Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No trades needed at this time. Just need to work on those long term deals for Nino and Granlund right now.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Only move I have in mind is in the free agency. I think we should pursue Philip Larsen if we lose a defender to Vegas. His playstyle would fit really well in our team.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Only move I have in mind is in the free agency. I think we should pursue Philip Larsen if we lose a defender to Vegas. His playstyle would fit really well in our team.

I think they'll go after a d-man that plays a defensively sound. physical, hits people, type of game. That fits more with BB's previous teams.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

A big no from me. I don't see Larsen as an NHLer at all.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd be stunned if they go after a Dman in FA, unless they lose two Dmen this year. Hard to make a trade for anyone but a fourth line forward at this point. With Zucker playing the way he is, you don't want to limit his playing time by bringing another top niner.

The only way you make a trade now is if it's a no brainer. The success so far( and it could get better if Parise finds his game, which he is showing signs of) signals that they are a contender this year. Until something changes, you assume you are keeping everyone, and resign yourself to losing a good Dman in The draft.

Maybe pick up a vet with an expiring contract around the TDL for the playoff run, if we still look promising. A Hanzal type. I don't think Gabriel is a guy you are going to play much during the playoffs. Stew can handle the rough stuff on a short term basis, Scandella, Dumba, and Folin, too.

Said vet will be costly. Probably yet another second, and a prospect. Ouch, but you gotta do it, if the right guy is out there and you think you have a chance to win it all.

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'd be stunned if they go after a Dman in FA, unless they lose two Dmen this year. Hard to make a trade for anyone but a fourth line forward at this point. With Zucker playing the way he is, you don't want to limit his playing time by bringing another top niner.

The only way you make a trade now is if it's a no brainer. The success so far( and it could get better if Parise finds his game, which he is showing signs of) signals that they are a contender this year. Until something changes, you assume you are keeping everyone, and resign yourself to losing a good Dman in FA.

Maybe pick up a vet with an expiring contract around the TDL for the playoff run, if we still look promising. A Hanzal type. I don't think Gabriel is a guy you are going to play much during the playoffs. Stew can handle the rough stuff on a short term basis, Scandella, Dumba, and Folin, too.

Said vet will be costly. Probably yet another second, and a prospect. Ouch, but you gotta do it, if the right guy is out there and you think you have a chance to win it all.

Dwight King has to be near the top of that list. Zack Smith might be another. Matt Hendricks makes some sense too. Could also see Fletch looking at offensive pieces like Vrbata, Stafford, Versteeg. All depends on what kind of prices we see, but this is an "all-in" kind of season. The major difficulty is determining which teams are actually sellers.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
King, yes. Hendricks, no. He'd be a downgrade from what we have.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I think they'll go after a d-man that plays a defensively sound. physical, hits people, type of game. That fits more with BB's previous teams.

It's a matter of money though. I Stoner gets that joke of a contract, teams area always willing to overpay "big, punishing" defenders.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
All of our Dmen play sound defense, with the exception of Dumba. Even Prosser is OKAY, for a 6/7. Scandella and Folin are big and strong, Suter is strong, and Brodin is far stronger than when he was a skinny kid 4 years ago. Dumba won't be bullied, either. He's not huge, but he's tough and strong.

No need for more "beef" on the back end.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Dwight King has to be near the top of that list. Zack Smith might be another. Matt Hendricks makes some sense too. Could also see Fletch looking at offensive pieces like Vrbata, Stafford, Versteeg. All depends on what kind of prices we see, but this is an "all-in" kind of season. The major difficulty is determining which teams are actually sellers.

I would rather get a guy like Iginla depending on price and if Colorado will pay most of the salary

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don't see us offering up futures this year. We have Pulkinnen and Tuch as offensive call ups. Dalpe also has played well. Graovac looks like a middle 6 guy in the NHL lately, and probably will be stuck on the 4th line unless Haula is hurt longterm. We are pretty deep right now.

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
Yeah a good year to not trade draft picks for once. We are missing some already i think no need to lose more unless there is a long-term injury.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Ducks fan here wondering what's the status on Ryan Carter?

Prior to the season I read he was rehabilitating from an injury, but that he might get a new contract with Minnesota once he returns.

Any news since? If he is healthy enough to keep playing, I'd hate to see his NHL career end only because he was injured during free agent frenzy. At the very least, I'm hoping he gets to play in Iowa, to put himself back on the market for the next free agency.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Prior to the season I read he was rehabilitating from an injury, but that he might get a new contract with Minnesota once he returns.

Any news since? If he is healthy enough to keep playing, I'd hate to see his NHL career end only because he was injured during free agent frenzy. At the very least, I'm hoping he gets to play in Iowa, to put himself back on the market for the next free agency.

I honestly haven't seen any word on him. With how the bottom of our lineup has been playing, I don't think there's a lot of room for him anymore. Dalpe, Stewart, Graovac and Gabriel fill it out pretty nice, with the odd call-up of Pulkkinen and Bertschy. Before the year started they already seemed (to me at least) hesitant about bringing him back, even when healthy. I had quite forgot about Carter, to be honest, and I think the Wild brass has, too.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
He will be a good pick up for someone! I think he would be rejuvenated getting out of Colorado to a playoff team

Good god no. Iginla is done. He can't even skate anymore. Just drags down any line he is on into oblivion.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I think he hurt his shoulder just before the playoffs inn the year before his last, and was never quite right the last year that he played with us. I liked his game with us, but Graovac seems to be doing well in his place. Not as tough, but he's a big body and has some skills. He might be able to squeeze another year or more out of the NHL on a fourth line, but he might well have decided it's not worth it, and has started on his post hockey life.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I honestly haven't seen any word on him. With how the bottom of our lineup has been playing, I don't think there's a lot of room for him anymore. Dalpe, Stewart, Graovac and Gabriel fill it out pretty nice, with the odd call-up of Pulkkinen and Bertschy. Before the year started they already seemed (to me at least) hesitant about bringing him back, even when healthy. I had quite forgot about Carter, to be honest, and I think the Wild brass has, too.

All those guys are minor leaguers, for the most part. It would be nice to pick up a vet guy at the TDL who can contribute to a bottom six. Someone who will be a FA, and is playing for a team that is out of it.

Tuch is not someone we can count on to play tough, playoff minutes in the NHL, nor is Pulkinnen or Bertschy. Dalpe I feel a bit better about. If i'm going to call up a non physical player it would be Schroeder. At least he has the speed to get in on a forecheck, and back on a backcheck. He ,Graovac, and Stewart would be an OK mix of size, speed, grit, and a touch of offense.

Still think that another player is out there somewhere we could pick up.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
All those guys are minor leaguers, for the most part. It would be nice to pick up a vet guy at the TDL who can contribute to a bottom six. Someone who will be a FA, and is playing for a team that is out of it.

Tuch is not someone we can count on to play tough, playoff minutes in the NHL, nor is Pulkinnen or Bertschy. Dalpe I feel a bit better about. If i'm going to call up a non physical player it would be Schroeder. At least he has the speed to get in on a forecheck, and back on a backcheck. He ,Graovac, and Stewart would be an OK mix of size, speed, grit, and a touch of offense.

Still think that another player is out there somewhere we could pick up.

It's fair enough to be suspicious of how those guys will hold up come playoff time, they're largely untested. I think Gabriel would be fine, and probably as good as any vet we could get for that line, unless we're fine with paying another 3rd round pick or higher for a rental. As it stands, it looks like Stewart - Dalpe - Gabriel, which is fine for those games that we want a bruising 4th line. For the rest of the games, we've got Graovac. I'm sure that 4th line could be better, but I'm just wondering what the cost of making it better is.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's fair enough to be suspicious of how those guys will hold up come playoff time, they're largely untested. I think Gabriel would be fine, and probably as good as any vet we could get for that line, unless we're fine with paying another 3rd round pick or higher for a rental. As it stands, it looks like Stewart - Dalpe - Gabriel, which is fine for those games that we want a bruising 4th line. For the rest of the games, we've got Graovac. I'm sure that 4th line could be better, but I'm just wondering what the cost of making it better is.

Depends on the cost of acquiring a player.

A 3rd+b prospect, that might get Girgensons as 4th line depth.

Vrbata or Hanzel from AZ would cost more but might be a fit.

Jagr would cost a lot, but it's Jagr so he might play longer than Parise/Suter contracts :sarcasm:

Hard to make moves until after Jan 15th (imo). The Wild end a brutal stretch of games then. They'll know more of where they stack up against quality competition then. Injuries also will probably dictate a move of some sort.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Good god no. Iginla is done. He can't even skate anymore. Just drags down any line he is on into oblivion.

He's a positive corsi and positive relative corsi player this season. Fenwick is one event below even.

Watched Colorado-Winnipeg yesterday, thought he was one of their best. Not saying much maybe since they looked awful but hey. Iginla for a third round pick at the deadline makes sense to me today.

What Fletch does depends on so many factors, and bringing up Tuch for the playoffs might be the best course of action. This team is already pretty loaded with veteran experience and might need some youthful energy. If you can add a motivated player with playoff experience and nearly 1300 career points for a middle-round pick, I think you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese