Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Kessel is signed until he's 34 and he also relies on his legs more than Pominville. Not to mention he's already showed signs of fading the past two years.

That's great that he's signed until he's 34. His $6.8 million cap hit is completely manageable if he starts becoming a liability 4-5 years down the road.

The guy put up 37 goals and 43 assists in the 2013-2014 season. His "bad" year was last year when he 'only' put up 25 goals and 36 assists. I'm not close to giving up on him and his wheels.

He uses his speed as an advantage, but he has more skills than Pominville. If we can move Pominville, I see no issue in bringing in the 1st line RW that we've wanted.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That's great that he's signed until he's 34. His $6.8 million cap hit is completely manageable if he starts becoming a liability 4-5 years down the road.

The guy put up 37 goals and 43 assists in the 2013-2014 season. His "bad" year was last year when he 'only' put up 25 goals and 36 assists. I'm not close to giving up on him and his wheels.

He uses his speed as an advantage, but he has more skills than Pominville. If we can move Pominville, I see no issue in bringing in the 1st line RW that we've wanted.

Then we are right in the spot we are today with Pominiville's contract. Does it not bother you that he's on pace for 22g 27a 49pts over an 82 game span playing with Sidney Crosby?? His worst season since 2007-08. I don't want a winger signed long term at $6.8m who can't even score 30 with the best center in the game.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
A center that actually has top line caliber production? Not sure what's so odd about it...
He has shown that he can, just needs to work on consistency, like most young players. Also would help if he had a capable RW. Plus any forward on this team will have stunted production, that's gotta be taken into consideration

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's had a more than capable LW pretty much his entire time here, and the only "stunts" in his production are self imposed limitations.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Then we are right in the spot we are today with Pominiville's contract. Does it not bother you that he's on pace for 22g 27a 49pts over an 82 game span playing with Sidney Crosby?? His worst season since 2007-08. I don't want a winger signed long term at $6.8m who can't even score 30 with the best center in the game.

No, he's in a completely different system on a completely different team. I'd expect he needs time.

His numbers from 8 years ago are absolutely irrelevant.

I don't judge players off of a single season. Phil Kessel is 28 years old, he's not washed up because he's having trouble in his first year on a new team. I would gladly take the 30-35 goal scorer in his prime, especially if it means we're moving Pominville the other way. I guess a #1 RW is not a need.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No, he's in a completely different system on a completely different team. I'd expect he needs time.

His numbers from 8 years ago are absolutely irrelevant.

I don't judge players off of a single season. Phil Kessel is 28 years old, he's not washed up because he's having trouble in his first year on a new team. I would gladly take the 30-35 goal scorer in his prime, especially if it means we're moving Pominville the other way. I guess a #1 RW is not a need.

They sure are when he's on pace for his worst season since then.

Didn't want Kessel during the offseason. Sure as hell don't want him now.

He's putting up similar numbers to Coyle. Kessel is not the answer to our RW problem, which could be solved fairly easily if we could acquire a 3c (Graovac?). We'd slot Coyle-Nino-Fontaine-Porter down the right side and bench the useless Pominville. Maybe we get lucky and Pominville retires or asks for a trade.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
They sure are when he's on pace for his worst season since then.

Didn't want Kessel during the offseason. Sure as hell don't want him now.

He's putting up similar numbers to Coyle. Kessel is not the answer to our RW problem, which could be solved fairly easily if we could acquire a 3c (Graovac?). We'd slot Coyle-Nino-Fontaine-Porter down the right side and bench the useless Pominville. Maybe we get lucky and Pominville retires or asks for a trade.

And he put up 61 points the year before that, 80 points the year before that, 52 points in 48 games the year before that. He's an elite scorer. He's an upgrade over Nino. I'd absolutely take him in a deal for Nino + Pominville + 1st.

This team needs shooters, Kessel would be great. Would love to see him and Zucker racing around.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nino + Pominville + 1st

Doesn't really kill the depth... I'd have to think Pittsburgh would at least be somewhat interested in that deal.

After every series against the Hawks, it's always a "we don't have a Kane." Kessel is pretty much what Kane would be for this team.

Parise - Koivu - Kessel

Zucker - Granlund - Vanek

Haula - Coyle - Fontaine

Porter - Stoll - Carter
Asking price is Brodin/Dumba + Nino. Good luck with that.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Just go full boat!
Nino+Poms+1st for Kessel
Dumba for Drouin
Brodin+Tuch for Spooner+Eriksson+1st
Bos 1st+Olofsson for Hamonic

Parise-Koivu-Kessel
Drouin-Spooner-Eriksson
Vanek-Granlund-Coyle
Zucker/Haula/Carter/Stoll/Porter

Suter-Hamonic
Scandella-Spurgeon
Reilly/Prosser/Folin/Strachan

Before you guys roast me, I'm kidding....maybe

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Just go full boat!
Nino+Poms+1st for Kessel
Dumba for Drouin
Brodin+Tuch for Spooner+Eriksson+1st
Bos 1st+Olofsson for Hamonic

Parise-Koivu-Kessel
Drouin-Spooner-Eriksson
Vanek-Granlund-Coyle
Zucker/Haula/Carter/Stoll/Porter

Suter-Hamonic
Scandella-Spurgeon
Reilly/Prosser/Folin/Strachan

Before you guys roast me, I'm kidding....maybe

So in a few years our forward core that we will heavily dependent upon would consist of: Drouin, Spooner, Granlund, Coyle, Zucker. With just JEE in the pipeline. No 1st or 2nd in the 2016 draft to replenish the team with after giving away 2/3 of our top prospects, one of which is our only blue-chip d-man. The bottom pairing would cause us to pull our hair out and there'd be no end in sight for years. Pass.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So in a few years our forward core that we will heavily dependent upon would consist of: Drouin, Spooner, Granlund, Coyle, Zucker. With just JEE in the pipeline. No 1st or 2nd in the 2016 draft to replenish the team with after giving away 2/3 of our top prospects, one of which is our only blue-chip d-man. The bottom pairing would cause us to pull our hair out and there'd be no end in sight for years. Pass.

Aha I would hope so. The only deal I'm serious about is the Brodin/Spooner one.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Not gonna pretend like I know anything about his situation, but it never fails to amaze me when young kids get the RARE opportunity to play in the big leagues, and then act like babies and piss it all away.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Just going off rumors on the main board that Galchenyuk could be traded and the Wild need a high end C. Personally I don't want Galchenyuk at what he'd cost. The only deals I'd work with MTL would revolve around Pominville. I'd be ecstatic if the Wild were working on a Spooner deal.

I don't know how serious those rumours are and both teams need same things, top6 forward talent so can't see Montreal trading Gally for defenseman.

Without Gally they really don't have C future.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Get him while he's cheap! Haula for Drouin! Wooooo!

I can dream, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad