Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't agree. I think when Dumba is playing well, he plays well regardless of who his partner is. When he plays badly, he's a bit of a Trainwreck. I do think we have to step back from last game, though, and not make too big of a deal out of it. It was his first game coming back, and in retospect it might've been better to keep him out and bring him back after the break so the rest of the team can join him in playing badly.
LOL :biglaugh:
Agreed that his lack of defensive game is overblown here but #2 was more his bad puck decision behind the net... Sequence started with his TO

Sure, the turnover there wasn't great but a lot of things happened on that play that allowed the goal. Haula missing the centering pass is another. A trio of mistakes.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
If we don't move our first, would anyone be opposed to trying to trade down at the draft to snag Mittelstadt? I feel like his draft stock is going to drop if he fails to tear it up in the USHL after the high school season. Would be a high risk/reward move as it's for sure a homer move, but the kid has the ability to take over a game and has showed he can do it at every level he's played at so far.

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
What are your top 3 players who would you want to intensify in the deadline. Only those who really barter. Example: Jagr, Hanzal, Vrbata

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If we don't move our first, would anyone be opposed to trying to trade down at the draft to snag Mittelstadt? I feel like his draft stock is going to drop if he fails to tear it up in the USHL after the high school season. Would be a high risk/reward move as it's for sure a homer move, but the kid has the ability to take over a game and has showed he can do it at every level he's played at so far.

Love, love, love Mittelstadt. My eldest used to practice with him a bit... Seems to be a good kid. Trade our first and a Scandella for a 5-10 OA? Yes! Don't know if it's realistic or not. CM has the potential to be the best player in the draft. He's got the size, speed, vision, and skill.

Do you know much about Reedy, Poehling, and Mismash? I've seen a lot of Mismash, but not recently. Seen Reedy a couple of times...again not recently. I liked Mismash's game better than Bellow's, but I didn't see Bellows in junior and the USNDP when his stats blew up.

Wild might be better off picking the best Dman available, however.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
What are your top 3 players who would you want to intensify in the deadline. Only those who really barter. Example: Jagr, Hanzal, Vrbata

Hanzal, Jagr, Boyle and maybe a depth D as a bonus, veteran preferably. Leopold was awesome for us some time ago.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I honestly dont think the prices are worth it.

We just need Parise, Staal, and Coyle to pick up their play and our blueline to go back to stable pairings and defensive coverage.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I don't think that the prices are going to be as high as we think, the speculation is always that teams want a big haul back. Then a team gives up barely anything and we all complain about GMCF not pulling the trigger.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Prices for a veteran are usually pretty high. Only have to look back as far as last season. Andrew Ladd cost a good prospect and a 1st, Eric Staal cost 2 2nds and a B prospect, Roman Polak cost 2 2nds. A slightly weaker player like Jiri Hudler cost 2 picks, Kris Russell cost 2 decent prospects and a pick. Sometimes there were other pieces too, but I think these are the essential components of the deal.

Last season the Leafs offloaded a bunch of players for relatively little as cap dumps, but I don't think we're seeing that this season.

The Wild can't take a cap dump (salary for next season). And if I were negotiating with Fletch I certainly wouldn't be talking about Dylan Labbe when discussing prospects (does Kunin for an exhausted Jagr sound good?). So, we're not really motivated buyers. Every playoff team would like to add Hanzal or Boyle, and most would like Shattenkirk, but beyond them it's not a great market, so the prices definitely should be high. PLUS Boyle's team is still in the hunt (possibly even getting Stamkos back in the next couple of weeks) as is Shattenkirk's.

Much ado about nothing, but I did like Fletch mentioning Pominville's name as someone he wouldn't want to have to trade (sure).

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Trading anything for Jagr sounds bad. The novelty would be all that it brought to the team. But a top 9 forward is looking more and more necessary to keep the 4th line from being complete dog****.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Goal #1: Dumba has Toews tied up and the puck hits them both for a tap in.
Goal #2: Scandella leaves the middle of the ice to go after the guy Dumba is chasing.
Goal #3: Dumba isn't even on the ice.
Goal#4: Parise/Olofsson are not fast enough to pick up Toews.
Goal #5: Somehow it's Dumba's fault Toews can hit the open net dead center from his defensive zone.

Shocking how numbers take things out of context. Only one that was on Dumba was #1.

LOL. Trying to put the 2nd goal on Scandella because Dumba can't make a simple pass behind the net is beyond hilarious(a play he screws up constantly). Scandella was headed towards the behind the net other corner when Dumba serves the puck up to Toews on a silver platter. Haula is covering for Scandella, and misses the pass. Could Scandella have stayed in front of the net and stopped it, sure. But he was the closest to being able to challange Toews and Haula was there covering (unsuccesfully).

Order of blame on that sequance gotes
#1 Dumba
#2 Haula for not stopping the pass
#3 Scandella for making a reasonable decision on a broken play that bit them in the ass.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Fletcher is sincere in not wanting to trade Pominville. It is unlikely that anyone we get in return is going to produce as much in the near term. Poms is ingrained in the team, can play up and down the lineup, PP, PK, and seems to be low maintenance.

Going forward, however, moving Poms for an expiring contract would be huge for this team. We would gain a protection spot, allowing us to keep Zucker, who is a bargain piece on the all important Koivu line, AND we would gain 5.6M in cap space for the next two years.

It's unlikely to happen, but it certainly presents a dilemma for Fletcher. Lose some talent from the team for the now, in order to retain talent for the team in the future.

I sure hope Fletcher has had talks about him waiving for the ED. Losing Zucker would be a killer.

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
I think Fletcher is sincere in not wanting to trade Pominville. It is unlikely that anyone we get in return is going to produce as much in the near term. Poms is ingrained in the team, can play up and down the lineup, PP, PK, and seems to be low maintenance.

Going forward, however, moving Poms for an expiring contract would be huge for this team. We would gain a protection spot, allowing us to keep Zucker, who is a bargain piece on the all important Koivu line, AND we would gain 5.6M in cap space for the next two years.

It's unlikely to happen, but it certainly presents a dilemma for Fletcher. Lose some talent from the team for the now, in order to retain talent for the team in the future.

I sure hope Fletcher has had talks about him waiving for the ED. Losing Zucker would be a killer.

Wideman or an absolute no?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

There are just so many ways this could play out.

I'm wondering if Fletcher's caprelief plan isn't trading Pominville once his bonus is paid. His underlying numbers were still very good during his 1.5 year slump, and now that his percentages have rebounded he's showing he's still very productive.

A team like Carolina who's probably ready to try compete next year, has all the cap space in the world. but are a budget team. They can take on 12 million in cap hit over two seasons, that's only 7.5 million in actual salary past July 1st. And they could use that scoring depth. It would be a good move for them, and likely wouldn't have to give up much of anything.

Thing with that, is I don't think Fletcher is the type of guy that's going to ask Pominville to waive for the good of the team, to turn around and trade him 2 weeks later. So do you bite the bullet on losing Scandella/Dumba/Haula/Staal (probably Dumba or Staal) and than trade Pominville. Give Vegas something to take Scandella than trade Pominville?

So many different options

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Love, love, love Mittelstadt. My eldest used to practice with him a bit... Seems to be a good kid. Trade our first and a Scandella for a 5-10 OA? Yes! Don't know if it's realistic or not. CM has the potential to be the best player in the draft. He's got the size, speed, vision, and skill.

Do you know much about Reedy, Poehling, and Mismash? I've seen a lot of Mismash, but not recently. Seen Reedy a couple of times...again not recently. I liked Mismash's game better than Bellow's, but I didn't see Bellows in junior and the USNDP when his stats blew up.

Wild might be better off picking the best Dman available, however.

I would absolutely trade assets to get a shot at Mittelstadt. I've heard great things about him too, and it seems like he could be a solid NHLer. I've also heard he could move up or down in the draft, based on what teams are looking for, with this being a "weak" draft class. Still, I say it's worth it to go with the homer move. That said, I doubt we do that (even if it means losing Scandella [or whoever] for nothing).

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the time to dump Pominville passed two summers ago. Back then, there were signs of his decline, but he was still a top-6 RW (with an actual RHS) and one season removed from 30 goals.

At this point, we've kind of have taken the ride down the hill, reset expectations, taken him out of the top-6, and instructed him to focus on being stronger on the puck and eliminating defensive mistakes (which he actually has under BB).

As probably the biggest critic of his on these boards, I would love to see the team get rid of his contract and move on, but I have to acknowledge that probably isn't going to happen. The Wild are going to lose a Dman, not a winger (even if Zucker). There are no RWs knocking on the door to take him off the team this year or probably next. So he'll be around for 1 more season.

However, two summers from now we have to get rid of his contract away way we can. Which probably will end up being a buyout of his last year.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think the time to dump Pominville passed two summers ago. Back then, there were signs of his decline, but he was still a top-6 RW (with an actual RHS) and one season removed from 30 goals.

At this point, we've kind of have taken the ride down the hill, reset expectations, taken him out of the top-6, and instructed him to focus on being stronger on the puck and eliminating defensive mistakes (which he actually has under BB).

As probably the biggest critic of his on these boards, I would love to see the team get rid of his contract and move on, but I have to acknowledge that probably isn't going to happen. The Wild are going to lose a Dman, not a winger (even if Zucker). There are no RWs knocking on the door to take him off the team this year or probably next. So he'll be around for 1 more season.

However, two summers from now we have to get rid of his contract away way we can. Which probably will end up being a buyout of his last year.

I honestly don't think after the season he's having the Wild would have much trouble trading him.

His underlying numbers. Shot rates, possession, etc have been relatively good if not great basically his entire time here. The only thing that's declined was his shooting % which took a slight dip two years ago, and a gigantic crater year. Now that those are back towards normal range, he is again putting points up at a very good rate.

Team's need scoring. A team without cap problems could take on his hit easily, and even better if he's not being paid the full amount because we just paid his bonus. Pominville's 15th in the league in P/60 right now. Heck, he's 26th in the league in just raw 5v5 points. He's got the same amount of points 5v5 as Granlund and Nino.

His PP time has dropped, and his overall minutes have dropped. But he's been incredibly productive when on the ice. Carolina, NJ, Toronto, Buffao, Nashville, etc. There are a good amount of teams that could use him as they try to compete next year.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think the "shooting % will rebound" argument is not strong. Pominville is taking more and more low-percentage shots from the boards that drive down his shooting %. A lot of the time, I don't even think he is trying to score. He is hoping for a bad rebound or a stoppage so the Wild can get a line-change and an Ozone faceoff. Or, sometimes, he's just tired and doesn't even bother to look across the ice at the other players driving the net. This is his new norm.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think the "shooting % will rebound" argument is not strong. Pominville is taking more and more low-percentage shots from the boards that drive down his shooting %. A lot of the time, I don't even think he is trying to score. He is hoping for a bad rebound or a stoppage so the Wild can get a line-change and an Ozone faceoff. Or, sometimes, he's just tired and doesn't even bother to look across the ice at the other players driving the net. This is his new norm.

His shooting % has rebounded to a normal range (i'm talking 5v5, his overall one is probably going to stick at around 8% because when he gets PP minutes he's playing the point still which doesn't suit him). He's at 8.11 % at 5v5, which while on the low end of his normal, is within range and something he's had over full seasons in his prime. His on-ice is also within normal of 8.7%.

Last year, he had career lows of 4.64% individual and 6.96% on-ice shooting percentage. While the rest of his numbers were static. They're still static, and those percentages rebounded to normal. And he's producing at 5v5 at a great rate now.

Basically, with normal percentages. You can expect him to be a 45-50 point player at this stage in his career. That's what he was 2 years ago. He got crap luck last year and was 10 below that. This year with normal luck, he's on pace for it again.

It's not worth quite the 6 million his caphit calls for, but a team with the space that only has to pay 3.75 million a year for it? There should be interest.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
As per Matt Sekeres Canucks talking with Wild and Anaheim about Hansen and/or Burrows
He says (tsn1040) the one with the most eagerness to get a deal done is Minnesota but may require Canucks to take a expansion draft player back (ie Scandella).

Canucks are asking for a young players who are expansion draft exempt.

Matt has been in the know on a few different things including trades and contracts. according to a canucks user.

Not sure if I see a winger as a need and I hate burrows, But Hansen might be nice.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He was 8g/13a in 16 games earlier this season for Green Bay (USHL). I don't see him tanking in the league after the High School season ends. USHL is where I saw him earlier this year, the kid was amazing.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Matt sekeres tsn1040
Stating wild and ducks in on burrows and hansen

LOL must not have read my post right above yours. Anyways I don't think I'd ever want Burrows in a wild sweater as for Hansen he'd be a nice pickup just assuming his price would be quite high. So I am surprised that he is saying were the team with the eagerness to get a deal done, But I guess Fletcher isn't afraid to make a splash and maybe he's seen some recent poor play that he feels a need to add a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad