Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline - So How About that Luongo Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't know, I am just worried that Roy isn't himself anymore. Every Dallas fan i've spoken to said he didn't really do anything special and every time he got hit or went down on the ice it took him forever to get back up. Said eakin was outplaying him.

With Kesler back, Roy should have a lighter load compared to when he was at Dallas.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The guy went from an expensive acquisition to - essentially - a salary dump in less then one season. And burned bridges on his (first) way out, on top of it.

IMO it's pretty clear he's not the player he was. He'll be 30 by the time the playoffs start - here's hoping he has enough left to give 'er good this spring!

Clearly not, even though he's on 60 point pace while playing defensively oriented minutes. Over the hill.

John Bender*

Clearly not, even though he's on 60 point pace while playing defensively oriented minutes. Over the hill.

The poster has a point. His point production has dropped sharply since his concussion issues. He may not be over the hill from an age perspective, but his game might be.

Clearly it's not clear how he is going to perform in Vancouver. Would you be surprised if he is ineffective? I won't be.

Dado

If there's one thing we've learned from all the Florida trades, ours and those of others, is that "big" points on bad teams is a dangerous hook to hang your hat on.

I'm hopeful he does well here - it would be great for the team and the city.

StanGrossman said:
Clearly it's not clear how he is going to perform in Vancouver. Would you be surprised if he is ineffective? I won't be.

That's my point, in sum and total. I don't *know* that he is declining - I am *concerned* that he is declining - and if it's my money, I'm not betting that he's our ticket to a deep run.

Gillis has made his bet - his right and his job to do so - nothing to be done now but enjoy the ride!

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Yeah, he was apparently playing through an injury earlier in the season but I didn't realize that 30 was the age when you start to hope a player has enough left. :laugh:

I just hope that Roy can find some chemistry with a set of wingers before the playoffs start and solidify the second PP unit. I'm hoping that he's essentially a quicker and more defensively responsible version of Hodgson last year.

Garth Butcher

Feb 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
possible post tdl lines

Sedin - Sedin - kassian
raymond - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Roy - Hansen

this could be a line option to start up coming games with.

- kassian got most of his points playing well beside the sedins.
- kassian, aka big boy is a good option with the sedins in smack the sedins around playoff hockey
- ray-kes-bur have played well before specially kes and bur (see secondary scoring)
- third line is defensively responsible (I hope) and may chip in offensively too
- we still have a few parts don't we? for a 4th line.

all wingers on the 2nd and 3rd lines can be interchangeable though... that awta keep AV happy with his changes

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The poster has a point. His point production has dropped sharply since his concussion issues. He may not be over the hill from an age perspective, but his game might be.

One thing I hope we've learned is that it is unlikely he steps right in and hits the ground running. After Garrison and Hamhuis and the criticism they took locally I hope people lay off Roy until he at least gets his bags unpacked. There's really no need to rate a trade a win or a bust after the first week.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wasn't Roy hurt when he was in Dallas? I could be wrong, just thought I heard that.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

What concussion? He hasn't had any in his career. He had a "left quadriceps tendon surgery."

He's on a 60 point pace playing easy minutes and not getting quite as many PP points as he's accustomed to. What exactly makes him not the same player as he used to be?

If there's one thing we've learned from all the Florida trades, ours and those of others, is that "big" points on bad teams is a dangerous hook to hang your hat on.

He was a 60-80 point player on a playoff team before.

John Bender*

I'm hopeful he does well here - it would be great for the team and the city.

That's my point, in sum and total. I don't *know* that he is declining - I am *concerned* that he is declining - and if it's my money, I'm not betting that he's our ticket to a deep run.

Gillis has made his bet - his right and his job to do so - nothing to be done now but enjoy the ride!

I agreed with you. I just get sick of "expert" posters here that discount any argument anyone makes as stupid if it is not in agreement with their point of view.

John Bender*

What concussion? He hasn't had any in his career. He had a "left quadriceps tendon surgery."

He's on a 60 point pace playing easy minutes and not getting quite as many PP points as he's accustomed to. What exactly makes him not the same player as he used to be?

Sorry, his injury............I knew he had some major health issues, I thought it was concussion related.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hey i'd love to see a 5% improvement in Roy...

I don't think we'll see it, but i'd love it.

(Edit: Just like i'd love to see Raymond actually be a 2nd liner)

How is Raymond not a second liner now? If you go by sheer points he's 31st among left wingers beating out guys like Sharp, and being close to Lucic in production this year.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Sorry, his injury............I knew he had some major health issues, I thought it was concussion related.

He's had one big injury in his whole career and suddenly that's "major." You guys keep saying his point totals are in decline yet he's on pace for 60 which is only 9 less than in 09-10 while getting more defensively oriented assignments.

StringerBell

Well which one is it? Kesler is definitely faster than Malkin. He's shorter than Malkin, but Kesler's 202lbs and Malkin is 195lbs. Kesler's also stronger than him, but Malkin uses his body better to protect the puck along the boards/shield the puck against defenders. Malkin has more skill and body control, but Kesler is stronger in terms of brute strength.

Faster. Malkin is bigger and stronger.

John Bender*

Derek Roy is an undersized forward that was recently a 40 point player on a non playoff team. Concern that he is not the answer is warranted.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
How is Raymond not a second liner now? If you go by sheer points he's 31st among left wingers beating out guys like Sharp, and being close to Lucic in production this year.

Sharp's played 11 less games than Raymond...

Boston recognized they needed a top 6 winger and got Jagr...

StringerBell

This.

Sedin-Sedin-Burr
Higgins-Kes-Kas
Raymond-Roy-Hansen

Interchange Kassian and Burrows if/when the Sedins are facewashed after every whistle.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Roy-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

Pretty easy to shelter Schroeder in defensive situations too.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Roy-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen

Pretty easy to shelter Schroeder in defensive situations too.

That's what I'd like to see. Higgins and Kesler have looked good together. Maybe even switch Roy and Kesler at center and have Kesler take the draws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia