Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Well I'd say you have a point if we already have a 50 point center but we don't have any.

PD normally excels in 5v5 scoring where he ranks up towards the top. I do think the criticism of a lot comes from secondary assists is valid, but secondary assists can set up a goal as much as a primary at times.

Without looking it up I assume PD will be the top UFA center in the offseason. Do you want the Wild to have another year wasted with their D core and limit our budding wings again? He is going to make 6mil somewhere. Why not here where we could actually use him?

PD wants to go somewhere he can play in the top 6 and get PP time. With how our depth is he will be the 1C until Rossi takes over and with how Dean runs the PP he will get plenty of time on it.

you take a 50 point center and give him PP time he turns into a 60+ point center.

Id rather sign one of getzlaf, statsny, krecji, maybe even haula at a short term deal tbh. or RNH

Give Rossi a year to prove himself and get accustomed, year or two after maybe marat or this years draft pick are ready

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That doesn't matter to good ole Dean's PP.

Good ole Dean's PP that's scored 3 times out of 42 attempts is going to turn Danault from a 50 point player to a 60+ point player?

How's that working for Bonino? Bjugstad? Are their point totals going up from being on the PP when they shouldn't be?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Good ole Dean's PP that's scored 3 times out of 42 attempts is going to turn Danault from a 50 point player to a 60+ point player?

How's that working for Bonino? Bjugstad? Are their point totals going up from being on the PP when they shouldn't be?
Yes it will, with boldy, Kaprizov, and Fiala. Plus I think the Wild will change up the PP next year. You can bet though PD who is an above 50% career FO% center will be on the PP compared to all the other centers when it comes to Dean valuing FO%.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Yes it will, with boldy, Kaprizov, and Fiala. Plus I think the Wild will change up the PP next year. You can bet though PD who is an above 50% career FO% center will be on the PP compared to all the other centers when it comes to Dean valuing FO%.

Quite eager to assume 1)PD will even leave montreal and 2) Dean will still have a job next year :laugh:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

So why isn't Danault getting the PP ice time and production in Montreal if that's the case?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
So why isn't Danault getting the PP ice time and production in Montreal if that's the case?
Probably because their 1C and 2C are on the first and second pp. we don’t have the same roster as them so I don’t feel like it is super relevant. Their top 3 centers are better than any of ours.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Probably because their 1C and 2C are on the first and second pp. we don’t have the same roster as them so I don’t feel like it is super relevant. Their top 3 centers are better than any of ours.

Danault was their 1C up until this season, and from 2017-2020, 16 forwards that played more than 10 games with Montreal got more PP time than he did. Meanwhile, only 2 got more total ice time (and neither of those two play for Montreal right now).

So your plan is to stick him there, even if he isn't good, and doesn't actually improve the PP, and then when he happens to pick up some points from being there, that's how you'll justify it?

I get that there aren't many good options, but maybe instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole, we should wait for, or try to get, a round peg?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Danault was their 1C up until this season, and from 2017-2020, 16 forwards that played more than 10 games with Montreal got more PP time than he did. Meanwhile, only 2 got more total ice time (and neither of those two play for Montreal right now).

So your plan is to stick him there, even if he isn't good, and doesn't actually improve the PP, and then when he happens to pick up some points from being there, that's how you'll justify it?

I get that there aren't many good options, but maybe instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole, we should wait for, or try to get, a round peg?
Gotta try something, how about we stick him on the PP until we find something better. Heck if we get Beniers I’m fine with passing on PD. I been been in the camp that I don’t want him if he wants over 5 years.

į just think PD buys the Wild the best chance at adding stability in the center core in the UFA market.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Gotta try something, how about we stick him on the PP until we find something better. Heck if we get Beniers I’m fine with passing on PD. I been been in the camp that I don’t want him if he wants over 5 years.

į just think PD buys the Wild the best chance at adding stability in the center core in the UFA market.

I feel like "gotta try something" is how we got in this position in the first place. Is stability going to win playoff games? We had stability for years with Staal and Koivu.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Short term for what though? Just fun?

Maybe short term to ensure we're good enough to not get a pick that might actually solve our issues, but not good enough to make the playoffs?

We lucked into Rossi because all three teams worse than us unexpectedly won their play in rounds. Many expect Rossi to be the 1C moving forward, but if we hadn't gotten incredibly lucky, we still might not have a future top C. I get that people don't like tanking, but if the plan is to sign players like Getzlaf, Stastny and Danault, we're going to be spinning our wheels forever.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
To take a little pressure off rossi, and allow marat and if we draft a center this year a year or two to develop. Ideal situation vs signing PD longer term when we have his replacements here within a couple years.
I don’t see the point in signing dinosaurs. I’d rather ride out what we got instead and maintain the tank.

Reactions: keppel146

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I watched MTL last night. Danault didn’t do anything that stood out, (but no one did either on the habs last night).

I don't know how much you've watched total, but he's not the type of player that stands out. Great defensively, steady and reliable overall, but never a standout.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I watched MTL last night. Danault didn’t do anything that stood out, (but no one did either on the habs last night).
He’s a more polished Ek essentially. Great defense and wins many faceoffs. We wanted to sign him instead of chasing a unicorn because then we can go Danault-Ek-Sturm/Rask until Rossi shows up. Then Rossi as 1C with danault and ek as shutdown c with the trajectory our wingers we hope are gonna be as offensive dynamos, doesn’t lead us to need a super offensive 1C

Reactions: HotDish

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He’s a more polished Ek essentially. Great defense and wins many faceoffs. We wanted to sign him instead of chasing a unicorn because then we can go Danault-Ek-Sturm/Rask until Rossi shows up. Then Rossi as 1C with danault and ek as shutdown c with the trajectory our wingers we hope are gonna be as offensive dynamos, doesn’t lead us to need a super offensive 1C
I rather keep pressing JEE to grow into a 2C role than bring in an expensive 28 year old to block that development.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It might be more painful for a couple of years, but I agree. Get JEE some #2 PP TOI, at the very least. Get him out of his comfort zone, and challenge him to be better offensively. Getting a guy like Danault or RNH is the sort of signing that you make when you have a team near contention, and need something to take you over the top.

If Rossi doesn't pan out, we are going to be in a world of hurt at the C position for years to come, though. What do we have? Sturm, Khovanov, Hentges, McBain, and Marat? :confused:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I rather keep pressing JEE to grow into a 2C role than bring in an expensive 28 year old to block that development.
I don’t disagree, i am on board with signing him because then we have center depth. He could be 2c while ek is 1c. I don’t have any issue developing ek further but we have complained this year if our center situation. Rossi is a lovely hope but right now he is a hopeful 1c and nothing is confirmed. Going after Danault allows us to compete now and let his line along with eks line play even minutes offensively and defensively while allowing Rossi/Sturm/khovanov/Marat time to grow their game while not completely waisting this team we currently have. I’m very pro tank but after this year I don’t see us tanking, next season and beyond I see us trying to grow our youth and really try to contend so signing Danault long term May not be great or ideal but if we can find a middle ground I won’t hate having him here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad