May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It seems like the intent though is to get to

Morrissey-De Melo
Kulikov-Pionk
Beaulieu-Sbisa
Niku-Poolman
Bitetto

Samberg jumps in wherever the biggest need is.

That's physicality on 2 of 3 pairings. The top one being more positional. Maybe the Jets want to use Poolman as a placeholder for Samberg, and keep Beaulieu and De Melo as the 1st unit PK, bottom pairing. That would even the size and speed out, with only Beaulieu/Sbisa as below average skaters. However getting 6 relatively healthy defensemen is probably the biggest task at this point of the season.
I mean, we can all agree that this looks horrible on paper right? Sbisa and Beaulieu are barely NHL calibre. Kulikov is passable as a bottom pairing guy but is in the top 4, DeMelo is passable as a #4 but on the top pairing.

Reactions: AKAChip

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I mean, we can all agree that this looks horrible on paper right? Sbisa and Beaulieu are barely NHL calibre. Kulikov is passable as a bottom pairing guy but is in the top 4, DeMelo is passable as a #4 but on the top pairing.

I agree it's not enough to go all the way. But win a round why not? Especially if you can get Samberg in there. Who's got a solid 1-6 defense in the West?

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It seems like the intent though is to get to

Morrissey-De Melo
Kulikov-Pionk
Beaulieu-Sbisa
Niku-Poolman
Bitetto

Samberg jumps in wherever the biggest need is.

That's physicality on 2 of 3 pairings. The top one being more positional. Maybe the Jets want to use Poolman as a placeholder for Samberg, and keep Beaulieu and De Melo as the 1st unit PK, bottom pairing. That would even the size and speed out, with only Beaulieu/Sbisa as below average skaters. However getting 6 relatively healthy defensemen is probably the biggest task at this point of the season.
Just as my issue with adding Niku when our D was smallish (when Heinola was playing) I thought the smart choice for D corps balance when Morrissey was out was to have Niku draw in. He's a lot closer to Morrissey's skillset than Bitteto

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That is not a physical enough top 6 to compete in the playoffs . Samberg could potential fit in next year but Poink Morrissey Niku each need a bigger more physical and more talanted D partner . Demelo as a top 4 is still a reach on a playoff team . imo
Depends on who they got to play with Morrissey. I actually think Pionk is plenty physical, far more than a guy like Poolman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad