Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We should be able to get Madden for Addison. Not sure that would be wise....I think Addison is more valuable. Madden is a small guy. Not sure that he can be a C in the NHL.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Any possible interest in a Staal for Mittelstadt swap? Or at least as a base for a trade. I understand his development has been hindered but he’s still got talent and just needs time to put it together.

Buffalo needs a legit #2 behind Eichel and the Sabres need someone who’s tough to play against. Staal and new GM Kevin Adams also won together in Carolina so there is history there that could lead to Staal allowing the deal to happen.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Any possible interest in a Staal for Mittelstadt swap? Or at least as a base for a trade. I understand his development has been hindered but he’s still got talent and just needs time to put it together.

Buffalo needs a legit #2 behind Eichel and the Sabres need someone who’s tough to play against. Staal and new GM Kevin Adams also won together in Carolina so there is history there that could lead to Staal allowing the deal to happen.
I mean I’d have interest in Mittelstadt, albeit not much these days, but we really can’t trade staal at this stage in the game unless we add at least another top 6 C.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal is obviously a much better player, but I don't get the play for the Sabres here. Staal has a maybe a couple of decent years left, and that's with him being a happy camper here in MN where he has set up his family. We all saw what he was like last time he played in NY state. Also, does BUF truly think they are going to be a contender in the next couple of years? IMO, BUF would be smarter trying to get a younger, less talented, but useful player like Kunin, or maybe Soucy.

Personally, I can't believe how poorly Mittlestadt's development has gone. I thought that he might be a special player, but he has been anything but so far. I don't know that many Wild fans would be on board with trading Kunin for him, or even one of our prospects like Beckman or Khovanov.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Staal is obviously a much better player, but I don't get the play for the Sabres here. Staal has a maybe a couple of decent years left, and that's with him being a happy camper here in MN where he has set up his family. We all saw what he was like last time he played in NY state. Also, does BUF truly think they are going to be a contender in the next couple of years? IMO, BUF would be smarter trying to get a younger, less talented, but useful player like Kunin, or maybe Soucy.

Personally, I can't believe how poorly Mittlestadt's development has gone. I thought that he might be a special player, but he has been anything but so far. I don't know that many Wild fans would be on board with trading Kunin for him, or even one of our prospects like Beckman or Khovanov.

I can. I think most of the 9 people in the state that still watch the Gophers all thought that another year in school would've done him good.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Lafreniere for Eichel is interesting, but I think if you believe Lafreniere will be as good a player, you keep him and take the extra 5 years

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
id take Eichel over Lafreniere.
I think you’ve gotta think about the long game. If you draft Lafreniere it’s so that he can be the face of your franchise and best player for 15+ years. Eichel would no doubt be a superstar for us, but we’re only gaaraunteed 5 more years of him before he hits FA. Lafreniere also has the advantage of having an ELC to take advantage of. I think the move would be simply making a trade based solely on the current needs of the team rather than what’s best for the next couple decades. Just my thoughts.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think you’ve gotta think about the long game. If you draft Lafreniere it’s so that he can be the face of your franchise and best player for 15+ years. Eichel would no doubt be a superstar for us, but we’re only gaaraunteed 5 more years of him before he hits FA. Lafreniere also has the advantage of having an ELC to take advantage of. I think the move would be simply making a trade based solely on the current needs of the team rather than what’s best for the next couple decades. Just my thoughts.
There's no taking advantage of his ELC if those 3 years are spent playing on a line with Joel Eriksson Ek. Lafrienere for Eichel straight up would be a no-brainer for Minnesota.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Win the #1OA, take Lafreniere

Dumba for Nylander
Brodin for Domi
Staal for a good, veteran LHD
Greenway/Donato + Dubnyk for draft asset(s)
Greenway/Donato for draft asset(s)... *change to Parise if you're so inclined

Lafrieniere - Nylander - Fiala
Kaprizov - Domi - Zuccarello
Parise* - Eriksson Ek - Kunin
Foligno - Sturm - Hartman
Rask

Suter - Spurgeon
Soucy - Pateryn
Vet LHD - Menell
Hunt

Kahkonen
Stalock

$23.5M in cap space to account for the vet LHD, and to re-sign Domi, Kunin and Soucy. Also upgrade the goalie situation if so inclined.

5 of the top 6 forwards are 25 or under, and Zuccarello is basically place-holding for Boldy for a year or two. Also have Beckman and Khovanov as wild cards.

Defense takes a hit, but we still have a top pair that can play 25 minutes per night (the other 2 pairs can evenly split the other 35).

Expansion draft implications: protect Nylander, Fiala, Domi, Zuccarello, Parise, Eriksson Ek and Kunin. Suter, Spurgeon and Soucy. Kahkonen.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you could get Nylander for Dumba then it would be dumb to trade Brodin for Domi.

Reactions: fgobuzz

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Win the #1OA, take Lafreniere

Dumba for Nylander
Brodin for Domi
Staal for a good, veteran LHD
Greenway/Donato + Dubnyk for draft asset(s)
Greenway/Donato for draft asset(s)... *change to Parise if you're so inclined

Lafrieniere - Nylander - Fiala
Kaprizov - Domi - Zuccarello
Parise* - Eriksson Ek - Kunin
Foligno - Sturm - Hartman
Rask

Suter - Spurgeon
Soucy - Pateryn
Vet LHD - Menell
Hunt

Kahkonen
Stalock

$23.5M in cap space to account for the vet LHD, and to re-sign Domi, Kunin and Soucy. Also upgrade the goalie situation if so inclined.

5 of the top 6 forwards are 25 or under, and Zuccarello is basically place-holding for Boldy for a year or two. Also have Beckman and Khovanov as wild cards.

Defense takes a hit, but we still have a top pair that can play 25 minutes per night (the other 2 pairs can evenly split the other 35).

Expansion draft implications: protect Nylander, Fiala, Domi, Zuccarello, Parise, Eriksson Ek and Kunin. Suter, Spurgeon and Soucy. Kahkonen.
This type of scenario goes through my mind a lot. I like it. I will say that I’d try and Move just one of Brodin Dumba and just let Staal play 2C until something more enticing comes up. I’d prefer to trade Brodin, unless an extensions in place. And even the , I think Dumba’s got massive potential to bounce back. I’d go Brodin for Nylander, then Domi in that order, assuming that there’d have to be an extension in place for it to make sense.

if a move for parise came up, I’d do it. I’d move Greenway/Donato for a comparable LD of similar age.

at 25, draft ~Brisson.
buyout dubnyk if we can’t trade him. Stalock will be our 3rd goalie. Sign/Trade for league average goalie to split time with Kahkonen, that’s all this team really needs.

Regardless of how you draw up the hypothetical in your head, one’s gotta admit that there hasn’t been this much excitement about the direction of the team in a while.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
What if he is not the face of our franchise and Kap is better? Eichel is a C we need and is young plus we could get him for more than 5 years if we keep him happy. you cant say 15+ for Laf then only 5 for Eichel what if Laf hates it here and says no to an extention after his ELC? then youre screwed. We have the Wing depth we need that C now and for the future.

Reactions: 2Pair

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we win 1OA, I wonder if/what NJ would add to Hughes to get that pick

I don't even know if I'd want Hughes. I have concerns about his ability to be an effective first line center in the NHL.

Somewhat ironically though, the more I think about it, the more I would try to trade down to take Stutzle and maybe pick up another high end piece. It wouldn't be the safest move, and probably not the smartest, but depending on what you could grab on top of Stutzle, it could be a home run type of move if it works out.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I don't even know if I'd want Hughes. I have concerns about his ability to be an effective first line center in the NHL.

Somewhat ironically though, the more I think about it, the more I would try to trade down to take Stutzle and maybe pick up another high end piece. It wouldn't be the safest move, and probably not the smartest, but depending on what you could grab on top of Stutzle, it could be a home run type of move if it works out.
For me there’s really no question in my mind that He’ll be a 1C someday. He’s just way to slight to be in the NHL right now. Granted, I only caught 3 or 4 devils games this year, but In every game he was creating space with his skating and get knocked off the puck from behind in a laughable fashion. The only way I could see him not succeeding is if he just fails to get stronger. The skating is incredible. Not McDavid-level, but in the next tier with guys like Eichel and Mackinnon. Either way, the deal that I was thinking of in my head for wild be Laf + Pitts 1st for Hughes + NJs earliest 1st 7OA (though AZs at 11ish wouldn’t be horrible).

I find myself thinking about the 3 + 5 for 1OA trade a lot. Like you said, it’s super risky. If you look back at most drafts, it’s be a bad play, but then there’s the odd Petterson + Heiskanen scenario that makes me wonder. I mean, if you think the top of the draft is as good as it looks, there’s definelty a chance. If you can grab your 1C at 3 (Byfield/Stutzle) and you 1D at 5 (Dysdale) you’re set for a decade. If Lafreniere was a Center the risk wouldn’t be even worth considering, but it does make you think since we really need Cs.
I guess for me, I don’t think Drysdale is going to be a 1D, and though Stutzle and Rossi look like they’re going to be Dynamos, they both have the risk of not even sticking at C in the NHL level. I guess the same can be said for Hughes though, too.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For me there’s really no question in my mind that He’ll be a 1C someday. He’s just way to slight to be in the NHL right now. Granted, I only caught 3 or 4 devils games this year, but In every game he was creating space with his skating and get knocked off the puck from behind in a laughable fashion. The only way I could see him not succeeding is if he just fails to get stronger. The skating is incredible. Not McDavid-level, but in the next tier with guys like Eichel and Mackinnon. Either way, the deal that I was thinking of in my head for wild be Laf + Pitts 1st for Hughes + NJs earliest 1st 7OA (though AZs at 11ish wouldn’t be horrible).

I find myself thinking about the 3 + 5 for 1OA trade a lot. Like you said, it’s super risky. If you look back at most drafts, it’s be a bad play, but then there’s the odd Petterson + Heiskanen scenario that makes me wonder. I mean, if you think the top of the draft is as good as it looks, there’s definelty a chance. If you can grab your 1C at 3 (Byfield/Stutzle) and you 1D at 5 (Dysdale) you’re set for a decade. If Lafreniere was a Center the risk wouldn’t be even worth considering, but it does make you think since we really need Cs.
I guess for me, I don’t think Drysdale is going to be a 1D, and though Stutzle and Rossi look like they’re going to be Dynamos, they both have the risk of not even sticking at C in the NHL level. I guess the same can be said for Hughes though, too.

I just wonder at which point we have to take a big risk like that. Lafreniere is easily a franchise cornerstone, but you don't win with high end wingers, you win with high end centers. This is definitely one of the better drafts to consider a 1 for 3+5 move just based on how much high end talent is in the first 7 or so picks, at the same time, with how great Lafreniere is and how relatively safe he is, that probably makes it a worse draft to do that in. Tough to say. I agree though, if Lafreniere was a center I would never consider it even for a second. I almost would rather try to turn him into a center than anything else.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I just wonder at which point we have to take a big risk like that. Lafreniere is easily a franchise cornerstone, but you don't win with high end wingers, you win with high end centers. This is definitely one of the better drafts to consider a 1 for 3+5 move just based on how much high end talent is in the first 7 or so picks, at the same time, with how great Lafreniere is and how relatively safe he is, that probably makes it a worse draft to do that in. Tough to say. I agree though, if Lafreniere was a center I would never consider it even for a second. I almost would rather try to turn him into a center than anything else.
I’d prefer to convert him to the middle of the ice after he’s comfortable in the NHL as well. And, if we draft him, I would shocked if that’s not tried at some point given the current roster makeup. I mean he thinks the game, he competes everywhere and distributed the puck better than anyone else in the draft. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. But then again, I thought Boldly at C would work too so what do I know

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d prefer to convert him to the middle of the ice after he’s comfortable in the NHL as well. And, if we draft him, I would shocked if that’s not tried at some point given the current roster makeup. I mean he thinks the game, he competes everywhere and distributed the puck better than anyone else in the draft. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. But then again, I thought Boldly at C would work too so what do I know

FWIW I still don't think Boldly can't be a center. He still looked good there, the points just didn't come. He still got chances though.

Would love to see it tried again now that he's more comfortable in the NCAA, but that's likely not going to happen. Would try it in the AHL in 2021-22 though.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
FWIW I still don't think Boldly can't be a center. He still looked good there, the points just didn't come. He still got chances though.

Would love to see it tried again now that he's more comfortable in the NCAA, but that's likely not going to happen. Would try it in the AHL in 2021-22 though.
I'd rather him just play wing. He's a fantastic two-way winger and is the type of player who can play with a Center who's not that great defensively.

Could you imagine if he played on Draisaitl's wing? Drai would look like the best player in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->