Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I’m first!

Don’t trade Laine

(mod OT content)

I don’t think anyone wants to trade Laine, but Chevy might be forced to by Laine or cap issues & other bigger needs that have to be filled. TBD

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don’t think anyone wants to trade Laine, but Chevy might be forced to by Laine or cap issues & other bigger needs that have to be filled. TBD
I think this is quite the inaccurate take. There seems to be several people who want to trade Laine; sometimes it is being brought up for one of the reasons you've mentioned — to fill needs.

Reactions: DeWho and PhilJets

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think this is quite the inaccurate take. There seems to be several people who want to trade Laine; sometimes it is being brought up for one of the reasons you've mentioned — to fill needs.

Wanting to trade a guy vs acknowledging we have a couple significant needs that have to be filled are very different things.

I don’t remember anyone saying I want Laine gone regardless......I and others have said pre draft especially that we have a couple big needs that are likely bigger or more critical then adding another big cap winger.......but even then that’s not saying we want Laine gone.....that’s just saying it might be a necessary step to fill those big needs.

At this point, post draft and post signing DeMelo, post Stastny trade......now the only reason IMO to trade Laine is if you can find a trade that makes the team better overall (Not including a Laine trade demand or cap reasons). I have no idea if any trade exists out there like that but that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wanting to trade a guy vs acknowledging we have a couple significant needs that have to be filled are very different things.

I don’t remember anyone saying I want Laine gone regardless......I and others have said pre draft especially that we have a couple big needs that are likely bigger or more critical then adding another big cap winger.......but even then that’s not saying we want Laine gone.....that’s just saying it might be a necessary step to fill those big needs.

At this point, post draft and post signing DeMelo, post Stastny trade......now the only reason IMO to trade Laine is if you can find a trade that makes the team better overall (Not including a Laine trade demand or cap reasons). I have no idea if any trade exists out there like that but that’s just my opinion.
There are certainly people out there who WANT to trade Laine (say over Connor or Ehlers) because he will return the most (theoretically). But now we're just arguing semantics.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
There are certainly people out there who WANT to trade Laine (say over Connor or Ehlers) because he will return the most (theoretically). But now we're just arguing semantics.

Oh I agree there are some who have said no doubt to fill needs or cap reasons Laine should be traded........but again I don’t see that as saying people want Laine traded....just people saying if we’re forced to trade one of the young wingers it’s likely Laine. One reason is filling A need or averting a problem.......second reason is insinuating that don’t like Laine on the team.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Oh I agree there are some who have said no doubt to fill needs or cap reasons Laine should be traded........but again I don’t see that as saying people want Laine traded....just people saying if we’re forced to trade one of the young wingers it’s likely Laine. One reason is filling A need or averting a problem.......second reason is insinuating that don’t like Laine on the team.
I don’t think that’s insinuating people don’t want Laine on the team. And there probably is someone out there who doesn’t want him on the Jets. Agree to disagree.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I would think that with DeMelo being signed 4 years, Morrissey signed long term, Heinola and Samberg likely being NHL ready this upcoming season or next, eliminates trading Laine for a defenseman unless it's for a #1 defenseman that most teams are loath to give up. Not to mention we have a few depth prospects on D working their way up. Pionk isn't mentioned because I think he'll be asking for more $$ on his next contract than he's worth (opinion only).
Perfetti may be skilled enough to play 1/2C despite size questions at that position. which would eliminate trading Laine for a top 6 C. We are likely a year away from seeing if that is true, but in the mean time the Jets have Stastny.

At this point with possible solutions at both D and C so close to making the Jets roster, I don't see a reason to trade Laine to fill perceived holes. If Perfetti is unable to play C at the NHL level and Laine contract demands are beyond what the team is comfortable paying, then I can see trading him. I simply see no reason to trade him now.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would think that with DeMelo being signed 4 years, Morrissey signed long term, Heinola and Samberg likely being NHL ready this upcoming season or next, eliminates trading Laine for a defenseman unless it's for a #1 defenseman that most teams are loath to give up. Not to mention we have a few depth prospects on D working their way up. Pionk isn't mentioned because I think he'll be asking for more $$ on his next contract than he's worth (opinion only).
Perfetti may be skilled enough to play 1/2C despite size questions at that position. which would eliminate trading Laine for a top 6 C. We are likely a year away from seeing if that is true, but in the mean time the Jets have Stastny.

At this point with possible solutions at both D and C so close to making the Jets roster, I don't see a reason to trade Laine to fill perceived holes. If Perfetti is unable to play C at the NHL level and Laine contract demands are beyond what the team is comfortable paying, then I can see trading him. I simply see no reason to trade him now.

Completely agree. The draft, signing DeMelo and getting Stastny virtually eliminated all need to trade Laine to fill needs. Now Laine could still be traded if Laine forced it or contract/cap concerns.....both reasons would be disappointing but might happen we don’t know.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Completely agree. The draft, signing DeMelo and getting Stastny virtually eliminated all need to trade Laine to fill needs. Now Laine could still be traded if Laine forced it or contract/cap concerns.....both reasons would be disappointing but might happen we don’t know.

Indeed! I especially don’t see him traded this offseason. This will probably be the best season situationally for Laine since he was drafted. He either plays with Scheifele, a top Center in the NHL, or he plays with Stastny, a predominantly playmaking center that he’s had success with in the past. Let him score 50 goals this year and be in a great position either way next summer.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think we still need an upgrade at RD. I wanted DeMelo to play with Morrissey this season but I don't think he is a legit 1st pairing Dman.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think we still need an upgrade at RD. I wanted DeMelo to play with Morrissey this season but I don't think he is a legit 1st pairing Dman.

I agree that we don't have a top pairing RHD.......but TBH I'm not sure I Would want to pay the cost to get one either.......b/c it's likely starts at Laine or Laine+ assuming the D was similar age as Laine. If we could get a older top pairing guy (late 20's or very early 30's cheaper then maybe the price is cheaper like Pionk+ or something similar value.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

That upgrade is likely to be expensive and probably not worth the cost it would take.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Ironically, with wheeler aging and rosie wanting a change of scenery, our biggest hole long term would be the very one we create by trading him - RW.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

If it’s due to cap space, you trade someone else. Simple as that. Laine is going to come in this season with a MASSIVE chip on his shoulder this TC and it should be with the Jets.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If it’s due to cap space, you trade someone else. Simple as that. Laine is going to come in this season with a MASSIVE chip on his shoulder this TC and it should be with the Jets.

I hope so too. But I also hope that Carolina drafted Seth Jarvis because they wanted Laine, and are ready to deal after Laine has a golden year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is easy to say move someone else, but an overpay is still an over pay on your cap. The Leafs paying their top 3 forwards over $33 M has almost completely limited their ability to build a balanced team.

Reactions: Jets 31

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It is easy to say move someone else, but an overpay is still an over pay on your cap. The Leafs paying their top 3 forwards over $33 M has almost completely limited their ability to build a balanced team.

Plus until Laine signs long term at a fair contract........it makes it nearly impossible to trade KC or Ehlers. I doubt the Jets want Wheeler, Ehlers, KC and Laine all signed long term at big cap hits when we have other needs. If Laine is willing to sign long term at a fair rate, then something will have to give with one of Ehlers/KC/Laine..........b/c Wheeler isn't being traded (IMO).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Plus until Laine signs long term at a fair contract........it makes it nearly impossible to trade KC or Ehlers. I doubt the Jets want Wheeler, Ehlers, KC and Laine all signed long term at big cap hits when we have other needs. If Laine is willing to sign long term at a fair rate, then something will have to give with one of Ehlers/KC/Laine..........b/c Wheeler isn't being traded (IMO).
Even if Laine signs at a fair rate we still are very heavy on winger salaries. Not impossible to overcome but few GM's would set out with a team building strategy of spending close to 40% of your cap on your 4 top 6 wingers.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Even if Laine signs at a fair rate we still are very heavy on winger salaries. Not impossible to overcome but few GM's would set out with a team building strategy of spending close to 40% of your cap on your 4 top 6 wingers.

Agreed.....that’s why I say something will have to give with one of the young wingers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree that we don't have a top pairing RHD.......but TBH I'm not sure I Would want to pay the cost to get one either.......b/c it's likely starts at Laine or Laine+ assuming the D was similar age as Laine. If we could get a older top pairing guy (late 20's or very early 30's cheaper then maybe the price is cheaper like Pionk+ or something similar value.

It wouldn't be Laine + unless you are aiming at an elite 1RD. I don't see needing to go that far. It would be Laine for the D +. But the problem is still finding the right trade partner. The deal has to do something for them as well as us. Win/win is tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad