GDT: Trade Deadline

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Credit for the GDT goes to GoosetooLoose.

NHL Trade Deadline 2015 - Monday, March 2, 3PM EST​

:nhl League-wide updates

Player|Position|Age|Cap Hit|GP|G|P
1. Jeff Petry (EDM)|D|27|$3.1M|59|4|15
2. Zbynek Michalek (ARI)|D|32|$4.0M|53|2|8
3. Chris Stewart (BUF)|RW|27|$4.15M|60|11|25
4. Dion Phaneuf (TOR)|D|29|$7.0M|50|3|23
5. Joffrey Lupul (TOR)|LW|31|$5.25M|35|9|19
6. Jan Hejda (COL)|D|36|$3.25M|61|1|9
7. Marek Zidlicky (NJ) |D|38|$4.0M|63|4|23
8. Cam Atkinson (CBJ)|RW|25|$1.15M|56|13|25
9. Tyler Bozak (TOR) |C|28|$4.2M|62|17|39
10. Matt Beleskey (ANA)|LW|26|$1.35M|56|13|25
As of 6am March 2nd [/CENTER]

Recent Red Wings Trade-related Articles

St. James: Wings' Mark Howe sees no pressure for trade
Red Wings at the NHL trade deadline: Players who might fit into the team's plans
Red Wings' Ken Holland debating whether to deal; decent-sized forward might be biggest need

Red Wings add veteran Erik Cole in trade with Stars
Red Wings acquire good-sized, skilled forward Erik Cole from Dallas for two prospects, second-round pick

Rules:

Don't flame each other.

Contribute. If your only contribution is something like "We like our team" or "Marchenko is our deadline addition" then don't bother.

Any trades made by the Wings get their own threads. This is where we can discuss other trades.

Last edited:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Some of you guys might hate me, but I offered:

'15 1st, Weiss, Smith/Kindl and Pulks/Jurco for Phaneuf (.5-1.0 retained) and a '15 pick and a few TML obliged.

I really do think there's a fit between our teams.

Kronner and Phaneuf would be a nasty pairing. Even on separate pairings, it'd still be nasty. Like someone else said, watch your head going through center ice.

I genuinely like the idea of DP in Detroit. Do it Kenny.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Regardless of how attached you are to the deep end of the prospect pool, I think this should be a more exciting deadline for the Wings. There's an actual chance that we go out and get somebody who can make an impact. It's been a while since we've felt this way.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont believe kh would make any trade if he wasnt planning on upgrading the defence, why bother.

So to me adding a depth veteran ufa forward increases odds we also trade for a dman.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Dion is a good player but that contract is rough. They would need to eat more salary than that.

I will say that Smith would probably love to be traded to Toronto.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I dont believe kh would make any trade if he wasnt planning on upgrading the defence, why bother.

So to me adding a depth veteran ufa forward increases odds we also trade for a dman.

Yeah, adding a rental forward certainly does seem to signal a willingness to "go for it".

As for my tinfoil hat speculation, perhaps Cole is being added for the anticipated departure of another depth player.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Some of you guys might hate me, but I offered:

'15 1st, Weiss, Smith/Kindl and Pulks/Jurco for Phaneuf (.5-1.0 retained) and a '15 pick and a few TML obliged.

I really do think there's a fit between our teams.

Kronner and Phaneuf would be a nasty pairing. Even on separate pairings, it'd still be nasty. Like someone else said, watch your head going through center ice.

I genuinely like the idea of DP in Detroit. Do it Kenny.
What's the pick on Toronto's end? I'm hoping it's a 2nd.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I will say that if they go after Dion there is a lot of risk. When I think about Dion I think of him in his calgary days when he played tough and had an offensive upside. If you watch a Leafs game these days you see none of that.

Would his game come back to him in Detroit?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I have this feeling Phaneuf will be a Wing at this time tomorrow. And I also don't think the price will be as bad as we think.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think XO or Sproul will be gone tomorrow in the Phaneuf deal. I think it is going to happen. The retention of the salary and which first round pick we are sending 15 or 16 is going to be the big contention. I think they are more than comfortable parting with Sproul/XO and Jurco/Pulks to make this happen.

Babcock will have the biggest **** eating grin in all of Michigan tomorrow if they pull that off.

They can do it without Larkin and Mantha, in part because his contract is gone, I hope Holland negotiates his backside off tomorrow. I really want 1.5 million retained, willing to throw in more to make that happen in terms of another prospect obviously not huge in value, but I think the retention of salary is big for us with all the future contracts coming up.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think XO or Sproul will be gone tomorrow in the Phaneuf deal. I think it is going to happen. The retention of the salary and which first round pick we are sending 15 or 16 is going to be the big contention. I think they are more than comfortable parting with Sproul/XO and Jurco/Pulks to make this happen.

Babcock will have the biggest **** eating grin in all of Michigan tomorrow if they pull that off.

They can do it without Larkin and Mantha, in part because his contract is gone, I hope Holland negotiates his backside off tomorrow. I really want 1.5 million retained, willing to throw in more to make that happen in terms of another prospect obviously not huge in value, but I think the retention of salary is big for us with all the future contracts coming up.

Oh man, trading Ouellet would succccckkkkkk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh man, trading Ouellet would succccckkkkkk

You know I would hate it. I have long been a huge Ouellet backer. With that said Dion Phaneuf is a very good player despite how often his reputation is drug through the mud some of that is his own doing.

The Cole move just strikes me as an opening salvo. Quite frankly with the assets we have stock piled if we can talk them into eating some of the cap hit I am happy to give up the assets. If they stay firm and we are taking on the full seven I will start to get picky about what they are getting. Like in that instance, you can have Sproul and not Ouellet.

But a deal for Phaneuf would take spots away permanently, so I am not as upset. You then have Kronwall, Phaneuf, Ericsson and DeKeyser (shortly) locked up long-term.

Smith also could be a make weight for this trade. I am on board in this scenario also, where I wasn't for Franson. Phaneuf is worth these costs even if I don't want to see these guys in division and particularly in a Leafs jersey.

But still, Phaneuf is a player I am willing to see both Ouellet and Smith disappear from the roster for. That might not mean much, I mean my opinion isn't important, but I guess it would speak to the volume of what I think this move means and the endorsement I give it. So just in terms of my opinion before it potential comes down I have said over the next 12-18 months over the summer something big would start to happen. I think it is happening tomorrow, even if I want to hold out for Mike Green, the Leafs desire to remove Phaneuf is too much to pass on. We should strike right now and not look back.

Last edited:

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I've been thinking a lot about Phaneuf. On one hand he is -probably- better than 4 of our 6 defenseman that we have now. I trust kronwall and Dekeyser more than I would ever trust Phaneuf. However at $7m a year it severely limits our ability to get someone better than Phaneuf in free agency, and we are stuck with a terrible contract (unless Toronto eats 1-1.5million... come on Shanny).

The issue is that waiting to hit big in free agency has not worked out well for us over the past few years so we could end up with the same mediocre defense next year.

In a perfect world Phaneuf wouldn't move until after free agency, allowing us to weigh our options. In the meantime I think Zidlicky is a marginal upgrade over either Smith or Kindl and may be worth looking at for a potential cup run.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I have this feeling Phaneuf will be a Wing at this time tomorrow. And I also don't think the price will be as bad as we think.

I am kind of hoping you are right. I'm thinking at least one of Smith, Kindl, and/or a defense prospect will be involved along with a pick. I'll probably be ok with it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad