GDT: Trade Deadline Thread | Judgement Day

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Really disappointed.

I understand you have to be patient.

But the Canucks are in this stage where we need bold moves to make significant changes to make sure we don't waste the prime of the core.

Its not a simple rebuild where we afford to take our time.

I don't see how Boeser/Miller will have more value in the offseason.

And somehow the player that we should not trade seemed to get the most attention - Garland.

I think management showed too much loyalty to a group of players who simply haven't won anything.

And on the deals that we made. Getting a 3rd for Hamonic was a good deal.

However didn't like the Dermott for a 3rd and Motte for a 4th. Look at it this way would you trade Motte for Dermott? - I wouldn't.

Looks like management overplayed their hands- intially the reports were that they were asking for a top 40 pick.

Sounds like they got greedy and when all the teams spent their chips on the last day, canucks took a 4th to salvage something. Read the market wrong.

Not a big deal, but we might have went to a GM with 0 patience to a GM who has too much patience.

Probably the latter is better but this team really needs someone bold to make the tough decisions - and core's prime is ticking away.

Honestly, without JT Miller this "core" completely sucks. Hughes is young enough that he will still be in his prime in 3 years. The rest of it just isn't good enough.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Allvin saying a lot of nothing. I can neither confirm nor deny interest in our signed players.

He also sounds like Rutherford gave him covid.

Wait, for reals I'm just reading in the Athletic that Rutherford has COVID and has been symptomatic – was this already reported and I just missed it?

edit: OK, I see the news broke on March 17... I was offline most of the day, figures/

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Honestly, without JT Miller this "core" completely sucks. Hughes is young enough that he will still be in his prime in 3 years. The rest of it just isn't good enough.
Yeah.. 1RW is Garland or Boeser.. 1 LW is Hoglander or Pearson.. 1C is Pettersson or Horvat..

I mean once Miller is gone, the question is who's next? The youngest forwards are Hoglander, Podkolzin and Pettersson

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Really disappointed.

I understand you have to be patient.

But the Canucks are in this stage where we need bold moves to make significant changes to make sure we don't waste the prime of the core.

Its not a simple rebuild where we afford to take our time.

I don't see how Boeser/Miller will have more value in the offseason.

And somehow the player that we should not trade seemed to get the most attention - Garland.

I think management showed too much loyalty to a group of players who simply haven't won anything.

And on the deals that we made. Getting a 3rd for Hamonic was a good deal.

However didn't like the Dermott for a 3rd and Motte for a 4th. Look at it this way would you trade Motte for Dermott? - I wouldn't.

Looks like management overplayed their hands- intially the reports were that they were asking for a top 40 pick.

Sounds like they got greedy and when all the teams spent their chips on the last day, canucks took a 4th to salvage something. Read the market wrong.

Not a big deal, but we might have went to a GM with 0 patience to a GM who has too much patience.

Probably the latter is better but this team really needs someone bold to make the tough decisions - and core's prime is ticking away.

There's no point in dumping players at the deadline if teams weren't willing to offer fair value for them.

Miller's value at the deadline, with 50% retention is enourmous. The package for a 100point all situations center in their prime, who has a cap hit of $2.6m for this and the following season would be insane. It didn't sound like any team really wanted to commit to paying for that package at the deadline and I can understand it to some degree.

Offseason is probably better for Miller because there are always going to be teams that have a disastrous playoffs, and a desperate GM looking to make a big move.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Canucks dropped a very limited behind the scenes for the deadline. In the war room: Allvin, Clancey, Fox, Castonguay, Granato, Sedin, Sedin, Johnson, and looks like Boudreau stopped by.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Niiiiiiiice, I assume they'll stop doing this eventually just like they did for Benning.

Probably, if it paints the organization or management in a bad light like Benning/Weisbrod behind the scenes videos. From the Kesler trade BTS alone we could have made a snap judgement on Benning and had him 100% pegged as someone who would do a lot of damage to this org.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Probably, if it paints the organization or management in a bad light like Benning/Weisbrod behind the scenes videos. From the Kesler trade BTS alone we could have made a snap judgement on Benning and had him 100% pegged as someone who would do a lot of damage to this org.
Yeah, without that video, it would be reasonable to assume Sbisa was a cap dump/throw-in player. But nope, he was specifically targeted and described as "rugged" if memory serves correct.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know this management team has already been more open and shown more spine in 3 or so months then Benning did in 8 years.

How many times has Allvin already done media appearances whether press conferences or radio spots? I think we'll get lots of videos like this. They don't really say anything but they give fans a fun inside look.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don't know this management team has already been more open and shown more spine in 3 or so months then Benning did in 8 years.

How many times has Allvin already done media appearances whether press conferences or radio spots? I think we'll get lots of videos like this. They don't really say anything but they give fans a fun inside look.
We used to get this stuff frequently until really quickly it was obvious that john and jim didn’t like this stuff so access became very minimal.

Think it was also bad PR because you had one poorly spoken guy who couldn’t articulate anything and then a guy who was well spoken who just talked nonsense.

JR and PA are both incredibly articulate and they say the right things to the media.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
One thing that keeps giving me hope is that every person now is repeating the same mantra of compete for a cup. No make the playoffs type low bar bullshit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We used to get this stuff frequently until really quickly it was obvious that john and jim didn’t like this stuff so access became very minimal.

Think it was also bad PR because you had one poorly spoken guy who couldn’t articulate anything and then a guy who was well spoken who just talked nonsense.

JR and PA are both incredibly articulate and they say the right things to the media.

They basically got rid of anything where Benning had to interact with the fanbase because he was so embarrassing. No interviews, no fan summits, no behind-the-scenes videos, no nothing.

Post-2017, Benning did 1-2 media availabilities/year and that was it. A couple years ago the Vegas GM did more media spots in our market than the Vancouver GM. It was insane.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Not sure if it’s “spine” or based on HR’s direction. Like, there’s a chance that the Canucks’ media team discouraged Benning from appearing for press conferences as much as possible because he was so poorly spoken. Maybe it’s a combo of both.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My memory was that the media availability ended when Linden was fired, but it may have been earlier.

Benning was being hidden before that but we were seeing a lot more of Linden circa 2017 so at least there was still a media presence from the organization and some accountability. After Linden's firing, things basically just went dark.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Unless Petey reverts to what he was in his first 2 years the only path towards a cup contender is a complete teardown.
i honestly think they know this as well which is why i think they'll be doing this sly near-full rebuild where you end up like drw and you're basically only holding larkin or better players but also like if anyone makes a big offer, you'll trade those guys as well.

what we've seen from petey this year is hella terrifying but young players can look so diff season to season so idk. what we saw from petey in 18 and 19 was nuts. just the way he thought about things, competed in going to the right areas.

they really do need a sports psychologist. that mfer looked like a world beater

Reactions: Orr4Norris

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Speaking of spirts psychology i hope JR gets Aqualini to open his wallet on the support staff and facilities. New player development team, Psychologists, sleep doctors the whole nine yards.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00