GDT: Trade Deadline

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Weiss has been rumored to be involved in this potential deal, I didn't just make that up.

And I didn't even name which propsect???

And they reported that Toronto is TRYING to get rid of him...

I still don't think they want to be boned out of the deal.

I would be very surprised if Holland can pull a move like unloading baggage for a proven top pairing NHL defenseman.

I may be wrong, but I think Weiss will end up being a buyout/waive situation. No one is going to want to trade for him at all...unless they can pick the guy up off waivers.

Smith might be good enough for a Petry trade, straight up (is one better than the other at this point-who knows). But I don't seeing Smith hold much value.

I believe if they are to land a top D-man, Nyquist or Tatar will be the starting bargaining chip. I just don't see that happening.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Means it still counts against the cap. I forget what the formula is but Capgeek said that the most the Wings would pay in any given year to buy out Weiss is $1.6M.

Compliance buyouts were basically 2 get out of jail free cards the league gave teams to shed deadweight once the new CBA was reached

Detroit used theirs on Tootoo and Colaiacovo IIRC, but there was only 2 windows to use them anyway, summer 2013 and summer 2014. They are a thing of the past now.

Regular buyout meaning we could shed a contract but there would be a hit to our cap still, different # depending on different contracts

Thanks, guys.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Dion is going to cost a fortune, we need to go hard for Zidlicky.

Don't want Petry, would rather go with Marchy.

Brandel*

Tomorrow will be

8:00-3:00 = glued to all media outlets
3:00-5:00 = chance of some work

3-330 is when all the trade get announced! Remember the madness last year. Everything was last minute, it was nuts.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Phaneuf won't cost a fortune. He's got an albatross of a contract and not many teams are willing to absorb it. The Leafs may hold onto him until the summer, but he is as good as gone, they are going to take away the "C" and have made up their minds he's got to be moved.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will ask you guys...

Is it better to give up a reasonable package but have to eat that cap hit

or

pay more of a premium with picks and players/prospects, but get some of that cap hit shaved down?

That's a tough call man...

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I will ask you guys...

or

pay more of a premium with picks and players/prospects, but get some of that cap hit shaved down?

It is tough, I think it depends on the team's situation.

I want to say contending teams would probably rather take the shaved cap hit since they likely already have an abundance of good players taking up their cap as it is. But at the same time, contending teams are the ones more likely to have good prospects that won't crack the roster, making them more expendable.

No clue :laugh:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Different years, different salaries, different trajectory... If you sweeten the pot with a better roster player or prospect, it may be doable.

My ideal scenario would be something like

TOR
-Weiss
-Smith
-2016 2nd
-prospect

DET
-Phaneuf

This would be amazing. And I could live with a first instead of a 2nd

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I will ask you guys...

or

I'll go with the former.

Prospects and picks can be cost controlled so it's not like they have to be moved out to make the cap work. Also I'd rather risk be inconvenienced with an overpayed player than be burned by those picks/prospects multiple times a year on a division rival.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I will ask you guys...

or

I'd rather eat the cap hit. Might force us to make some other moves (trading Quincey, Kindl) that I wouldn't mind.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I will ask you guys...

or

Definitely the former. We have the cap to endure his hit.

Although, I understand Kenny's urge to try and have TOR swallow some salary.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I will ask you guys...

or

I'd take the hit. We have things we could move or buy out. And then there's Franzen's potential LTIR room.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know, to me Dion Phaneuf just doesn't seem like a Red Wings type of player. His personality and attitude sucks, quite frankly. He's a bit of a prima dona who hasn't done anything in his career. Go watch his defense against the Capitals tonight on their third goal. I just don't think he's that good outside of his shot from the point.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'll go with the former.

Prospects and picks can be cost controlled so it's not like they have to be moved out to make the cap work. Also I'd rather risk be inconvenienced with an overpayed player than be burned by those picks/prospects multiple times a year on a division rival.
The other thing is our prospects have sort of a financial pecking order. You spend your rookie deal in GR, then you get a cheap bridge deal, and then you start making money. So I don't think we have to worry about paying the moon for somebody quite yet. Nyquist will sign a team-friendly deal, and I think when the time comes Tatar and Sheahan will as well. and frankly, those are the only guys to really worry about in the near future.

O capgeek, how we mourn thee.

Jul 30, 2005
I don't know, to me Dion Phaneuf just doesn't seem like a Red Wings type of player. His personality and attitude sucks, quite frankly. He's a bit of a prima dona who hasn't done anything in his career. Go watch his defense against the Capitals tonight on their third goal. I just don't think he's that good outside of his shot from the point.
It's definitely a risk. I think the Wings like the idea because they think they have an overwhelmingly strong locker room that can keep him under control, and they have probably the strongest/most domineering (whichever way you see it...) coach in the game. On top of that, we know how the Ilitch family treats their stars. So I think the idea is: if Phaneuf can't play nice in Detroit, he can't play nice anywhere in the league. Which is both good and bad. If, despite all that stuff, it still manages to go wrong... where do you go from there? Who's going to take Phaneuf off of Detroit's hands?

But on the other hand, Phaneuf would pretty much be going from the fire back into the pan, perhaps even all the way back into the damn freezer, metaphorically speaking. It would likely be a great relief for him to come here, and it might make him more relaxed. Detroit's friendly press versus the polemical shootout that is a Torontonian media scrum... yeah. and probably no captaincy, which might feel nice. He can just play.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The other thing is our prospects have sort of a financial pecking order. You spend your rookie deal in GR, then you get a cheap bridge deal, and then you start making money. So I don't think we have to worry about paying the moon for somebody quite yet. Nyquist will sign a team-friendly deal, and I think when the time comes Tatar and Sheahan will as well. and frankly, those are the only guys to really worry about in the near future.

O capgeek, how we mourn thee.

Tatar already has, not sure his next one can be counted on to be friendly. Yes he will be RFA, but he will be arbitration eligible and with only one year of that left, we are outright buying UFA years at that point in time, I expect his next contract to be sizable. But he is a core piece so not a problem and the point you're driving at is he has a very team friendly deal right now because of this system.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I am praying to god that Holland sleeps in tomorrow and skips trade deadline. I think he's doen enough damage this TL.

He was a good GM up until he decided trading was fun... and now just trades for the sake of trading. Wings don't need to mortgage their future.

The highlight of my day was when Yandle was traded and Holland dodged that bullet. I was feeling optimistic. We almost got through a trade deadline without a trade... then he wastes a 2nd on Cole. My god, why?????

Holland needs to just stop it.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I am praying to god that Holland sleeps in tomorrow and skips trade deadline. I think he's doen enough damage this TL.

He was a good GM up until he decided trading was fun... and now just trades for the sake of trading. Wings don't need to mortgage their future.

The highlight of my day was when Yandle was traded and Holland dodged that bullet. I was feeling optimistic. We almost got through a trade deadline without a trade... then he wastes a 2nd on Cole. My god, why?????

Dude, it's a second round pick...

Jul 30, 2005
Tatar already has, not sure his next one can be counted on to be friendly. Yes he will be RFA, but he will be arbitration eligible and with only one year of that left, we are outright buying UFA years at that point in time, I expect his next contract to be sizable. But he is a core piece so not a problem and the point you're driving at is he has a very team friendly deal right now because of this system.
The feeling I get with Tatar is that he legitimately enjoys being a Red Wing. Like not just being in the league, not just playing well, but playing for this particular team. He's so damn bubbly about it. So I could totally see him taking a little bit less money when the time comes, especially if Nyquist does it first.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Really don't want Dion.
If he was UFA to be than maybe.
Just don't want anything to do with that contract.
Let alone give assets.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

Dude, I literally bursted out laughing. XD

The trade for Cole is very solid. Not sure what's up, but I hope KH has more phone fun tomorrow by picking up Phaneuf, lol.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Dude, it's a second round pick...

For every NHLer that goes in the 2nd there are like 5 or 6 guys who amount to nothing, this really is not that bad of a deal for a rental.

-----
Here is how the trade breaks down in my mind:

Cole and the 2nd are the main features, but Cole really is not worth quite a 2nd on his own so Dallas has to add a pick, maybe a 4th or 5th. But Detroit instead wants to both up the pick and get value out of guys who really don't have a shot at making the Wings, rather than them becoming Adam Almqvist so the pick becomes a 3rd rounder. However, a 3rd that is only twenty picks lower than the 2nd is probably worth a bit more than Janmark and Backman so Detroit says it will all be worth it if Cole helps the Wings make it to the ECF and therefore the pick becomes conditional.

Just my best guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad