GDT: Trade Deadline Thread | Judgement Day

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Just saw this, let’s test my own memory without fact checking, pretty sure I can nail all of them
Linden Vey (Garrison)
Brandon Sutter ( Bieksa)
(Brisebois) Lack
Rathbone and Goldobin(Hansen)
Travis Dermott (Schmidt)
Dermott was acquired by Allvin so that’s 1/4 for Jimbo, hurray!!

Edit: after fact checking, I missed Palmu, Plasrk, Gunnerrson and Kepprn, pretty close though

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Just saw this, let’s test my own memory without fact checking, pretty sure I can nail all of them
Linden Vey (Garrison)
Brandon Sutter ( Bieksa)
(Brisebois) Lack
Rathbone and Goldobin(Hansen)
Travis Dermott (Schmidt)
Dermott was acquired by Allvin so that’s 1/4 for Jimbo, hurray!!

What an odd original tweet.

No kidding that we got less for Motte than a bunch of guys who were viewed as far better assets at the time than Motte is now.

Reactions: geebaan

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is such a weird market post-Benning.

GMs do regular stuff properly : OMG AMAZING.

Our team trades a pick for any player aged 22-26 : OH THE AGE GAP PTSD.

I will say that Montreal's work on the Lehkonen deal was amazing. Like, I think he's probably a worse player than Tanner Pearson and after arbitration will probably be getting similar money to Pearson for the next few years. And they got a well-developing #1 pick + a 2nd rounder. Crazy. Of all the deals made, that one blows my mind.

Yeah.

We have to stop treating Jim Benning as the bar. Being better than Benning is not the goal. Like I’m glad we at least got something for Motte and I didn’t expect much from this TDL all things considered, but also it’s fair to say JR/Allvin didn’t do anything spectacular here. They essentially met the bar that we would reasonably expect had we not been subjected to 7 TDLs under Benning.

I am glad to get a C or C+ for once instead of the annual F but an A+ would have required a bit more creativity and/or risk-taking.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Okay, but what exactly? Everyone's literally complaining about nothing happening, but no one is actually willing to give any examples of what trade they wanted to see happen today.

Honestly, I was expecting that if any big trade was happening it was going to be a good player with a bad player to wash the contract away (was thinking a Myers, Garland duo for a meh return).

Not sure what people think was going to happen with Millers value being too high for ppl to afford, Garland being wanted but not exactly shopped, and half a roster with overpaid contracts.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I wish we had Anaheim’s braintrust. Within a week they completely restocked and loaded up on picks …. We picked up a 37 year old

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Sure but Toffoli went early because their GM stuck to his guns, even as Montreal was turning things around under MSL. Trade deadline is really a month long- our management team chose to hold on to far fetched playoff hopes.
I don’t think any of us would be happy to get the same package the Habs got for Toffoli, never mind the fact that the Habs are in a full rebuild and everything is for sale for them.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
What are you talking about ? I don’t see specific praise in here. Just understanding of the fact that mgmt didn’t have to do anything except either re-sign or her value for Motte. I imagine, considering they held out to the final minutes, it was the best offer.

Also, the previous regime got absolutely nothing for players in Motte’s situation and they pretty much all had considerably more value; Hamhuis, Markstrom, Tanev.

If the previous regime walked away with a 4th for Hamhuis and said, “that was the best offer”, I would give them the same review as Allvin n co.
Yup
The previous regime only ever made two selling moves at the TDL, got Goldobin (a meh prospect) and a 4th for Hansen who was without a doubt better than Motte, got Dahlen for Burrows.
All we have to show for those two trades now is Rathbone and you can’t even really give credit to the GM for a 4th round lick

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah.

We have to stop treating Jim Benning as the bar. Being better than Benning is not the goal. Like I’m glad we at least got something for Motte and I didn’t expect much from this TDL all things considered, but also it’s fair to say JR/Allvin didn’t do anything spectacular here. They essentially met the bar that we would reasonably expect had we not been subjected to 7 TDLs under Benning.

I am glad to get a C or C+ for once instead of the annual F but an A+ would have required a bit more creativity and/or risk-taking.

Yeah. I give ‘em a confident C.

Did what needed to be done with Motte. Not trading him would be egregious. Didn’t get a return I would have liked, but what can one do if that’s the offer.

But did some apt work turning Hamonic into Dermott. I do think Dermott can develop into a top 4 dman.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I wish we had Anaheim’s braintrust. Within a week they completely restocked and loaded up on picks …. We picked up a 37 year old
Im jealous too but we don’t have 4 high pedigree pending UFAs, we have Motte, Hunt, Chiasson and Halak

We also didn’t start losing at a convenience time like the ducks, except we kept winning which probably triggered the delusional Franky

Reactions: geebaan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah.

Yeah, this was basically 'the bar'.

Didn't f*** up, at least got something for the one useful pending UFA.

But to have a high grade they needed to do something quality or unexpected - great return for Motte, creative deal to get out from Myers and get some assets, etc.

Or obviously hit a home run on Miller. Or Boeser.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Again, easy to do when you have 5 marketable players as pending UFAs as opposed to junk signed long-term on bad contracts by Jim Benning.
Vs upcoming rfa’s? Or team friendly contracts like JT or Garland?

We had plenty of pieces to deal but clearly FA is not allowing a rebuild so we will just continue to be a marginal team

50 years and counting

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

We had plenty of pieces to deal but clearly FA is not allowing a rebuild so we will just continue to be a marginal team

50 years and counting

Very few big ticket players with term or RFAs were moved.

They were very clearly trying to move a few of these guys, if not Miller.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

50 years and counting
I would argue high pedigree UFAs are more attractive than JT and Garland.
Yes having term is nice and all but for contending team your AAV need to be very low, like Hagel/Coleman level low to be valuable

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It may not have been deadline add.

Could have been Kassian.

Which IIRC coincides with major decline.

Or, could have been when he was a duck.

Again, I don't think there's any way it was Kassian.

Kassian has always been a hugely popular dressing room guy and Hodgson was apparently *hated* by the vets here - IIRC they sewed a C on his jersey at one point because he was so full of himself.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Pass it to Bulis makes a compelling case that the chemistry disruptor was Derek Roy

Derek Roy, on the other hand, had a slightly less sterling reputation. He was called cocky and prickly as a rookie with the Buffalo Sabres, then labeled — fairly or unfairly — a “locker room cancer” by Sabres fans.

Or consider this comment from Nail Yakupov, who played with Roy on the Edmonton Oilers.

“The first five or six games with Derek I was scared of him,” said Yakupov. “He would be yelling or swearing at me, but it was worth it.”

As the tail end of that quote suggests, Yakupov eventually saw Roy as a positive influence, saying that he “gave me so much support.” But it’s easier to see how a prickly player like Roy might upset the chemistry of a team like the 2012-13 Canucks, particularly when you don’t have a full season to get to know him and warm up to him.

Two years after leaving the Canucks, Roy was out of the NHL entirely despite still being reasonably productive at the age of 31.

“I can’t believe nobody in the NHL will sign Derek,” lamented his agent.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

50 years and counting

Stop with this baseless aquiline conjecture. It’s tired, and scapegoating.

If a good deal was on the table, every sign suggests they would have taken it. But nothing needed to be forced so thankfully they didn’t make a bad deal for the sake of pleasing the half a dozen rabid fans paying attention today.

Reactions: B-rock

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Im jealous too but we don’t have 4 high pedigree pending UFAs, we have Motte, Hunt, Chiasson and Halak

We also didn’t start losing at a convenience time like the ducks, except we kept winning which probably triggered the delusional Franky
I agree Franky is delusional and has had JB convince him this roster is competitive when in reality its old, weak, small and slow

We had pieces that were better than ufa rentals, we had guys that could help teams and still have some friendly term

We just have to admit an overhaul is required around a very small core

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Stop with this baseless aquiline conjecture. It’s tired, and scapegoating.

If a good deal was on the table, every sign suggests they would have taken it. But nothing needed to be forced so thankfully they didn’t make a bad deal for the sake of pleasing the half a dozen rabid fans paying attention today.
Yet another koolaid drinking fan happily accepting 50 years of losing

Fa’s kind of “fan”

Pay your money for tickets and shut up

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Again, I don't think there's any way it was Kassian.

Kassian has always been a hugely popular dressing room guy and Hodgson was apparently *hated* by the vets here - IIRC they sewed a C on his jersey at one point because he was so full of himself.

One can be popular and screw up the team chemistry. You get new cool guy kassian draggin all the boys to the bar every weekend? Other Canucks names make even less sense; roy.

Booth was one weird dude tho. (Met him a couple times. So upbeat I assumed he serial killed.)

I doubt we’ll fully ever know but maybe if we relentlessly tweet at Bieksa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad