GDT: Trade Deadline

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Didn't Smith grow up a Leafs fan?

Sure, half of his countrymen are fans too but it seems like a good excuse

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
This idea that I'm proposing is way unlikely but I'd say it's not completely unfeasible.

Mike Green at the trade deadline.
Not sure what the price would be since he would be a rental, and that's a dangerous game, but I'd love to unload erroricson and maybe a pick. I'd say Green is too good to be a bottom 6 defenseman, and erricson is signed reasonably enough to provide Washington a bottom 4/bottom 6 defenseman for the playoffs...

It's super unlikely to actually happen and tbh I'm not sure how you would even out the values but I'm bored at work and the thought crossed my mInd. Unfortunately it's a rash decision and if green doesn't resign we are clearly worse off, meaning someone like smith and a prospect might get Washington to bite.

Edit: realizing now smith doesn't really help washington's cup aspirations.. to dream I guess

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I have a feeling it's going to be Phaneuf. There's a lot of smoke there and the price for Yandle wasn't very high.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The thing that keeps me optimistic about Phaneuf is the fact that's he's played with some mediocre guys next to him his time in Toronto. I think Kronwall would be quite the upgrade over Jake Gardiner or before Carl Gunnarson... Just as Dion would be quite the upgrade over Jonathan Ericsson.

Or they might not mesh at all and we're stuck with an expensive 2nd pairing defenseman.

Stay tuned! :nod:

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
The thing that keeps me optimistic about Phaneuf is the fact that's he's played with some mediocre guys next to him his time in Toronto. I think Kronwall would be quite the upgrade over Jake Gardiner or before Carl Gunnarson... Just as Dion would be quite the upgrade over Jonathan Ericsson.

Or they might not mesh at all and we're stuck with an expensive 2nd pairing defenseman.

Stay tuned! :nod:

I think Phaneuf would do at least acceptable on the second line. If Toronto retained salary and his price tag fit that roll I'd be comfortable with the move.

I just have a hard time seeing Phaneuf excel on a top pairing at this point.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Weiss, Kindl, 1st, Jurco

Phaneuf (5m), 2nd

Basically a first and Jurco plus cap dumps, but I think the first plus Jurco are worth more than Dion so Toronto adds a second. I'm not sure exactly what picks they have, but whatever one is latest.

I don't know how I feel about it but I think that's how the value will look. Maybe sub Smith for Kindl... maybe. Toronto fans would probably hate this though. Meh.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have this feeling Phaneuf will be a Wing at this time tomorrow. And I also don't think the price will be as bad as we think.

This is what I want to hear, please be right SoupNazi.

Would really like to keep our 1st, as I mentioned in the other thread.

Actually, I'll just bring it over...

I am warming up to the idea of Phaneuf, but I would have to pass on including a 1st, otherwise I say no. Would rather throw in an extra prospect.

We have drafted Larkin and Mantha with our last 2 first rounders. They are too vital for our re-tooling we are doing.

Last time we forked one over we could have well had Maata.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Damn it I am gonna have to find some animals tomorrow to give to the greater good of keeping phaneuf off this team. Please no Kenny. Please no. Pick up Zidlicky if you want a d. But not ****ing Phaneuf. Don't **** our team up.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
This is what I want to hear, please be right SoupNazi.

Would really like to keep our 1st, as I mentioned in the other thread.

Actually, I'll just bring it over...

I am warming up to the idea of Phaneuf, but I would have to pass on including a 1st, otherwise I say no. Would rather throw in an extra prospect.

We have drafted Larkin and Mantha with our last 2 first rounders. They are too vital for our re-tooling we are doing.

Last time we forked one over we could have well had Maata.

But Phaneuf >>> Quincey. And it would take more than a late 1st to get Dion.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Weiss, Kindl, 1st, Jurco

Phaneuf (5m), 2nd

Basically a first and Jurco plus cap dumps, but I think the first plus Jurco are worth more than Dion so Toronto adds a second. I'm not sure exactly what picks they have, but whatever one is latest.

I don't know how I feel about it but I think that's how the value will look. Maybe sub Smith for Kindl... maybe. Toronto fans would probably hate this though. Meh.

The Leafs send Detroit their best dman, retain $2 mill, and take Weiss all for a lateish 1st and Jurco (Kindl has no value)? Oh and we add a second (which would be maybe 15 picks away from the 1st).

Nonis would be fired immediately after making that trade.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
A rebuilding Toronto squad probably wants nothing to do with Stephen Weiss' baggage contract. No idea what we'd give as a proven centerpiece in a Phaneuf deal.

3 years of $4.9 million > 5 years of $7 million. I do think that taking Weiss in the deal would mean there would be no retention.

Heck, I wouldn't care if we could get Phaneuf for a reasonable deal and take on the entire contract. I think he is better than he has played in Toronto, it's just a toxic environment there with the media and fans. He wouldn't have to be the man here, he wouldn't have the insane media and fan pressure and, assuming he stays, would have the best coach in the world squeezing every bit of talent out of him like Babcock does with the majority of his players.

So, I'd be happy with something like Jurco, Sproul/Oullet, 1st (2016 preferably) for him. I'd also be willing to part with the likes of Pulkinnen and Smith if we wanted to flip the prospect and NHL ready-esque player.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
With Kronner, E, Q, DD, Marchy, Phaneuf, the top6 looks great. Smith/Kindl as #7, not a big deal. I think Marchenko's play and handedness probably makes Holland a little more willing to deal XO. Plus we still have Sproul, Jensen. If Holland can do it for Kindl or Smith instead of XO, I will be floored.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Damn it I am gonna have to find some animals tomorrow to give to the greater good of keeping Homophobic Sluroof off this team. Please no Kenny. Please no. Pick up Zidlicky if you want a d. But not ****ing Homophobic Sluroof. Don't **** our team up.

I think you're being a bit too harsh on him. He's a good defenseman on a very, very bad team coached hy an idiot for the past few seasons.

Regardless, I think KH picks up a defenseman even if it's not DP.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
A rebuilding Toronto squad probably wants nothing to do with Stephen Weiss' baggage contract. No idea what we'd give as a proven centerpiece in a Phaneuf deal.

4.9M isn't that bad for a guy who can produce at a 0.5 pace with 11-12 minutes per game playing with scrubs. And Toronto has weak center depth as it is but it could get really ugly if they move Bozak as the rumors suggest.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Damn it I am gonna have to find some animals tomorrow to give to the greater good of keeping phaneuf off this team. Please no Kenny. Please no. Pick up Zidlicky if you want a d. But not ****ing Phaneuf. Don't **** our team up.

How is adding a sold top four defenseman, with number one talent, going to **** up our team?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Calling it now that the smoke and buzz around Dion to Detroit will continue building leading up to tomorrow and then he'll be traded elsewhere or stay in T.O.

Kenny will either stand pat or pick up Petry/Zidlicky if they could be had for cheap.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But Phaneuf >>> Quincey. And it would take more than a late 1st to get Dion.

Different years, different salaries, different trajectory... If you sweeten the pot with a better roster player or prospect, it may be doable.

My ideal scenario would be something like

TOR
-Weiss
-Smith
-2016 2nd
-prospect

DET
-Phaneuf

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Calling it now that the smoke and buzz around Dion to Detroit will continue building leading up to tomorrow and then he'll be traded elsewhere or stay in T.O.

Kenny will either stand pat or pick up Petry/Zidlicky if they could be had for cheap.

Buzzkill. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
FWIW, if Toronto takes Weiss and we take Phaneuf at full price, we can still go after Green in the off-season for 6-7M as long as we find a taker for Quincey, which shouldn't be hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad