Proposal: Trade proposal part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wild are clearly looking for pry away trade offers for Brodin and Coyle. Not sure if Danault fits for Brodin but I doubt Bergevin trades Danault. Time to move on from the Wild. They want a slam dunk return for players who are who they are at this stage and soon to be UFA.

Their cost to acquire starting point is way to high. No need to start negotiations when they keep talking Suzuki.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wild are clearly looking for pry away trade offers for Brodin and Coyle. Not sure if Danault fits for Brodin but I doubt Bergevin trades Danault. Time to move on from the Wild. They want a slam dunk return for players who are who they are at this stage and soon to be UFA.

Their cost to acquire starting point is way to high. No need to start negotiations when they keep talking Suzuki.
Let's just say if Charlie Coyle (who i'm a fan of) and Jonas Brodin played like they did last night, on a more regular basis.

We wouldn't be hearing their names in rumors.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Figured most won't. Not sure I would either. Tatar provides more offense and has one more year in term left vs Coyle.

What about Tatar and Mete for Coyle and Brodin? If the Wild are interested this type of package, I'd consider adding a 3rd if they feel it's not enough on our end. Best I could do at that point though. Lets look at how Coyle and Brodin fit

Drouin / Domi / Coyle
Lehkonen / Kotkaniemi / Gallagher
Byron / Danault / Armia or Shaw

Kulak / Weber
Brodin / Petry

Minnesota doesn't accept that.... They had a thread on the main board today asking for Suzuki and our 1st for Brodin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's just say if Charlie Coyle (who i'm a fan of) and Jonas Brodin played like they did last night, on a more regular basis.

We wouldn't be hearing their names in rumors.

Very true. I came to the conclusion that they want pry-away trade return value or there is no trade. Seems bizarre to be wanting to trade young players like that. I doubt they are serious about trading them. I'm also doubtful that any team is offering Suzuki value

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lmao if that's their asking price they're going to be waiting all alone on the dance floor at the end of the night when everybody else has already found partners.

Confidence demoralizer waiting to get a partner to dance with for sure. It's clearly a pry-away trade value attempt. Not going to fly with most of our Habs fan base. Suzuki for any player that could be available and on 2 or 3 year in contract term is not a smart move by the Habs or any other team. Maybe they find a sucker.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I would hate to trade Tatar cause he's become a fan favorite (Hey Max....Tataaaaaaar!). But we seriously need to ask ourselves if he is part of our cup contending future roster?

Not that he couldn't be, but I think he's more valuable to us as a trade chip than as a roster fixture... With lekhLekh, Byron, Drouin, Gallagher in place, and Suzuki, Ylonen, Ikonen, Evans in the system, we've got depth in the smallish top-9 winger area... While Tatar is the most skilled after Drouin, his impact is replaceable internally over next 2-3 seasons.

Leveraging him to upgrade on D, or add first round pick caliber prospects is advisable imo.

Jul 6, 2016
A guy like Coyle won't make a huge difference right now. And the price to pay would be possibly too stiff. I certainly don't want Habs to give away one of their top prospects.

Reactions: habsfan891

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Confidence demoralizer waiting to get a partner to dance with for sure. It's clearly a pry-away trade value attempt. Not going to fly with most of our Habs fan base. Suzuki for any player that could be available and on 2 or 3 year in contract term is not a smart move by the Habs or any other team. Maybe they find a sucker.
I'd hope no teams are that dumb but you just never know with some of the GM's today

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not that he couldn't be, but I think he's more valuable to us as a trade chip than as a roster fixture... With lekhLekh, Byron, Drouin, Gallagher in place, and Suzuki, Ylonen, Ikonen, Evans in the system, we've got depth in the smallish top-9 winger area... While Tatar is the most skilled after Drouin, his impact is replaceable internally over next 2-3 seasons.

Leveraging him to upgrade on D, or add first round pick caliber prospects is advisable imo.

Tell Bergevin this. He needs to realize it.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A guy like Coyle won't make a huge difference right now. And the price to pay would be possibly too stiff. I certainly don't want Habs to give away one of their top prospects.

It's worth while staying close in touch. Let the Wild gauge trade value and stay respectful. They might circle back and engage in our potential offer if they want to unload the player. You just never know and a smart GM stays in the mix till the end.

My only concern with Coyle is term. I do think the Habs have too many smurfs in the top 9 and someway, somehow, we need to address this. If we are able to extend Coyle, he could be a valuable RW piece that can play center if you need him to. I'd consider using Ylonen, Ikonen, Evans, Lindgren, Mete type prospects. And maybe a 2nd (Maybe)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’m gonna say that the center position seems to have been filled for the most part. Between Domi, Koko, Danault, Poehling and Suzuki I think we’re good for 2 top 2 guys there. LD is definitely an issue but I don’t think it’s terribly difficult to fill via trade or free agency.

That being said, the one main piece I think were missing from being a legit contender is a game breaking superstar who can pop in a timely goal when necessary and is always a threat on the ice. One player who is likely available and can fit that role is Panarin. He should be the top priority for us to try and acquire. He’s a rare winger who drives play and doesn’t need a center to set him up and s just entering his prime at a time when we have a shit ton of cap space to pay the man. He’s already very familiar with Bergevin and vice versa so I’d be surprised if we didn’t at least kick the tires on him.

I’m making Panarin the black horse surprise acquisition the Habs make before the trade deadline. And yes, it will cost us a lot which a superstar like him is worth.

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
If I have this deal on the table I accepted it right now
And, I would think even a DUMMY like Bergevin, or any DUMMY would. However, that deal is NOT on the table, and if it was suggested to the Wild via call, they would quickly terminate the communication.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed , need to get a little bigger,

Against the west they get killed

Sometimes bigger is not the right word. I would say stronger. But lets not kid ourselves, we do need big boys who can skate and has some offensive ability. A Tkachuk type would be perfect. Or a Stone type.

The smurfs need help. Shaw can only help Drouin and Domi so much and it depends on who we are playing. Armia will help Kotkaniemi when he is healthy.

A scout would be fooled to think a guy like Mete is a better fit in the NHL vs a guy like Broberg.

Lets look at Suzuki vs Poehling. A lot of people are drooling over Suzuki's OHL production and ignore the 200' game Poehling has as well as the size/strength/skill/skating he brings to the table. Not saying I don't like Suzuki but NHL teams target big boys with skill that can skate. That's is not changing contrary to the believe. It's guys like Alzner and McCarron who are in trouble cause they can't skate well and they lack offensive ability and vision

Yes, The game is getting faster but you still need to be a well balanced team. Caps are full of big players who can skate and has skill.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Id rather keep Tatar and dangle Byron but I think management already made his choice there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Id rather keep Tatar and dangle Byron but I think management already made his choice there.

Yeah, their choice is to do nothing major and focus on depth moves with the hopes they turn out like Byron and Petry. By the time our youth is ready to make an NHL impact, guys like Tatar and Petry will need new contracts.

Critical path we are on. I hope our GM is willing to take a very hard look at who is part of the future potential cup contending core and sells assets high to accelerate the rebuild and youth focus in our roster.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm willing to use these pieces in trades depending on who we can get and how they factor in our future core.. Mete, Hudon, Tatar, Byron, Petry, Evans, Lindgren, Ikonen, Fleury, 2nd round picks and higher, Shaw, Schlemko, Benn.

Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Juulsen, Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Primeau: Pretty much untouchables. That's 9 pieces we can build around. Not sure about Romanov at this stage. I do like what I see but I would not be calling him untouchable yet. We do need him on the LD side though. Ylonen is another. We need to see what they can do in the next 1-2 years.

Danault, Lehkonen, Reilly, Armia: I'd like to keep them (especially Lehkonen) but if we are able to get another piece that fits our needs, I'm willing to listen.

Price and Weber: Keep them. Great leaders to mentor the young core while also still producing for at least 4 more years.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, their choice is to do nothing major and focus on depth moves with the hopes they turn out like Byron and Petry. By the time our youth is ready to make an NHL impact, guys like Tatar and Petry will need new contracts.

Critical path we are on. I hope our GM is willing to take a very hard look at who is part of the future potential cup contending core and sells assets high to accelerate the rebuild and youth focus in our roster.
Tatar, Shaw, Petry are good sell high candidate. Lindgren, too imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad