Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You dont trade Jake if you are afraid of mildly inconveniencing Sid.

It doesnt help that we haven’t had a competent front office since JR somehow su tumbled into a bunch of very good deals from 2014-2016.
Sid hasn't led us to the playoffs each of the last two seasons NOR has he led us to playoff success in each of the past SIX seasons. For all the good he does and playing every game he seems to fall short quite a lot.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I can't decide whether I think this organization is too stupid and arrogant for its own good, or they simply don't care anymore and are waiting for Sid to retire.

I'm not sure which is worse. :laugh:
I just don't get how FSG isn't furious about missing two years in a row of playoff revenue. Most cutthroat billionaires would be, but these assholes seem fine with Sullivan despite all of that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just don't get how FSG isn't furious about missing two years in a row of playoff revenue. Most cutthroat billionaires would be, but these assholes seem fine with Sullivan despite all of that.
They simply don't give a f***, I guess. They have enough accountants and financial advisors to know full well they were in for some bleak shit revenue-wise when they bought a team on the cusp of like a decade of no playoffs.

They're billionaires. They just wanted to buy the team to have a team. /shrug

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sid hasn't led us to the playoffs each of the last two seasons NOR has he led us to playoff success in each of the past SIX seasons. For all the good he does and playing every game he seems to fall short quite a lot.
I agree. But you seem to blame everything on Sid these days. You weirdly defend Dubas and were one of the last posters to realize Hextall was trash. Pixie is now the last of the Hextall fans.

Sid is at the very bottom of the problems though. Sullivan, front office and ownership all are far more problematic.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They simply don't give a f***, I guess. They have enough accountants and financial advisors to know full well they were in for some bleak shit revenue-wise when they bought a team on the cusp of like a decade of no playoffs.

They're billionaires. They just wanted to buy the team to have a team. /shrug
You'd think they'd be all the more desperate to not waste the last few years of being semi-competitive the team has, knowing that the tank is on the way.

Or maybe they've drank the Dubas koolaid and have accepted his vision of rebuilding without tanking for a long time.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You'd think they'd be all the more desperate to not waste the last few years of being semi-competitive the team has, knowing that the tank is on the way.

Or maybe they've drank the Dubas koolaid and have accepted his vision of rebuilding without tanking for a long time.
Again, I think it's simply a case of FSG being convinced Sullivan's a god because he's good in interviews and billionaires have shit for brains. And they just don't give a shit. :laugh:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Because the organization doesn't care would be my cynical answer. At some point, if they wanted to have a functional power play, they would have made it happen by hook or by crook.

This team is really a ship without a rudder, IMO.
If they didn't care, those two would have new contacts. They don't. They're not under contract.

Instead, those positions are in a sort of purgatory. Are they out? Are they in? What's going on?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Let's spin it out to a different topic: Why is Mike Sullivan still here? Serious answers only.
Because he won 2 Cups a really long time ago…and Sid, according to some media members, told staff that he didn’t want to play for another coach during his time with the Pens…but maybe he feels differently now…hopefully lol

Reactions: EliteGoaltending

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
That kypreos has little solid information and more importantly he's a "Toronto" guy. So he's still pissed at Dubas for the Leafs lack of success, so spins an article to basically say Sullivan is good, Dubas bad.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
If rumors are true, then that solves our Sully problem. Unless the incredible happens and FSG fires Dubas to keep Sully...lol :D.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I hope Sully bolts and we hire someone like BB. Or try out that coach in the AHL that is 1st on the PP every year @Jacob was talking about in I think it was the AHL thread?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I don't think Sullivan is wanting out. But I do think when Dubas redoes the roster to a degree, Sullivan will see the eventual move away from Sullivans smurf hockey. Plus his coaches will be gone and maybe he will want to make a change after next year.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
What doesn't he like? The getting younger part?
Sullivan wants more of these types of players on his roster this fall. Please leave and take Reiden with you.
1714279718879.png

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If they didn't care, those two would have new contacts. They don't. They're not under contract.

Instead, those positions are in a sort of purgatory. Are they out? Are they in? What's going on?
That's a very good question. But again, if the team was really that soured on them, I'd imagine they would have been proactively let go at any point during the season (they don't have any extensions in place yet). I'm not so sure we won't see them behind the bench again come September.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
That's a very good question. But again, if the team was really that soured on them, I'd imagine they would have been proactively let go at any point during the season (they don't have any extensions in place yet). I'm not so sure we won't see them behind the bench again come September.
One thing I learned in doing some research is that it is exceptionally rare for an assistant coach to be fired mid season unless the head coach is also fired mid season. I couldn't find many examples at all of only an assistant coach being fired midseason. It was always on tandem with the head coach.

I don't know why. But that is how the NHL seems to operate.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
One thing I learned in doing some research is that it is exceptionally rare for an assistant coach to be fired mid season unless the head coach is also fired mid season. I couldn't find many examples at all of only an assistant coach being fired midseason. It was always on tandem with the head coach.

I don't know why. But that is how the NHL seems to operate.
We'll see, DP, I guess only time will tell. I know you tend to look at the sunnier side of things, so sincerely I hope you're right and I'm not. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad