Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would rather just use Laine to try to get the number 1 RD we need. But that is just me.

Also the fact that Reinhart will be one year from. UFA when his contract is up and can just arb his way out isn't something I am keen on.

I think I prefer the Bruins Carlo, DeBrusk and a futures deal more for Laine. Fills a couple of holes with some quality young players and will also add some future assets to the system.

Reinhart will have UFA available to him the same time as Laine could, so I consider that a wash. It is an issue, but one we can't really divine how it would go in 2-3 years time.

I agree that it would be better to use Laine to improve the total team more than that Buffalo deal might. I think that one is just breaking even for both teams.

But getting what we need by trading Laine won't be easy. Not even close. That's why I almost always end up bundling Pionk with Laine to get the 1RD we need. Besides increasing the value of the package, it gives a top 4 RHD in exchange for a top 4 RHD. Should be an easier sell to the other team. I also want a top 6 winger to come back, preferably RHS. So balanced in somewhat the same way as the Buffalo proposal. We get a lesser RW and a better RD. The other team gets a better RW and a lesser RD. Everybody's happy - in theory. :laugh:

That Bruins proposal is marginal. Neither of the main pieces coming back is of the calibre I would want. I could see it, or similar being the best offer we get though.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Usage is obviously a big factor. So are linemates. If Eichel hadn't been able to have good linemates in Buffalo then changing teams would make a bigger difference. Jets D was probably even worse at moving the puck last year than Buffalo's, or they were about the same.

Eichel is a better player than Scheifele. He will score more than Scheif. But I don't think his scoring would explode.
Beefalo's D were much better and I think Eichel is a more rounded player and quite a bit better defensively. Although, you have to remember that Dahlin was playing D almost every time Eichel was on the ice. Also, Rhino is no slouch and played on his wing.
Dahlin got 44 points in his rookie season and was on pace for 56 last season. This guy is a superstar in the making.
How many points would Scheif score with Dahlin playing on our D?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Didn't the article say he was treated at the scene for his injuries? If you aren't taken in for medical there is nothing more than cuts and/or bruises.

There may be far more consequential issues afterwards than just physical injuries. Depending upon whether there are more serious injuries to the others, or, I certainly hope not, a death, that comes as a result from one or more of the 4 that had more serious injuries, then guilt or legal consequences may follow. Luckily I have never been part of a serious enough of an accident that caused serious injury or death but my mother has (no fault of her own, someone walked out between 2 busses in traffic without looking) and did some serious mental damage that took years to recover from.
Hopefully everyone recovers well and can go on with their lives unimpeded and without serious long lasting restraints or impediments.
I read a story on Cody Ceci, and the legal ramifications that arose from an serious injury sustained by one of his friends at a party where she got severely burned, and ended up suing. No doubt that would have had a big impact on his state of mind, mental capacity and ability to focus on both his game and his life.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Anyone know the situation with Jack Roslovic and where that stands? There was the rumoured trade request.... @Joe Hallenback , heard anything?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Beefalo's D were much better and I think Eichel is a more rounded player and quite a bit better defensively. Although, you have to remember that Dahlin was playing D almost every time Eichel was on the ice. Also, Rhino is no slouch and played on his wing.
Dahlin got 44 points in his rookie season and was on pace for 56 last season. This guy is a superstar in the making.
How many points would Scheif score with Dahlin playing on our D?

Fair point.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Bolts are going to have to make a big move soon of one kind or another. They are currently almost 2 million over the cap and still need to sign Cernak & Cirelli. Even if they sign those two guys for a combined 5-6 million total (lower cap hit bridge deals to both), that will put them at roughly 7-8 million over the cap and 21 players on the roster signed. Obviously they need to trade one big name or 2-3 mid level contracts.....then they need to fill the holes in the lineup with warm bodies with min NHL deals.

Some team(s) should be able to grab 1-2 decent players fairly cheap from the Bolts, assuming they sign both young guys & don't trade them. Interested in seeing what they do & who benefits.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bolts are going to have to make a big move soon of one kind or another. They are currently almost 2 million over the cap and still need to sign Cernak & Cirelli. Even if they sign those two guys for a combined 5-6 million total (lower cap hit bridge deals to both), that will put them at roughly 7-8 million over the cap and 21 players on the roster signed. Obviously they need to trade one big name or 2-3 mid level contracts.....then they need to fill the holes in the lineup with warm bodies with min NHL deals.

Some team(s) should be able to grab 1-2 decent players fairly cheap from the Bolts, assuming they sign both young guys & don't trade them. Interested in seeing what they do & who benefits.

Cirelli and/or Cernak would be a huge add for any team... Cernak is exactly what the Jets need...

But I could see Tampa trading Stamkos to Detroit to make room

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Cirelli and/or Cernak would be a huge add for any team... Cernak is exactly what the Jets need...

But I could see Tampa trading Stamkos to Detroit to make room

TBH most teams would love either Cirelli or Cernak, including the Jets but I doubt Bolts allow either to get away. Of course that will require some smooth dealing to arrange to keep them both.

I doubt Stamkos waives to go any where, why would he? Most wives/players like Florida weather, plus he's on cup favorite team again this year.......I don't see any reason for him to waive. IMO it would be shocking to see him waive to go anywhere.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
TBH most teams would love either Cirelli or Cernak, including the Jets but I doubt Bolts allow either to get away. Of course that will require some smooth dealing to arrange to keep them both.

I doubt Stamkos waives to go any where, why would he? Most wives/players like Florida weather, plus he's on cup favorite team again this year.......I don't see any reason for him to waive. IMO it would be shocking to see him waive to go anywhere.

All you have to do is offersheet one of the players an amount that puts them over the 10% cap max and they would be unable to match without first moving money out.

A $6 million offersheet to Cirelli right now would pretty much screw them over.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I thought he was older than 30... in my head that he's still injury prone but guess not - so yes you're right.

Maybe they can move McDonagh - but yeah, they are in a bind. Both Foote and Raddysh are aging out of their entry level contracts...

They will need a 3-way trade... I doubt either guy is going to sign an offer sheet to come to Winnipeg ha

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
All you have to do is offersheet one of the players an amount that puts them over the 10% cap max and they would be unable to match without first moving money out.

A $6 million offersheet to Cirelli right now would pretty much screw them over.

Offer sheets virtually don’t happen, last one done by the Habs was nothing more then a publicity stunt by their GM regarding Aho. It was even a serious attempt

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
None of those TBL guys imo will sign an offer-sheet.

play in TB, FLA vs WPG?

perennial cup contender vs ???

no-state income tax, great weather, more stuff to do etc. it'd have to be a vast overpay for them to sign.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
None of those TBL guys imo will sign an offer-sheet.

play in TB, FLA vs WPG?

perennial cup contender vs ???

no-state income tax, great weather, more stuff to do etc. it'd have to be a vast overpay for them to sign.

Florida and Dallas are probably the only contenders for an offer sheet - they have capspace

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Florida and Dallas are probably the only contenders for an offer sheet - they have capspace
not sure if i consider FLA a contender. i don't see dallas having cap space according to cap friendly.

dallas also has to be careful on how much long-term contracts they get into with heiskanen needing a significant raise next year

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
not sure if i consider FLA a contender. i don't see dallas having cap space according to cap friendly.

dallas also has to be careful on how much long-term contracts they get into with heiskanen needing a significant raise next year

Dallas has no cap space so they aren't a contender for an os. We aren't either with our remaining cap space.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
these are the actual teams that can present a 6m o/s given their draft picks

upload_2020-11-26_12-3-30.png

of these teams

ANH, BOS, CGY, CAR, COL, DAL, MIN, MTL, NYI, NYR, SJS, STL, VAN and WPG have under 3M in cap-space or their own high-profile RFAs to sign

so that leaves, OTT, LA, DET, PHI, NSH, FLA, CBJ as viable O/S options?

Would you rather play in TBL for a bit less money for a little while and a chance to win cups or more money on teams that likely aren't close to win a cup?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
these are the actual teams that can present a 6m o/s given their draft picks

View attachment 377401

of these teams

ANH, BOS, CGY, CAR, COL, DAL, MIN, MTL, NYI, NYR, SJS, STL, VAN and WPG have under 3M in cap-space or their own high-profile RFAs to sign

so that leaves, OTT, LA, DET, PHI, NSH, FLA, CBJ as viable O/S options?

Would you rather play in TBL for a bit less money for a little while and a chance to win cups or more money on teams that likely aren't close to win a cup?

That depends how much the cash discrepancy is. These players also have a cup now so winning one may not take precedence over getting paid now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That depends how much the cash discrepancy is. These players also have a cup now so winning one may not take precedence over getting paid now.
im sure living in TB/FLA with a yearly chance to win the cup beats making a 1-3m more (depending on tax etc) for a couple years while playing for DET/LA/OTT for instance.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Who knows maybe he starts the season on LTIR. If there is a season. Lightning can move Killorn, he'd be the player Yzerman would likely want, to play with Raymond. Put Stamkos on LTIR, and there is room for decent contracts for both Cirelli and Cernak. I think that is how St. Louis is going to have to sign Vince Dunn, by putting Tarasenko on LTIR. Defer salary for when you need it most, as their is no Cap limit once the playoffs are on.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Who knows maybe he starts the season on LTIR. If there is a season. Lightning can move Killorn, he'd be the player Yzerman would likely want, to play with Raymond. Put Stamkos on LTIR, and there is room for decent contracts for both Cirelli and Cernak. I think that is how St. Louis is going to have to sign Vince Dunn, by putting Tarasenko on LTIR. Defer salary for when you need it most, as their is no Cap limit once the playoffs are on.
I'm curious why you think Yzerman would most want Killorn to play with Raymond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad