Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
5 x $6.3M offer sheet. 1st + 3rd round compensation. I'd do it.

That's a somewhat risky deal for a 23 year old whose career year was 44 points (53 point pace).

It could work out, but there's a very real chance he never becomes an 80, 70, even a 60 point player.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's a somewhat risky deal for a 23 year old whose career year was 44 points (53 point pace).

It could work out, but there's a very real chance he never becomes an 80, 70, even a 60 point player.

53 point pace playing good defense and not playing with Kucherov or Point 5v5.

He fits the age group perfectly and is a real center. It's not like his career year was 3 years ago. He's a developing young player.

I'd have a very high risk tolerance for this one.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Cirelli already plays over 18 mins a night, so any statistical increase he sees is going to have to come as a result of increased ability. He’s being utilized well over there. He paced for 53 points, if we bumped him up to PP1 and played him 20 mins a night (I doubt we would) he probably gives you 60. The hope is he’s able to develop a bit more over time and get closer to that 70 point mark. Regardless, he’s probably never a 1C on a winning team.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
53 point pace playing good defense and not playing with Kucherov or Point 5v5.

He fits the age group perfectly and is a real center. It's not like his career year was 3 years ago. He's a developing young player.

I'd have a very high risk tolerance for this one.

21 even strength points playing with Kucherov, Stamkos or Point
14 without them
5 powerplay points all with those players

18.5 minutes per game
~1 more at all ES, PP and PK than Eriksson Ek had

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you he wouldn't be a top 6 center on this team, but he's not incredibly far ahead of Eriksson Ek at this point, especially when you consider quality of team and linemates.

Would you give up a 1st and 4th for Eriksson Ek and then pay him 5M for 5 years?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Cirelli is deemed to be a similar player to Eriksson Ek, then we're never getting a damn top 6 center.

He plays the same role for Tampa that Ek does for us, but with more offensive opportunity.

I'm fine with taking a risk on Cirelli, but someone is gonna have to do a lot to convince me he's worth giving *that* offer sheet to. There's a difference between taking a risk, and moving forward with reckless abandon.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I feel like we've been here before, but something around Dumba and Nylander really does make a ton of sense.

Reactions: TanSor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I feel like we've been here before, but something around Dumba and Nylander really does make a ton of sense.

It does. Neither guy might be exactly what the fans are looking for, but both are drastic improvements over the status quo and both deal from a strength. Ages roughly the same, contract status roughly the same. If Toronto said we had to toss in a little something extra because of age and Nylander being under contract a year longer, I wouldn't quibble too much.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It does. Neither guy might be exactly what the fans are looking for, but both are drastic improvements over the status quo and both deal from a strength. Ages roughly the same, contract status roughly the same. If Toronto said we had to toss in a little something extra because of age and Nylander being under contract a year longer, I wouldn't quibble too much.

And with both teams looking to make changes this summer, it would be the exact type of deal you'd look for.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Tyler Johnson seems like he'd be a cheap Top 6 target if he'd waive to come here. His contract seems fair at a $5M AAV. Would think Tampa would prefer to send him off for cheap rather than try to trade Cirelli.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Tyler Johnson seems like he'd be a cheap Top 6 target if he'd waive to come here. His contract seems fair at a $5M AAV. Would think Tampa would prefer to send him off for cheap rather than try to trade Cirelli.

He worries me. If we could convince Tampa to pay us to take him I'd probably go for it. Not asking much, maybe Johnson+2nd for a 3rd or 4th.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Him and Spurgeon were in Spokane together, too. Send Spurgeon in to do the marketing.

Reactions: Spurgeon

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’ve looked at him hard because I think you could get him for next to nothing. He’s not playing a ton in Tampa. he’s at about 2 points/60. I don’t think he’s much of an upgrade over Ek for the 2C slot, if at all. I’d rather make a more substantial move, but I could see Guerin doing it.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

I don't want almost 20M tied up in 3 forwards for the next 4 years, on the wrong side of 30, that would be better described as "middle-6" or "bottom-9" than "top-6" forwards. While Johnson's contract is more appealing than those 2, I don't see those 2 going anywhere.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He worries me. If we could convince Tampa to pay us to take him I'd probably go for it. Not asking much, maybe Johnson+2nd for a 3rd or 4th.

I’ve looked at him hard because I think you could get him for next to nothing. He’s not playing a ton in Tampa. he’s at about 2 points/60. I don’t think he’s much of an upgrade over Ek for the 2C slot, if at all. I’d rather make a more substantial move, but I could see Guerin doing it.

He's an upgrade over Ek on the offensive side of the game. He may not be a #1C, but I think he could put up those kind of numbers playing with Fiala (he'd also be able to match his skating a lot better than Staal can).

His contract would be great for us if he works out too. His final year would be played at 33, which means his age isn't much of a concern. And if he only puts up 45-50 point seasons, he's not being overpaid at a $5M AAV.

Overall, if he doesn't end up being able to play at a 1C level, I think his floor is probably around a 2C. Seems like a low risk play for the Wild who have the cap space to make the move.

I don't want almost 20M tied up in 3 forwards for the next 4 years, on the wrong side of 30, that would be better described as "middle-6" or "bottom-9" than "top-6" forwards. While Johnson's contract is more appealing than those 2, I don't see those 2 going anywhere.

Johnson isn't really old. He just turned 30 a few days ago and isn't really being paid a significant amount. I think at minimum, he replaces Staal as a 2C at an affordable price.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How does the NTC work? If he waives it for us, do we have to honor it after?

I believe with the new CBA, yes.

Does a "full NTC" differ from a NMC in regards to the expansion draft? Would we be forced to protect a full NTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad