Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Package for Dumba?

A couple of options...

Copp + Samberg for Dumba + Pitt's 1st
Sign Oleksiak as UFA
Protect Appleton, maybe sign Armia as UFA.

Connor-Scheifele-Armia
Ehlers-PLD-Wheeler
Perfetti-Lowry-Appleton
Toninato-Gus-Vesalainen

Oleksiak-Pionk
Morrissey-Dumba
Heinola-DeMelo

I like it. I think it gives us three good pairings and a good forward core. Not sure I want Perfetti on the third but hard to put him into the top 6 if we get another RW with Armia.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
All the more reason to hope both Ves and Cole can step up and play in two key slots next year.

I think if both can we don't lose much upfront.

Ideally we can get contributions from all three and compete for the Cup next year :nod:

Copp isnt the calibre of player we need to trade for a (possibly) late 2nd

Just use him as an own rental if we cant extend him or use him to improve the defense?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ideally we can get contributions from all three and compete for the Cup next year :nod:

Copp isnt the calibre of player we need to trade for a (possibly) late 2nd

Just use him as an own rental if we cant extend him or use him to improve the defense?

You definitely have to get something good for Copp.

I think him plus something for a dmen is the way to go.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think Copp is the best/most likely piece to move for a D upgrade but I think it's sort of hampered by him becoming an UFA next season and I'm sure teams would want clarity on what he wants to do before trading for him, or at least deciding WHAT to move for him.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

If that works, great for us. But I'm not that upset about not picking up a mid to late 2nd for a guy we can just use and let go if the price is too rich in the summer.

I think getting what you can back for a guy like Trouba is a different story. He is worth more to us than most other teams I think.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Honestly, Copp is probably easily worth a 1st to a contender at the trade deadline, where picks tend to be undervalued.

Copp is far better than Foligno, who went for a 1st. Savard (yes, he’s a defenceman, but still) isn’t very good and he’s an upcoming UFA and he went for a 1st. Years ago Paul Gaustad went for a 1st.

I know Goodrow had an extra year on his contract, but he’s not even a third of the player Copp is and he went for 1st too.

There’s plenty of evidence to suggest Copp would return more than just a 2nd at the deadline, so if that’s all that’s being offered now I doubt you see a trade. But I figure teams would offer more for Copp because he’s very valuable.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Copp is the best/most likely piece to move for a D upgrade but I think it's sort of hampered by him becoming an UFA next season and I'm sure teams would want clarity on what he wants to do before trading for him, or at least deciding WHAT to move for him.
Not sure he gives anyone clarity in advance. That is certainly not his agents normal approach to doing business.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure he gives anyone clarity in advance. That is certainly not his agents normal approach to doing business.

Hard to know if he would or not. He most certainly did with Trouba who just wanted to go to New York. I'm not sure how things went down with some of his other clients he brokered moves with in Turris and Johanensen in the past.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd add that Detroit does have other options as high draft pedigree RHD. You typically wouldn't trade away your most likely option to get that though. There are teams out there, with Detroit being one of them, that I think we should target for a prospect trade because they have a glut of RHD.

Detroit has Hronek (23), Lindstrom (22), Newpower (23), Barton (22) and Seider (20).

They are likely banking on a top 4 containing Seider and Hronek long term so if we liked one of the other 3 and thought they had top pair potential we should target them instead. Lindstrom played 13 NHL games this year. How did he look? Newpower was an undrafted free agent signing but is from Minnesota. How did he look in the AHL this year?

We should be sniffing around teams like the Rangers, Sens, Islanders and Tampa Bay too.

I don't think it's Seider or bust out there and he isn't a sure thing to pan out. I just don't see why Detroit would trade him unless they felt very confident in their other prospects and we were giving them PLD or Perfetti+. It would have to be an offer they couldn't refuse right now to get them to pull the trigger which means a massive overpay.

I don't think any of the others have top pair potential. Hronek looks like he can be a solid 2nd pairing guy. Alex Cotten could be worth targeting as he has some upside. At this point Seider is their best bet for a #1 RHD. So it's highly unlikely they move him unless he's not showing signs of becoming that player and at that point we probably don't want him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hard to know if he would or not. He most certainly did with Trouba who just wanted to go to New York. I'm not sure how things went down with some of his other clients he brokered moves with in Turris and Johanensen in the past.
If an organization that Copp wants to go to, likely in the USA with a good tax environment is willing to pay towards the high end that Copp can get if he goes to UFA status then sure overcharge will talk. But he won’t be doing Chevy any favours.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If you believe this (I do) then you must believe that position matters on draft day.

There's a strong consensus on this board that position is irrelevant at the draft. It isn't.

I think if all things are equal you go for the best player but if you see a strong piece that you don't have and a slightly stronger piece that you have an abundance of you should definitely think about it.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If an organization that Copp wants to go to, likely in the USA with a good tax environment is willing to pay towards the high end that Copp can get if he goes to UFA status then sure overcharge will talk. But he won’t be doing Chevy any favours.

Of course not but you also wonder if there might be pressure for Copp to capitalize on his career year to maximize his earnings now. If he goes back down to a 25-30 point player next year he losses a lot of leverage.

That might make his camp more open to discussing a long term deal prior to any trade.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Of course not but you also wonder if there might be pressure for Copp to capitalize on his career year to maximize his earnings now. If he goes back down to a 25-30 point player next year he losses a lot of leverage.

That might make his camp more open to discussing a long term deal prior to any trade.
From what I have seen if a player has made their way to the edge of UFA status they usually bet on themselves and try to maximize money and go where they want.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From what I have seen if a player has made their way to the edge of UFA status they usually bet on themselves and try to maximize money and go where they want.

For most top players that is indeed true but for the ones in the mushy middle like Copp you have to think there is more strategy involved in the decision making. We have seen UFA be very kind and very unkind to players of his caliber depending on how the market unfolds. It will be a roll of the dice for him to risk not putting up another big season. It might be in his best interest to take a guaranteed $30-35 million if it's on the table from a team that will trade for him.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Honestly, Copp is probably easily worth a 1st to a contender at the trade deadline, where picks tend to be undervalued.

Copp is far better than Foligno, who went for a 1st. Savard (yes, he’s a defenceman, but still) isn’t very good and he’s an upcoming UFA and he went for a 1st. Years ago Paul Gaustad went for a 1st.

I know Goodrow had an extra year on his contract, but he’s not even a third of the player Copp is and he went for 1st too.

There’s plenty of evidence to suggest Copp would return more than just a 2nd at the deadline, so if that’s all that’s being offered now I doubt you see a trade. But I figure teams would offer more for Copp because he’s very valuable.

Copp is easily worth a mid to late 1st to a contender or any team with the cap space that believes they can sign him long term.

We got several good years of service out of him but he’s out priced himself. Time to recoup. Getting a 1st for a guy we picked in the 4th and developed is a good return.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For most top players that is indeed true but for the ones in the mushy middle like Copp you have to think there is more strategy involved in the decision making. We have seen UFA be very kind and very unkind to players of his caliber depending on how the market unfolds. It will be a roll of the dice for him to risk not putting up another big season. It might be in his best interest to take a guaranteed $30-35 million if it's on the table from a team that will trade for him.
But why does overcharge need to do that in advance? And most teams would prefer to pay the one year price over the 7 year price so why would the other GM want to do it and weaken their team needlessly. In markets that GMs know players want to be aren’t going to want to overpay when they believe they can sign the player anyways.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But why does overcharge need to do that in advance? And most teams would prefer to pay the one year price over the 7 year price so why would the other GM want to do it and weaken their team needlessly. In markets that GMs know players want to be aren’t going to want to overpay when they believe they can sign the player anyways.

As I said I doubt Overcharge does Chevy any favors. Chevy won't get a 7 year Copp price either I'm just saying Copp might be open to negotiating and taking money this summer vs. Letting the year play out. Clearly when Overhardt decides to open up neogotiations will depend on a number of factors most of which will have to do with what his client wants.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wouldn’t trade Samberg for an unsigned Dumba. Not even sure I do that for a signed Dumba.

I want Chevy to set his sights higher than Dumba, and then will need Samberg and his ELC contract and skill set to off set that acquisition.

I would move Stanley before I move Samberg in trade.

Dumba is inked for two more years and we only have two slots for our young LD.

I like Heinola more then Samberg and think he has higher upside. You then have Stanley that does a lot of what Samberg does.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
As I said I doubt Overcharge does Chevy any favors. Chevy won't get a 7 year Copp price either I'm just saying Copp might be open to negotiating and taking money this summer vs. Letting the year play out. Clearly when Overhardt decides to open up neogotiations will depend on a number of factors most of which will have to do with what his client wants.

I agree but as an RFA teams can talk to him and work out a contract and then trade for him knowing what the cost would be "for them" compared to what it might be somewhere else. Location, term, dollars, trade protection, role on the team, chance at winning, etc. It all factors into it so if Overhart knows that Copp wants to go to a certain destination, maybe the dollars don't have to be quite as much. i.e. say he has a chance to go back home to Michigan, wear a letter, play in the top 6. Well if he wants all those things maybe he takes a haircut on the contract to entice Detroit to make the trade for him.

Copp maybe could get the best of both worlds with a reasonable contract based off of his "contract year" performance with his preferred team of choice. If that is what he wants to do. Obviously neither the Jets, nor Copp, nor Overhart have any obligation but they all can play a role in any outcome.

Anyhow, I just want to fast forward a couple weeks to see how everything plays out.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He should be available - Montreal has a ton of right hand shots

As do I. :nod:

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad