My plan is to mix in more youth and more vets.

You can laugh at the Kotkaniemi and 2021 1st for Kopitar (retention down to $7M) idea all you want. I understand the risks/rewards for both sides. If you were the Kings, you might say this... what if Kotkaniemi turns into a 3C and that 1st is a 2025 range pick cause the Habs are a much better team while Kopitar has 4 very good years playing with Lafreniere?

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't have the option to all other GM's to inquire. But you get my point... those are the types of centers we need right now today. I'm not afraid of star centers that have production in the 60-80 pts range in their 30's. Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Tavares, Stamkos, Bergeron, Giroux, Backstrom, Getzlaf, are all in their 30's are just starting. You think they are going to turn into Carter or Staal quickly right?

Getzlaf has 1 year left and is 35. He does have a NMC yes. And maybe he is available, maybe not. I would look at many options to help find a center that fits better with Lafreniere. Danault is the only guy we have and my strategy would be for him to stay where he is with Tatar and Gallagher and to find more proven centers for Lafreniere to play with.

Lafreniere with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or even Domi sounds like for a 100% rebuilding team yeah. We are not that team with Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry, and others. I think our fan base is guilty thinking our core after our vets are gone is going to be a contender.

An improved prospect pool to me is a great situation but I'm not going to ignore the top players we have right now, I'm going to cherry pick the guys we need and possibly trade others to get players to make our team better now, not later.

100% rebuilds are for fools cause for every team that hits, there are a half dozen that fall flat on their face. You have the right to ignore Price and Weber all you want. Don't jump on my back cause I'm looking at both vets and youth mixed in

I’m not advocating for a full rebuild. If they get Laf they have a lot of the pieces to build a great team for the future. A team that can be a long term contender. Not try and force a window around Price and Weber. I just think if the Habs get Lafrenière their future core in 3-4 years is better than the core now, with players like Weber, Danault, Gallagher, as complimentary pieces.

Building around Laf, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Caufield, Primeau, and Romanov is the way to go. Better that than having 35% of the salary cap tied up in players who are 35+ in a couple of years.

BTW all the players you listed have some kind of NTC or NMC. Anyone you would target that doesn’t have that and is not a RFA?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m not advocating for a full rebuild. If they get Laf they have a lot of the pieces to build a great team for the future. A team that can be a long term contender. Not try and force a window around Price and Weber. I just think if the Habs get Lafrenière their future core in 3-4 years is better than the core now, with players like Weber, Danault, Gallagher, as complimentary pieces.

Building around Laf, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Caufield, Primeau, and Romanov is the way to go. Better that than having 35% of the salary cap tied up in players who are 35+ in a couple of years.

BTW all the players you listed have some kind of NTC or NMC. Anyone you would target that doesn’t have that and is not a RFA?

If you get Lafreniere, I do believe we should be aggressive at finding a center for him to play with... during the Weber 3 or 4 year window and during Lafreniere's 3 year ELC. I don't support staying conservative if we get Lafreniere.

Not many C's out there. Kopitar and Getzlaf are the only two I think are more probable than a guy like Eichel. It won't be easy to get a center like Kopitar even if they are 33 next season. Your not going to be able to pull that off without digging deep in the prospect pool.

Not looking for a Seguin type. Looking for a Tavares, Bergeron, Kopitar, Getzlaf type. Too bad we didn't trade Poehling+ for ROR eh (in hindsight). That's what I'm talking about in terms of being too conservative cause we have a top 5 prospect pool.

Flyers dug deep in cap hit to sign Hayes and it was not all about points with them. They even have Nolan in the pipeline. Dealing with injuries but they are not going to ignore Giroux and Voracek's window. Habs actually have better vets.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
If habs land Lafreniere in the draft , and Buffalo offers Eichel for him. Do you do it???

I realise the outcry this would generate , not the best PR move for the habs, but they 100% have to consider it.

I would in a heartbeat but I don't buy the hype around 1st overall , im sure he'll be good , but Jonathan Huberdeau type of good.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If you get Lafreniere, I do believe we should be aggressive at finding a center for him to play with... during the Weber 3 or 4 year window and during Lafreniere's 3 year ELC. I don't support staying conservative if we get Lafreniere.

Not many C's out there. Kopitar and Getzlaf are the only two I think are more probable than a guy like Eichel. It won't be easy to get a center like Kopitar even if they are 33 next season. Your not going to be able to pull that off without digging deep in the prospect pool.

Not looking for a Seguin type. Looking for a Tavares, Bergeron, Kopitar, Getzlaf type. Too bad we didn't trade Poehling+ for ROR eh (in hindsight). That's what I'm talking about in terms of being too conservative cause we have a top 5 prospect pool.

Flyers dug deep in cap hit to sign Hayes and it was not all about points with them. They even have Nolan in the pipeline. Dealing with injuries but they are not going to ignore Giroux and Voracek's window. Habs actually have better vets.

My point is all the top centres, even the older ones, are almost impossible to trade for. Some, like you listed, have NTC, NMC and some are just not available because they are in their prime and teams don’t trade those players. The best centres are typically draft and developed. The Habs have Suzuki and Kotkaniemi now who have the potential to be that 1-2 punch down the middle for the Habs in a few years. That is the Habs best bet in becoming a contender.

I also don’t believe there is a Weber/Price window with them as the Habs best players. And I don’t believe Lafrenière is going to be the huge difference maker in year one to change that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My point is all the top centres, even the older ones, are almost impossible to trade for. Some, like you listed, have NTC, NMC and some are just not available because they are in their prime and teams don’t trade those players. The best centres are typically draft and developed. The Habs have Suzuki and Kotkaniemi now who have the potential to be that 1-2 punch down the middle for the Habs in a few years. That is the Habs best bet in becoming a contender.

I also don’t believe there is a Weber/Price window with them as the Habs best players. And I don’t believe Lafrenière is going to be the huge difference maker in year one to change that.

Won't be easy to find centers like that for sure. But I would be aggressive on the trade and UFA market if we get Lafreniere. No way I stay conservative. And we disagree on if there is a Price/Weber window left.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If habs land Lafreniere in the draft , and Buffalo offers Eichel for him. Do you do it???

I realise the outcry this would generate , not the best PR move for the habs, but they 100% have to consider it.

I would in a heartbeat but I don't buy the hype around 1st overall , im sure he'll be good , but Jonathan Huberdeau type of good.

Yes, but I wouldnt be mad if Bergevin doesnt do it.
I dont think Lafreniere will end up as good as Eichel, but he is 5 years younger, french canadian, and drafted by us (in this scenario) which is pretty cool.

Reactions: Kwikwi

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I can agree with trying to go for broke and getting a bona fida no. 1 center but I don't think either Getlaf nor Kopitar fit the bill. I'd 100% target Eichel, Barkov, PLD or someone else who's young and fit into the core of this team. Why ditch the ton of young assets it would take to land a no. 1 center for only a handful of productive years at best?

If you're going to go for a no. 1 center better go for an established younger one that can grow and form chemistry with another young star than for years to come.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I can agree with trying to go for broke and getting a bona fida no. 1 center but I don't think either Getlaf nor Kopitar fit the bill. I'd 100% target Eichel, Barkov, PLD or someone else who's young and fit into the core of this team. Why ditch the ton of young assets it would take to land a no. 1 center for only a handful of productive years at best?

If you're going to go for a no. 1 center better go for an established younger one that can grow and form chemistry with another young star than for years to come.

The Habs are not going to get an elite #1 centre unless they overpay by quite a bit. Nick Suzuki just lead all rookie centres in points this season as a 19 year old, even slowing down the last 9 games. Let him grow into that role over the next couple of seasons (with Danault still putting up big minutes against the top lines). If he continues to grow he’ll get there and could be elite. And if Kotkaniemi is able to do the same Montreal will be set up the middle for the next while.

Not sure why anyone believes the Habs can go from being a team that is 24th in the league, 3rd last in regulation wins, and hasn’t won a playoff series in 5 years to instant contenders with a couple of moves. Plus the Habs have to deal with at least 2 teams who will be one of the best in the NHL in their division for the next few seasons. It takes time to build a long term contender, it takes good drafting, development, and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad