Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Johnson isn't really old. He just turned 30 a few days ago and isn't really being paid a significant amount. I think at minimum, he replaces Staal as a 2C at an affordable price.

It could get really tight really fast in 21-22, and he could be a 3rd unmovable contract. I think Staal is a better fit with Zuccarello personally, but I do think retirement is likely after next season for him. I just don't think we can win with Johnson + Staal, and if its someone + Johnson, that someone is probably going to be costing more than Johnson, and that is where things get tight. With Nylander for instance, I could see us ~76M needing a goalie and 3 skaters for 21-22, with 5 sub-1M players already(Kahkonen/Sturm/Menell in the 2nd year of 2-year deals signed this off-season + Addison/Boldy).

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Only way I sign up for Johnson is if TBL takes salary back, but that's the catch...TBL is trading Johnson because they want to dump salary. Johnson is going into his 30's, is tiny, and is paid too much for what he brings. Haven't we learned our lesson? He is not a top 6 C. Let's stick with Sturm, and not throw around cap money like drunken sailors so we can re-sign young guys like Fiala and Kaprizov when we need to. It would really suck to have to let them go because we have Zuccarello and Johnson on the roster. We already know that we have Parise to pay.

I mean, he scored two more points than JEE this year in 3 more games. We really want to pay 5.5M for that?

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Only way I sign up for Johnson is if TBL takes salary back, but that's the catch...TBL is trading Johnson because they want to dump salary. Johnson is going into his 30's, is tiny, and is paid too much for what he brings. Haven't we learned our lesson? He is not a top 6 C. Let's stick with Sturm, and not throw around cap money like drunken sailors so we can re-sign young guys like Fiala and Kaprizov when we need to. It would really suck to have to let them go because we have Zuccarello and Johnson on the roster. We already know that we have Parise to pay.

I mean, he scored two more points than JEE this year in 3 more games. We really want to pay 5.5M for that?
1. His cap hit is $5M not $5.5M
2. The Wild are already counting on Sturm and Ek and still need to find another center
3. How did Johnson's numbers compare to Ek last year? How about the year before.
4. Johnson at $5M for 4 more years is not something that you trade a bunch of assets for. But if you can get him for free because of cap troubles, that is something that needs to be considered. I would take Johnson for free long before I traded one of Dumba/Brodin for Max Domi.

Reactions: Bazeek and Spurgeon

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
1. His cap hit is $5M not $5.5M
2. The Wild are already counting on Sturm and Ek and still need to find another center
3. How did Johnson's numbers compare to Ek last year? How about the year before.
4. Johnson at $5M for 4 more years is not something that you trade a bunch of assets for. But if you can get him for free because of cap troubles, that is something that needs to be considered. I would take Johnson for free long before I traded one of Dumba/Brodin for Max Domi.

Your #3 on that list might actually be proving his point. His game trended downward. The fact is the guy is 30 and had a hugely down year. A bounce-back is possible, but not likely at that age. He's getting 2.5 fewer minutes per game than he was two seasons ago because he and Cirelli have flipped roles. How much would he produce getting those 2.5 minutes back? Probably more than he did this year, but that amount will be decreasing every year as he is just entering the twilight of his career. If he's costing us nothing to acquire beyond his salary and roster spot it's somewhat interesting, but it also doesn't solve our top 6 center issue for very long and, depending on how close we get to the cap, could lock us out of future moves for a better solution to the problem. Of course, with all those arguments against it, it must be noted that we don't have a 2nd line center for next year on our roster, so we need to make a move, regardless, and Johnson would at least still probably be a 2nd line center for next year.

I'm not really for or against taking on Johnson. There is clearly risk in both adding Johnson and not adding Johnson, and there is some definite but limited upside to the move as well. I wouldn't hate it, and I wouldn't love it. It's right in the middle, perfectly Minnesotan. As I consider that, that might actually be the biggest reason not to get him.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Your #3 on that list might actually be proving his point. His game trended downward. The fact is the guy is 30 and had a hugely down year. A bounce-back is possible, but not likely at that age. He's getting 2.5 fewer minutes per game than he was two seasons ago because he and Cirelli have flipped roles. How much would he produce getting those 2.5 minutes back? Probably more than he did this year, but that amount will be decreasing every year as he is just entering the twilight of his career. If he's costing us nothing to acquire beyond his salary and roster spot it's somewhat interesting, but it also doesn't solve our top 6 center issue for very long and, depending on how close we get to the cap, could lock us out of future moves for a better solution to the problem. Of course, with all those arguments against it, it must be noted that we don't have a 2nd line center for next year on our roster, so we need to make a move, regardless, and Johnson would at least still probably be a 2nd line center for next year.

I'm not really for or against taking on Johnson. There is clearly risk in both adding Johnson and not adding Johnson, and there is some definite but limited upside to the move as well. I wouldn't hate it, and I wouldn't love it. It's right in the middle, perfectly Minnesotan. As I consider that, that might actually be the biggest reason not to get him.
Not Getting Trochek looks like a big swing and miss but who knows what they wanted for him.

Tampa needs players on cheap contracts that can play now so to get Johnson they probably want Menell / Belpedio ( they need D ) and Sturm or something along those lines plus a pick or 2
They have 75 million on the books with only 10 F's, 3D with Sergachev and Cernak deals up and 2 goalies they need to shed cap space ( Kilorn ia another player they'd like to trade )

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Offer sheet Barzal at 10 million/year.

We have Pens pick next year. And a surplus of wingers and Dmen to trade away for future picks over next 3 years.

Islanders' cap is a train wreck.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We need young players who have a chance to be good, not formerly good players who are overpaid, getting older, and heading into their 30's.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not Getting Trochek looks like a big swing and miss but who knows what they wanted for him.
Just like when O'Reilly was available, the fans here didn't want to make the move to pick up an available top 6 center anyway.

Everyone wants a center here, but always find reasons why they don't want the one available, then in hindsight wish the Wild would match the price spent for him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just like when O'Reilly was available, the fans here didn't want to make the move to pick up an available top 6 center anyway.

Everyone wants a center here, but always find reasons why they don't want the one available, then in hindsight wish the Wild would match the price spent for him.

I think with Trochek, the majority was on board with getting him, quite a few even would have done it if it meant Brodin.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm all for signing Haula as a stopgap, middle six C with some offensive game, who won't cost any assets beside cap space.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think with Trochek, the majority was on board with getting him, quite a few even would have done it if it meant Brodin.
I remember most arguing against it though..a few were in favor, but most were not. Thought his down year was because he couldn't skate etc. Not because of lineup changes or injury recovery like seemed apparent.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Center market is soo poor in UFA.

Only option that even intrigues me is Granlund on a 1 year reclamation deal. He was a 50 point pace C early in his career with subpar wingers, before he modeled his game on Koivu's defensive responsibility.

Put him in the middle, tell him to forget the D game (that's what JEE and Sturm are for) and just create with Fiala and/or Kaprizov.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Offer sheet Barzal at 10 million/year.

We have Pens pick next year. And a surplus of wingers and Dmen to trade away for future picks over next 3 years.

Islanders' cap is a train wreck.
our current roster looks so bad, its probably a good idea to hold onto our draft picks.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
our current roster looks so bad, its probably a good idea to hold onto our draft picks.

Our current roster only looks bad down the middle. Center and Goaltending.

D is great, Wings are well above avg. Heck the prospect pool is probably even top 10 (while also being light on Cs).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Center market is soo poor in UFA.

Only option that even intrigues me is Granlund on a 1 year reclamation deal. He was a 50 point pace C early in his career with subpar wingers, before he modeled his game on Koivu's defensive responsibility.

Put him in the middle, tell him to forget the D game (that's what JEE and Sturm are for) and just create with Fiala and/or Kaprizov.
Pretty hard to create any offense from your own zone.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If Parise is traded and the Wild retain on his contract, would that help with future cap recapture? So say we retain $2m for the duration of the contract, what would the cap recapture look like?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I tried to trade Zuccarello to the Rangers, over on their board, but it didn't work that well. They said he's too expensive and there's no room for more wingers.

But they wanted to send us Georgiev for Brodin :rolleyes:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I would trade you to the Rangers board for a slice of french bread with butter on it

That's a favorite of mine too.

But they want to steal Brodin for a bad goalie, I'd say that's worse than having me around here.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would trade you to the Rangers board for a slice of french bread with butter on it
I actually made them that offer and they said we’d have to take back mark staal.

in other words I traded him to their board

Reactions: AKL

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I tried to trade Zuccarello to the Rangers, over on their board, but it didn't work that well. They said he's too expensive and there's no room for more wingers.

But they wanted to send us Georgiev for Brodin :rolleyes:

Would they do?

Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Georgiev

For

Dumba
Greenway
Menell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad