GDT: Trade Deadline

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think you're being a bit too harsh on him. He's a good defenseman on a very, very bad team coached hy an idiot for the past few seasons.

Regardless, I think KH picks up a defenseman even if it's not DP.

He ****ing sucks and has rocks in his head instead of brains. He makes Smith look ****ing intelligent. He doesn't play on his off hand well. He is a ****ing pylon on d who doesn't believe in following his man on defense. He is signed for 6 more years at 7 million dollars. He right now at best is a 2/3 d for his amount. He also likes to take the body but hits his own teammates more often than players who skate around laughing at him. He is already declining at 28/29 and big physical d don't age well for ****.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
FWIW, if Toronto takes Weiss and we take Phaneuf at full price, we can still go after Green in the off-season for 6-7M as long as we find a taker for Quincey, which shouldn't be hard.

So what you're saying is, we should bank on

Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Phaneuf
Ericsson-Smith/March/XO

Alright!!!!

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Buzzkill. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've just been hurt too many times before :sarcasm: :laugh:

Seriously, Kenny is supposedly in on every d-man traded but never lands one, and now we've got the fact that he's reluctant to move the 1st and the fact that the Leafs are a divisional rival working against us. Honestly I'd be shocked to see KH pull a trade that big.

Like I said if Zidlicky or Petry can be had for a 2nd next year and a B/B+ prospect I can see Kenny pulling the trigger otherwise nothing will happen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
3 years of $4.9 million > 5 years of $7 million. I do think that taking Weiss in the deal would mean there would be no retention.

Heck, I wouldn't care if we could get Phaneuf for a reasonable deal and take on the entire contract. I think he is better than he has played in Toronto, it's just a toxic environment there with the media and fans. He wouldn't have to be the man here, he wouldn't have the insane media and fan pressure and, assuming he stays, would have the best coach in the world squeezing every bit of talent out of him like Babcock does with the majority of his players.

So, I'd be happy with something like Jurco, Sproul/Oullet, 1st (2016 preferably) for him. I'd also be willing to part with the likes of Pulkinnen and Smith if we wanted to flip the prospect and NHL ready-esque player.

If Toronto sees Weiss as still being a capable center, he could free them up to move Kadri in a bigger deal at the draft or over the summer, too. If Toronto really believes that the the majority of the team they've built needs to be overhauled, they'll still need to have guys in place who can hold down the fort while other guys are shipped out. Weiss could be someone to help hold down their fort. I'd feel kind of bad for Weiss at that point, though.

FWIW, if Toronto takes Weiss and we take Phaneuf at full price, we can still go after Green in the off-season for 6-7M as long as we find a taker for Quincey, which shouldn't be hard.

I think this doesn't get enough talk when considering a Phaneuf (or any deal for a D). If we bring someone in, then we are clearly in a position to move at least one NHL D out, and we will get back a reasonable asset for it. We could already move Kindl without much pain. We could then move Quincey without much of a care, too. That second we gave up in the Cole deal, and whatever picks we would move for Phaneuf, would be softened a bit by whatever got back for Kindl, Quincey, etc.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Different years, different salaries, different trajectory... If you sweeten the pot with a better roster player or prospect, it may be doable.

My ideal scenario would be something like

TOR
-Weiss
-Smith
-2016 2nd
-prospect

DET
-Phaneuf

I don't think this scenario even comes close to happening.

Toronto will not want to help Detroit unload Weiss. I think they hang up right away. Also, Smith? He's not enticing enough for a secondary piece, IMO.

And if they manage to take Weiss and Smith, you bet they will want a 2015 1st, and one of Manth/Larkin. As Smith hasn't hit any of his projections other than skating....and Weiss is just an expensive 3rd liner.

The trade looks like us getting rid of baggage while keeping our 1st round picks, and unloading an under preforming prospect.

I'm sure Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Mantha and Larkin are all being asked to be included in these block buster trades...something Holland will not do.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think this scenario even comes close to happening.

Toronto will not want to help Detroit unload Weiss. I think they hang up right away. Also, Smith? He's not enticing enough for a secondary piece, IMO.

And if they manage to take Weiss and Smith, you bet they will want a 2015 1st, and one of Manth/Larkin. As Smith hasn't hit any of his projections other than skating....and Weiss is just an expensive 3rd liner.

The trade looks like us getting rid of baggage while keeping our 1st round picks, and unloading an under preforming prospect.

I'm sure Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Mantha and Larkin are all being asked to be included in these block buster trades...something Holland will not do.

Weiss has been rumored to be involved in this potential deal, I didn't just make that up.

And I didn't even name which propsect???

And they reported that Toronto is TRYING to get rid of him...

Brandel*

Some people here are overvaluing Phaneuf I think. That contract is a monster and if TOR is not retaining anything it wouldn't take as many quality pieces as are being thrown around.

Anyway should be an interesting day, not just from a Detroit perspective. Don't want to work -.-

Brandel*

Red Wings felt they needed Erik Cole's size, physical dimension and scoring ability in playoffs

Outside of the Cole aspect (which is worth reading), here's the general talk for tomorrow:

The Red Wings reportedly have shown some interest in Toronto's Dion Phaneuf, who has a booming left-handed shot and would add a physical dimension. But he has six years left on his contract at a salary-cap hit of $7 million. The Maple Leafs likely would have to assume part of that contract or take back some salary in return to make that deal acceptable for Detroit.

Jeff Petry (Edmonton), Zbynek Michalek (Arizona), Stephane Robidas (Toronto) and Marek Zidlicky (New Jersey) are among the other defensemen who could be moved on Monday.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some people here are overvaluing Phaneuf I think. That contract is a monster and if TOR is not retaining it wouldn't take as many quality pieces as are being thrown around.

Anyway should be an interesting day, not just from a Detroit perspective. Don't want to work -.-

Tomorrow will be

8:00-3:00 = glued to all media outlets
3:00-5:00 = chance of some work

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
What is a "regular buyout" exactly?

(Forgive my ignorance, for I am not really hip to all the technical stuff when it comes to cap issues, buyouts, etc. Legal mumbo-jumbo :laugh:)

Means it still counts against the cap. I forget what the formula is but Capgeek said that the most the Wings would pay in any given year to buy out Weiss is $1.6M.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
What is a "regular buyout" exactly?

(Forgive my ignorance, for I am not really hip to all the technical stuff when it comes to cap issues, buyouts, etc. Legal mumbo-jumbo :laugh:)

Compliance buyouts were basically 2 get out of jail free cards the league gave teams to shed deadweight once the new CBA was reached

Detroit used theirs on Tootoo and Colaiacovo IIRC, but there was only 2 windows to use them anyway, summer 2013 and summer 2014. They are a thing of the past now.

Regular buyout meaning we could shed a contract but there would be a hit to our cap still, different # depending on different contracts

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
From Khan article:

"They're not prepared to assume a hefty contract, like Dion Phaneuf's. The Toronto captain would provide an upgrade with his booming shot and physical play but he has six more seasons left at a $7 million cap hit."

That seems to imply that acquiring him is along shot. I'm predicting Zidlicky or nothing.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
So what you're saying is, we should bank on

Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Phaneuf
Ericsson-Smith/March/XO

Alright!!!!

That's exactly what I'm saying. ;) I think if we got rid of Weiss in the deal, Q in the off-season, gave Nike 4.5 and Green 7 (high end), we come in at slightly under $68M.

Following year would be a cluster**** but it'd be our best **** at the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad