Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
What do people think we would have to give up other than Brodin for RNH?

Is Brodin, Pominville (1/2 salary retained), Graovac too much?

Wild get a great two-way center who I think would fit well in our system, and we also get to keep Granlund. The Oilers get a dependable, puck-moving, top-minute defensemen, a half-priced veteran wing who can play still 2nd or 3rd line, and a potential cheap and young #3 or #4 center.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

Wild get a great two-way center who I think would fit well in our system, and we also get to keep Granlund. The Oilers get a dependable, puck-moving, top-minute defensemen, a half-priced veteran wing who can play still 2nd or 3rd line, and a potential cheap and young #3 or #4 center.

if the preds gave up jones for johansen we could give up brodin for RNh straight up. the only area where jones beats brodin is on offense, and johansen beats RNH so it would be fair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild missed out on a big chance to get a superstar and to get over the hump.

Happy we haven't had to part with anyone. Zero interest in RNH. Nashville is going to be tough to beat.

Until one of their D goes down. We'll see.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Yes, it's too much.

just like Brodin is our #5.

Nope.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Wild need to move more to make it work cap-wise.

Depends when we do it. You get more capspace daily, so you can't just look at RNH has a hit of 6 million and brodin is just above 4 and we've got less than 2 million in space. As the season goes on you're get more cap space. I'm on my phone but I know Russo has talked about that and probably some others, if someone has a link to that.

Long-term I'm not sure about, i.e. losing other players due to being constrained.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Couture or RNH is going to be hard to fit under the cap.

Brodin has to be the starter, theres no other way around it looks like.

what do you add then to make the $$ work? Haula? Fontain? only 2 players who prob are actually worth something at this point, but even if we add one of them do we still fit under the cap? i think its really close.

That's the part of the problem. The only bad contracts we have are Backstrom, who is up this year, and Pominville. I don't want to send over Haula, Fontaine, or any of our fourth liners. They are all a great bang for the buck... Porter is a steal at 900K, even Prosser, for all my *****ing about him, is not hurting us at all cap wise.

If we're not going to do a deal for Johansen, I sure as hell don't want to send Brodin for RNH. There is a shortage of good top 4 Dmen, let alone young, cost controlled Dmen. RNH at 6M is OK, but nothing to get excited about.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild need to move more to make it work cap-wise.

send Backstrom. At this point we're only talking half a season... if EDM wants the deal, they'll do it. We would have almost 2M less in cap psace to work with next year, though.

Don't count me in on RNH, though, or at least not for Brodin.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I think those of you sulking around need to get the hell over it and realize that one RyJo isn't going to win the cup for Nashville. Sure, he will improve one spot of 12 in their forward pool but god dammit, we are 5th in the league in points percentage for a reason, have better goaltending and tons more forward depth.

Now, I would LOVE to get the C spot improved and become first and if that costs 2 firsts, a Dumba and someone who kinda sucks for Couture sure. Let's quit whining and think of packages for a better C option and not complain we didn't RyJo. (This could be the whiskey talking)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
RNH has a lot more years left in his prime than Couture.

Dumba+Pominville+Tuch to the Oilers for RNH.

Oilers then flip Yak for another young RD.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Exactly. Even though he was playing on the "third pairing".

Jones was not NSH #5, either. Even though he was playing on NSH "third pairing"

I was sort of referring to him as a #5 in the sense that their 1st and 2nd pairings are unchanged with his departure. He didn't play #5 minutes, but he wasn't in their "top 4".

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
They just showed a pair of plays on NBCSN where Johansen was on the ice playing lazily in OT, and both of them directly led to goals.

Who knows if it was just the situation where he hated being there or if that's how he'll be as a player going forward. Certainly would have been a risky move, but obviously the potential upside is high. Oh well.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I think those of you sulking around need to get the hell over it and realize that one RyJo isn't going to win the cup for Nashville. Sure, he will improve one spot of 12 in their forward pool but god dammit, we are 5th in the league in points percentage for a reason, have better goaltending and tons more forward depth.

Now, I would LOVE to get the C spot improved and become first and if that costs 2 firsts, a Dumba and someone who kinda sucks for Couture sure. Let's quit whining and think of packages for a better C option and not complain we didn't RyJo. (This could be the whiskey talking)

People see another possible #1C get traded into the division and they worry that we're going to be left behind. It happened with Dallas, a team that was behind us for a good long while, they got their #1C and they've been getting better and better and now they're running away with the Central. Certainly Seguin isn't the sole reason for their success, but he's definitely been a key part.

NSH is similar to us right now, great D, good goaltending, decent enough forwards. Now that they've got RyJo if they manage to get further in the playoffs than us or constantly be above us in the standings I'm not sure how some of the fanbase will react to seeing the Wild miss on another potential #1C, especially two that got traded within our division.

If RyJo was traded anywhere outside the division people wouldn't be "moping" about it, but because he's potentially making a very direct competitor of ours better in a position that we too are weak at, when we were rumored to be "in the hunt" then of course people are going to be upset about it.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
People see another possible #1C get traded into the division and they worry that we're going to be left behind. It happened with Dallas, a team that was behind us for a good long while, they got their #1C and they've been getting better and better and now they're running away with the Central. Certainly Seguin isn't the sole reason for their success, but he's definitely been a key part.

NSH is similar to us right now, great D, good goaltending, decent enough forwards. Now that they've got RyJo if they manage to get further in the playoffs than us or constantly be above us in the standings I'm not sure how some of the fanbase will react to seeing the Wild miss on another potential #1C, especially two that got traded within our division.

If RyJo was traded anywhere outside the division people wouldn't be "moping" about it, but because he's potentially making a very direct competitor of ours better in a position that we too are weak at, when we were rumored to be "in the hunt" then of course people are going to be upset about it.

Yeah, but if RyJo were to fall on his face here those same people would ***** and moan that it was a failed trade. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

The last time I checked the wild are ahead of the predators in the standings.

Wild

Predators

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The last time I checked the wild are ahead of the predators in the standings.

Wild

Predators

Yup. The Preds made a move because they felt they weren't competing with us, STL , and DAL. IF Johansen snaps out of his funk and plays well for NSH it will be a good deal in the short term for them. He has definitely shown more than Jones. CBJ is banking on Jones potential .

Risk for NSH is if Johansen turns out to have health or attitude problems. He might also demand a lot of $ come contract time.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali

Spot on.

If teams keep jumping over us (Dallas and now if Nashville does), it's on management. They won't go out and get the offensive firepower this team so badly needs to succeed. If we miss playoffs or go out in first round then MAJOR changes need to happen. I'm tired of mediocrity.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Spot on.

If teams keep jumping over us (Dallas and now if Nashville does), it's on management. They won't go out and get the offensive firepower this team so badly needs to succeed. If we miss playoffs or go out in first round then MAJOR changes need to happen. I'm tired of mediocrity.

They have been looking for a center for a while they probably still are. It was pretty obvious they probably were not going to beat out Nashville for Johansen. Also the wild 13th in the league in goals for. People act the wild are in the bottom half of the league for offense.

Billy Mays Here*

Fletcher has dug his own hole. Giving out bad contracts, trading away too many picks and prospects, and thinking his young core of players would be good enough to get this team over the hump, and of course thinking a top 2C duo of Koivu and Granlund was good enough to be a cup contender. This is a playoff team, at least most of the time, but not a cup winning team.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Wait what? If there is one thing I'll defend Fletcher on, that's all he's been doing since coming to Minnesota. Havlat, Kobasew, Setoguchi, Heatley, el Nino, Parise, Vanek, Pominville, Stewart, Moulsen...Fletcher has been desperately trying to get the offense this team needs.

The problem is (a) Minnesota has sucky scouts and (b) has terrible development.

We have one of the worst development programs in the NHL and one of the worst prospect systems right now. We can't afford to trade anyone in the top 4 because it ends up like this:

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Dumba
PROSSER

Prosser would become the 5th defenseman. Oh look, Spurgeon is injured and now Prosser is our 4th defenseman.

We literally have razor thin depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad