GDT: Trade Deadline

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I am praying to god that Holland sleeps in tomorrow and skips trade deadline. I think he's doen enough damage this TL.

He was a good GM up until he decided trading was fun... and now just trades for the sake of trading. Wings don't need to mortgage their future.

The highlight of my day was when Yandle was traded and Holland dodged that bullet. I was feeling optimistic. We almost got through a trade deadline without a trade... then he wastes a 2nd on Cole. My god, why?????

Holland needs to just stop it.

Serious question. Do you want Holland to basically sit around with his thumb up his butt?

As much as these boards like our prospects, IMO they are a bunch of #3-6 defenseman in the NHL..If they hit their potential. The Wings aren't landing any big fish anytime soon, and to really compete in the playoffs..they need another top pairing defenseman.

No it's not Dekeyser. Marchenko won't sniff the top pair for awhile...if he is good enough. XO, Jensen. Same as the other guys. Smith...the guy who was supposed to usher in a new era of D-men for the Wings is barely a #6 guy.

The Wings' future looks bright in goal, maybe. The forwards look real promising. Defense will still be a weakness, even with these awesome prospects the boards seem to drool over. And once Kronwall is gone....eek. Pick out his flaws all you want, but he's holding that d-core together by being a #1 guy.

Does the system have a Kronwall replacement in the works? I don't think they do.

Trading will be the only option until they land that diamond in the rough. Who knows when that will be.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd rather eat the cap hit. Might force us to make some other moves (trading Quincey, Kindl) that I wouldn't mind.

Same. But we know the Wings won't want to pay their #2 defender a cap of 7 million. So they'll pay a bit more to cut that cost down so they can keep options open moving forward.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Dude, it's a second round pick...

Exactly. It is a 2nd round pick... a pick that Wings no longer have, in a deep draft no less.

For a 36 yr/old guy that's going to play a whopping 1.5 to 2 months if we're lucky?

If Wings make the SCF, I'll eat my words. But anything short of a ECF will be a great disappointment. That's the only way that 2nd will be worth it.

I doubt Wings make it past the 2nd round, sadly. And that's if they add (your choice of dman) here.

Why waste the pick. Makes no sense

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Exactly. It is a 2nd round pick... a pick that Wings no longer have, in a deep draft no less.

For a 36 yr/old guy that's going to play a whopping 1.5 to 2 months if we're lucky?

If Wings make the SCF, I'll eat my words. But anything short of a ECF will be a great disappointment. That's the only way that 2nd will be worth it.

I doubt Wings make it past the 2nd round, sadly. And that's if they add (your choice of dman) here.

If the Wings don't get to the ECF they get a third round pick it is sliding 20 spots at that point. So they have the same amount of picks they had yesterday if they don't get there. If you really love the second round and depth in this draft you should endorse us moving down from the first and collecting more picks.

People are getting way too obsessed with this years draft for me.

Look at our prospect pool, it is absolutely loaded, I don't even care if they move the first tomorrow, if that player stays with the team long-term.

With that said if you load up and pass on the picks this year I sing a different tune in terms of the 2016 draft, I don't like doing what New York is doing in the cap era. But the Wings are in a position to buy, they have more assets then they can hope to fit on the NHL team here shortly. Moving them for upgrades makes sense. The future is still bright, take a deep breathe, that 2nd round pick has less than half a chance of seeing the show anyway, not incredibly different than the player we are likely to find in the third anyway given our draft history should we falter before the ECF.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

Maybe because Holland believes he can draft well at any round?

There's plenty of other players we've drafted late and become something......

You need to sit back, and think about it. It's a solid trade.

Cole adds scoring, grit, net presence, leadership, and tremendous speed.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Maybe because Holland believes he can draft well at any round?

There's plenty of other players we've drafted late and become something......

You need to sit back, and think about it. It's a solid trade.

Cole adds scoring, grit, net presence, leadership, and tremendous speed[.

Just call up Cleary and keep the 2nd pick. Problem solved.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just call up Cleary and keep the 2nd pick. Problem solved.

A guy that has outscored Jamie Benn at a 5 on 5 per minutes clip and absolutely is a plus burner in terms of skating does add those things whether or not you want to believe that.

In fact those that are discrediting Erik Cole's skating are really harming any argument they want to make in this thread. It isn't debatable he still has that trait. Even if it is slightly slower it is a lot like Marleau in that regard, the guy just can skate and always will be a plus in that department.

Those are big adds over Cleary who by the way might have found his way back in the lineup with Babs looking for more net-front presence. Another reason to like this deal as it keeps him in the press box.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
A guy that has outscored Jamie Benn at a 5 on 5 per minutes clip

Sounds like Wings need Jason Spezza then.

In fact those that are discrediting Erik Cole's skating are really harming any argument they want to make in this thread. It isn't debatable he still has that trait. Even if it is slightly slower it is a lot like Marleau in that regard, the guy just can skate and always will be a plus in that department.

Those are big adds over Cleary who by the way might have found his way back in the lineup with Babs looking for more net-front presence. Another reason to like this deal as it keeps him in the press box.

Nobody here said such thing that I'm aware of.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004

...I take that challenge all day...Mike Green, =ECF--->>>>>---C*P

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Another GM in the league, who supposedly should have been hired here over Holland, just paid a fortune for Braydon Coburn

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
If the Wings don't get to the ECF they get a third round pick it is sliding 20 spots at that point. So they have the same amount of picks they had yesterday if they don't get there. If you really love the second round and depth in this draft you should endorse us moving down from the first and collecting more picks.

People are getting way too obsessed with this years draft for me.

Look at our prospect pool, it is absolutely loaded, I don't even care if they move the first tomorrow, if that player stays with the team long-term.

With that said if you load up and pass on the picks this year I sing a different tune in terms of the 2016 draft, I don't like doing what New York is doing in the cap era. But the Wings are in a position to buy, they have more assets then they can hope to fit on the NHL team here shortly. Moving them for upgrades makes sense. The future is still bright, take a deep breathe, that 2nd round pick has less than half a chance of seeing the show anyway, not incredibly different than the player we are likely to find in the third anyway given our draft history should we falter before the ECF.

Great post, exactly how I feel. Jurco, Pulks, Marchenko and Mrazek are all on the verge of being full time NHLers now. That just leaves Mantha, Larkin, Turgeon, Bertuzzi, AA2, Jensen and Sproul. Oh noes, the cupboard is bare, we can't afford to trade any picks! :sarcasm: Especially with all those holes on our roster :shakehead

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Another GM in the league, who supposedly should have been hired here over Holland, just paid a fortune for Braydon Coburn

He made out on the Connelly one but damn stevie got worked on the Coburn one.

Edit: At least he moved Gudas to Philly hated having to go up against him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He made out on the Connelly one but damn stevie got worked on the Coburn one.

Edit: At least he moved Gudas to Philly hated having to go up against him.

Having to only face Gudas twice a year is a win for Detroit. :laugh:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's a shame San Jose isn't further out of the playoff picture. Brent Burns could be available and is signed for two more seasons at $5.76M per year. I'd be willing to move a first round pick in a deal for him.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Finally ****'s getting interesting! The Jagr trade didn't do it for me this year.

As for Phaneuf we've seen Holland and co. very willing to make high profile moves. Essentially trading away Filppula and Hudler for Alfredsson and Weiss was a statement as the Wings moved to the EC. They approached Suter, and Bouwmeister, etc. they didn't pan out but the Wings were ready and willing.

I think Phaneuf is a star and proven to be a generational talent. Ok may be on the lower spectrum but the guy is the captain of the TML. It may not have succeed but he was chosen for a reason and is absolutely an impact player. I guarantee he was on Babcock's list! :laugh:

I have no idea if this will happen or not, but I get a strong sense the Wings are crazy enough to do it. Toronto is desperate in a complete meltdown, it is a unique opportunity. The Wings are building a new stadium and preparing for a next generation in 2 years. They are thinking of a team identity for years to come, I wonder if they believe Dion could fit.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman has built a hell of team that's gonna contend for a long time. They had two first round picks anyways. I swear people get more excited over picks and prospects than opportunity to win the cup.

Yzerman had learned from the best GM in the game, but he also inherited a team with damn good players and picks. Lets be real.

They also only made the playoffs 1 time the past 3 years...

They are a good team, but not worthy of the hype they tend to get around here. DRWs will likely end the season with more points than them . And I'm confident DRWs would beat them in a best of 7 (healthy vs healthy).

Regardless, doesn't change the fact that Yzerman got fleeced tonight.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

You must mean that gm that rebuilt his defense to one of the deepest in the league from one of the worst in little over a year while Holland has done **** all with his except adding kfq since losing rafi and lids. Yea great gm to bring up. :laugh:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yzerman has built a hell of team that's gonna contend for a long time. They had two first round picks anyways. I swear people get more excited over picks and prospects than opportunity to win the cup.

I don't think anyone is criticizing the assets he gave up. The problem was the return wasn't that great. I mean, I don't think Braydon Coburn is that great. I still think they should trade for a veteran backup in case Bishop falters.

You must mean that gm that rebuilt his defense to one of the deepest in the league from one of the worst in little over a year while Holland has done **** all with his except adding kfq since losing rafi and lids. Yea great gm to bring up. :laugh:

Helps when you inherent a player like Hedman to build around. I still don't think their defense is all that great outside of him and Stralman, who has been solid. Carle and Brewer have been busts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yzerman had learned from the best GM in the game, but he also inherited a team with damn good players and picks. Lets be real.

They also only made the playoffs 1 time the past 3 years...

They are a good team, but not worthy of the hype they tend to get around here. DRWs will likely end the season with more points than them . And I'm confident DRWs would beat them in a best of 7 (healthy vs healthy).

Regardless, doesn't change the fact that Yzerman got fleeced tonight.

He gave up a first, a 6th defenseman and a 3rd round pick for a top four defenseman who isn't a rental. Then recouped two seconds for a bust. Yea dude got so owned.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Yes, the GM who only made the playoffs 1 time the past 3 years...

The same GM who inherited the team with the 2009 2nd overall pick? Yzerman has done fine, but c'mon, lets be real. He hasn't proven jacked **** thus far.

Yea dude got so owned.

You're starting to come to your senses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad