Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Kunin's performance has been slept on. He played on a shutdown line for a good portion of the season and still put up a 20 goal pace. That's impressive for a player in their 21/22 year old season. I think there's a considerable gap between Kunin and Greenway/Donato personally. And losing him in the ED could easily end up similar to losing Tuch.
Most of it comes from being forced to play a position that he really can't, but Kunin's advanced numbers are bottom of the roster bad.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Kunin's performance has been slept on. He played on a shutdown line for a good portion of the season and still put up a 20 goal pace. That's impressive for a player in their 21/22 year old season. I think there's a considerable gap between Kunin and Greenway/Donato personally. And losing him in the ED could easily end up similar to losing Tuch.

I think the thing I like most about Kunin is his ability to not entirely disappear in the playoffs. He scored 6 goals in 11 games in the AHL playoffs last year, 2 goals in 4 games this year against Vancouver. He certainly has the drive and the right attitude to keep improving, and you can't really say the effort level isn't there.

He's never going to be a line driver, but he could be a quality second line RW. For this team with no young right wingers in the system outside of Fiala and Kunin, he's less expendable than at least a few other guys.

Now, if Kunin stagnates, and Greenway/Donato/whoever leapfrog past him next season, that could change. But right now, he's not a guy I give away lightly.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think it's unreasonable at all that Kunin could improve to the point of being one of the better forwards on this roster. That doesn't change the fact that he's just as, or more expendable than most on that list as well. "tradeable" would have probably been a smarter word to use rather than expendable though.

Like I said in my other post, right now, I'd still rather trade away Greenway or Donato, given we're deeper at left wing than right wing both on the roster and in the system. If we have to trade one of those three, he's my last choice. But yes, if other players come out better than him next year, that changes.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Like I said in my other post, right now, I'd still rather trade away Greenway or Donato, given we're deeper at left wing than right wing both on the roster and in the system. If we have to trade one of those three, he's my last choice. But yes, if other players come out better than him next year, that changes.
LH versus RH is only really critical on the PP. Kunin has proven he doesn't belong there, and Bjugstad will take his spot on the PP, and he can fill his role on the 3rd line as well if it came to that.

I'm in hurry to try and trade Kunin, but he's also not in the must stay category either.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think the thing I like most about Kunin is his ability to not entirely disappear in the playoffs. He scored 6 goals in 11 games in the AHL playoffs last year, 2 goals in 4 games this year against Vancouver. He certainly has the drive and the right attitude to keep improving, and you can't really say the effort level isn't there.

He's never going to be a line driver, but he could be a quality second line RW. For this team with no young right wingers in the system outside of Fiala and Kunin, he's less expendable than at least a few other guys.

Now, if Kunin stagnates, and Greenway/Donato/whoever leapfrog past him next season, that could change. But right now, he's not a guy I give away lightly.

The effort level is what makes me really high on the guy. He reminds me a lot of Parise, which is why I think they'd play well together on a line with Ek centering them. Not sure if that's plausible now with Staal's departure, but I believe it's a line that would've been offensively productive while still taking on the toughest assignments.

Regardless of where he's playing though, I don't see him stagnating. I don't know what it is, but have a lot of confidence in the consistency of his game. Which is a great attribute to have at a young age. I'd be very curious to see how he would perform on a line with Kaprizov (do we know if Kap is gonna be a RW or LW?).

I think Dumba has to go so that we're not put in a place where we could potentially lose Kunin, but the only player that's ever intrigued me in the discussions is Monahan. If BG can find a way to bring in Monahan, I'm a lot more hopeful for the direction this team could take offensively. I think we could be in a really good spot by the 21-22 season when guys like Boldy, Khovanov, Addison, and 9OA pick are all potentially entering the league.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The effort level is what makes me really high on the guy. He reminds me a lot of Parise, which is why I think they'd play well together on a line with Ek centering them. Not sure if that's plausible now with Staal's departure, but I believe it's a line that would've been offensively productive while still taking on the toughest assignments.

Regardless of where he's playing though, I don't see him stagnating. I don't know what it is, but have a lot of confidence in the consistency of his game. Which is a great attribute to have at a young age. I'd be very curious to see how he would perform on a line with Kaprizov (do we know if Kap is gonna be a RW or LW?).

I think Dumba has to go so that we're not put in a place where we could potentially lose Kunin, but the only player that's ever intrigued me in the discussions is Monahan. If BG can find a way to bring in Monahan, I'm a lot more hopeful for the direction this team could take offensively. I think we could be in a really good spot by the 21-22 season when guys like Boldy, Khovanov, Addison, and 9OA pick are all potentially entering the league.

I think it's assumed he plays LW with Fiala and Zuccarello as RW's, but I've maintained I'd like to see

Zuccarello-x-Fiala
Kaprizov-x-Kunin

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I think it's assumed he plays LW with Fiala and Zuccarello as RW's, but I've maintained I'd like to see

Zuccarello-x-Fiala
Kaprizov-x-Kunin

This is exactly what I had in mind. Could definitely see it being an effective top 6, regardless of the centers. Only issue becomes who is playing their off-hand on the 3rd line RW, which might be a position to potentially explore in a trade of Greenway/Donato. I suppose if Dumba ends up being traded for Boeser (not something I'm too keen about personally), it gives us some damn good winger combinations.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is exactly what I had in mind. Could definitely see it being an effective top 6, regardless of the centers. Only issue becomes who is playing their off-hand on the 3rd line RW, which might be a position to potentially explore in a trade of Greenway/Donato. I suppose if Dumba ends up being traded for Boeser (not something I'm too keen about personally), it gives us some damn good winger combinations.

Greenway has played RW in the past

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So the question is who's next out of here, I bet the players are kind of nervous.

Russo says Guerin is on the phone all day, and it's like the entire league is interested in his fire sale.
We'll see more changes, that's for sure.

Dumba leaving?
Greenway maybe, GM didn't like his performance last season.
Donato...poor kid doesn't get a chance here, but he's a nightmare in his own end.
GM also trying to trade Dubnyk, but who would want him?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So the question is who's next out of here, I bet the players are kind of nervous.

Russo says Guerin is on the phone all day, and it's like the entire league is interested in his fire sale.
We'll see more changes, that's for sure.

Dumba leaving?
Greenway maybe, GM didn't like his performance last season.
Donato...poor kid doesn't get a chance here, but he's a nightmare in his own end.
GM also trying to trade Dubnyk, but who would want him?
Now that the Islanders are out I hope he's having some very fruitful conversations with Lou about that Parise/Ladd swap. Try to get whatever you can out of that deal, but at the end of the day make sure Parise's an Islander.

At that point the rest of the offseason has nothing to do with expansion drafts or having too many wingers or whatever else. He can move (or not move) whatever he has to to bring in a center with a fair trade.

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Now that the Islanders are out I hope he's having some very fruitful conversations with Lou about that Parise/Ladd swap. Try to get whatever you can out of that deal, but at the end of the day make sure Parise's an Islander.

At that point the rest of the offseason has nothing to do with expansion drafts or having too many wingers or whatever else. He can move (or not move) whatever he has to to bring in a center with a fair trade.

True, forgot Parise. I know why they worked on this deal, but I also heard Ladd is useless. I guess he can sell hot dogs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dumba for Cirelli + Johnson
Parise for Leddy + Ladd
Donato + Rask to Ottawa/Detroit/New Jersey for whatever

Zuccarello* - Cirelli* - Fiala*
Johansson - Johnson* - Kaprizov (or Kaprizov - Johansson - Johnson)
Greenway* - Eriksson Ek* - Kunin*
Foligno - Bjugstad - Hartman
Ladd

Suter* - Spurgeon*
Brodin* - Soucy
Leddy - Pateryn
Hunt

Kahkonen*
Stalock (would have some cap room to upgrade if necessary)
Dubnyk buried or traded

*Expansion protected, probably lose Soucy, replaced by Menell. Maybe pay them a little something to take Leddy.

Works with Cirelli getting $5.5M, Greenway and Kunin getting $2.5M bridges, Fiala getting $7.5M and Kaprizov getting $5.5M next off season.

Year after, Addison replaces Pateryn. Boldy replaces Johansson.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Is anyone farmiliar with Ladd’s buyout? Would it be awful?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Is anyone farmiliar with Ladd’s buyout? Would it be awful?
Going by CapFriendly's numbers, it's not great.

Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (NYI)
2020-21$1,000,000$5,500,000$3,000,000$333,333$3,333,333$666,667$4,833,333
2021-22$1,000,000$5,500,000$3,000,000$333,333$3,333,333$666,667$4,833,333
2022-23$1,000,000$5,500,000$3,000,000$333,333$3,333,333$666,667$4,833,333
2023-24$0$0$0$333,333$333,333-$333,333$333,333
2024-25$0$0$0$333,333$333,333-$333,333$333,333
2025-26$0$0$0$333,333$333,333-$333,333$333,333
TOTAL$3,000,000$16,500,000$9,000,000$2,000,000$11,000,000$1,000,000$15,499,998
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts