Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I wonder how much management is looking at Ryan Strome. It's a tough situation because he needs a new contract and he just came off a career year where he's probably looking to cash in, but he's a right shot center that's shown now more than once that he's capable of 50+ points if he's put in a position to succeed, and I think he could get there if you put him between Fiala or Kaprizov. I also don't even know if he's totally available, but at least some Rangers fans seem to think so. He's not the most attractive option, but he might be the most realistic and relatively cheap to acquire, and if it works out, it would solve the center issue (getting him extended) and the lack of right shots in the top 6.
Will he be a UFA this summer?

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Unless he's remarkably good in the playoffs, I don't see how Galchenyuk comes back next year

This is probably the truth, unless he wows at C and we can fill him in on the bottom 6 there I doubt he will. If Koivu does call it quits, he would atleast likely be a cheap option. But odds are a move will be made to acquire C depth

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Will he be a UFA this summer?

He's an RFA, but I imagine he'll be looking for a long term UFA type contract, since he'd be a UFA next year. That's why it's tricky. His cap hit right now is 3.2M. Would he sign a 1-2 year prove it contract at this point? Maybe around 5M, to show he can consistently be a 50+ point producer, and cash in on a contract at maybe 5x6.5M at age 28 or 29? Or would he rather get a 6x5.5M contract right now? What are we comfortable giving him?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I wonder how much management is looking at Ryan Strome. It's a tough situation because he needs a new contract and he just came off a career year where he's probably looking to cash in, but he's a right shot center that's shown now more than once that he's capable of 50+ points if he's put in a position to succeed, and I think he could get there if you put him between Fiala or Kaprizov. I also don't even know if he's totally available, but at least some Rangers fans seem to think so. He's not the most attractive option, but he might be the most realistic and relatively cheap to acquire, and if it works out, it would solve the center issue (getting him extended) and the lack of right shots in the top 6.

Depends on if they want to hand the spot to Chytil just yet.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This is probably the truth, unless he wows at C and we can fill him in on the bottom 6 there I doubt he will. If Koivu does call it quits, he would atleast likely be a cheap option. But odds are a move will be made to acquire C depth
Ek, Sturm, Rask, and maybe Koivu are there for the bottom 6. Galchenyuk will have to outplay Staal in this playoffs for him to get a contract. IMO

Reactions: StateofCelly

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Depends on if they want to hand the spot to Chytil just yet.

I would posit that his contract situation could make him more expendable to NY than their center situation. I know we're used to giving out bloated contracts to guys that shouldn't get them because we lack better options, but not every team does that with every player. Some teams move guys they don't want to give those contracts to and take the chance on their younger guys stepping up.

And yes I'm talking about Spurgeon.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
He's an RFA, but I imagine he'll be looking for a long term UFA type contract, since he'd be a UFA next year. That's why it's tricky. His cap hit right now is 3.2M. Would he sign a 1-2 year prove it contract at this point? Maybe around 5M, to show he can consistently be a 50+ point producer, and cash in on a contract at maybe 5x6.5M at age 28 or 29? Or would he rather get a 6x5.5M contract right now? What are we comfortable giving him?
I haven’t seen a lot of him but I remember being relatively impressed both times we played NYR. I wouldn’t be mad if we brought him in to be our Other top 6 C, I just would hope it’s a reasonable trade to get him here since we’ll be taking on risk in the form of his contract as well. I wouldn’t move Dumba for instance.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I haven’t seen a lot of him but I remember being relatively impressed both times we played NYR. I wouldn’t be mad if we brought him in to be our Other top 6 C, I just would hope it’s a reasonable trade to get him here since we’ll be taking on risk in the form of his contract as well. I wouldn’t move Dumba for instance.

Yeah that's one reason I think he might be attractive, because we wouldn't have to move Dumba, and frankly I don't even think NYR would want Dumba. They've got Fox and Deangelo on the right side already. I was wondering whether something like Greenway/Donato+ would get it done. The + obviously wouldn't be a 1st or one of our top prospects (Boldy, Khovanov, Addison)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think a short term Galchenyuk contract is a bad fall back option if the market isn't to our liking. Need to exhaust all other options first though.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I believe they have plans for Galchenyuk, and he also played pretty well before the shutdown.

They like him, and he'll be very helpful for Kaprizov when it comes to language issues.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
@KaprizovSaveUs This is a response I just got to some questions I asked in the NYR board.

1)Is he really available or is it just fan speculation: I do think Strome could potentially be available but the Rangers preference is to keep him. Any decision will come down to A) cap crunch (can they sign DeAngelo at a discount) and B) if they feel that Filip Chytil can step into a 2nd line role and that they have a replacement for Chytil on line 3. Could be a vet 3rd line C or a young player acquired for Strome.

2)What would it cost: It would likely cost a young center (pref on an ELC or second contract) that can play 3rd line minutes + 2nd/3rd round pick depending on the level of that player

3)What kind of contract could/should/will he get: Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6m AAV would be my guess. Longer the term, higher the AAV

4)What level of player is he realistically moving forward: Realistically, a 50-55 point center that can play wing in a pinch and produce with talented players or drive a 3rd line if he's on a deeper team. Some believe he was a product of playing with Panarin (the two really clicked this season) but he has really made substantial improvements in other areas.

5)What type of player is he and what are his strengths/weaknesses: He's particularly strong at complimenting talented players and pretty good on the right half wall on the PP. He has a great wrist shot and can make some great passes. Can be counted on defensively (to an extent) but also is prone to some minor lapses here and there. I think consistency is probably one of his weaknesses, he can be streaky at times.

Overall he's a run of the mill 2nd line center that I think is best served for a team that has strong top 6 wingers to play him with.

Frankly it sounds like he would be exactly the type of player we'd be looking for as a potentially low cost option with a relatively high reward. We have the skilled wingers for him to play with, he's a right shot for our PP, he's young-ish (just turned 27).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
60 points in 70 games is impressive, but it becomes quite a bit less impressive when his winger scores 95 points during that time.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
60 points in 70 games is impressive, but it becomes quite a bit less impressive when his winger scores 95 points during that time.

I wouldn't acquire or re-sign him with the expectation that he could score 70 points, he'd be a 50-60 point player, much like RNH would be, but he'd likely come at a much better cost to acquire and contract extension. Panarin is a different kind of beast, there are few players in the league that could keep up with his production. On top of that, Strome did score 50 with the Islanders too. He's not going to drive the top line, or be a true 1C, but he'd be able to keep up with Kaprizov and Fiala, and that's more of what I'm focused on right now. Especially since he wouldn't cost us Dumba or Brodin.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I wouldn't acquire or re-sign him with the expectation that he could score 70 points, he'd be a 50-60 point player, much like RNH would be, but he'd likely come at a much better cost to acquire and contract extension. Panarin is a different kind of beast, there are few players in the league that could keep up with his production. On top of that, Strome did score 50 with the Islanders too. He's not going to drive the top line, or be a true 1C, but he'd be able to keep up with Kaprizov and Fiala, and that's more of what I'm focused on right now. Especially since he wouldn't cost us Dumba or Brodin.
There's really no reason to believe that he can be a 60 point center though.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There's really no reason to believe that he can be a 60 point center though.

But there is reason to believe he can be a 50 point center, and if the cost is Greenway+2nd/3rd, I'll take that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

But man, those years in between were awfully lean.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But man, those years in between were awfully lean.

Playing in Edmonton for 2 years certainly doesn't help.

I'm not saying it's fool proof, but if you can pry him out of NY without giving up Dumba or Brodin? That would already be paying for itself.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
@KaprizovSaveUs This is a response I just got to some questions I asked in the NYR board.

Frankly it sounds like he would be exactly the type of player we'd be looking for as a potentially low cost option with a relatively high reward. We have the skilled wingers for him to play with, he's a right shot for our PP, he's young-ish (just turned 27).
He’s definitely intriguing and An option I’m interested in. If they’re really looking for a young C on an ELC, I don’t know that we have much for them.

if he can pickup 50-60 points by giving Fiala the puck in scoring areas, I’m pumped.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He’s definitely intriguing and An option I’m interested in. If they’re really looking for a young C on an ELC, I don’t know that we have much for them.

if he can pickup 50-60 points by giving Fiala the puck in scoring areas, I’m pumped.

Apparently there could be some interest in Greenway or Firstov as well, so I don't know that us not having the center they're looking for makes a potential deal DOA. They would just need to find the 3C elsewhere, which shouldn't be too difficult.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
I like the idea of targetting a guy like Strome as well. Someone we can target without giving up a huge amount for and if it doesnt pan out it hasn’t taken us way off course.

I just think there are too many unknowns at this point to rush into trading big assets like Dumba to address the C situation. His value is down. Brodin isnt resigned yet and moving Dumba without knowing we can retain Brodin scares me bigtime.

We hope Kahkonen can be the answer in net but thats still a question mark.

We hope Kaprizov will produce like we think he will, but exactly what we have there isnt known.

New coach in the mix.

I just dont see us as serious contendors next year unless several of these things go the right way anyway, so as bad as I want the center situation resolved, I wouldn’t mind seeing a prove it deal for Galchenyuk and hope Staal rebounds a bit towards what we saw from him 2 years ago. Let Ek play an extended period of time with some skilled wingers and see if his offense shows up like we once thought he was capable of. We know he can play the shutdown C role very well already. Sturm looks ready for bottom 6 duty as well.

If there is a trade out there for a cant miss center, go for it. But part of me wants to see what this team can rebound to having some fun under Evanson.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
But there is reason to believe he can be a 50 point center, and if the cost is Greenway+2nd/3rd, I'll take that.
I don't want to sound like I'm just trying to shit on the idea at every turn, because he is the kind of guy that needs to be looked at. There's just a whole bunch of what ifs involved with Strome. Are the Rangers going to expect the value of a 60 point center? Is Strome going expect the contract of a 60 point center?

I do know if the cost includes Greenway then I would be out for sure

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't want to sound like I'm just trying to shit on the idea at every turn, because he is the kind of guy that needs to be looked at. There's just a whole bunch of what ifs involved with Strome. Are the Rangers going to expect the value of a 60 point center? Is Strome going expect the contract of a 60 point center?

I do know if the cost includes Greenway then I would be out for sure

There's going to be questions about most of the options we have, so I'm not offended that not everyone agrees with me about Strome, but it would be a huge bonus to be able to acquire a guy that could play top 6 center without giving up one of the defensemen or a top prospect.

The idea that we trade for Strome would be predicated on the fact that the Rangers aren't looking for typical top 6 center value (a couple fans that have responded mentioned a 3C+2nd/3rd or Greenway+undisclosed value or Firstov+undisclosed value), and that he's looking for a reasonable contract extension (in my mind, 5x5 with no trade protection).

I know you're higher than most (certainly than I am) on Greenway, and I get why, but I don't see much top 6 offensive upside in him, especially when we've got Fiala, Kaprizov and Boldy in the system, and I think bottom 6 wingers can be replaced pretty easily, even if they are great possession players. I feel Foligno could fill the third line role in his absence, and we've got to start moving wingers as is.

I think your concerns about Strome are valid and justified, and I'd still be looking at other options, but Strome could still be a cheap and potentially very viable option, a stopgap at the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad