GDT: Trade Deadline - This Time, it's Personnel

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Chevy all but comes out and says the interest in Buff has waned since he has let it be known that he wont play this year.

No one wants Byfuglien at his current price tag, and the team didn't terminate/waive his contract. Buff sits until the end of the season and retires, is my guess.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Crazy price for Pageau. Wonder if it drives up the cost for Kreider although there's gotta be a price where the buyers just turn and run.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Kulikov is underrated on these boards, like I thought Chiarot and Tanev were. He's a pretty decent defenseman, and solid, compared to what we have. He's sort of a utility defenseman --not a star, but very reliable, and the Jet's cannot afford to lose a guy like this, with what they have left to fill his spot. Kulikov is staying here IMO.

Reactions: thegr8one66

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Not a chance. Kulikov might be the Jets' best LD at this point... Let that sink in.

He's remarkably inconsistent though for a veteran. He's been probably our second best D on the whole for the past month, but easily could be one of the worst in the next month.

I'm really scared that the circumstances of this season will result in the Jets re-signing Kulikov to another 2 or 3 year deal at a similar cap hit.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Kulikov is underrated on these boards, like I thought Chiarot and Tanev were. He's a pretty decent defenseman, and solid, compared to what we have. He's sort of a utility defenseman --not a star, but very reliable, and the Jet's cannot afford to lose a guy like this, with what they have left to fill his spot. Kulikov is staying here IMO.

When he's good reliable is a fair word. It's not often enough though to call him reliable over an 82 game season. He's not very good.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Hes not being dealt but id be shocked if we sign him to a new contract

Reactions: Rheged

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Montreal and Ottawa are just flush with picks and prospects. With half-decent management they should be at the top of Atlantic in the next 4-5 years.

Well Pageau was the last of the Sens players who was supposed to be part of the last wave of Senators success after a rebuild. They're going nowhere with Melnyk there. Although anything is possible I guess.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't remember how well the lottery rules work any more haha.. if it's not top three can they only move so far now? 3 lottery picks either way is pretty great haha.

NYI is lottery protected. If NYI finishes 15th and wins the lottery NYI still get the pick. If NYI finishes 14th in standings and the 15th OA team wins the lottery then NYI picks 15th

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Dont Trade
Ehlers

I 2nd that from PhilJets --I just don't know why all these rumours start about Ehlers when he's one of the "best" and fastest players on the Jets, signed to a very reasonable contract. You just don't trade off guys like that --you try to aquire them -- and it's very hard, or impossible too.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

I 2nd that from PhilJets --I just don't know why all these rumours start about Ehlers when he's one of the "best" and fastest players on the Jets, signed to a very reasonable contract. You just don't trade off guys like that --you try to aquire them -- and it's very hard, or impossible too.

What rumors? The ones a bunch of idiots in the basement on twitter start? JFC... Where's 1 reliable legit source? There isnt. FFS tsn has 42 guys ok their trade bait list.. Only Jet is Buff

Reactions: GNP

None

Feb 22, 2012
NYI is lottery protected. If NYI finishes 15th and wins the lottery NYI still get the pick. If NYI finishes 14th in standings and the 15th OA team wins the lottery then NYI picks 15th

I think it's lottery win protected, so Ottawa would get the 2020 pick in any situation where the NYI's don't get a top 3 pick.

What rumors? The ones a bunch of idiots in the basement on twitter start? JFC... Where's 1 reliable legit source? There isnt. FFS tsn has 42 guys ok their trade bait list.. Only Jet is Buff

Pierre Lebrun mentioned that the Jets were dangling young players and prospects and then there was also the talk about Kyle Connor that stemmed from Mike McIntyre.
Lebrun's talk was a little more tempered and sounded more like it was probably guys like Harkins, Niku, Stanley, or Suess rather than Kyle Connor or Nikolaj Ehlers.
Mike McIntyre as a source is pretty questionable (at least compared to Lebrun) given his background as a crime reporter first and foremost, but being a member of the media is going to spawn discussion regardless of validity.

All that said, Chevy's already done a live interview this morning on TSN, I think he's basically done.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Button says Heinola and Samberg are nhl ready. I think we know they’re great prospects but some wonder if Heinola starts next year with Jets. This looks pretty good next year doesn’t it?:
Jmo Pionk
Heinola Demelo
Samberg Poolman
Niku

I think we may add a D but I’m still convinced we need to add a centre instead.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

None

Feb 22, 2012
Kreider extended by the Rangers according to Dreger. I wonder if there's a GM out there throwing their phone right now because they thought he was more available?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Button says Heinola and Samberg are nhl ready. I think we know they’re great prospects but some wonder if Heinola starts next year with Jets. This looks pretty good next year doesn’t it?:
Jmo Pionk
Heinola Demelo
Samberg Poolman
Niku

I think we may add a D but I’m still convinced we need to add a centre instead.

I think we'd want to improve on at least one of Poolman or Niku. I think Poolman as #7 and a UFA add as #6 or 3-4-5 would be quite likely. I think Niku is 50/50 to be qualified and even if he is he might be heading home for a bit.

Nov 24, 2006
I'm not tapped into the Twitter world, but I do recall seeing tweets from someone like Lebrun, MacKenzie, etc tweeted that for sure Ehlers was out there as available for a D early in the season or just before the season started. I think there was something close with Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad