Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It would have to depend on the price. I'm not sure I would give up any of our top prospects for him. A lot of the times I've seen him play, 4-5 games, this year he has looked very poor, not engaging physically, letting guys walk by him and not really doing much offensively. According to Buffalo fans when someone proposed an O'Reilly for Myers trade they said it was an overpayment on Colorado's part. He's playing like a #4/5 but he's being paid 5.5M for the next 5 years, he's only playing 20 minutes a night and that offensive potential he was supposed to have has completely dried up, 5 points in 28 games.

If Holland and Co. feel they can turn him around then I'll put my faith in them but I'm not bouncing for joy like I once was over the thought of Myers patrolling our blue line.

I wouldn't mind picking up Sekera though, he's signed to a pretty nice contract and is a good #3 dman.

I understand he is playing poorly this year, but there was a time when he looked like one of the brightest young d-men in the game. He has all the tools, he is just not playing well for whatever reason. He's also 6'7", can skate, and is a righty. Price might actually be pretty reasonable considering his drop-off in play and his cap-hit. I'd take him over Yandle any day.

RedWingsNow*

Hell no lol why bring back Leino if you are getting rid of a questionable contract?

Because it's over in 3-4 years.
Not saying I'd do it/. Just playing devil's advocate.

But thinking about it, it's not that bad a deal

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Because it's over in 3-4 years.
Not saying I'd do it/. Just playing devil's advocate.

But thinking about it, it's not that bad a deal

Makes no sense. You are getting a bad contract that brings very little production. You would be better off just buying out Franzen than making that trade.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Makes no sense. You are getting a bad contract that brings very little production. You would be better off just buying out Franzen than making that trade.

It makes some sense. Instead of being saddled with a bad contract for the rest of time, you get one for 4 years.

If you wanted to save your buyouts for someone else.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I wonder what the price for Stafford would be. I think he'd be a great addition at the deadline for us. Wonder if we could swap Franzen for him?

There pretty even money wise and there both averaging about 40 points a year for there careers, Just not sure that Buffalo would want that long of a contract with Franzen though.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It makes some sense. Instead of being saddled with a bad contract for the rest of time, you get one for 4 years.

If you wanted to save your buyouts for someone else.

It's still a pretty long time to be carrying that cap hit for someone that brings nothing to the table. Besides Franzen who else is a long term contract that would be a candidate for a bit out. Keep in mind they had to have been on the team and signed prior to the new CBA. It's not something that makes sense for us, imo.

RedWingsNow*

Leino will produce on a scoring line with PP time.
Won't score Franzen's goals. but he'll produce

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Semin is a UFA who currently makes $7.6M a year. Why would Carolina move him anyway? They're in the thick of the playoff race and just two points out of the division lead.

Ryan...Lordy. He's only 26. He's a big, talented forward with 4 straight 30+ goal seasons to his name. It's hard to imagine that we have the bluechip prospect we'd need to trade for him.

Now Gaborik... I can see. He's only 31. He's super expensive and the Rangers are going to need to cut salary.

On the other hand, he's 31--and if we have to trade Tatar and Sproul... I for a guy who's 31...that's a big price, considering the age of the rest of our better players.

I'd consider trading Franzen + Andersson or Aubrey and a 2nd for Gaborik. But even then, while Gaborik makes us better than Franzen, IMO, Gaborik costs $7.5M

So essentially, he costs us Franzen + Flip.

Stafford? They should give this guy away after his last couple years. I'd take him -- but only if we shipped out a forward from our roster.

I think Ryan is a real possibility. Giving the BIG deals they had to throw at a Getzlaf and Perry to sign them, they are going to be looking for some cap space to clear up just like New York will. Good lord can you imagine our team with Gabby and Ryan. And we do have big talented prospects, maybe not developed to where they will be in a year or so but solid prospects non the less. The only prospect I think we should put off limits to a trade is Nyquist. I think Jurco, Andersson, Tatar, as well as the many others could be up for discussion. Along with Franzen and the dead weight (Cleary, Sammy, Coliacovo......)

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for Leino with that contract.

Wouldn't trade a 7th for Leino. Period. Had one decent playoffs and regular season, but he's a liability defensively and brings nothing to the table.

I think Smid would be good to have on the second pairing and PK. Kind of a Ericsson type player to eat up minutes and block shots. He takes too many dumb penalties though. And he won't come expensive, he's a UFA and doesn't provide that much offensively.

In the forward department, Iginla would improve out top 6, no doubt about that. And he would add so much in terms of leadership and veteran presence in the lockeroom. Yeah, he's relatively older than the others, but it's not like we are looking to get him for the next 10 years. I don't think I'd like the asking price though. Holland seems to want to keep as many picks and prospects as possible and that's what Calgary would want apart from core roster players.

Gaborik is a pipedream, but what a pipedream that would be to have one of the most lethal goalscorers on Datsyuk's wing. I still remember the chemistry they had in the ASG (not much to base it on, but it was awesome to watch).

Stafford would be interesting since that would add another RHS for our top 6.

Ribeiro is another playmaker we don't need. And I'm not a fan of his anyways

Not much else to be honest.

I think Smid and a solid forward would be a very good trade deadline. Not holding my breath though.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Leino will produce on a scoring line with PP time.
Won't score Franzen's goals. but he'll produce

Trading for Leino isn't the type of idea you'll want to associate yourself with if you want people to take your new blog seriously. ;)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Stafford would be lovely and probably cheap. I'm sure many will recall me wanting to trade for guys like Turris and sign Boyes to entry level deals. Stafford is in the same mold. Potentially huge addition that wouldnt cost us much much risk since we arent going to spend all our cap space next year anyways if Holland uses our buyouts since there arent many big UFA targets we will be interested in.
QUOTE]

I wonder what the price for Stafford would be. I think he'd be a great addition at the deadline for us. Wonder if we could swap Franzen for him?

Stafford would be interesting since that would add another RHS for our top 6.

As a Wings fan I would'nt mind getting Drew Stafford for the Right price, Along with either Robyn Regehr, Jordon Leopold or even Smid. Regehr, Leopold or Smid would be solid for our Defence and Stafford could take over for Fillpula If he leaves before to long.

is half this board living in an alternate reality where Stafford is a good hockey player or something?

take over for Filppula? trade Franzen for him? even Buffalo fans would laugh you guys out of the room

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Dallas can't secure a playoff spot and we want a wing for Datsyuk?

Step right on up Jaromir Jagr. Rental? Maybe. You'd get 1 more year max out of him. Max. But he's still got it and he's been a joy to watch in Dallas. Put his puck control and creativity with Datsyuk and you've got yourself a stew.

Oh, and he's a big body! He fits all the criteria, and more, other than being over 40 years old. :laugh:

we like our team*

i wouldn't take stafford over those two but he's still a good player

Actual Thought*

This year's deadline deal will be Darren Helm. Book it! The quotes from Wings brass will be "We like our team", "The prices are too high", and "We kicked the tires".

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Step right on up Jaromir Jagr. Rental? Maybe. You'd get 1 more year max out of him. Max. But he's still got it and he's been a joy to watch in Dallas. Put his puck control and creativity with Datsyuk and you've got yourself a stew.

Oh, and he's a big body! He fits all the criteria, and more, other than being over 40 years old. :laugh:

I thought being old was a criteria?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I thought being old was a criteria?

Ha. For all the fuss about Gaborik and Iginla, Jagr is playing much better.

But obviously Iginla, and Gaborik especially, have more tread left on the tires, but if you're talking playoff rental for this year... I think Jagr is the belle of the ball.

Aug 6, 2012

Wish we would've gotten Ryder because I don't think we'd have to give up anything special at all. They traded him and a 3rd rounder to MTL for Eric Cole.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Ha. For all the fuss about Gaborik and Iginla, Jagr is playing much better.

But obviously Iginla, and Gaborik especially, have more tread left on the tires, but if you're talking playoff rental for this year... I think Jagr is the belle of the ball.

Wouldn't it be a laugh-riot for Jagr to go back to Pittsburgh for the Playoffs and help them win a Cup?

I don't think the Wings would trade for him considering Jagr's "future" was a decade ago, but he'd definitely put someone like Pittsburgh or Anaheim over the top for the remainder of this season.

Also, HELL to the NO regarding Leino. I know CB is trying to change his image and promote his new blog (I really hate that word) and all, but where did that come from? That's a HORRIBLE idea.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
we should not be trading for anybody that is your typical playoff rental, not jagr or iggy or anyone

we should only be trading to acquire more draft picks while removing some excess forwards and or trading for a player to be part of our future not just next year but the next 5 or 6 or more years

yes any team can go from 8th seed to cup champ based on odds but really all KH should be thinking about is the 2015-2016 season and not just this spring.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
we should not be trading for anybody that is your typical playoff rental, not jagr or iggy or anyone

I only brought it up because I think Jagr would be the cheapest of the bunch but, ironically, he's also playing the best.

And while I know it makes no sense long term, I want to dream about Jagr and Datsyuk playing catch with the puck and driving defenders mad.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I only brought it up because I think Jagr would be the cheapest of the bunch but, ironically, he's also playing the best.

And while I know it makes no sense long term, I want to dream about Jagr and Datsyuk playing catch with the puck and driving defenders mad.

You'd probably only get to enjoy it for, what, three weeks at the most? ;)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

I wouldn't mind trading for Jagr as long as it only cost a middle tier prospect. I'd dance in the streets if we could throw in Cleary to sweeten the deal. :laugh:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I really hope KH unload some dead weight and get more draftpicks in this deep draft, even a 5th rounder is interesting, could be another Bäckman

Best case scenario get a mid 2nd rounder for a player like White, maybe there is some desperate win-now teams out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad