GDT: Trade Deadline

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Am I the only one around here who is a bit underwhelmed?

For the price I would rather have Petry than Zidlicky. Cole is nice, but when I look around the league I don't think we kept pace.

IMO, the Rangers, Lightning and Canadiens all improved their team more than we did.

The Ducks loaded up in the West, The Hawks looked to have filled their holes.

I am not saying our moves were bad, I just don't think we kept pace with the contenders.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
lebrun said on TSN that wings were in on petry but the price was too high. and we're surprised when he went for less than that to montreal. but we're still happy with what we got.

Considering that, I'm happy that it turned out to be a guy, who really wanted to come here and for whom we didn't overpay at all due to that.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The Wings would not have offered a prospect of similar value to Karlsson. From what Ducks fans are saying is that he's pretty good. I would assume better than Backman and Janmark.

For what it's worth, Karlsson is an impressive young player. He's still adjusting to the NA game, but he is extremely intelligent, and may have the highest upside of all of Anaheim's prospect centers. He's the kind of player I could easily see Detroit wanting to nab.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
For what it's worth, Karlsson is an impressive young player. He's still adjusting to the NA game, but he is extremely intelligent, and may have the highest upside of all of Anaheim's prospect centers. He's the kind of player I could easily see Detroit wanting to nab.

I might have worded it the wrong way. I was trying to say that the Wings wouldn't offer one of our prospects that had the same value as Karlsson does for that package. Holland has made it known that Mantha/Larkin are pretty untouchable. So getting Wiz for the cost of Mantha/Larkin, is a non starter.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I might have worded it the wrong way. I was trying to say that the Wings wouldn't offer one of our prospects that had the same value as Karlsson does for that package. Holland has made it known that Mantha/Larkin are pretty untouchable. So getting Wiz for the cost of Mantha/Larkin, is a non starter.

I was pretty surprised to see Karlsson moved, but it seems to send a pretty clear message that Murray is committed to winning. For better or for worse.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I was pretty surprised to see Karlsson moved, but it seems to send a pretty clear message that Murray is committed to winning. For better or for worse.

The Ducks made out really well this deadline. Here's hoping we see each other in the playoffs!!!

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

For the price I would rather have Petry than Zidlicky. Cole is nice, but when I look around the league I don't think we kept pace.

IMO, the Rangers, Lightning and Canadiens all improved their team more than we did.

I am not saying our moves were bad, I just don't think we kept pace with the contenders.

Petry is a RH Smith.

I'm really not sure what is so coveted about him.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI

Not exactly sure how the Canadiens day was that impressive. They got two centers who can't score which means they still have zero scoring, they improved defensively but they were already very good defensively. They did not address their weakness.

Tampa improved defensively, which makes them a bit tougher. The Rangers were always a threat, considering they have Lundquist.

We improved up front by adding grit and a guy who isn't afraid of going to the front of the net. Cole improves our forechecking which was already good. We added a right handed defenseman who is still playing well and will fit well into our system. So we improved our team that has already been competing with all of those other teams you listed.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I wonder why the difference between this year and last couple at the TDL. Perhaps an implicit understanding/acknowledgment that Holland feels that this year we're much closer than we have been previously? We're certainly better off in the standings. Many of our metrics are pretty good too, 5v5 scoring notwithstanding.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I wonder why the difference between this year and last couple at the TDL. Perhaps an implicit understanding/acknowledgment that Holland feels that this year we're much closer than we have been previously? We're certainly better off in the standings. Many of our metrics are pretty good too, 5v5 scoring notwithstanding.

I think any trade talks last year and especially the year before would have to involve Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and our picks. No one was going to shop for Cleary, Bertuzzi... At the end of the day, sitting on his hands was probably the best thing Holland could have done and it seems to have worked out well so far.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney

I think, at the end of the day, the trade deadline is about filling your holes without mortgaging your future. The playoffs are a crap-shoot, never, in recent history, has a team loaded up at the deadline and won the Cup. It's the strategic acquisitions at the deadline (Gaborik for LA last year) that make the difference. Kenny's filled the holes and, hopefully, we've just
made that strategic acquisition.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011

A lot of those moves were trading player for player (more lateral movements). Not just upgrading, but re-tooling/different make up for a playoff push.

Detroit didn't need that. They play well against everyone but our own division. Hopefully these additions address that. Otherwise, Detroit is is good shape for a cup run as is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Last year at this time Zetterberg was out until what was believed to be the 2nd rd of the play-offs, and Datsyuk had a shot knee.

It's why I was against making a move at the deadline altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad