Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Couldn't agree more to the bolded and thought of that comparison before. A pure play maker that can find Laine in a multitude of ways would be ideal, especially if Ehlers remained on the other wing to help tilt the ice towards the offensive zone.

Either that or we could trade Laine to a team who has Adam Oates and we get Cam Neely type back. :popcorn::laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean we have our own case study here in Scheifele with regards to scoring on good and bad teams. Scheife produced just as well this past year where the team was worse in terms of metrics then Buffalo was as he did back in 17-18 where the Jets were elite.

I find caliber of the team doesn't much impact a star players scoring unless that player is playing with absolute duds as linemates. That wasn't the case for Jack and Buffalo has some good top talent, they lack defense and depth.

I fond usage and systems to be bigger factors in production. Maurice and Krueger are two peas in a pod as far as philosophy and systems are concerned so there wouldn't be a change there.

Usage is obviously a big factor. So are linemates. If Eichel hadn't been able to have good linemates in Buffalo then changing teams would make a bigger difference. Jets D was probably even worse at moving the puck last year than Buffalo's, or they were about the same.

Eichel is a better player than Scheifele. He will score more than Scheif. But I don't think his scoring would explode.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Usage is obviously a big factor. So are linemates. If Eichel hadn't been able to have good linemates in Buffalo then changing teams would make a bigger difference. Jets D was probably even worse at moving the puck last year than Buffalo's, or they were about the same.

Eichel is a better player than Scheifele. He will score more than Scheif. But I don't think his scoring would explode.

Like I said I expect he'd score 5 to 10 more points per year the Mark. To me that isn't worth the extra 3.9 million in cap space.

No disagreements hes better but I think we are effectively a better team with Mark and an extra $4 million if used correctly.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Even if Eichel remains a 80-90 points (pace) player as a Jet, his value at 10M will be better than Laine's unless he signs for like 6-7M long-term.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Imo the damage is done with laine. Let’s just make sure we get something great for him.

You could be right there, but I think it is premature to jump to that conclusion. We got a pretty soft suggestion of a trade from an agent. That is quite a way short of a trade request, which would still be short of a trade demand. Apparently, he was just upset at hearing his name mentioned in trade rumours. If that is all it is, then surely that fence can be mended pretty easily.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Couldn't agree more to the bolded and thought of that comparison before. A pure play maker that can find Laine in a multitude of ways would be ideal, especially if Ehlers remained on the other wing to help tilt the ice towards the offensive zone.
I was excited when we got perfetti after reading how he sees the ice. I'm hoping that the timing clicks and we get to see him on a line with laine.

Shief is a shooter - which is maybe a reason why he may not love playing with laine, who is also shoot-first. Could also be why laine was dishing so much last year when they played together, sometimes to a fault

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Like I said I expect he'd score 5 to 10 more points per year the Mark. To me that isn't worth the extra 3.9 million in cap space.

No disagreements hes better but I think we are effectively a better team with Mark and an extra $4 million if used correctly.

Eichel + Reinhart = 15.2 mil
Scheifele + Laine = 12.875
Difference = 2.675
Reinhart's raise next year will be smaller than Laine's.

I think the scoring difference would be at least 10. Eichel is just entering his peak years. I still expect at least a little growth. I think Scheifele is pretty much what he is going to be. Then there is the defensive difference, the age difference and the term difference. Hard to imagine packages much closer.

I'm not advocating this trade except if it is forced by the players. But under those circumstances, it looks very even to me.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Difference = 2.675

I think the scoring difference would be at least 10. Eichel is just entering his peak years. I still expect at least a little growth. I think Scheifele is pretty much what he is going to be. Then there is the defensive difference, the age difference and the term difference. Hard to imagine packages much closer.

I'm not advocating this trade except if it is forced by the players. But under those circumstances, it looks very even to me.

I agree -
And I can see Cole stepping to the 2nd C role not that far down the road and that would also take some pressure of both centers.
The thing with Eichel is he's still young and would be in prime time when Cole gets his opportunity - that could be a very nice 1/2 punch in the top 6.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Difference = 2.675

I would rather just use Laine to try to get the number 1 RD we need. But that is just me.

Also the fact that Reinhart will be one year from. UFA when his contract is up and can just arb his way out isn't something I am keen on.

I think I prefer the Bruins Carlo, DeBrusk and a futures deal more for Laine. Fills a couple of holes with some quality young players and will also add some future assets to the system.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I would rather just use Laine to try to get the number 1 RD we need. But that is just me.

Also the fact that Reinhart will be one year from. UFA when his contract is up and can just arb his way out isn't something I am keen on.

I think I prefer the Bruins Carlo, DeBrusk and a futures deal more for Laine. Fills a couple of holes with some quality young players and will also add some future assets to the system.

I think the Boston deal would be off the table at this point - it's very rare for a player to re-sign and then be traded a little later in that offseason. They're usually moved and then signed by their new teams.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the Boston deal would be off the table at this point - it's very rare for a player to re-sign and then be traded a little later in that offseason. They're usually moved and then signed by their new teams.

I could see that for a big name player but a young player on a bridge deal i dont see it being an ipedment.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I could see that for a big name player but a young player on a bridge deal i dont see it being an ipedment.

I think with a flat cap it makes it even more unlikely. I don't think it rules it out, but I don't think a team would negotiate with a player and sign him to a multi year deal and then move him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Boston is also is not shy about going big in the trade market from time to time. They have twice traded away young #1 centers in Thornton and Seguin as well as a young budding top pairing defenseman in Hamilton. Teams like Boston, Philly and the Rangers never seem to be scared of the big trade as they are confident they can always get players that want to play there.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Boston is also is not shy about going big in the trade market from time to time. They have twice traded away young #1 centers in Thornton and Seguin as well as a young budding top pairing defenseman in Hamilton. Teams like Boston, Philly and the Rangers never seem to be scared of the big trade as they are confident they can always get players that want to play there.

Well being in a desirable market with a lot of history definitely helps.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think with a flat cap it makes it even more unlikely. I don't think it rules it out, but I don't think a team would negotiate with a player and sign him to a multi year deal and then move him.

Very possible. I doubt the Jets even trade Laine this season now. I think they try to leverage his chemistry with Stastney to get him a big year and then move him next offseason.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets would have 2 years of Reinhart and 6 years of Eichel. Jets have 3 years of Laine and 4 years of Chef.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If samberg can’t play that severely weakens our D and they should sell off Laine and right before playoffs sell off Wheeler.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How do you sell off Wheeler? He has a full NMC.
He’ll waive it when he sees it might be his last chance to win a cup with another team the way Stastny did and other players have in the past. IMOfor most of them one more chance at a cup is worth it since he’ll see WPG can’t be contenders during his window. I also expect he’ll retire to the states. So if he can go to where he most likely want to live after his career ding ding ding.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He’ll waive it when he sees it might be his last chance to win a cup with another team the way Stastny did and other players have in the past. IMOfor most of them one more chance at a cup is worth it since he’ll see WPG can’t be contenders during his window. I also expect he’ll retire to the states. So if he can go to where he most likely want to live after his career ding ding ding.
He has 3 more years after this and he has a young family and a wife with strong ties to the community. If he ever waived it will be a hand selected landing spot and we would get a couple pennies on the dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad