Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Calgary needs an incentive beyond just Dumba. They need RWs as well. Kunin would likely have to be included. I am fine with including him, but maybe Wild ask for a D prospect coming back.
I can see them wanting Kunin, at least for the right shot and possibly the Tkachuk connection, but it'd require an addition on their part. I think Monahan's one of our best options in a Dumba trade but he's got warts of his own. For all the grief Dumba gets about his defense, Monahan doesn't have a reputation for being very engaged at that end either, and neither had their strongest years production-wise last season.

So if adding Kunin is what makes it worth it for them we should be getting something back that's about the same value as a cost-controlled, 22 year old RW.

Reactions: 2Pair

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can see them wanting Kunin, at least for the right shot and possibly the Tkachuk connection, but it'd require an addition on their part. I think Monahan's one of our best options in a Dumba trade but he's got warts of his own. For all the grief Dumba gets about his defense, Monahan doesn't have a reputation for being very engaged at that end either, and neither had their strongest years production-wise last season.

So if adding Kunin is what makes it worth it for them we should be getting something back that's about the same value as a cost-controlled, 22 year old RW.

The only piece I could see them sending back is Kylington, and no thank you. Mangiapane and Dube are off limits. Valimaki and Andersson are off limits. Maybe Pelletier, since they already are loaded on left shot left wings, but so are we.

I would be really shocked if we add much to Dumba to get Monahan.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Deal with Flames just fits.

Wild should be reasonable and include Kunin in the deal. But Wild should get back a D prospect. Don't know the Flames' farm well enough, but there has to be one guy to fit the bill.

Tampa could potentially offer more for Dumba but too many complications with that one.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Wild should be reasonable and include Kunin in the deal. But Wild should get back a D prospect. Don't know the Flames' farm well enough, but there has to be one guy to fit the bill.

Tampa could potentially offer more for Dumba but too many complications with that one.
Not sure what Tampa can offer that beats Monahan

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Adding Kunin isn't the difference between reasonable and unreasonable :laugh:

Calgary also doesn't have any D prospects that would be worth sending Kunin.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Are there 31 better centers in the league than Monahan?

McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Malkin
Crosby
Barkov
Tavares
Eichel
Point
Scheifele
Matthews
Aho
Kopitar
Couturier
Barzal
O'Reilly
Zibanejad
Toews
Bergeron
Backstrom
Seguin
Kuznetsov
Horvat
Pettersson
Dubois
Couture
Hischier
Hughes
Larkin
Duchene
Karlsson

That's 31 names. I'm not sure Monahan is worse than all of them. Some guys he's better than now but probably won't be going forward. Some guys are close. Karlsson I think is worse than Monahan, though not by much.

Reactions: TanSor and 2Pair

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Are there 31 better centers in the league than Monahan?
Bergeron
Eichel
Larkin
Barkov
Point
Stamkos
Matthews
Tavares
Aho
Dubois
Barzal
Zibanejad
Couturier
Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Toews
MacKinnon
Seguin
O'Reilly
Scheifele
McDavid
Draisaitl
Kopitar
Hertl
Pettersson
Horvat

I can get to 29 before you can start reasonably talking about Monahan.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Malkin
Crosby
Barkov
Tavares
Eichel
Point
Scheifele
Matthews
Aho
Kopitar
Couturier
Barzal
O'Reilly
Zibanejad
Toews
Bergeron
Backstrom
Seguin
Kuznetsov
Horvat
Pettersson
Dubois
Couture
Hischier
Hughes
Larkin
Duchene
Karlsson

That's 31 names. I'm not sure Monahan is worse than all of them. Some guys he's better than now but probably won't be going forward. Some guys are close. Karlsson I think is worse than Monahan, though not by much.
Yeah seems like he’s likely to be a fringe 1C for the most of his career, more likely a high-end 2C.

Reactions: TanSor

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You can contend with Monahan as your best center, but you're going to need another one as good as he is.
I agree. Vegas certainly has. Monahan-xxx-Ek is certainly a center group you can come tend with, it’s just a matter of finding that xxx as well.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Make a trade with Calgary and pick up this kid, Emilio Pettersen (20). He's going to become a top center. Had 35 points in 36 games for the Univ. of Denver last season, teammates call him Gretzky. Many believe he's NHL ready. Signed entry-level with Flames a few months ago. And he's Norwegian, Zucc would be thrilled.

Mathias Emilio Pettersen at eliteprospects.com

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I agree. Vegas certainly has. Monahan-xxx-Ek is certainly a center group you can come tend with, it’s just a matter of finding that xxx as well.
My plan would be to get Monahan, and then try to trade up from 9 w/ extra 1st next year to draft Rossi. If you cannot trade up that high, then draft Lundell.

Monahan
JEE
Rossi/Lundell
Sturm

You can contend with that group if Fiala/Kap/Boldy bring enough offense, the blueline holds up, and team gets a good goalie.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My plan would be to get Monahan, and then try to trade up from 9 w/ extra 1st next year to draft Rossi. If you cannot trade up that high, then draft Lundell.

Monahan
JEE
Rossi/Lundell
Sturm

You can contend with that group if Fiala/Kap/Boldy bring enough offense, the blueline holds up, and team gets a good goalie.
That'd be my tentative plan as well, though I'm more content to stand pat at 9. Not entirely sure I don't prefer Lundell to Rossi and I've still got one foot in the "Boldy is a center" camp, but those are different discussions.

Reactions: fgobuzz

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That'd be my tentative plan as well, though I'm more content to stand pat at 9. Not entirely sure I don't prefer Lundell to Rossi and I've still got one foot in the "Boldy is a center" camp, but those are different discussions.

Well if we get Monahan and Lundell, Boldy doesn't need to be a center. And I don't think they draft a winger solely based on the thinking that Boldy could be a center.

Honestly if Holtz, Raymond, Drysdale are still there at 9, I do still take them and hope for Boldy at center, but who knows what Brackett does. His BPA could be Jarvis or Mercer at 9, even over Holtz. Who knows.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well that's just not true. Kunin very well could be our third best forward next season.
That's going to take quite a bit of improvement because he's currently the 3rd best forward on the 3rd line.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well if we get Monahan and Lundell, Boldy doesn't need to be a center. And I don't think they draft a winger solely based on the thinking that Boldy could be a center.

Honestly if Holtz, Raymond, Drysdale are still there at 9, I do still take them and hope for Boldy at center, but who knows what Brackett does. His BPA could be Jarvis or Mercer at 9, even over Holtz. Who knows.
The Boldy thing is more if they take someone like Rossi, a straight-up winger like Holtz or a defenseman. As you point out, the BPA could be almost any kind of player.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's going to take quite a bit of improvement because he's currently the 3rd best forward on the 3rd line.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have these tiers:

Fiala
Kaprizov (assumed, but still not a given)
Kunin/Zuccarello/Eriksson Ek/Johansson/Greenway/Donato

Kunin was 5th on the team in both points and points per game (excluding Zucker and Galchenyuk). Staal is gone now, so put him at fourth among the guys still here.

But considering that entire third tier above are guys who are being relied upon to either improve or rebound, it's not unreasonable to think Kunin could be the third best. He paced for 20 goals and 40 points this season. Improvement could see him hit 20-25 goals and 50 points, especially if he gets an expanded role.

Kunin could realistically be anywhere from the second best to the eighth or ninth best. He's not devoid of ability. He was a 15th pick for a reason, and he's put up some pretty good numbers along the way.

Reactions: Spurgeon and 2Pair

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Fiala

Kunin was 5th on the team in both points and points per game (excluding Zucker and Galchenyuk). Staal is gone now, so put him at fourth among the guys still here.

But considering that entire third tier above are guys who are being relied upon to either improve or rebound, it's not unreasonable to think Kunin could be the third best. He paced for 20 goals and 40 points this season. Improvement could see him hit 20-25 goals and 50 points, especially if he gets an expanded role.

Kunin could realistically be anywhere from the second best to the eighth or ninth best.

I think Kunin's performance has been slept on. He played on a shutdown line for a good portion of the season and still put up a 20 goal pace. That's impressive for a player in their 21/22 year old season. I think there's a considerable gap between Kunin and Greenway/Donato personally. And losing him in the ED could easily end up similar to losing Tuch.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Fiala

Kunin could realistically be anywhere from the second best to the eighth or ninth best.
I don't think it's unreasonable at all that Kunin could improve to the point of being one of the better forwards on this roster. That doesn't change the fact that he's just as, or more expendable than most on that list as well. "tradeable" would have probably been a smarter word to use rather than expendable though.

Reactions: AKL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad