GDT: Trade Deadline Thread | Judgement Day

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All the guys they traded for aren’t signed through this season. Could be that they want cap flexibility and getting Miller doesn’t give that to them in some sense.
They can always not qualify Lehkonen I guess. But Miller at $5.25 mill is a good 1 year acquisition.

Always seems that nhl clubs value those 3/4th line guys who are hard to play against.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Verbeek and Gorton get As in their first trade deadlines I’m pretty jealous
You also need assets. Anaheim had 2 valuable top 4 D plus a winger. Again, if the Canucks were willing to take the rackell return they probably could have moved Boeser for that. But they were not going that route.

Verbeek needs to support Drysdale and not leave him handling like Benning did to Hughes.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Just got out of a gruelling meeting with my board. how'd we do? Did they make any moves today?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
You also need assets. Anaheim had 2 valuable top 4 D plus a winger. Again, if the Canucks were willing to take the rackell return they probably could have moved Boeser for that. But they were not going that route.

Verbeek needs to support Drysdale and not leave him handling like Benning did to Hughes.
We once had that kind of asset as pending UFA, his name was Dan Hamhuis

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They can always not qualify Lehkonen I guess. But Miller at $5.25 mill is a good 1 year acquisition.

Always seems that nhl clubs value those 3/4th line guys who are hard to play against.
I don’t disagree with y’all. It seems like someone need to remind Sakic how he got a cup, his GM got him superstars every trade deadline.

Reactions: MS

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
I guess the big moves will have to wait until the offseason/draft.

IF the offers werent good enough and jr/allvin tried their best, then its better off not to trade big pieces just for the sake of making a splash at tdl.

By draft, either miller is re-signed or he is getting traded by draft day.

Bettman: "we have a trade to announce..."

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gave it a few hours post-deadline here, but here's where I'm at.

Maybe I'm being dramatic, but this was really a disheartening trade deadline for me when it comes to being a fan of this team. It's pretty obvious for awhile that this team isn't good enough and I really hoped that this last week was enough to push the team to make some changes and I wanted to see it start today.

In terms of what they actually did - even though it happened yesterday, I still think moving Hamonic for a 3rd is a fantastic move. I don't really think this team is in position to be trading draft picks for mid-level players, but the Dermott deal was okay enough. I think maybe they waited too long on Motte and they probably had opportunities for a higher pick in recent weeks, but I'm sure they took the best they could and I'm okay with it.

Not moving Halak was inevitable today, but it was so preventable that it's frustrating how it went down. Giving him that "bonus" game where he played terrible and triggered the bonus absolutely cratered any value he had in the league but it also killed any leverage we had against him in terms of asking him to waive earlier as I'm sure he wanted to hit that bonus. This thing should have been taken care of when Martin got called up and played well. At the end of the day I don't think 1.25 million next year and whatever the return would have been for Halak two months ago (late rounder) will end up hurting the team so much... but as someone who was very critical of the last management team and them bleeding value in minor transactions I think the same thing happened here.

I'm very curious what the offers were out there for Schenn. I think they were probably quite good and that may have been a missed opportunity. I didn't think any other blueline deals were realistic, despite what was floating around out there in terms of Myers/Hunt/etc.

The Boeser situation was interesting to me because many people on this board had it nailed that his value was going to be severely crippled by his QO (despite early reports from media like Seravalli being contrary) and at that end of the day I think they probably just didn't get an offer they liked.

I had really warmed up to the idea of moving Garland because it seems like teams valued his contract stability. Or maybe I was just starved for this team doing something big that resembled them looking more than 5 minutes into the future, I don't know. There should have been a market there for a very good return, one of those 1st+top prospect+cap dump deals you see fairly often.

Lastly on Miller - I don't believe that there weren't good offers on Miller. He's one of the top forwards in the league this year, has position flexibility and can play anywhere on special teams. You can play him anywhere in the top 9 and he'll fit on any roster. There is no reason that this team couldn't have retained on him, meaning you're getting all that for this playoff drive and then next year. The value he presented was of a guy who was worth 3-4 key building blocks for the future. The only logical explanation was that they pulled him off the trade board within the last couple of weeks. If they end up re-signing him a good contract - then fine, whatever. But this was the ultimate peak of the player's value today. The contract, the production, the intangibles.. this was the spot. I think this was a massive missed opportunity to create the base for the next decade of the team with a boatload of assets in a return and I think they may have blown it. The value in the summer won't be the same. I don't buy the "well the acquiring team can extend him in the summer so he's worth more" narrative. It's BS. They can get him for a cheap playoff run and sign him anyway. Or get him for the cheap playoff run and then re-sell him for a (smaller) boatload themselves if they can't work out a deal. Major, major missed opportunity here.

Not much reason to watch things the rest of the way here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Verbeek and Gorton get As in their first trade deadlines I’m pretty jealous

To be fair, those teams had 4-5 fairly high-profile pending UFAs.

If all of Pearson/Myers/OEL/Dickinson/Miller were pending UFAs I'm sure Allvin/Rutherford would have picked up a pile of draft picks, too. But we really only had Motte ... and then untradeable junk like Halak and Chiasson.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
All the guys they traded for aren’t signed through this season. Could be that they want cap flexibility and getting Miller doesn’t give that to them in some sense.
My guess is Joe Sakic believes they have enough top 6 scoring this off season and next season they would have plenty of cap space to replace Kadri

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

If all of Pearson/Myers/OEL/Dickinson/Miller were pending UFAs I'm sure Allvin/Rutherford would have picked up a pile of draft picks, too. But we really only had Motte ... and then untradeable junk like Halak and Chiasson.

Bingo. I said this in the deadline grade thread but we really weren't completely tee'd up to get an "A" grade like the Ducks. We had a one meaningful pending UFA, a depth winger, without any trade protection and we traded them. Ducks had four, including three guys with a history of success while playing premium positions.

Sometimes you have the right UFAs at the right time in your team's lifecycle, and your season goes to the toilet at the right moment. That's the nature of things when it comes to teams at the deadline.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
None retired. Ask Lu on Twitter or something why he felt it was better for him to retire vs land on ltir and collect his remaining $3.6 mill?

He’s involved in fla management now. Maybe he wasn’t permitted to actual be part of a team while in ltir despite all of the stuff that Pronger working for the nhl or going into TV while in ltir like that TB player and former ranger did.
Florida's management convinced him to retire because it would save them $900k or something like that. To qualify for LTIR, he would have had to report for medical screenings and there was some question as to whether he was injured enough to not play again, and if not, Florida would have been on the hook. It was just easier to retire and take the front office job, Canucks cap recapture be damned. It wasn't Luongo's problem anymore, he's a Panther, not a Canuck.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t disagree with y’all. It seems like someone need to remind Sakic how he got a cup, his GM got him superstars every trade deadline.
Fluery, Bourque and Blake in 3 successive TDL. And they lost Forsberg in 2001. Lacroix was not afraid to push all in. Pre salary cap of course.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Bingo. I said this in the deadline grade thread but we really weren't completely tee'd up to get an "A" grade like the Ducks. We had a one meaningful pending UFA, a depth winger, without any trade protection and we traded them. Ducks had four, including three guys with a history of success while playing premium positions.

Sometimes you have the right UFAs at the right time in your team's lifecycle, and your season goes to the toilet at the right moment. That's the nature of things when it comes to teams at the deadline.
I know I’m beating the dead horse here but
had we fired Jimbo a bit earlier, we could have traded Pearson’s last season and Roussel this season.🥴

Reactions: Dab and drax0s

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

Sure but Toffoli went early because their GM stuck to his guns, even as Montreal was turning things around under MSL. Trade deadline is really a month long- our management team chose to hold on to far fetched playoff hopes.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I know I’m beating the dead horse here but
had we fired Jimbo a bit earlier, we could have traded Pearson’s last season and Roussel this season.🥴

Sorry did I miss something? Was Roussel traded? I didn't see any news.

Kesler got traded though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll also add that 'winning' at the trade deadline is a fascinating exercise in perception.

Anaheim is a young team that took major strides this year and came close to being in the playoff hunt, and certainly want to build off that to be in the playoffs in 2023 ... but they're 'winners' because they got some magic beans for their two best defensive defenders (including their 27 y/o top all-situations defender) and now have to completely rebuild their blueline.

Late 2nd round picks >>>> actual good NHL players and actually building a quality team to most fans.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Needed Boeser and Schenn traded today for sure. Was hoping we could get something for Halak, Hunt, and maybe even offload Poolman/Myers/Dickinson, and get a huge return on Miller, but that was wishful thinking.

This is just disappointing.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Wait, what.

Ryan Kesler was traded?

Anaheim takes on a crap contract and Vegas cashes in to bring Martinez or Stone back.

Wish we had f***ing cap space to pull off these deals.

Instead Dickinson (2.65), Poolman (2.5), OEL (7.25) and Halak/Virtanen/Holtby (4) are on the books next year for a combined total of 16.2 mil against the cap next year. For immovable crap.

And to think I was bitching about Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel and Sutter who only took up nearly the same cap space.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad