Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Continuing the post-season streak is the last thing management should be thinking about. That's the exact way how not to build the future of this organisation.

They need to understand that being a serious contender this year is clearly out of reach and the focus should be shifted to the long-term success of the Red Wings. The longer they think they can contend every year, the longer it will take them to actually be a serious contender again.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
They won't. If even half pan out, we should be high fiving. Nobody's prospect pool is quite as good as you're describing.
This. The Wings have bottom six depth in spades. The rest? Not so much outside of Sproul and Ouellet in the backend. Since a lottery pick isn't certain they either a) have to aquire someone at the deadline or b) hope they can snag Semin next year as a UFA. I don't think we'll be looking at a lottery pick until Datsyuk leaves. We thought losing Lidstrom was bad, wait until Datsyuk does. Team is going to be a one-trick pony.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
As a Wings fan I would'nt mind getting Drew Stafford for the Right price, Along with either Robyn Regehr, Jordon Leopold or even Smid. Regehr, Leopold or Smid would be solid for our Defence and Stafford could take over for Fillpula If he leaves before to long.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As a Wings fan I would'nt mind getting Drew Stafford for the Right price, Along with either Robyn Regehr, Jordon Leopold or even Smid. Regehr, Leopold or Smid would be solid for our Defence and Stafford could take over for Fillpula If he leaves before to long.

Stafford is really Johan Franzen with a little less talent and more streaky play. I wouldn't mind him if he is going for cheap, Pulkkinen and a midrounder, but not much else. He would become a guy our fanbase hunts especially after his first hot streak, everyone would wonder why that doesn't happen all the time.

Given what we endure if you like Franzen on this board, I cannot imagine what Stafford would be like around these parts, he even makes more than Franzen. :help:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Stafford is really Johan Franzen with a little less talent and more streaky play. I wouldn't mind him if he is going for cheap, Pulkkinen and a midrounder, but not much else. He would become a guy our fanbase hunts especially after his first hot streak, everyone would wonder why that doesn't happen all the time.

Given what we endure if you like Franzen on this board, I cannot imagine what Stafford would be like around these parts, he even makes more than Franzen. :help:

Your right actually both Filppula and Staffords career numbers are about the same In 6 years Filppula Is averaging 39 points a year with Detroit and Stafford Is averaging 41 points a year with Buffalo Stafford has about 20 more goals then Filppula Staffords best year Is 52 points and Filppulas 66 points. Yeah Stafford make a little we but more then Franzen Franzen make $3.95 million a year and Stafford make $4.0 million a year we shall see. I'm sure the Wings can do much better though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Your right actually both Filppula and Staffords career numbers are about the same In 6 years Filppula Is averaging 39 points a year with Detroit and Stafford Is averaging 41 points a year with Buffalo Stafford has about 20 more goals then Filppula Staffords best year Is 52 points and Filppulas 66 points. Yeah Stafford make a little we but more then Franzen Franzen make $3.95 million a year and Stafford make $4.0 million a year we shall see. I'm sure the Wings can do much better though.

Wasn't comparing him to Filppula though. He is a streaky goal scorer that is big but doesn't always play as big as people want. When he gets hot he can carry a team and be completely unstoppable. Just think he is very similar to the Mule, actually part of the reason I like Stafford is for 4 million he is a guy that can flat out take you places when he is on and that is rare. But I just don't think this ends well, he will become a favorite target in these parts.

Will say this he has one of the better senses of humor in hockey, the Detroit media would love this guy.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I like Flip a lot, but if there's one thing the Wings have a ton of it's guys that play a lot like Flip. Who don't cost $4-5 mil a year.

CloneHakanPlease*

Edit: wrong thread.

Wouldn't mind trying to take a nab at Stafford though. His value will probably never be lower.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
4 is reasonable. 5 is not!

I really do not want to lose filpulla, hope he is reasonable.

I don't really want to lose Flip, either, but there could be a lot of guys who could produce at his level on the market this summer. If we're looking to replace his production, we could look at anyone from a list of:

Ribiero
Boyes
Weiss
Clarkson
Horton
Roy
Antropov

and the list could go on. I'd be perfectly content to hit UFA and go bargain shopping. Someone will fall through the cracks and be had for a reasonable deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Wasn't comparing him to Filppula though. He is a streaky goal scorer that is big but doesn't always play as big as people want. When he gets hot he can carry a team and be completely unstoppable. Just think he is very similar to the Mule, actually part of the reason I like Stafford is for 4 million he is a guy that can flat out take you places when he is on and that is rare. But I just don't think this ends well, he will become a favorite target in these parts.

Will say this he has one of the better senses of humor in hockey, the Detroit media would love this guy.

I know you were'nt comparing Stafford with Filppula and all I'm saying Is that there numbers over there careers are Identical

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
4 is reasonable. 5 is not!

I really do not want to lose filpulla, hope he is reasonable.

Reasonable or not, you have to admit that between Nyquist, Tatar, and Jarnkrok, there is probably at least one player that can give you 15-20 goals and 40-50 points next year.

I'm not advocating keeping cap space just for its own sake, but it's pretty clear that they can replace Flip's production and they would be better off investing in defense.

I don't really want to lose Flip, either, but there could be a lot of guys who could produce at his level on the market this summer. If we're looking to replace his production, we could look at anyone from a list of:

Ribiero
Boyes
Weiss
Clarkson
Horton
Roy
Antropov

and the list could go on. I'd be perfectly content to hit UFA and go bargain shopping. Someone will fall through the cracks and be had for a reasonable deal.

I would personally be against signing any of those guys with the exception of Clarkson and maybe Horton.

Clarkson is precisely what the Wings need - a hard-nosed shooter and puncher who will do what needs to be done. Horton has a lot of potential but the injury bug may have taken its toll.

I'd rather overpay Clarkson than Flip, to be sure. As I said, I like Flip a lot but the Wings have a lot of Flips and not enough Clarksons. If they're going to spend on a forward, better that it be a guy like Clarkson.

I still think the defense needs a reboot. Out with White, CC, probably Q. In with Dekeyser and at least one other guy that knows how to play defensive zone hockey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would personally be against signing any of those guys with the exception of Clarkson and maybe Horton.

Clarkson is precisely what the Wings need - a hard-nosed shooter and puncher who will do what needs to be done. Horton has a lot of potential but the injury bug may have taken its toll.

I'd rather overpay Clarkson than Flip, to be sure. As I said, I like Flip a lot but the Wings have a lot of Flips and not enough Clarksons. If they're going to spend on a forward, better that it be a guy like Clarkson.

I still think the defense needs a reboot. Out with White, CC, probably Q. In with Dekeyser and at least one other guy that knows how to play defensive zone hockey.

With the forwards, I'm not overly for or against any of them. My first priority is seeing space for Nyquist, Tatar, and maybe Jarnkrok made for next year's team. After that, since I don't really see any of them as big difference makers, I'd be interested in the most cap friendly deal.

The one thing I can see shifting things is if Holland goes looking specifically for a center. With Helm's injury problems this year, and Datsyuk possibly leaving in a year, I wouldn't be surprised if we look to get a vet center to "stash" on the third line for a year, and to provide insurance as a top6 option for the first year or two if Datsyuk leaves.

RedWingsNow*

Trade Cleary and a 2nd Tier Prospect for a defensive, right-handed defenseman. Even if he's a bit expensive.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Trade Cleary and a 2nd Tier Prospect for a defensive, right-handed defenseman. Even if he's a bit expensive.

hans+moleman+at+the+dmv+the+simpsons.png

...I'm still not sure if that really says what I think it does.

The other GM would curse you out for trying to dump your trash on them and then they'd hang up the phone.

RedWingsNow*

Could Robidas be the answer for the Red Wings?
http://www.redwingsnow.com/2012-13/could-robidas-be-answer-red-wings
He's slowed down. But he still does a lot of things pretty well. He hits(76). He Blocks Shots (56). He has 5 giveaways. he plays 22 minutes a night, including 2 minutes on the PP and 3+ on the PK.

I wonder if he'd be too expensive? I'd be willing to trade Lashoff and/or Andersson if they were willing to take on a Cleary

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I'd like to see them go after Marian Gaborik ,Drew Stafford, Alexander Semin, or Bobby Ryan. 1 or 2 of these guys would be fantastic and make us a lot deeper. We have guys we can get rid of to make room (Cleary, Bertuzzi, Sammy, Eaves, Miller, Emmerton...) I wouldn't be upset to see a prospect or two and or a pick or two to land a big producing forward or two like these.

RedWingsNow*

I'd like to see them go after Marian Gaborik ,Drew Stafford, Alexander Semin, or Bobby Ryan. 1 or 2 of these guys would be fantastic and make us a lot deeper. We have guys we can get rid of to make room (Cleary, Bertuzzi, Sammy, Eaves, Miller, Emmerton...) I wouldn't be upset to see a prospect or two and or a pick or two to land a big producing forward or two like these.

Semin is a UFA who currently makes $7.6M a year. Why would Carolina move him anyway? They're in the thick of the playoff race and just two points out of the division lead.

Ryan...Lordy. He's only 26. He's a big, talented forward with 4 straight 30+ goal seasons to his name. It's hard to imagine that we have the bluechip prospect we'd need to trade for him.

Now Gaborik... I can see. He's only 31. He's super expensive and the Rangers are going to need to cut salary.

On the other hand, he's 31--and if we have to trade Tatar and Sproul... I for a guy who's 31...that's a big price, considering the age of the rest of our better players.

I'd consider trading Franzen + Andersson or Aubrey and a 2nd for Gaborik. But even then, while Gaborik makes us better than Franzen, IMO, Gaborik costs $7.5M

So essentially, he costs us Franzen + Flip.

Stafford? They should give this guy away after his last couple years. I'd take him -- but only if we shipped out a forward from our roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad