Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
What do you guys think happens with Jack R?

- Resigns? If yes what does the deal look like?

- Traded? If yes for what? Top 4 LHD? Draft except futures? Etc?

- Your opinions?
I can't see us getting much at all in return for Roslo.
Small, hasn't scored alot, not great defensively.
I'd say a 2nd round pick or a B prospect at the most.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
IMO
Why trade him?
Harkins Roslo Apples is a perfect 3rd line and Gus Lowry Copper can be the 4th line.

MP should be the one riding the pine this year.

I’ve always thought the following C deployment would work well:

Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Wheeler Stastny Connor
Appleton/Harkins Copp Roslovic
Appleton/Harkins Lowry Perrault/Ves

Set up the wings how you want it but that is pretty decent depth down the middle and would give us 4 pretty damn competitive lines.

Top line would be fun as hell and productive, 2nd line would be vanilla but solid... third line could see some solid offensive chops and 4th line could ACTUALLY be used more than 6 minutes a night.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
IMO

I’ve always thought the following C deployment would work well:

Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Wheeler Stastny Connor
Appleton/Harkins Copp Roslovic
Appleton/Harkins Lowry Perrault/Ves

Set up the wings how you want it but that is pretty decent depth down the middle and would give us 4 pretty damn competitive lines.

Top line would be fun as hell and productive, 2nd line would be vanilla but solid... third line could see some solid offensive chops and 4th line could ACTUALLY be used more than 6 minutes a night.
I like Copp and Lowry together and would try Rosie and Harkins as the 3c otherwise makes sense.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They’re good together but they’re also good apart. They’re both strong enough to carry their own lone. Split them up and the team is better for it.
I think Harkins Vesalainen and Roslovic will have better offensive chops than Copp and think they are fine if played in their right position. I think Harkins could be a great 3c as I think he has good D and would be a great playmaker.

Reactions: RabidOne

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lowry wasn't good without Copp last year, hopefully that was just an outlier year.

There's no Bourque to weigh him down this year.

Pretty good chance Maurice goes back to his Copp-Lowry tandem, but I am not sure Roslovic will be the 3rd wheel. I wouldn't mind seeing Harkins instead of Roslovic there, as Copp can play either wing. Harkins brought a lot of pace to whichever line he played on. And looked good on Lowry's wing against Calgary.

That would leave a 4th line of Perreault-Thompson-Appleton, and you'd think that Thompson and Apples would be your 2nd PK unit, based on metrics.

After that Vesalainen-Gustafsson as prospective reserves, and you have Toninato, Suess, Reichel, Dano, and Mc Kenzie for depth, which is kind of thin. If Roslovic is asking for too much, through Claude Lemieux, who managed to get $1.55 million for his son this offseason, I think the Jets will move him, hard to say who would be a suitor or what the return would be though. But I don't expect Lemieux to be an easy agent to negotiate with.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Lowry wasn't good without Copp last year, hopefully that was just an outlier year.
Didn’t Lowry play with press box players last year when he was away from Copp? That how I remember it anyways, that would explain why Lowry was so bad away from him.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Always good to have a veteran bring along a younger player, Killorn plays the complete two way game, which would help Raymond play his game. If Detroit ever gets their defense going in the right direction they'll start to climb out of the bottom. Seider, Cholowski, Hronek and Mac Isaac have some potential.
I see...thanks for explaining. I just found it strange of all people, Killorn would be singled out, but I guess he's rumored to be available plus has Yzerman ties. I see your angle now, thanks.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Some rumours Barzal & NYI having some difficulty coming to a deal on a contract. Rumours they may of been a couple teams placing serious trade offers for him with the NYI. Of course very likely a deal gets done between NYI & Barzal, but let's say they can't get a deal done.

What would you offer for Barzal? Laine straight up?

Both players need a new deal between this year & next. Similar age, both have potential to grow, one is a centre, the other scores more goals. Laine contract buys NYI one more year to get cap in order before any big deal is signed.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Some rumours Barzal & NYI having some difficulty coming to a deal on a contract. Rumours they may of been a couple teams placing serious trade offers for him with the NYI. Of course very likely a deal gets done between NYI & Barzal, but let's say they can't get a deal done.

Both players need a new deal between this year & next. Similar age, both have potential to grow, one is a centre, the other scores more goals. Laine contract buys NYI one more year to get cap in order before any big deal is signed.
We add, but not sure what. That leaves a gaping hole at C for them, we have nobody to offer

Connor barzal ehlers

That would be a spectacular line to watch wheel around

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

I would not be opposed to trading Laine for Barzal and running Perfetti on the wing.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

The thing would be, if Islanders can't get him signed, how likely are we going to be able to? What does he want? 5 X $9? Given that he is the exact 2C that we're looking for I would go Laine + Roslovic for Barzal.

Our forwards would be gross:

upload_2020-11-30_9-12-42.png

Then Perfetti can be a C or a W.

I'd do it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Jets would need to add more to get Barzal. I would trade Laine straight up for Barzal, for sure.

I would doubt that NYI would consider trading Barzal for a winger. My guess is that they would be exploring a trade for another top C, if at all. I wonder if something around Eichel and Barzal might be in the cards?

If the Jets are in the picture, then I think it would have to be a bigger deal and the Jets might need to consider putting Perfetti into the mix. Maybe something like Laine / Perfetti for Barzal / Dobson, maybe. I wouldn't do that, from the Jets' perspective.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

does NYI have enough space for Laine's current cap hit, and his new deal thereafter? id do Laine for Barzal straight up

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Would move Laine for Barzal, and would add a little if necessary, but wouldn't add a ton more.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Jets would need to add more to get Barzal. I would trade Laine straight up for Barzal, for sure.

I would doubt that NYI would consider trading Barzal for a winger. My guess is that they would be exploring a trade for another top C, if at all. I wonder if something around Eichel and Barzal might be in the cards?

If the Jets are in the picture, then I think it would have to be a bigger deal and the Jets might need to consider putting Perfetti into the mix. Maybe something like Laine / Perfetti for Barzal / Dobson, maybe. I wouldn't do that, from the Jets' perspective.

Yes certainly Eichel for Barzal as a base certainly makes more sense to NYI then Laine+ for Barzal does.......but that's no fun for Jets fans. Haha

Having said that, Laine & Jack R for Barzal?

NYI - Centre position becomes weaker assuming Jack plays C on NYI, but they get significantly stronger on the wing.

Jets - Jets get stronger at C but weaker at the wing.

I agree highly doubt NYI would do it, just don't trade 1C for a 1st line winger. Same likely could be said teams doubtful trading a 1D for a 1st line winger.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'd give up Laine and a first fairly easily for him. That would give us elite center depth for next year.

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Conner Barzal Roslovic
Perfetti/Harkins Stastney Vesalainen
Copp Lowry Appelton

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes certainly Eichel for Barzal as a base certainly makes more sense to NYI then Laine+ for Barzal does.......but that's no fun for Jets fans. Haha

Having said that, Laine & Jack R for Barzal?

NYI - Centre position becomes weaker assuming Jack plays C on NYI, but they get significantly stronger on the wing.

Jets - Jets get stronger at C but weaker at the wing.

I agree highly doubt NYI would do it, just don't trade 1C for a 1st line winger. Same likely could be said teams doubtful trading a 1D for a 1st line winger.
I don't think Laine with a modest add like Roslovic would be near enough for a young budding star #1 center. I think the necessary add would have most Jets fans saying no.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think Laine with a modest add like Roslovic would be near enough for a young budding star #1 center. I think the necessary add would have most Jets fans saying no.

I would peg Barzal in the Carter/Richards caliber of number 1 centers.

Both returned a good young winger and futures.

I fail to see how a Laine and a 1st package isn't equivilant/better then the

Simmonds, Schenn and a 2nd package that got Richards or the Voracheck and a 1st package that got Carter.

I think a package of Laine and a good future piece like a first is very fair value given what has been traded for 1C's in the past. Barzal isn't Eichel.

Having said that I see the Islanders giving him what he wants over moving him. You don't get cheap with 2 way number 1 centers. He was never going to sign for the $7.5 million Lou wants him inked for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Simmonds, Schenn and a 2nd package that got Richards or the Voracheck and a 1st package that got Carter.

I think a package of Laine and a good future piece like a first is very fair value given what has been traded for 1C's in the past. Barzal isn't Eichel.

I agree Eichel > Barzal, no question.

Laine & late 1st is likely roughly equal value in a bubble to Barzal.......but the question isn't just about value it's also about fit. Normally a guy like Laine wouldn't land a similar aged 1C in any straight up trade or even with adds to Laine. But in this case Barzal and NYI might be having contract arguments that are hard to solve, plus a question could be raised similar to Laine is that do either guy want to stay where they currently are without being paid top money. We know Laine legal representation has already suggested a trade is best, I wonder what Barzal is thinking privately. NYI has Nelson who is better suited as a 2C, but could play at 1C. NYI far would want Eichel more then Laine......but if Sabres aren't trading Eichel......then maybe Laine, Jack & 2nd might get their attn as far as value goes even if it's not the best fit wise.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Having said that I see the Islanders giving him what he wants over moving him. You don't get cheap with 2 way number 1 centers. He was never going to sign for the $7.5 million Lou wants him inked for.
IMO the NYI will value him like the 90-100 point top 10 center he was on the path of becoming after his Calder winning 85 point rookie season. Maybe even more after he bought into playing Trotz's defensive first system at the cost of his personal stats.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IMO the NYI will value him like the 90-100 point top 10 center he was on the path of becoming after his Calder winning 85 point rookie season. Maybe even more after he bought into playing Trotz's defensive first system at the cost of his personal stats.

Then the Jets will value Laine as the 50 goal ppg winger he was on the path to becoming before Mauroce started working on turning him into a more rounded player.

Also if that is what they value him as then give him the 9 to 10 million he wants.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I don't think we'd be good trading partners for Barzal. They'd likely want a C. Which means Schiefele, or possibly Laine + Perfetti as starting points.

I believe Barzal is still an RFA, so they likely just go through arbitration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad