Proposal: Trade proposal part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think the heart and sole of our fan base agrees with this direction and strategy. If only Molson/Bergevin would come to party on our bandwagon. Please, lets accelerate our rebuild or youth movement now vs later.
So in a little less than 24 hours you switched from the "add Muzzin and Coyle" side to lets sell out everyone ? :laugh:

Welcome aboard the Titanic, were going on a great voyage.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So in a little less than 24 hours you switched from the "add Muzzin and Coyle" side to lets sell out everyone ? :laugh:

Welcome aboard the Titanic, were going on a great voyage.

It's a measure of two things and I'm willing to make several moves

1) I'm ok with using certain assets to get in on Brodin, Coyle, and Muzzin. The intent here is what we should do to avoid being middle of the pack and closer to top 10. But I'm dangling Mete and not Suzuki. Understand?

2) Sell assets like Petry, Byron, Tatar. Why? Cause we should rebuild.

#2 is my #1 plan. But #1 is also OK with me cause I realize I"m not the GM and Bergevin is. What do I want to avoid? Middle 10 in the NHL standings. I want to be either top 10 or bottom 10. Take your pick, we are close to either side

Reactions: cphabs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Id rather keep Tatar and dangle Byron but I think management already made his choice there.

i think Tatar gets a bigger return, and Byron brings more to the club on the intangible/versatility front, so personally i'd keep Byron... but either way, moving one of them does make a lot of sense imo.

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
Let's just say if Charlie Coyle (who i'm a fan of) and Jonas Brodin played like they did last night, on a more regular basis.

We wouldn't be hearing their names in rumors.
Exactly. What dummy GM would be trading good players. Maybe a dummy like the guy in Edmonton, or the former guy on Long Island, or Bergevin. NO one else.

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
Very true. I came to the conclusion that they want pry-away trade return value or there is no trade. Seems bizarre to be wanting to trade young players like that. I doubt they are serious about trading them. I'm also doubtful that any team is offering Suzuki value
It could be a threat, from management, to get them to play better.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a measure of two things and I'm willing to make several moves

1) I'm ok with using certain assets to get in on Brodin, Coyle, and Muzzin. The intent here is what we should do to avoid being middle of the pack and closer to top 10. But I'm dangling Mete and not Suzuki. Understand?

2) Sell assets like Petry, Byron, Tatar. Why? Cause we should rebuild.

#2 is my #1 plan. But #1 is also OK with me cause I realize I"m not the GM and Bergevin is. What do I want to avoid? Middle 10 in the NHL standings. I want to be either top 10 or bottom 10. Take your pick, we are close to either side
The problem with number one is that its just not a realistic approach. First of, if it even ever happened, (cant think of a single team that became contenders by trade rather than by developping, Vegas I guess, but that was a flash in the pan.) Its just not xost effective at all. Its like buying a million dollars to become a millionaire. Youll pay out the nose to maybe end up in the top 10 of the league, which is a bizarre and vague cutoff btw, nobody would say the 10th team is a real contender, most years. The moves where you use assets to land guys like Coyle and brodin should be made either if you already are a top team or if theyre incredibly cheap. Say like Domi or Byron. Spending assets for a player that will, ultimately not help you win in the next 3 to 4 years, should always be a no.

Theres also the fact that by acquiring guys past their RFA or who are in the later years of RFA, your losing control and money just by acquiring them. Its a move, that at face value might seem good, but the trickle down effect can be terrible for the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem with number one is that its just not a realistic approach. First of, if it even ever happened, (cant think of a single team that became contenders by trade rather than by developping, Vegas I guess, but that was a flash in the pan.) Its just not xost effective at all. Its like buying a million dollars to become a millionaire. Youll pay out the nose to maybe end up in the top 10 of the league, which is a bizarre and vague cutoff btw, nobody would say the 10th team is a real contender, most years. The moves where you use assets to land guys like Coyle and brodin should be made either if you already are a top team or if theyre incredibly cheap. Say like Domi or Byron. Spending assets for a player that will, ultimately not help you win in the next 3 to 4 years, should always be a no.

Theres also the fact that by acquiring guys past their RFA or who are in the later years of RFA, your losing control and money just by acquiring them. Its a move, that at face value might seem good, but the trickle down effect can be terrible for the team.

I agree to some degree. I just have two plans. One with Bergevin as our GM and trying to build up what we already have but not mortgaging the future too much and another plan which is what I would do If I was GM.

I won't be the GM so reality is we try and improve what we have. Unless we get a new President and GM who have a different strategy and are willing to get a hair cut so we can be better in 2 or 3 years.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
There is absolutely no reason for the habs do not be Shipping Jeff Petry and Thomas Tatar right now.

There is so many teams in the league looking for a top 6 winger and even more teams looking for a dman that can play top4 even top2.

Jeff Petry value should be insane right now , not trading him for his value right now would be freaking dumb. Habs might be good at the time his contract end . So why lose him for nothing when we could easily get a 1st pick and a prospect.

Also trade Benn >:(

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
Are there any worthwhile young Québécois talents around? Would be nice to get another Danault or something.
Vilardi. Comtois. Flyers have a tall, robust one(I don't recall his name). The jackets have one(I don't recall his name either). There are more, which perhaps some of the great posters here can add. Those are ghosts of Christmas past, and present. But, the best of all is the ghost of Christmas yet to come......LAFRENIERE ! !

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
There is absolutely no reason for the habs do not be Shipping Jeff Petry and Thomas Tatar right now.

There is so many teams in the league looking for a top 6 winger and even more teams looking for a dman that can play top4 even top2.

Jeff Petry value should be insane right now , not trading him for his value right now would be freaking dumb. Habs might be good at the time his contract end . So why lose him for nothing when we could easily get a 1st pick and a prospect.

Also trade Benn :mad:
And, Schlemko. And, Mete. And, Petry..ONLY if the return is fantastic. A suggestion....try to gauge what team will be lousy NEXT year, and attempt to get their number one pick, so Les Canadiens increase their chances of getting LAFRENIERE, who would absolutely look SMASHING in a jersey of Les Canadiens de Montreal, don't you think?

Last edited:

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
I'm willing to use these pieces in trades depending on who we can get and how they factor in our future core.. Mete, Hudon, Tatar, Byron, Petry, Evans, Lindgren, Ikonen, Fleury, 2nd round picks and higher, Shaw, Schlemko, Benn.

Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Juulsen, Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Primeau: Pretty much untouchables. That's 9 pieces we can build around. Not sure about Romanov at this stage. I do like what I see but I would not be calling him untouchable yet. We do need him on the LD side though. Ylonen is another. We need to see what they can do in the next 1-2 years.

Danault, Lehkonen, Reilly, Armia: I'd like to keep them (especially Lehkonen) but if we are able to get another piece that fits our needs, I'm willing to listen.

Price and Weber: Keep them. Great leaders to mentor the young core while also still producing for at least 4 more years.
Agreed on most. But, Price has to go. It's time ! ! Therefore, I would delete Lindgren's name from your first list. I would also delete Fleury. A "gorilla" once said, "you can never have too many defencemen". He then sh*t himself, and flung it at reporters. Your second list should include Romanov. He will be in the NHL, and is a GREAT replacement for Sergachev, and a BIG HITTER.

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
I think the heart and sole of our fan base agrees with this direction and strategy. If only Molson/Bergevin would come to party on our bandwagon. Please, lets accelerate our rebuild or youth movement now vs later.
Agreed. But, they must get good returns. In other words the other teams must be FLEECED. Think Vegas deal for Pacioretty, Galchenyuk deal with Arizona, and the BIG ONE....Weber deal. We are still all laughing about that one...er....at least I am.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Danault is an NHLer and as long as the local player isn't going to wrongly play over any other player, I think it's only right to try to acquire local players. It should be a lesser priority.

Desharnais had no business playing over Eller and Galchenyuk and he had no business getting all the Ozone starts, leaving Pleks to fend for himself defensively. That shouldn't be and isn't the model to run any team.

Danault has no business to be playing over kotkaniemi.

5 goals in like 60 matches
Makes tatar and gallagher more invisible.
50.8% faceoff win , Kotka at 47.5% i believe
Kotka is 18 year olds
Danault played 17:40min overall this season while kotka sits 4min behind him.

time to let danault on a 3rd line once for all.

Reactions: cphabs

40 STANLEYCUPS NOT24

Nov 28, 2018
Oh-oh, we are definitely getting Coyle!

http://www.tsn.ca/1.1225070.1544626525
HABS DON'T APPEAR INTERESTED IN WILD F COYLE #TSN
Ha ha ha ha. Isn't every player, always rumoured to be coming to Montreal? Especially the potentially good players. Remember Lecavalier. More recently, Tavares. There are many more examples. It's just people spouting stuff, for the most part to keep the conversation, and the clicks going, so that everybody continues being paid. Just not us.

Reactions: Bacchus1

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Seems like St.Louis are gonna start a dumpster fire. How about Bouwmeester for cheap to help on the left side? Wouldn't cost us a good prospect nor a high pick.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Danault has no business to be playing over kotkaniemi.

5 goals in like 60 matches
Makes tatar and gallagher more invisible.
50.8% faceoff win , Kotka at 47.5% i believe
Kotka is 18 year olds
Danault played 17:40min overall this season while kotka sits 4min behind him.

time to let danault on a 3rd line once for all.
KK ice time has nothing to do with danault, . KK is rightly being brought slowly, dont forget, he had an ACL injury and never played a season as long, they are doing the right thnig for the time being

Reactions: greyboy67

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Seems like St.Louis are gonna start a dumpster fire. How about Bouwmeester for cheap to help on the left side? Wouldn't cost us a good prospect nor a high pick.

That’s strange, I was under the impression that Robert Thomas was going to lead them to multiple Cups :laugh:

Reactions: ForrestHabsGump

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
I know most people would be opposed to it due to age, but how would Duncan Keith fit next to Weber? Chicago is going down hill and I feel like the price wouldn't be too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad