GDT: Trade Deadline Thread | Judgement Day

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Also… why did he have Anaheim on his no-trade list. I feel like all players want to go to cali! He played in bloody Ottawa, how is Anaheim worse?

All in all a really crappy spot to be in… go to a team you didn’t want to play for or stay on one that clearly wants to get rid of your contract. Rock/hard place?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Also… why did he have Anaheim on his no-trade list. I feel like all players want to go to cali! He played in bloody Ottawa, how is Anaheim worse?

All in all a really crappy spot to be in… go to a team you didn’t want to play for or stay on one that clearly wants to get rid of your contract. Rock/hard place?
Taxes

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It could really only be David Booth?
The article by Wagner seems to indicate it was Derek Roy. Seems was called a lockerroom cancer in Buffalo, and his agent was suprised when at 31 no team would sign him.

For some reason i have NO memory of that player lol

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I don't think it's up to Dadanov at all anymore.

This will be a pretty intense and thorough investigation dating back to the original Dadanov to VGK trade and all documentation submitted at that time.

League will have to rule whether the trade that was submitted minutes prior to the deadline was valid or not—it would shock me if they said it's not valid due to no waiving of NTC and then go to Dadanov and say "well would you like to waive or not" because if it's not valid, then the trade as submitted prior to the deadline is null and void.

They could still make the deal after the deadline, but the players involved would be ineligible for the playoffs (and possibly the rest of the season?)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Could be Booth or could be Derek Roy in 2013 conceivably, no?

The article by Wagner seems to indicate it was Derek Roy. Seems was called a lockerroom cancer in Buffalo, and his agent was suprised when at 31 no team would sign him.

Yeah, sounds like it could have been Roy too. Although that team in 12-13 was not playing well before the deadline and then actually went on a run post-deadline to win the division from Minnesota.

As an aside on Roy, I had a former coworker who grew up playing hockey with Roy in Ottawa and apparently Roy’s father was a stereotypical nightmare hockey dad who would belittle him in front of his friends for playing poorly, was abusive to refs, etc. His impression was that Roy as a kid hated hockey because of it and he wasn’t surprised he turned into a partier/drinker during his career and went off the rails at a young age.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Yeah, sounds like it could have been Roy too. Although that team in 12-13 was not playing well before the deadline and then actually went on a run post-deadline to win the division from Minnesota.

As an aside on Roy, I had a former coworker who grew up playing hockey with Roy in Ottawa and apparently Roy’s father was a stereotypical nightmare hockey dad who would belittle him in front of his friends for playing poorly, was abusive to refs, etc. His impression was that Roy as a kid hated hockey because of it and he wasn’t surprised he turned into a partier/drinker during his career and went off the rails at a young age.
Not really surprising. Toxic people (if the rumors now and in the past about him are true) are often traumatized people.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
After literally the last game we played both Miller and Schenn criticized the preparation and compete level of their teammates. Its crazy. Crazy because this kind of stuff just doesn’t happen and even more crazy how little traction it gets in the media.

This dressing room is a mess and has been since 2020.
Yeah, losing Tanev for nothing was unforgiveable.

Benning made a number of bad moves in his tenure, but this was one came from ownership. I know this firmly from a close source who occasionally tells me things.

Anyhow, the point is, you are right about the comments. The Canucks are slightly rudderless.

Boeser has looked appalling this year. I have to attribute it to injury because I believe I heard he was nursing something from the start of the year. If he's not hurt and this is just how out of shape he showed up to camp and couldn't catch up or something, it's tough to forgive.

Petey I think will learn from this. He's been hurt, and until the last year and a half was known as being almost psychotically dedicated to the sport.

He comes from a small town, makes it big and becomes a celebrity here. Stays here during Covid times over the summer and puts too much priority on social media and loses track of himself. Kind of a pop-psychology take from afar, but I think it's not without merit.

I think the gambit is, do you think he will figure it out and find himself again. Personally I am resolutely convinced that he will.

Boeser, I think will find his game again next year as well, but I'm far less resolutely against dealing him. I just worry about dealing him at the absolute nadir of his value.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Roy CHiggs Kes line.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Really disappointed.

I understand you have to be patient.

But the Canucks are in this stage where we need bold moves to make significant changes to make sure we don't waste the prime of the core.

Its not a simple rebuild where we afford to take our time.

I don't see how Boeser/Miller will have more value in the offseason.

And somehow the player that we should not trade seemed to get the most attention - Garland.

I think management showed too much loyalty to a group of players who simply haven't won anything.

And on the deals that we made. Getting a 3rd for Hamonic was a good deal.

However didn't like the Dermott for a 3rd and Motte for a 4th. Look at it this way would you trade Motte for Dermott? - I wouldn't.

Looks like management overplayed their hands- intially the reports were that they were asking for a top 40 pick.

Sounds like they got greedy and when all the teams spent their chips on the last day, canucks took a 4th to salvage something. Read the market wrong.

Not a big deal, but we might have went to a GM with 0 patience to a GM who has too much patience.

Probably the latter is better but this team really needs someone bold to make the tough decisions - and core's prime is ticking away.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Really disappointed.

I understand you have to be patient.

But the Canucks are in this stage where we need bold moves to make significant changes to make sure we don't waste the prime of the core.

Its not a simple rebuild where we afford to take our time.

I don't see how Boeser/Miller will have more value in the offseason.

And somehow the player that we should not trade seemed to get the most attention - Garland.

I think management showed too much loyalty to a group of players who simply haven't won anything.

And on the deals that we made. Getting a 3rd for Hamonic was a good deal.

However didn't like the Dermott for a 3rd and Motte for a 4th. Look at it this way would you trade Motte for Dermott? - I wouldn't.

Looks like management overplayed their hands- intially the reports were that they were asking for a top 40 pick.

Sounds like they got greedy and when all the teams spent their chips on the last day, canucks took a 4th to salvage something. Read the market wrong.

Not a big deal, but we might have went to a GM with 0 patience to a GM who has too much patience.

Probably the latter is better but this team really needs someone bold to make the tough decisions - and core's prime is ticking away.
I would 100% trade Motte for Dermott
4th liner forward area abundance and yes Motte is a 4th liner, he’s only a 3rd liner on bad team like us

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Since the start of the bubble Motte has scored at a 15+ goal clip from 15+ minutes of icetime. And is exceptional defensively. That’s a 3rd liner on virtually any team.
Well the league conception is that he’s a 4th liner, I believe he’s overrated by our homerism
To me Pearson is the definition of 3rd liner

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I hope they do something down the stretch here to make these games interesting. Even though we are out of it, we play a lot of teams in the dog fight that are trying to make it.

Think they should shut down Petey, OEL for the year. Replace with Rathbone, whichever forward and absolutely go bananas.

Use Horvat in a secondary scoring role, just throw together some random ass line as their matchup line and allow certain players to sink or swim in what is their hypothetical ideal roles or to up trade values, etc.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I'm not even a Motte fan and imo I think he would fit Tampa like a glove and be great addition to them.

Just his ability to pk would be a good addition to any playoff team really.

Even though he's not big/fighter, I thought against Vegas in the bubble Motte was one of our better forwards.

When the canucks were hemmed in the whole series. Motte was one of the few who can battle through that kind of forecheck.

Like the difference between Hagel and Motte shouldn't be this giant valuation gap. Hagel in Tampa bot 6 I doubt scores anywhere near where he scores in Chicago.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well the league conception is that he’s a 4th liner, I believe he’s overrated by our homerism
To me Pearson is the definition of 3rd liner

Tanner Pearson is on pace for 45 points this year. He’d be a good 3rd liner on some teams but is putting up 2nd line production. He’s a middle-6 guy.

Motte has been playing 3rd line minutes and getting 3rd line results since the bubble. But perceptions are slow to change, especially until he stays healthy and has a 15+ goal season for the back of his hockey card.

Reactions: geebaan

Frostage

May 23, 2014
I'm fine with the trade deadline, pretty much what I expected.

The Draft and Offseason will tell us a lot about the current management team.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
On a positive, Garland is still here.

these are the players to move not Garland:

Myers
OEL - i know its unmoveable
Miller
Boeser
Dickinson
Poolman

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Have to agree about this defensive media position that has formed. It's been a huge mess behind the scenes and the management-ownership issues has only been half of it. It's crazy how protective they are being.

Pettersson Boeser and Hughes is essentially RNH Eberle and Hall right now. Some tough decisions to be made on all 3 of them as well as Miller and Horvat for other reasons.

The biggest move by this collection of people they have brought in is deciding who is gonna buy in and is capable of playing for the uniform above their own personal egos.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Have to agree about this defensive media position that has formed. It's been a huge mess behind the scenes and the management-ownership issues has only been half of it. It's crazy how protective they are being.

Pettersson Boeser and Hughes is essentially RNH Eberle and Hall right now. Some tough decisions to be made on all 3 of them as well as Miller and Horvat for other reasons.

The biggest move by this collection of people they have brought in is deciding who is gonna buy in and is capable of playing for the uniform above their own personal egos.
Hughes to NJ for Holtz, Mercer + 2022 1st

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm fine with the trade deadline, pretty much what I expected.

The Draft and Offseason will tell us a lot about the current management team.

The thing is...

The exact same excuses (that were used to defend them this TDL) can be used here to defend their non-moves next summer.

"They just refused to budge on their asking price and it takes two to tango for trades to work out."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad