Proposal: Trade proposal part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
I would love a deal that brings Brodin and Niedereitter her ! They would fix 2 big holes in our team and they are young so they can help us for a longtime

Which hole does Niedereitter would fill ?

Brodin is top-four in Minny. He is just behind Sutter on the LD depth chart.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I don't really think we need any forward goal scorers at this moment. We score lots as it is.

I focus only on left D. We are way to stacked on RHD with Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook and Fleury. I wonder if any of Julsen, Brook, Fleury can be good on the left.(Which is not optimal). If you can't put 2 out of those 3 names on the left in a satisfying results way in the next 2 years, we will have to deal atleast one out.

Petry will not be dealt this year if we join or battle till the last game for a playoff run. Probably neither next year until trade deadline as most coaches/gm don't like playing only young D with no experience all over the D corp(except Webz).

This coming summer if you can't do any UFA signing top pair LHD I'd be willing to sacrifice Fleury/Poehling/+picks(perhaps even the first one)/and warm body if needed ex. Byron(sadly) for a LHD that can eat *lots* of minutes and be Webz partner for a few years.

For those not wanting to deal Poehling we already have Domi/Koko/Danault(and if one fails insert Suzuki from wing to centre).

Last edited:
Reactions: Marca61

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think the thought is that while Weber was sidelined, Petry played like a top 2 D and that level isn’t sustainable for him. If he declines then his bLue will drop. To your point, if he continues or improves than his value will as well. Just erring on the side of caution that current version of Petry is maximum velocity Petry and a reversion to his mean is more likely. Add to that the Habs aren’t really contenders and he can likely get a 1st plus to add to our group of youngsters and it’s a better recipe for success for our future and you can see why trading a RD like Petry for the right price could be extremely amicable for the organization.

Further, unless we’re way out of the playoffs by trade deadline, I think it’s more likely he’ll get traded at the draft. If we’re still in contention, which at this point is highly likely, he’ll most likely not be traded unless it’s a stupid deal and he’s replaced with a younger top 2-4 LD option to play without weber.
Amen to that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't really think we need any forward goal scorers at this moment. We score lots as it is.

I focus only on left D. We are way to stacked on RHD with Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brook and Fleury. I wonder if any of Julsen, Brook, Fleury can be good on the left.(Which is not optimal). If you can't put 2 out of those 3 names on the left in a satisfying results way in the next 2 years, we will have to deal atleast one out.

Petry will not be dealt this year if we join or battle till the last game for a playoff run. Probably neither next year until trade deadline as most coaches/gm don't like playing only young D with no experience all over the D corp(except Webz).

This coming summer if you can't do any UFA signing top pair LHD I'd be willing to sacrifice Fleury/Poehling/+picks(perhaps even the first one)/and warm body if needed ex. Byron(sadly) for a LHD that can eat *lots* of minutes and be Webz partner for a few years.

For those not wanting to deal Poehling we already have Domi/Koko/Danault(and if one fails insert Suzuki from wing to centre).
Were not in a position to deal futures... Also which LD would be available for this package? None.

The only way to get a LD is either take in a young one that is not established or draft one.

Reactions: yianik and jaffy27

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Were not in a position to deal futures... Also which LD would be available for this package? None.

The only way to get a LD is either take in a young one that is not established or draft one.

Poehling would be behind Domi/Koko/Danault and perhaps Suzuki if all fails. Expendable.

Fleury on RHD would be behind Webz/Petry/Juulsen/Brooks. Expandable.

For finding a trading partner that is a good point. I haven't researched if any team would be in a position to offer a top6 depth 2-3 LHD.

If we go your way and get a 19 years old, we might not have a Webz partner for atleast 4 years...

So for LHD either UFA
Or a package next year of any of those people:
Petry/Fleury/Poehling/picks(any of them)Byron.
It is my opinion you do not have to share it. I just dont want to wait 4 years of development for a Webz partner.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Leddy is having a terrible season for the Isles. He is way better than that.

Reactions: Vachon23

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Why is there a fixation that Petry value is high and only getting lower. That's just false if anything is value will increase as the salary cap will continue to rise and more teams would be interested when his terms are shorter.

Petry value at its highest now, having taken center stage over two seasons. MON can afford to make Petry extremely attractive because he has two seasons beyond this one on his current 5.5M contract and MON is in no way in a Cap crunch situation over that span of time.

If Bergevin holds back 2.75M of Petry's contract (the maximum he is allowed to hold), it allows a Cash-strapped contender three playoffs with a #3 RD that can solidify their D for a long playoff push. Just how valuable is that to a team like TOR that cannot keep Gardiner, for example (Hainsey, I won't even mention because he is 100 years old, anyhow), and must find too for Matthews, Marner and Kapanen starting next year. Apart from Kapananen, maybe, these are not bridge contract candidates and their long term contracts will likely be superior to Nylander's contract in both value and term.

Two years after this one, Sandin, for example, will already have begun to make his mark on the team and trading Petry at the deadline will be an option as TOR will likely not be able to afford his full price.

At least, TOR will have gotten three years of a tangible upgrade at D for a LHD in Gardiner (that they weren't going to be able to re-sign under their Cap anyhow as an UFA) and some draft picks.

Next year, in theory, Petry's value is still pretty good, but things get more complicated for the type of return that MON can get, especially if it is shooting for a Sandin instead of a looming UFA. At the point, the expansion draft will be on the horizon and teams will be hard bent on passing along young players that will need to be protected rather than players like Sandin that are exempt from the process.

Mind you, with Gardiner on the team, MON will likely protect Weber, Gardiner and Juulsen. Mete will be left unprotected, undoubtedly, from the players of any worth on D. Given that, in this scenario, I would trade Mete as well next season, at the latest, as part of a package for an upgrade at wing, perhaps.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Having a good player locked into a multi year deal adds value. So by waiting until there are less years on his contract his value lowers.

There's also the risk that he drops back to his career average of 27 points instead of the 45 point pace he's started putting up from last year till now.

I'm in favour of dealing Petry but I don't think there's any need to rush it. Getting a great return is more important then the timeframe of trading him.

Agreed, but the time frame may well impact how great the return is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Poehling would be behind Domi/Koko/Danault and perhaps Suzuki if all fails. Expendable.

Fleury on RHD would be behind Webz/Petry/Juulsen/Brooks. Expandable.

For finding a trading partner that is a good point. I haven't researched if any team would be in a position to offer a top6 depth 2-3 LHD.

If we go your way and get a 19 years old, we might not have a Webz partner for atleast 4 years...

So for LHD either UFA
Or a package next year of any of those people:
Petry/Fleury/Poehling/picks(any of them)Byron.
It is my opinion you do not have to share it. I just dont want to wait 4 years of development for a Webz partner.
Why do you know Poeling would be behind Danault ? What if he's better than Danault down the line ? What if he's a 2nd line C ? Poehling actually has way better offensive skills than Danault. He has a shot at being a top 6 C.

How do you know Brook pans out ? How do you know we keep Petry for the rest of his contract ?

We wont be contending for another 2-3 years from now on, and rarely do players take four years or more to develop. Players hit their stride at 20-21 usually.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Petry value at its highest now, having taken center stage over two seasons. MON can afford to make Petry extremely attractive because he has two seasons beyond this one on his current 5.5M contract and MON is in no way in a Cap crunch situation over that span of time.

If Bergevin holds back 2.75M of Petry's contract (the maximum he is allowed to hold), it allows a Cash-strapped contender three playoffs with a #3 RD that can solidify their D for a long playoff push. Just how valuable is that to a team like TOR that cannot keep Gardiner, for example (Hainsey, I won't even mention because he is 100 years old, anyhow), and must find too for Matthews, Marner and Kapanen starting next year. Apart from Kapananen, maybe, these are not bridge contract candidates and their long term contracts will likely be superior to Nylander's contract in both value and term.

Two years after this one, Sandin, for example, will already have begun to make his mark on the team and trading Petry at the deadline will be an option as TOR will likely not be able to afford his full price.

At least, TOR will have gotten three years of a tangible upgrade at D for a LHD in Gardiner (that they weren't going to be able to re-sign under their Cap anyhow as an UFA) and some draft picks.

Next year, in theory, Petry's value is still pretty good, but things get more complicated for the type of return that MON can get, especially if it is shooting for a Sandin instead of a looming UFA. At the point, the expansion draft will be on the horizon and teams will be hard bent on passing along young players that will need to be protected rather than players like Sandin that are exempt from the process.

Mind you, with Gardiner on the team, MON will likely protect Weber, Gardiner and Juulsen. Mete will be left unprotected, undoubtedly, from the players of any worth on D. Given that, in this scenario, I would trade Mete as well next season, at the latest, as part of a package for an upgrade at wing, perhaps.
I don't want Gardiner, he sucks. He's worse than Petry and Petry's pretty bad himself.

Gardiner is a bandaid move.

Reactions: vokiel

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Why do you know Poeling would be behind Danault ? What if he's better than Danault down the line ? What if he's a 2nd line C ? Poehling actually has way better offensive skills than Danault. He has a shot at being a top 6 C.

How do you know Brook pans out ? How do you know we keep Petry for the rest of his contract ?

We wont be contending for another 2-3 years from now on, and rarely do players take four years or more to develop. Players hit their stride at 20-21 usually.

Getting on a flight in the next minute to Brazil. We'll get to debate in the near future. You have a goodnight!

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
Did it make sense to trade a 35 goals scorer, and the captain of the team for a 5'10 prospect and a 5'10 winger who didn't play in six months because he was bad ?
"5'10"?? Ha ha ha ha. Not even if they are measured with skates on. Try 5'6, or 5'7, at the most. TWO SQUIRTS!

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
Suzuki is a grade A prospect and Tatar had alote of 20 goals season ...
And, they will get KILLED in the playoffs, when teams start to play for real. The squirts will be the first to succumb. Just wait, and see. However, if Montreal ends up winning the Stanley Cup, then I will retract this statement. Anything less, and ...SLAM....CRUNCH...WHACK...DESTROY gnomes.

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
And, they will get KILLED in the NHL playoffs, when teams start to play for real, and there are REAL MEN playing. The squirts will be the first to succumb. Just wait, and see. However, if Montreal ends up winning the Stanley Cup, then I will retract this statement. Anything less, and ...SLAM....CRUNCH...WHACK...DESTROY gnomes.

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
While I somewhat agree with you - that it's important to have the right balance.

Today's rules actually favor smaller/shiftier players. It's actually difficult for bigger guys to defend smaller guys who can get inside because they can't put their hands on them without being called for interference.
Until they get a nice solid, "brain-shaker" hit. Then they are dead.

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018

I suggested that they should have one of the RD's play LD, and vice versa, and I was lambasted, and accused of not knowing much about hockey, after playing, and watching for more that 50 years....and I continue to play, as well(a lot of time RD, and I am a LHS..lol...such nonsense that you can't play the opposite side, of the direction in which you shoot) I have witnessed 12 Stanley Cups. Will I get to see more?...roll eyes at current management, and roll eyes at he...er...the thing that did the lambasting.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Petry needs to leave next year. One of Brook or Fleury will be ready to fill in. Were not winning anything this year.

Ergo, thats a trade that needs to happen.

Meh, I'm not sold.

For a can't refuse offer that addresses core needs towards building a contender, sure... Aho & a 2nd definitely wouldn't fit the bill.

Juulsen & Brook/Fleury are exciting prospects to build with, but much rather see Weber-Petry in place until 1 of the 3 is clearly ready to be an impact top-4 Dman, which is 2-3 years away at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad