Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Not saying we should fire him but he is far from the perfect coach (with PP line problems) that you make him out to be.

Then why are you arguing with me? He'll get the criticism he deserves.

Really? You want to provide any proof to that statement cause all I remember is:
PGP
Zucker-Koivu-Stewart
Vanek-Coyle-Nino
Schroeder/Haula-Brodziak-Fontaine

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Leopold-Dumba

For a lineup post all star break to when Stewart and Fontaine injured themselves in the playoffs.

Because it's ridiculous to suggest firing him.

tl;dr the rest

Edit: Oh they're PP complaints. Let's go back to my original post.

Thanks for reaching an agreement.
It's like you didn't even read my posts prior. You warp it in your mind that my criticism suddenly means he should be fired which simply isn't true.

tl;dr huh? Then you proceed to read it lol and then cherry pick information. I clearly pointed out lack of lineup changes and have yet to be proven he did prior to those injuries like you said he did. Switching out 4th liners is pointless when your first three lines need a jump start.

Oh let's go back to your original post huh? What happened to the power play being the best in the playoffs!? I went through the pp in the playoffs and you revert back to that. Which is it cause you're switching opinions left and right. Quote:

Did I say Yeo wasn't deserving of any criticism???

Not true, Yeo had changed the lineups well before the series against Chicago.

And quit *****ing about the PP that was the leagues best during the playoffs lol. It's irrelevant.
You just disproved yourself.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
So lets just assume that we can bring in Yak, just lets play devils advocate here for a second.

Where would we slot in Yak? We'd have to move at least Vanek to make it work wouldn't we?

It would be fun to try maybe a

Yak Granlund Nino line with

Parise Coyle Pommer

Zucker Koivu X

but that makes the center position suspect.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
In this Yeo discussion we've discussed his lack of PP functionality but we're missing the other two big reasons as to why he isn't the coach we need.

1: Vet pass, there is no denying that he is soft on vets, he has yet to call a vet out who actually matters, like Koivu, Vanek, etc, a coach has to have the balls to get the guy on the hot seat.

2: His inability to adjust as fast, he was touted as a student of the game, someone who works hard to study and come up with game plans and yet watching him coach is like watching a bald Todd Richards, has the deer in the headlights look way to often and his language is always we have to learn, dude has been learning like TR was watching tape.

3: well not Yeo but our casters suck and give the pass way to often too, be nice if we had someone behind the mic who had a pair and some actual knowledge and credibility to call the team out once in a while instead of "they played hard, hur dur"

Granlund 64

Mar 17, 2012
Stillwater, MN
So lets just assume that we can bring in Yak, just lets play devils advocate here for a second.

Where would we slot in Yak? We'd have to move at least Vanek to make it work wouldn't we?

Parise Coyle Pommer

Zucker Koivu X

Yak is a right wing isn't he; likes to play on his off-hand side.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It's like you didn't even read my posts prior. You warp it in your mind that my criticism suddenly means he should be fired which simply isn't true.

tl;dr huh? Then you proceed to read it lol and then cherry pick information. I clearly pointed out lack of lineup changes and have yet to be proven he did prior to those injuries like you said he did. Switching out 4th liners is pointless when your first three lines need a jump start.

Oh let's go back to your original post huh? What happened to the power play being the best in the playoffs!? I went through the pp in the playoffs and you revert back to that. Which is it cause you're switching opinions left and right. Quote:

You just disproved yourself.

I've been criticizing him for his inabilities on the PP throughout the RS, you replied to my initial post that was saying that Yeo is not a major issue and should not be fired, so it's pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together, no? Every coach in the NHL has flaws and they make flaws every single game, you want to talk about cherry-picking you seem to be an expert at that.

Lack of lineup changes in the playoffs right? That's not true at all.

1st Game: Bergenheim IN; Fontaine IN

2nd Game: Bergenheim OUT; Schroeder IN; Cooke IN; Fontaine OUT

3rd Game: Bergenheim IN; Schroeder OUT; Fontaine IN; Cooke OUT

4th Game: NO CHANGES

5th Game: Bergenheim OUT; Cooke IN

6th Game: NO CHANGES

But yeah, he didn't make any changes whatsoever until Fontaine got hurt in the 6th game, right? :shakehead And before you ***** about these being bottom 6 changes, you want him scratching Vanek, Pominville, Koivu, etc.? Not happening.

I'm not going back and forth, you can't seem to get your mind straight on what the **** you're complaining about. The PP wasn't why we lost the series against Chicago. The team, as a whole, played like ****.

The PP during the regular season was abysmal and is something that needs work on.

Other than that, Yeo has been fine. And, unbeknownst to you, he does actually pay attention to his lines and changes who is in and out.

In this Yeo discussion we've discussed his lack of PP functionality but we're missing the other two big reasons as to why he isn't the coach we need.

1: Vet pass, there is no denying that he is soft on vets, he has yet to call a vet out who actually matters, like Koivu, Vanek, etc, a coach has to have the balls to get the guy on the hot seat.

2: His inability to adjust as fast, he was touted as a student of the game, someone who works hard to study and come up with game plans and yet watching him coach is like watching a bald Todd Richards, has the deer in the headlights look way to often and his language is always we have to learn, dude has been learning like TR was watching tape.

3: well not Yeo but our casters suck and give the pass way to often too, be nice if we had someone behind the mic who had a pair and some actual knowledge and credibility to call the team out once in a while instead of "they played hard, hur dur"

1. We aren't in the locker room. Russo has reported numerous times where he brings vets aside and has long conversations with them. I'm sure he's not congratulating them on a **** game. Also, he's not going to scratch these guys because they are our better players (Reminder, we're not talking about the PP).

2. He outcoached the Jack Adams winner last year and outcoached Hitchcock this year. He has been praised nationally for his work and was suggested by Paul Maurice to be a runner for the Jack Adams this year, so no, he isn't lacking in being able to adapt in-game.

3. Irrelevant.

I never do this but can we move the Yeo talk to the applicable thread?

Absolutely. Shouldn't have been mentioned in here to begin with. :shakehead

Last edited:

J22*

But would you do it this year when you can (likely) get pretty close to the same return after next year?

Also, Edmonton would be beyond foolish to trade Yakupov right now. Either he stays the same, and then the exact same deals will be there next summer; or they keep him and play him with one of RNH/McDavid all year and he significantly ups his value, or he performs at a high level and benefits their team for years to come.

I agree with you on Spurgeon. If there's a good value trade to be made, go for it. Otherwise keep him for 1 more year and move him this time next year.

Disagree with you on Yakupov. Yakupov still has some of that "he was a 1st overall pick" going for him but, if Edmonton decides to see how he does this year, and Yakupov puts up another 14G 33Point season, his value will be completely gone.

Parise Coyle Pommer

Zucker Koivu X

Try to imagine that line matching up with
Perry - Getzlaf - Maroon or
Saad - Toews - Hossa

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You really don't read my posts. Btw, I think A LOT of people thought Vanek should have been scratched. Lineup changes don't necessarily mean taking people out. Switching up lines can be considered "lineup changes" and is more what I was going for.

Absolutely. Shouldn't have been mentioned in here to begin with. :shakehead

Are you done yet?

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You really don't read my posts. Btw, I think A LOT of people thought Vanek should have been scratched. Lineup changes don't necessarily mean taking people out. Switching up lines can be considered "lineup changes" and is more what I was going for.

Are you done yet?

I'm sorry, weren't you the one that just said he was done talking about Yeo? Lol.

Also, if you want to talk about not reading posts, here ya go.

Spurgeon said:
And before you ***** about these being bottom 6 changes, you want him scratching Vanek, Pominville, Koivu, etc.? Not happening.

Bit hypocritical, eh?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm sorry, weren't you the one that just said he was done talking about Yeo? Lol.

Also, if you want to talk about not reading posts, here ya go.

Bit hypocritical, eh?

You quoted me so I responded.

Lol you mean the thing you said AFTER my post? Nice job bro, you got me. Love it, I'm complaining about lineup changes (top 9 specifically brought up earlier) and you point to the 4th line rotation of players. You win man, way to go.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You quoted me so I responded.

Lol you mean the thing you said AFTER my post? Nice job bro, you got me. Love it, I'm complaining about lineup changes (top 9 specifically brought up earlier) and you point to the 4th line rotation of players. You win man, way to go.

Thanks! :) I wouldn't have expected you to have caught that.

And you must not have watched any games because they'd often comment on lines being mixed up in-game. Also, lineup changes usually means you're changing players.

And you wanted the lines to be changed in the series we won? That's strange criticism.

But again, you said you were done with Yeo talk and this isn't the place for it, so whatever. Maybe you'll stick to your guns this time.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Thanks! :) I wouldn't have expected you to have caught that.

And you must not have watched any games because they'd often comment on lines being mixed up in-game. Also, lineup changes usually means you're changing players.

And you wanted the lines to be changed in the series we won? That's strange criticism.

But again, you said you were done with Yeo talk and this isn't the place for it, so whatever. Maybe you'll stick to your guns this time.

I love all your little disses you throw at me. Very entertaining and for the most part childish. Couldn't go one block of text without one. :handclap:

For the STL series I expect line changes when we are losing and not generating anything just like I expected it when we were getting our ass kicked by Chicago. Vanek was awful in the playoffs and shouldn't have been a mainstay in the top 9 of the lineup nor given #1PP time.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I love all your little disses you throw at me. Very entertaining and for the most part childish. Couldn't go one block of text without one. :handclap:

For the STL series I expect line changes when we are losing and not generating anything just like I expected it when we were getting our ass kicked by Chicago. Vanek was awful in the playoffs and shouldn't have been a mainstay in the top 9 of the lineup nor given #1PP time.

If those are offensive, sorry, but those are very mild things to be insulted by. I guess calling me childish and entertaining is fair play, not to mention all the patronizing.

And during the Chicago series, the lines were mixed up, they didn't do anything. The vets played like ****, the younger players played like ****, everybody played like ****. Vanek was on the 3rd line. He wasn't getting scratched. He's here for 2 more years at $6.5 million, that's not somebody you scratch. Look at his TOI too, he wasn't being rewarded.

And enough with the damn PP. :laugh:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If those are offensive, sorry, but those are very mild things to be insulted by. I guess calling me childish and entertaining is fair play, not to mention all the patronizing.

And during the Chicago series, the lines were mixed up, they didn't do anything. The vets played like ****, the younger players played like ****, everybody played like ****. Vanek was on the 3rd line. He wasn't getting scratched. He's here for 2 more years at $6.5 million, that's not somebody you scratch. Look at his TOI too, he wasn't being rewarded.

And enough with the damn PP. :laugh:

You've said this so many times and I've agreed but when you play like **** it's the job of the coach to get them going again. I'd honestly rather have had Haula play than Vanek because he did nothing offensively and was constantly turning the puck over leading to goals against. Haula had more goals than him with 8 fewer games. His salary is not a good reason to say he shouldn't be scratched. Remember Heatley had a $7.5m cap hit last year and he was trash and played on the fourth line. Maybe Vanek would have been better with Schroeder and Brodziak meanwhile letting the faster Fontaine move up to the third line to generate offense. All I know is he's lazy and that doesn't cut it in the playoffs.

Agreed, no more PP talk.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Yeah, not worth it. I'd include Brodin in on a trade for players like RNH, Johansen, etc.

Yikes...I'd never move Brodin for RNH. The only guys I'd move Brodin for are Johansen and Seguin.

Couture should be the guy we target honestly. Granny, our 1st and Folin seems to be a pretty fair deal for both sides.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Fletcher's comments aren't really surprising. He put a ton of value on alot of players on this team, and not alot of them lived up to their value this past season. I don't really expect Fletcher to shop anyone other than Cooke or Backstrom, and those probably end with a 5th round pick and a buyout(and subsequently giving Erik Condra a 3year contract for ~5M because history tells us that's what he does). Sure he'll listen on the rest, and inquire on players on other teams, but he's not going to start calling GMs saying he wants to dump Koivu/Pominville or someone else because you'd just be diminishing their value worse than their performance did. As far as untouchables, its really only Suter and Parise because of their contracts.

I don't want to make a move with this defense at this point. Injuries can happen. Regression from Dumba can happen, the rest sure but he's the most likely given his small sample size and easier minutes. Even with the raises, its still a cost-controlled group. Yes, a decision will have to be made at some point on the right side if the trio continue to progress, and if a deal can be made to improve this team it should be considered, but it will be creating a significant hole regardless of which one is moved. And while I was impressed with Christian Folin for a 1st year professional, he's a significant downgrade, and the position would no longer be a strength on this team.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Dumba+Coyle was one option for them.
Oh boy that's a lot of potential to be giving up for just one player.
Yikes...I'd never move Brodin for RNH. The only guys I'd move Brodin for are Johansen and Seguin.

Couture should be the guy we target honestly. Granny, our 1st and Folin seems to be a pretty fair deal for both sides.

I'd at least think about it.

Have you shown that proposal to SJ fans?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Fletcher's comments aren't really surprising. He put a ton of value on alot of players on this team, and not alot of them lived up to their value this past season. I don't really expect Fletcher to shop anyone other than Cooke or Backstrom, and those probably end with a 5th round pick and a buyout(and subsequently giving Erik Condra a 3year contract for ~5M because history tells us that's what he does). Sure he'll listen on the rest, and inquire on players on other teams, but he's not going to start calling GMs saying he wants to dump Koivu/Pominville or someone else because you'd just be diminishing their value worse than their performance did. As far as untouchables, its really only Suter and Parise because of their contracts.

What kind of modified NTC does Cooke have because that needs to be taken into consideration.

Also untouchables go: Suter, Parise, Koivu and Vanek who all have NMCs.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You've said this so many times and I've agreed but when you play like **** it's the job of the coach to get them going again. I'd honestly rather have had Haula play than Vanek because he did nothing offensively and was constantly turning the puck over leading to goals against. Haula had more goals than him with 8 fewer games. His salary is not a good reason to say he shouldn't be scratched. Remember Heatley had a $7.5m cap hit last year and he was trash and played on the fourth line. Maybe Vanek would have been better with Schroeder and Brodziak meanwhile letting the faster Fontaine move up to the third line to generate offense. All I know is he's lazy and that doesn't cut it in the playoffs.

Agreed, no more PP talk.

I just feel like we could have had Babcock behind the bench and were still out in 4. We looked gassed and it just wasn't working out. As long as they keep making the playoffs and winning series, they're doing their jobs. Now they need to string some series wins together and to do that we need everybody playing top notch hockey.

Oh boy that's a lot of potential to be giving up for just one player.

I'd at least think about it.

Have you shown that proposal to SJ fans?

I think I did and I think they yelled at me. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad