Speculation: Trade Deadline Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The Kings aren't going to trade Brodzinski for what you are proposing. Klein also does not fit under the cap. The Kings are set for the blue line and need forward help not another defender.

Then there's also the expansion draft to consider. This is an extremely poor fit.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
I really shouldn't have visited the Rangers board. :shakehead

You had to mention it....

The Nash for Martinez, kempe and a first was gold! ( even with retention I wouldn't give Marty)

The brodz trade does nothing at all for us. The only sensible trade would be for Gilbert

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If this upcoming draft is as bad as 1999, you might as well trade the picks away.

member 88115

You had to mention it....

The Nash for Martinez, kempe and a first was gold! ( even with retention I wouldn't give Marty)

The brodz trade does nothing at all for us. The only sensible trade would be for Gilbert

And same poster thinks Sutter is in Love with McNabb and we would be willing to expose Martinez to keep McNabb at the expansion draft. LMAO

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
would tartar and b smith for Martinez and a 3rd make any sense for us? Smith is rhd and tartar played with Kopitar in the worlds and looked good Martinez is from Michigan and would be close to home

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
just curious as a Sens fan (noticed LA scouting the team today)

what would you realistically give up for Ryan that is relatively fair and makes sense for the Kings? any ideas?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nothing does. That would be another big crippling contact that we can't afford to take on. Unless we're sending Gaborik or Brown back.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
how much salary are Gaborik and Martinez combined?

and would you be interested in moving Brown instead?

Gaboriks cap hit is 4.875 and Martinez is 4 mil. 8.875 total cap hit. And yes Brown instead of Gaborik would work too. His cap hit is 5.875 though.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Gaboriks cap hit is 4.875 and Martinez is 4 mil. 8.875 total cap hit. And yes Brown instead of Gaborik would work too. His cap hit is 5.875 though.

well with Brown and Martinez Sens would have to send back a contract or two to make the money work this season.

What about Ryan + Claesson + Hammond for Brown + Martinez?

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
When DL had no pressure and was in rebuild mode, he was awesome!

But the real test is maintaining that level of play and he's been a ****ing disaster. Not ALL his fault (Voynov)...but about 85% is and if the Kings fail to make the playoffs, I'd at least restructure the FO, if not fire him outright.

I think it's time. We got 2 Cups and I'll always have a huge amount of appreciation and respect for him and what he did for us here, but the team's average now with too many grinders, not enough skill, not Cup-worthy at all. They're strapped to some awful contracts and have had no 1st round picks the last 2 years to boot.

I wouldn't trade any of our top 3 Dmen unless we're getting a top 3 younger Dman back. I wouldn't trade any picks from the 4th round and up. I'd only make moves related to the expansion draft. This team proved it can't just flip a switch anymore come playoff time last season. Just goes to show, in a Cap world when you have at least $20M in underperforming contracts...you'll struggle no matter who the other $50M is on your roster.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

But the real test is maintaining that level of play and he's been a ****ing disaster. Not ALL his fault (Voynov)...but about 85% is and if the Kings fail to make the playoffs, I'd at least restructure the FO, if not fire him outright.

I think it's time. We got 2 Cups and I'll always have a huge amount of appreciation and respect for him and what he did for us here, but the team's average now with too many grinders, not enough skill, not Cup-worthy at all. They're strapped to some awful contracts and have had no 1st round picks the last 2 years to boot.

I wouldn't trade any of our top 3 Dmen unless we're getting a top 3 younger Dman back. I wouldn't trade any picks from the 4th round and up. I'd only make moves related to the expansion draft. This team proved it can't just flip a switch anymore come playoff time last season. Just goes to show, in a Cap world when you have at least $20M in underperforming contracts...you'll struggle no matter who the other $50M is on your roster.

I have been thinking for about a year now it's time for Dean to move upstairs and let Futa take the reins as GM.

The change in culture has been fantastic during Dean's tenure, but I am beginning to see signs it is a little shaky lately.

I would be okay with trading Martinez or Muzzin depending on the return. If it netted the Kings an up and coming forward not requiring protection in the expansion draft and a 1st round pick, go for it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I have been thinking for about a year now it's time for Dean to move upstairs and let Futa take the reins as GM.

The change in culture has been fantastic during Dean's tenure, but I am beginning to see signs it is a little shaky lately.

I would be okay with trading Martinez or Muzzin depending on the return. If it netted the Kings an up and coming forward not requiring protection in the expansion draft and a 1st round pick, go for it.

I agree with every bit of this. I actually took Dean's words about hanging on to picks prospects as a sign he may be thinking the same (although Occam's Razor would say he just realizes we've overextended and if he wants to keep the org healthy long term we have to restock).

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles

I dont disagree with anything you are saying here. But as far as changing roles, I dont see it happening yet, not this year at least. What role would Dean even take "upstairs", or is it just staying as President and giving up the GM title?

Everyone should be ok with Martinez or Muzzin moving if the return is a 1st + a legit forward scoring threat that isnt just a speculative prospect and doesnt require expansion draft protection. That would be the right return.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Where do you get 85%? Should he have let Gaborik walk? Or paid him a higher cap hit for fewer seasons, if that would've even been possible at the time? Known Brown would fall of a cliff in the last year of his previous deal? Maybe he could've waited to give him the extension at least. Trade Kopitar before having to sign him?

Just goes to show, in a Cap world when you have at least $20M in underperforming contracts...you'll struggle no matter who the other $50M is on your roster.

And you want to hand that over to a new GM? Hinder him right off the bat? What's the rush? Those big contracts aren't going anywhere.

Lombardi did the right thing last summer. He sat on his hands. Signed a few warm bodies. The young guys either kept or won jobs, and those warm bodies are disappearing. Unless a new GM is trading Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, and Martinez, there won't be much of a dent in the cap. Would a new GM trade Doughty? Could get a lot for Doughty at $7m for 2 more years.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I dont disagree with anything you are saying here. But as far as changing roles, I dont see it happening yet, not this year at least. What role would Dean even take "upstairs", or is it just staying as President and giving up the GM title?

Everyone should be ok with Martinez or Muzzin moving if the return is a 1st + a legit forward scoring threat that isnt just a speculative prospect and doesnt require expansion draft protection. That would be the right return.

It could be as simple as this. Obviously Uncle Phil would have a say, and Futa would be due a good size raise if he took over as GM.

I think it may be time for Futa as someone involved in developing the culture, but with what could be a fresh perspective on the players in the organization.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Where do you get 85%? Should he have let Gaborik walk? Or paid him a higher cap hit for fewer seasons, if that would've even been possible at the time? Known Brown would fall of a cliff in the last year of his previous deal? Maybe he could've waited to give him the extension at least. Trade Kopitar before having to sign him?

And you want to hand that over to a new GM? Hinder him right off the bat? What's the rush? Those big contracts aren't going anywhere.

Lombardi did the right thing last summer. He sat on his hands. Signed a few warm bodies. The young guys either kept or won jobs, and those warm bodies are disappearing. Unless a new GM is trading Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, and Martinez, there won't be much of a dent in the cap. Would a new GM trade Doughty? Could get a lot for Doughty at $7m for 2 more years.

If I was an incoming GM to this team, I'd move Carter and Martinez. Clear out cap, get good young kids and picks.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If I was an incoming GM to this team, I'd move Carter and Martinez. Clear out cap, get good young kids and picks.

I agree with this, even though many would say moving Carter is a big mistake.

I look at it this way. Can Carter continue to perform somewhat close to this level for the next 3 or 4 years? Maybe, or just somewhat under his current level of performance.

Will that type of performance by Carter, even if everything goes right with the current batch of prospects the Kings have, get them back into cup contention in the next 3 or 4 years? Probably not.

So, I would trade Carter to a team on the verge of breaking through for some of their best young players. Could be that type of deal is more likely to happen after the expansion draft.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I'd trade the entire middle class of the team that could be moved. Carter, Martinez, and the other three I mentioned. Toffoli isn't going to score all that many more goals per season, while his contract probably doubles. Pearson, same thing. Muzzin, if you're not competing, why keep him? Want to throw Lewis in there, that's fine too.

Kopitar, Quick, Brown, and Gaborik are untradeable for one reason or another. I guess you keep Doughty, but he's not going to get better while his price goes up in a few years either. Trade anyone else that's worth something, and keep these 4 or 5 around while their contracts slowly expire. By the time Brown and Gaborik are gone, the picks and prospects gotten for the other guys are coming up, hopefully with positive results. Then you have a young foundation to support an older Kopitar, Quick, and Doughty.

That's mostly video game stuff though. That much wouldn't happen in reality.

Of course if Gaborik were to for some crazy reason retire, that would help. If Vegas were to take Brown for another crazy reason, that would help. Failing that, we've got a good idea of what the team is in the last 224 games. With or without Quick in net.

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
Complaining about Dustin Brown and then eager to acquire Bobby "don't give a f***" Ryan with bigger cap hit.:rant::shakehead:cry:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What do you guys think would be an acceptable return for Carter?

I also worry that trading Carter would be a sign that the new direction the team will be headed in is not something a competitive guy like Drew Doughty would be on board with, and it could complicate matters when his contract is up.

The team certainly does need a retooling though, but Jeff Carter is probably among the last names I'd consider moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad